gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 09:36:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Wild Honey (New Jersey 1972)" from MIC previewed on Yahoo Music  (Read 12621 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2013, 07:34:44 PM »

Yeah! You know it looks like Carter switches from bass to lead guitar halfway through the video. And Ed's definitely playing lead riffs! So maybe it's only Carter on lead but it's hard to tell because you see Carter playing lead on the Les Paul later in the video. Was this a video splice or Did Ed put down the bass and pick up the Les Paul? Or were both Blondie AND Carter playing the guitar riffs? Doesn't seem logical - somebody's gotta be playing bass!

Let's hear from C-man and see what he thinks.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2013, 07:44:13 PM »

Hmm, that's interesting. It definitely seems odd how fast Ed was able to switch instruments.
Also, I'm positive that the notes we see Ed playing on the guitar don't match with the ones we hear on the recording.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2013, 08:35:04 PM »

Then it was a video splice, eh? I can't see Ed switching instruments in the middle of a song anyway. Doesn't make sense. If he puts down the bass, who's gonna play bass? Probably not a keyboard. Gotta be two video segments from different songs.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2013, 08:38:06 PM »

I reckon that it's just random editing as it occurs at other times during the Good Vibrations from London footage.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 19, 2013, 09:00:47 PM »

This is pretty cool overall...lead vocal is much better than Carl's on the album version (not hard...Carl's weakest vocal performance, imo).  It is rushed...it would have rocked harder if it was slowed down slightly. Also, Mike really, really sucks at playing the theramin. I mean, I know it's not an easy thing to play, but if it's going to be that out of tune, leave it out of the performance altogether.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 19, 2013, 09:01:03 PM »

Yeah! You know it looks like Carter switches from bass to lead guitar halfway through the video. And Ed's definitely playing lead riffs! So maybe it's only Carter on lead but it's hard to tell because you see Carter playing lead on the Les Paul later in the video. Was this a video splice or Did Ed put down the bass and pick up the Les Paul? Or were both Blondie AND Carter playing the guitar riffs? Doesn't seem logical - somebody's gotta be playing bass!

Hmm, that's interesting. It definitely seems odd how fast Ed was able to switch instruments.
Also, I'm positive that the notes we see Ed playing on the guitar don't match with the ones we hear on the recording.

Yep.

There's NO way Ed switched guitars in 5 seconds. It has to be from a different video
And Ed definitely starts the video playing bass and continues until at least 2:04, so that means spliced shots.

Video is a bit cleaner here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpmYn0Ahgb8

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 19, 2013, 09:26:09 PM »

This is pretty cool overall...lead vocal is much better than Carl's on the album version (not hard...Carl's weakest vocal performance, imo).  It is rushed...it would have rocked harder if it was slowed down slightly. Also, Mike really, really sucks at playing the theramin. I mean, I know it's not an easy thing to play, but if it's going to be that out of tune, leave it out of the performance altogether.

Funny, "Wild Honey" is probably in my top 5 Carl vocal performances and I love the f*** out of the theremin in this version and wish it hadn't been mixed so low. TELL ME I'M NOT ALONE Cry

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 19, 2013, 09:27:21 PM »

Having heard this version, I now know what this song is about.  Grin  Evil

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 19, 2013, 09:36:30 PM »

Yep.

There's NO way Ed switched guitars in 5 seconds. It has to be from a different video
And Ed definitely starts the video playing bass and continues until at least 2:04, so that means spliced shots.

Video is a bit cleaner here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpmYn0Ahgb8

Yeah, MUCH cleaner. That's the best I've ever seen that clip. Sure would be cool to see the entire concert, wouldn't it? So Billy Hinsche WAS there as I see him on keys next to Dragon and later on guitar on Rhonda.

Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 19, 2013, 09:43:44 PM »

That's TOTALLY a splice, or more accurately a completely horrible edit!  Grin  I've always hated that and the worst part is someone somewhere took footage from THAT period (which is SO hard to come by) and tossed it.  I'd hold hope that the whole thing is safely stashed somewhere but the "professional" level of skill used in the editing process makes me think that hope would be pointless.   Cry
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 19, 2013, 09:52:46 PM »

At Bellagio 10452, AGD mentions that the Good Vibrations from London broadcast featured four songs by The Beach Boys. Anyone know what that fourth song was?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 11:49:33 PM by metal flake paint » Logged

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 19, 2013, 10:02:53 PM »

Going from memory(never a good idea), I think one of the songs they played was Darlin'.

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 19, 2013, 11:46:32 PM »

Funny, "Wild Honey" is probably in my top 5 Carl vocal performances and I love the f*** out of the theremin in this version and wish it hadn't been mixed so low. TELL ME I'M NOT ALONE Cry

It's one of my favorite Carl performances too! Some of it sounds a bit over-the-top and that's part of the fun. Overall I find his singing very convincing on this song and much more so than on most other actual rock songs he was going to attempt later in his career.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 19, 2013, 11:50:40 PM »

Going from memory(never a good idea), I think one of the songs they played was Darlin'.
Sounds plausible. Thanks.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 20, 2013, 12:40:42 AM »

I have an audio recording of it somewhere. I'll check tonight and report back.

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 20, 2013, 01:55:39 AM »

I agree. The theremin is arguably better when slightly off tune and makes for that 'spooky' sound Brian so enjoyed. It's still audible luckily.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 20, 2013, 03:00:26 AM »

Just to Follow up, I have found three songs listed. Do It Again, Wild Honey, and Help Me Rhonda.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 20, 2013, 04:13:08 AM »

You're not alone. I love everything about the song, especially Carl and Bruce's funky organ break.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 20, 2013, 04:52:36 AM »

Just to Follow up, I have found three songs listed. Do It Again, Wild Honey, and Help Me Rhonda.
Hmmm, that fourth song remains a mystery then.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 20, 2013, 05:10:46 AM »

Fhttp://r1.ace.advertising.com/click/site=0000854780/mnum=0001386814/cstr=85594167=_51c83137,2574248804,854780_1386814_87_0,1_/xsxdata=$XSXDATA/bnum=85594167unny, "Wild Honey" is probably in my top 5 Carl vocal performances and I love the f*** out of the theremin in this version and wish it hadn't been mixed so low. TELL ME I'M NOT ALONE Cry

You are not alone, I wish it was higher as well.  It's cool to see Mike crouched down on the (Elton-London-Blondie) clip and playing it. (Theremin.) But, I think he did a pretty good job at it.  Did Good Vibes, live, from the outset, and it sounded great.

Carl did do an outstanding job on WH and everything he sang. 
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 20, 2013, 05:14:56 AM »

Here you go guys....as an mp3

http://www.sendspace.com/file/4qzdr0

I've been listening to this all morning along with Rhonda-I'm not sure I'll make it to the weekend for this boxset!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 20, 2013, 05:15:29 AM »

Thanks!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 20, 2013, 05:29:47 AM »

I've been listening to this all morning along with Rhonda-I'm not sure I'll make it to the weekend for this boxset!

Cheers mate Smiley
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 20, 2013, 06:36:48 AM »

Thank you, Cliff1000uk! Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 20, 2013, 09:11:53 AM »

Thanks again!  You're certainly doing your part for the community today.   Smiley
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx