gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 03:06:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al Jardine says there's a BAD conflict w/Mike. Aka: The welcome back AGD thread  (Read 60004 times)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: August 18, 2013, 10:34:37 PM »

M. WILSON: He's got some Bruce with him...

B. WILSON: Bruce Johnston.

"Some Bruce." Classic.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 18, 2013, 10:37:52 PM »

I think we may be talking about two different things, or I maybe I don't get it. If you don't need a license for a fair use of the trademark then the license doesn't matter. I think Mike has an exclusive license but BAD may be able to use the name in ways without the license. I think that is what the court said, Al used the name in improper ways and also operated as if and claimed he had a license but it had not been approved or signed off on by BRI but presumably Al could use the name in proper ways without the license.  Or not.

On the old Larry King interview with Brian and Melinda, they talked about "the BRI license" which sounds like one license. And, they said it went to Mike because he was "family." I wonder if it is on YouTube.  If I had to guess, it was probably around 2004 during the SMiLE promotion.  (I'm guessing.)

Not on youtube but here is part of the transcript.

KING: How long were you a group?

B. WILSON: From 1961 to 1998. Then we broke up after Carl died. Which is too bad.

KING: And Mike, he has the group now, is that it...

B. WILSON: He licenses the name, yes.

M. WILSON: We licensed the name to Mike because he is actually the only one that really -- well, I shouldn't say the only one, Al would like to too, but we decided Mike would be the guy who...

KING: So he takes the group out called the Beach Boys.

M. WILSON: Yes. And the other ones I really don't know who...

KING: But they go out and they have the license to use the name.

M. WILSON: They have the license to use the name.

KING: And you get a cut of what they do?

M. WILSON: Yes.

KING: So you get a percentage.

M. WILSON: Mmm-hmm.
Tells us absolutely nothing we don't already know. Bummer. Sounds like it was even pre-Al lawsuit.

Anyway, I've read the tea leaves as far as I can tell. Will await Al's next interview with interest.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #302 on: August 18, 2013, 10:54:17 PM »

"Some Bruce?"

Did she really not know who Bruce was?

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 19, 2013, 06:13:30 AM »

I think we may be talking about two different things, or I maybe I don't get it. If you don't need a license for a fair use of the trademark then the license doesn't matter. I think Mike has an exclusive license but BAD may be able to use the name in ways without the license. I think that is what the court said, Al used the name in improper ways and also operated as if and claimed he had a license but it had not been approved or signed off on by BRI but presumably Al could use the name in proper ways without the license.  Or not.
On the old Larry King interview with Brian and Melinda, they talked about "the BRI license" which sounds like one license. And, they said it went to Mike because he was "family." I wonder if it is on YouTube.  If I had to guess, it was probably around 2004 during the SMiLE promotion.  (I'm guessing.)
Not on youtube but here is part of the transcript.

KING: How long were you a group?

B. WILSON: From 1961 to 1998. Then we broke up after Carl died. Which is too bad.

KING: And Mike, he has the group now, is that it...

B. WILSON: He licenses the name, yes.

M. WILSON: We licensed the name to Mike because he is actually the only one that really -- well, I shouldn't say the only one, Al would like to too, but we decided Mike would be the guy who...

KING: So he takes the group out called the Beach Boys.

M. WILSON: Yes. And the other ones I really don't know who...

KING: But they go out and they have the license to use the name.

M. WILSON: They have the license to use the name.

KING: And you get a cut of what they do?

M. WILSON: Yes.

KING: So you get a percentage.

M. WILSON: Mmm-hmm.
Tells us absolutely nothing we don't already know. Bummer. Sounds like it was even pre-Al lawsuit.

Anyway, I've read the tea leaves as far as I can tell. Will await Al's next interview with interest.
No, it does help.  I think that transcript followed the lawsuit.  Thanks for posting it. It was argued and submitted - Nov. 6, 2002 --Jan. 28, 2003.  SMiLE came out in 2004.  It was settled. The Court cited a case called Thane Intl., 305 F.3d at 900, "the nominative fair use defense shifts to the defendant the burden of proving no likelihood of confusion." The fair use analysis was not available to Al because there "was a likelihood of customer confusion as to the origin of the product."  The court also said that "actual confusion is undisputed." Under Thane, "if enough people have actually been confused," that element of marketplace confusion is established.

A Playboy case was cited, Playboy, 279 F.3d at 802, where the defendant had identified herself as "Playmate of the Year."
That means Playboy Playmate. It is not generic. It is "brand" related.  They are classified as:
 G-eneric
 A-rtisic (fanciful)
 D-escriptive
 S-uggestive

A nmemonic to remember them!  Wink

They also looked at "secondary meaning" in the minds of consumers.  That means that the "descriptive" term has become distinctive as well. 
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 19, 2013, 08:56:40 AM »

CNN's transcript says the Larry King LIVE interview "Aired August 20, 2004".

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
oldsurferdude
« Reply #305 on: August 19, 2013, 09:00:58 AM »

"Some Bruce?"

She would be in the same category as most people on the planet. Grin
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #306 on: August 19, 2013, 09:13:24 AM »

Confirming a recent question, *yes* there were several "Beach Boys" live shows being promoted after the 50th tour had wrapped, and those shows were strictly the Mike-led band with Bruce, yet the online advertising was mentioning the reunion. This, I'd think, would be in conflict with several agreements least of which would be what the promoters and the audiences would be paying for when they paid for the "Beach Boys", and listed the reunion band.

I posted at least two of these cases on this board as they happened, of course the links will be dead by now but I can say for certain there was what I felt was some misunderstanding, confusion, and/or basic ignorance - for whatever reasons - of what was being advertised versus who would be appearing on stage. And if I recall there were changes made to those advertisements and listings, but we'll never know how many folks not connected to the BB's fan universe saw the ads and bought tickets thinking it was a reunion show.

Consider this: Reading through the previous pages, one of the key elements in the legal aspects of using this or any brand name is avoiding confusion among those customers paying for that brand item and expecting to get a specific result.

The fact that even one venue, promoter, or marketer advertised a post-reunion show incorrectly would suggest there were some flaws in the existing agreement from that time, post-reunion.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #307 on: August 19, 2013, 09:16:20 AM »

And let me add too that there does thankfully seem to be something legal in the books which would control who or what can release any new music under the name "The Beach Boys".

If this were *not* in place, I'd suggest the reputation and legacy behind that name would not only stand to be tarnished but also possibly dragged through the mud and destroyed completely.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Nicko1234
« Reply #308 on: August 19, 2013, 09:29:01 AM »

"Some Bruce." Classic.

I think it was confirmed by everybody who watched this at the time that Melinda did NOT make the 'some Bruce' comment.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 19, 2013, 10:09:50 AM »

"Some Bruce." Classic.
I think it was confirmed by everybody who watched this at the time that Melinda did NOT make the 'some Bruce' comment.
If I had to guess, it is likely "scrivenor's error" on the part of the transcriptionist.  She may have very quickly said "someone named" Bruce (Johnston) - in order to "identify members" of the Touring Band arrangement.

And, I would probably remember a comment like that.  Think it is a boo-boo!  Wink
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 10:11:30 AM by filledeplage » Logged
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 19, 2013, 10:27:51 AM »

"Some Bruce." Classic.
If I had to guess, it is likely "scrivenor's error" on the part of the transcriptionist.  She may have very quickly said "someone named" Bruce (Johnston) - in order to "identify members" of the Touring Band arrangement.

And, I would probably remember a comment like that.  Think it is a boo-boo!  Wink

I have this episode on VHS and I seem to recall her saying Bruce and not "some Bruce". Things I do recall are Melinda cutting off Brian when he tried to state that Landy had written songs (Brian being honest and Melinda trying her hand at revisionism) and Larry asking if at one point they were called Glen Campbell and The Beach Boys!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 19, 2013, 02:12:03 PM »

CNN's transcript says the Larry King LIVE interview "Aired August 20, 2004".

When Al won his second appeal, he had a suit pending.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/Music/11/13/music.beachboys.reut/

In 2008, a settlement was made between him and Mike. I imagine this set new guidelines for the license. Wonder if the terms of this settlement ever came out.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/03/21/lawsuit-settled-over-beac_n_92706.html
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 02:17:22 PM by Oregon River Rider » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 19, 2013, 06:03:45 PM »

I wonder how Al felt about his son Matt appearing with Mike and Bruce a few months ago.

I also wonder who has the tie-breaking vote in BRI, since it's four parties. Carl's family must have given Mike permission to use his image in the BB show. So, if that's a sign that Carl's family is on Mike's side if there is a dispute, and if Brian decided to team with Al on any issues, who would break the tie?
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 20, 2013, 03:56:13 AM »

How do we know that the "conflict" in the organization isn't Al v. Brian and Mike and Carl's estate? Has anyone heard Brian even wants to use the trademark on his solo tours? It seems to me that Al [and some fans] is only one playing up Brian's solo concerts as a defacto or continuation BB reunion. Is there any indication or evidence that BDub isn't perfectly happy with "Brian Wilson featuring Al Jardine and David Marks"?

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 20, 2013, 03:59:36 AM »

I wonder how Al felt about his son Matt appearing with Mike and Bruce a few months ago.

I also wonder who has the tie-breaking vote in BRI, since it's four parties. Carl's family must have given Mike permission to use his image in the BB show. So, if that's a sign that Carl's family is on Mike's side if there is a dispute, and if Brian decided to team with Al on any issues, who would break the tie?

I presume there would be no action and things would stay the same until they expired or some consensus jelled.

Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: August 20, 2013, 06:24:17 PM »

There is no such thing as a 'tie breaker" in this BRI voting dilemma

If it runs amuck, call the duck
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 20, 2013, 06:28:04 PM »

Somebody would have to decide if there is ever a disagreement of two parties vs. two parties.  Unless one of the four parties has a larger percentage than the other three, of course. 
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 20, 2013, 07:24:22 PM »

How do we know that the "conflict" in the organization isn't Al v. Brian and Mike and Carl's estate? Has anyone heard Brian even wants to use the trademark on his solo tours? It seems to me that Al [and some fans] is only one playing up Brian's solo concerts as a defacto or continuation BB reunion. Is there any indication or evidence that BDub isn't perfectly happy with "Brian Wilson featuring Al Jardine and David Marks"?

Do you have any interest in the groups music? Or do you just like the soap opera sh*t? Cuz I noticed you don't really post in the threads about the new, previously unreleased music that's coming out on Made In California or when Brian announced his new album or any of that stuff. Seems you care more about making sure Mike doesn't get blamed for SMiLE getting shelved or for ending C50 or for cheating on his wife on tour.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 20, 2013, 07:38:52 PM »

Do you have any interest in the groups music? Or do you just like the soap opera sh*t? Cuz I noticed you don't really post in the threads about the new, previously unreleased music that's coming out on Made In California or when Brian announced his new album or any of that stuff. Seems you care more about making sure Mike doesn't get blamed for SMiLE getting shelved or for ending C50 or for cheating on his wife on tour.

Does ANYONE really care whether Mike is cheating on his wife on tour?  The ohers, yeah, I can see the imprtance

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 20, 2013, 07:45:45 PM »

"Some Bruce?"

I remember in an interview Brian said he wouldn't even recognize Bruce if he saw him in public.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 20, 2013, 08:04:25 PM »

Do you have any interest in the groups music? Or do you just like the soap opera sh*t?

Cam ain't the only one on these type threads.  I see your name pop up constantly on them, so don't blame him or anybody else for their interest in the soap opera sh*t because you're always right in the middle of it!!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 20, 2013, 08:06:05 PM »

i agree with that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 20, 2013, 08:19:36 PM »

Do you have any interest in the groups music? Or do you just like the soap opera sh*t?

Cam ain't the only one on these type threads.  I see your name pop up constantly on them, so don't blame him or anybody else for their interest in the soap opera sh*t because you're always right in the middle of it!!

I agree with that. But I also actually post in the threads about the group's music. Unlike other posters who apparently don't have anything to contribute except when it comes to Mike being unfairly blamed for stuff in their opinion. Kinda like how Phil Cohen only popped up to complain about non-releases. Cam only pops up when it's about internecine squabbles. Weird.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 21, 2013, 02:18:32 AM »

Do I have to choose? Is there a quota I'm not aware of? 

So have you heard Brian express any desire to use the trademark for his solo with guests tours?

Edit: Is your problem with me over this story that no one can tell but gets told by PM and obliquely alluded to often and seems to be just hearsay but supposedly according to someone I condone adultery? I don't condone adultery. I've been married to the same woman for 39 years. Are we better yet?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 02:32:04 AM by Cam Mott » Logged

Nicko1234
« Reply #324 on: August 21, 2013, 03:29:16 AM »

I agree with that. But I also actually post in the threads about the group's music. Unlike other posters who apparently don't have anything to contribute except when it comes to Mike being unfairly blamed for stuff in their opinion. Kinda like how Phil Cohen only popped up to complain about non-releases. Cam only pops up when it's about internecine squabbles. Weird.

I've mentioned it before but it does seem bizarre that you are obsessed with Cam's posts. Most of your posts seem to be responses to his or references to him.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx