gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680880 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 07:45:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Billboard ariticle on Mike and song writing w/ Brian issues from last album  (Read 43467 times)
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 17, 2013, 06:58:59 AM »

Great link!! Was that the interview where he said he just wanted to write hits with his cousin?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgepFKVVKVE

Maybe Michael meant I just wanna get Brian alone in a room and hit him.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 17, 2013, 10:35:53 AM »

Your break is granted. Is there more information?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 17, 2013, 11:21:46 AM »

Well apparently you have it. You know the particulars of Brian and Mike's discussions before C50. Please share them with us Cam!
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 17, 2013, 12:13:57 PM »

Well apparently you have it. You know the particulars of Brian and Mike's discussions before C50. Please share them with us Cam!

You have Mike's info. Is Brian denying it?

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 17, 2013, 02:15:38 PM »

Denying what? That he's a brainwashed zombie who is manipulated by his wife and managers and Joe Thomas to not work with Mike Love? Why would he even want to tackle that one? He seems pretty damn happy with TWGMTR and the resultant tour and besides how it ended he's seemed pretty happy overall with it. No public complaints. Which would lead me to believe he's not as upset with not working with Mike IN A ROOM TOGETHER as Mike would seem to think. In fact, I doubt Brian cares at all that he isn't writing with Mike.

I'm also gonna throw this out there: I really do hope Mike does lose the license if Brian and Al wanna to take it away. And if Carl's estate is on the fence, then Brian and Al and their people should tell them to think about what their husband/father would do if he were here to decide. I think we know which side he would pick.

And I have the feeling that if The Beach Boys name were held aside only for full group events, and the the current groups would be separated into Mike Love's Endless Summer Maharishi Beach Band and Brian Wilson (featuring Al Jardine and David Marks) that Moneybags Johnston might even switch sides. I think if it were down to him and Mike slummin' around without the true Beach Boys moniker, he might just be a bit more interested in being on the other side of things.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 17, 2013, 02:25:40 PM »

No. Denying that he said what Mike says he said.

I don't share any of your views. They will do what they will do.

oldsurferdude
« Reply #281 on: August 17, 2013, 07:19:02 PM »

Denying what? That he's a brainwashed zombie who is manipulated by his wife and managers and Joe Thomas to not work with Mike Love? Why would he even want to tackle that one? He seems pretty damn happy with TWGMTR and the resultant tour and besides how it ended he's seemed pretty happy overall with it. No public complaints. Which would lead me to believe he's not as upset with not working with Mike IN A ROOM TOGETHER as Mike would seem to think. In fact, I doubt Brian cares at all that he isn't writing with Mike.

I'm also gonna throw this out there: I really do hope Mike does lose the license if Brian and Al wanna to take it away. And if Carl's estate is on the fence, then Brian and Al and their people should tell them to think about what their husband/father would do if he were here to decide. I think we know which side he would pick.

And I have the feeling that if The Beach Boys name were held aside only for full group events, and the the current groups would be separated into Mike Love's Endless Summer Maharishi Beach Band and Brian Wilson (featuring Al Jardine and David Marks) that Moneybags Johnston might even switch sides. I think if it were down to him and Mike slummin' around without the true Beach Boys moniker, he might just be a bit more interested in being on the other side of things.
Drinking Buddies w00t! w00t! High Five Happy Dance Hello Kiss Hug Thumbs Up
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #282 on: August 17, 2013, 11:50:08 PM »

Well, considering Daybreak and Beaches In Mind represented an absolutely appalling mid-album nadir for TWGMTR, all I can say is thank Christ they didn't let Mike contribute any more than he did....

With the exception of Isn't It Time, nothing Mike did on TWGMTR was any good. However, he seems to think we all thought the likes of From There To Back Again and Summer's Gone were awful and that we're all crying out for more lazy solo album retreads and hands-over-face-cringe-worthy lyrics.   
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 18, 2013, 04:52:20 AM »

Just please, make the list of songs, and count.  That's all.  Count Asher's, Christian's, Usher's, Parks' and Thomas' work. How many hits?  Over how many years?

Y'know, if you make the list of the Beach Boys' charting hits in the US, Mike Love only wrote a minority of 'em.  :-)

He wrote more than anyone else, but not more than *everyone* else...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Nicko1234
« Reply #284 on: August 18, 2013, 04:57:18 AM »

Just please, make the list of songs, and count.  That's all.  Count Asher's, Christian's, Usher's, Parks' and Thomas' work. How many hits?  Over how many years?

Y'know, if you make the list of the Beach Boys' charting hits in the US, Mike Love only wrote a minority of 'em.  :-)

Cheers,
Jon Blum

I can't say I've ever done the maths but that can't be true if you are only applying it to original songs I would guess? Also depends on how low in the charts you are talking about perhaps...
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: August 18, 2013, 05:39:32 AM »

If you add up their US #1 hits, Brian only wrote a minority of 'em.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 05:47:09 AM by Cam Mott » Logged

Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #286 on: August 18, 2013, 07:42:47 AM »

Three outta Four...

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: August 18, 2013, 07:49:33 AM »

I'm guessing what you're saying here is that Brian wrote 3/4 of their number ones, while Mike was credited on all four. This is true. Now,  I wonder how many of those number ones also get consistently ranked in "All Time Worst Songs" lists? Oh wait! I think I know.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 18, 2013, 07:50:29 AM »

Three outta Four...

...compared to Mike's four outta four...

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 18, 2013, 07:51:49 AM »

I'm guessing what you're saying here is that Brian wrote 3/4 of their number ones, while Mike was credited on all four. This is true. Now,  I wonder how many of those number ones also get consistently ranked in "All Time Worst Songs" lists? Oh wait! I think I know.

I don't think Help Me, Rhonda is that rank.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 18, 2013, 08:38:41 AM »

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Jon - your every post is so polite.  And, even if I differ, you make it so civil a process.  Thank you. You're a star.

We can learn from your tolerance towards others.

Some BB -- BW-ML work were not all hits.  But, some have gone one to become unexpected, enduring classics. I was not using a "charting" formula, but just the most prominent, even if not Number #1 hits.  Mike still outguns them all. Context is always the first thing to look for when something is categorized. 

Thanks!  Wink

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 18, 2013, 09:02:11 AM »

I do think the public deserves to know that if they want to relive the experience of the C50 tour, 11 out of 15 musicians on that tour make up the Brian Wilson band while the other four make up the touring Beach Boys.  It makes more sense the other way around, that Brian, Al, and Dave should be the Beach Boys while the other guys are The Mike Love Endless Summer Band or whatever he'd want to call it.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 18, 2013, 09:16:00 AM »

I do think the public deserves to know that if they want to relive the experience of the C50 tour, 11 out of 15 musicians on that tour make up the Brian Wilson band while the other four make up the touring Beach Boys.  It makes more sense the other way around, that Brian, Al, and Dave should be the Beach Boys while the other guys are The Mike Love Endless Summer Band or whatever he'd want to call it.
Rocky Raccoon - I'm just back from 3 shows in 24 hours. No tears for C50. It was an outstanding event, under an apparently different entity, for a specific reason and it came to a finish.

People are delighted to see the Touring Band, and selling out in their old haunts.  They are working with City Year, and are very much in touring demand without all the drama.  Life is just simpler without all the drama and this band is better than when they temporarily went into abeyance for the length of the finite tour.  Someone else mentioned seeing them this weekend and had much the same impression. 

Fans have no inherent rights to know.  They are on a "need to know" basis.   Wink
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 18, 2013, 09:42:59 AM »

Either way you're getting the BB experience. Mike does a fantastic job. Brian does a fantastic job. I'm happy seeing either

Nicko1234
« Reply #294 on: August 18, 2013, 11:53:15 AM »

Except that I'm not sure any of the main players want it to be that way apart from Al perhaps.

Mike certainly wouldn't appreciate it, Carl's estate would lose a stack of cash and wouldn't it be a backward step for Brian? He has built up his own name since 1998 and has had considerable solo success so should he be in a group calling itself 'The Beach Boys' which isn't really The Beach Boys (and no Mike's current group isn't really The Beach Boys either)?

If Brian, Al and David are billed as original Beach Boys on posters then that would be a different thing and wouldn't really change much from the hardcore fans point of view (with the possible exception of pushing up ticket prices if they had to pay for it). But it wouldn't be doing Brian any favours to be touring in a non-authentic 'The Beach Boys' group.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx