gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:51:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al Jardine says there's a BAD conflict w/Mike. Aka: The welcome back AGD thread  (Read 59624 times)
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2013, 11:42:31 AM »

Wonder if Howie wrote this?

Al says Brian, Al and David want to bill themselves as Original Beach Boys. Apparently, Mike is fighting it.

http://www.wmmr.com/music/news/story.aspx?ID=2025029

Enjoy! These guys really know how to promote a box set!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 08:03:03 PM by Oregon River Rider » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 11:43:50 AM »

I love those guys. w00t!
Jason
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 11:44:39 AM »

Well, I don't recall ever hearing that Michael's license said that the other members couldn't be introduced as "Beach Boy Brian/Al/David".
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 11:46:57 AM »

AL: " I hope they would accept us in a couple of years if we decided to do it again. I, I don't know if they'd believe us. There's still this negative bias going on, even as we speak. Contrary things coming out. Let's put it this way; there's conflict in the Beach Boys organization about how to present it. We would like to present ourselves as 'original Beach Boys' so that the press knows who we are. Not everybody knows the individuals. By now, hopefully, everybody knows who Brian Wilson is and who Jeff Beck is and Al Jardine is and Dave Marks. We may find ourselves faced with legal obstruction -- let's put it that way."

Holy The Real Ghostbusters, Batman!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 11:53:42 AM »

Well, I don't recall ever hearing that Michael's license said that the other members couldn't be introduced as "Beach Boy Brian/Al/David".
"The Greek Theatre is proud to present Original Beach Boys Brian Wilson, Al Jardine and David Marks in concert with special guest Jeff Beck." Apparently, Mike says no. Violates his license.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 11:55:06 AM »

It just never stops, does it?  Fifty freaking years of working together and they just cannot work it out.

I love the music, the guys seem pretty okay and all (everybody has their issues in life, but basically, these are fellas just making music, preaching some good messages and not out there axe-murdering anybody, or anything), and it's been proven, as of one year ago, that if and when the members of the group are able to put everything out on the table and just compromise like rational adults, this thing is workable and the public is responsive.

It's gotten to the point where it's beyond funny, ironic, amusing or bemusing self-caricature.  It's just plain pathetic tedium.  Boring.  My take?  Either get it together, or shut up about it in the press.  It's not doing anyone, on any side, any good anymore.
RonBaker2003
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 12:00:45 PM »

I like this quote from the article:  "Out now is the Beach Boys' latest concert collection, called Live: The 50th Anniversary Tour, which features reunited co-founders Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine, David Marks, and longtime member Bruce Johnston."
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 12:05:40 PM »

This one is pretty cold re:Brian:

"WHAT DO YOU THINK???

Does all this continued bad blood simply underscore the fact that these people shouldn't be in each other's lives in ANY CAPACITY, let alone working and traveling together???From what you know of the Beach Boys saga, does it all come down to the fact that Mike Love's always been jealous of his cousin Brian Wilson's talent and money

-- or has Mike Love kept the Beach Boys name and music alive for 50 years on the road and he shouldn't have to answer to a mentally diminished recovering drug addict just because he was brilliant in the 1960's???"

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 12:10:46 PM »

"WHAT DO YOU THINK???

Does all this continued bad blood simply underscore the fact that these people shouldn't be in each other's lives in ANY CAPACITY, let alone working and traveling together???From what you know of the Beach Boys saga, does it all come down to the fact that Mike Love's always been jealous of his cousin Brian Wilson's talent and money

-- or has Mike Love kept the Beach Boys name and music alive for 50 years on the road and he shouldn't have to answer to a mentally diminished recovering drug addict just because he was brilliant in the 1960's???"
That's just . . poor.
Nicko1234
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 12:11:20 PM »

Out of interest, does Brian really have that much more money than Mike that Mike would be jealous of that? Surely Mike has made stacks over the years.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 12:21:29 PM »

"WHAT DO YOU THINK???

That's just . . poor.

And I'm pretty sure that was written by Stebbins pal Howie Edelson. I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure all of the Beach Boys articles coming from that site are by him.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 12:34:31 PM »

"WHAT DO YOU THINK???

That's just . . poor.

And I'm pretty sure that was written by Stebbins pal Howie Edelson. I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure all of the Beach Boys articles coming from that site are by him.
Yeah, I think Howie has an Al connection. Surprised he would phrase a question like " -- or has Mike Love kept the Beach Boys name and music alive for 50 years on the road and he shouldn't have to answer to a mentally diminished recovering drug addict just because he was brilliant in the 1960's???"

In any event, this explains the newly, even more negative Mike interview. Sounds like a replay of the Al license thing. Brian, Al and David want to overtly promote themselves as original BBs but not pay a license fee. Mike says, now hood on, I have the license and you can't have your cake and eat it too. I see both sides. Glad I am not a judge but the lawyers must be licking their chops!

Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 12:36:41 PM »

You know...as much as we knock Mike, Al really is as much of an instigator.
Nicko1234
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 12:44:55 PM »

Yeah, I think Howie has an Al connection. Surprised he would phrase a question like " -- or has Mike Love kept the Beach Boys name and music alive for 50 years on the road and he shouldn't have to answer to a mentally diminished recovering drug addict just because he was brilliant in the 1960's???"

In any event, this explains the newly, even more negative Mike interview. Sounds like a replay of the Al license thing. Brian, Al and David want to overtly promote themselves as original BBs but not pay a license fee. Mike says, now hood on, I have the license and you can't have your cake and eat it too. I see both sides. Glad I am not a judge but the lawyers must be licking their chops!

It is quite ugly that he takes shots at both Mike and Brian in that question.

I agree about seeing both sides but hope the lawyers won't be needed. The tour is starting fairly soon after all...
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 12:47:52 PM »

You know...as much as we knock Mike, Al really is as much of an instigator.
We really don't know what's going on behind the scenes (obviously big things). These guys are making chess moves. Brian's mgt may be using Al as their mouth piece.

BAD just did only 8 dates? Why? Promotional problems? Fix- bill themselves as Original Beach Boys.
Mike says no, it hinders my ability to tour as the BBs.

Nicko1234
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 12:51:07 PM »

Out of interest, would David have any legal right at all to bill himself as an 'original Beach Boy'?
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 12:52:50 PM »

Yeah, I think Howie has an Al connection. Surprised he would phrase a question like " -- or has Mike Love kept the Beach Boys name and music alive for 50 years on the road and he shouldn't have to answer to a mentally diminished recovering drug addict just because he was brilliant in the 1960's???"

It is quite ugly that he takes shots at both Mike and Brian in that question.

I agree about seeing both sides but hope the lawyers won't be needed. The tour is starting fairly soon after all...
Agree!!! Unfortunetly, these guys sue and Al says "We may find ourselves faced with legal obstruction -- let's put it that way." Sounds like BAD expressed their intention to promote themselves as original BBs and Mike's lawyer wrote back saying "foul".

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 01:01:31 PM »

Out of interest, would David have any legal right at all to bill himself as an 'original Beach Boy'?
That's a very interesting legal question! I have no clue except if that were a complaint, BAD could counter that Mike has bern promoting Bruce as an original member for years ( which he clearly isn't while David was on the first album and concert tour).

http://www.beachboysband.net/TOURSCH/BB_TOUR_SCH.htm

Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 01:03:18 PM »

yes, absolutely
oldsurferdude
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2013, 01:06:04 PM »

It's all very easy-the group with the most BB's in it gets to use the name-Sorry, mYke, you lost your hair and now you're probably gonna lose the name which you never should have had in the first place. And I don't care how much Brian makes from the lovesTer's road trips.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2013, 01:09:45 PM »

It's all very easy-the group with the most BB's in it gets to use the name-Sorry, mYke, you lost your hair and now you're probably gonna lose the name which you never should have had in the first place. And I don't care how much Brian makes from the lovesTer's road trips.

As much of a Myke Lover that I am, I really really just wish the guy would quit doing interviews....
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2013, 01:45:46 PM »

Mike is an original Beach Boy too...
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2013, 01:47:40 PM »

Mike is an original Beach Boy too...
Absolutely!  But your point is?

Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2013, 01:50:38 PM »

Well, the name original Beach Boys implies ALL the remaining original Beach Boys are in the group. That wouldn't be true if Mike wasn't involved.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2013, 01:52:43 PM »

Too many legal ambiguities. One can certainly describe themselves as whatever they are. When it starts being applied to billings for shows, it gets into a grey area, as that "Billing" can morph into a "band name" sometimes.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx