gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:12:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: You've Lost 'You've Lost That Loving Feelin's's Loving Feelin'  (Read 30365 times)
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 29, 2013, 09:02:50 AM »

As I said earlier, I corrected my varispeeded mix of the boot but that was blocked from the world.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 29, 2013, 12:27:16 PM »

There are a lot of instances in the box set where I wonder if some far out artistic liberties were really taken by BDW, or if it's a retcon by Linnet. Either way, it works here.

Lots of retconning. More successful on some songs than others.

Is there anything vintage about Sail Plane Song? It feels like a modern attempt by Linett to polish off a demo into a real song by adding lots of effects and I'm not really sure I like it.

It was released on the Endless Harmony soundtrack back in 98, and Mark wasn't involved in that project. (At least not the first CD issue with the horrid orange cover.) All of the instrumentation is on the original, but the mix is new and rather ... um ... experimental. Panning and reverb effects at the end. Can't imagine that was Brian's intent, but it was certainly Al's with Loop de Loop.

Oh I mean compared to the EH version, is there anything vintage about this new mix? I know that the basic track is vintage.

Unless Mark or Alan say otherwise, I would wager money on the answer being no. Seems like they really wanted to give the impression that all the studio tracks on the first five discs were finished -- which means futzing around with the things like Sail Plane Song that were really just demos.

Other tracks where that seems apparent (to me) are things like We're Together Again (with a magical new string section), all the Smile stuff mixed in 2011, the tweaked Goin to the Beach and YSAM, and remixed 15BO tracks (after all, that's the one BB album where everyone agrees the original mix totally sucks).

The We're Together Again string section is vintage, only the mix is new.  What was tweaked on Goin' to the Beach?  The vocals are vintage.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 02, 2013, 06:54:56 AM »

lol @ "magical new string section."

Also, "Goin' To The Beach" had the guitar/sax solo added recently because one was never recorded in 1980 on an otherwise finished song. I don't find an addition like that wrong. I'm just glad someone didn't add a guitar solo to the supposed "guitar solo" section of "Live Again" which is, in fact, not a guitar solo section at all.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 02, 2013, 06:58:23 AM »

These are mixes that were put together by people that I admire and who really got me seriously interested in a career of recording and production and these mixes don't deserve to be "tinkered" with simply because we're living in a digital age or because an individual wants to put their personal touches onto them.  These recordings are of a time and deserve to be treated with respect.  By all means, sort out things like "drop outs" etc. but don't start changing the overall sound.  If a listener goes home and thinks, "Well, I don't think there's enough bass or treble on this so I'm going to turn those up on my graphic equalizer." then by all means, but when I buy a box set containing music by a legendary group like the Beach Boys I expect to hear their mixes, no matter how bad some may be.   

What if a song went unmixed? Or if only a reference mixdown was made with the intent of doing a proper mix later which never ended up happening?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Gohi
« Reply #179 on: November 02, 2013, 07:00:21 AM »

lol @ "magical new string section."
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx