gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680880 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 04:01:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Billboard ariticle on Mike and song writing w/ Brian issues from last album  (Read 43449 times)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2013, 11:59:01 AM »

That's how they wrote Good Vibrations though.  Mike should see that as a winning formula.  Brian has a song pretty much finished and then Mike comes in with his contribution.  Boom.  #1 single.  What's the problem?
But isn't, as I understand the story.  Brian had the song written, lyrics by Tony Asher. Mike rewrote the lyrics and, as Mike states, came up with the "I'm diggin up.....". But they weren't sitting in a room and wrote GV from scratch.

Exactly.  Which is pretty much how Mike wrote his lyrics for That's Why God Made the Radio as well.  Brian had the songs worked out with Joe Thomas and asked Mike to rewrite the lyrics. 

Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2013, 12:01:08 PM »

I'm with Mike....

Wouldn't you all much rather love OR HATE a full beach Boys album of Brian/Mike songs rather than some Joe Thomas, Jon Bon Jovi project with a little help from Brian and Mike?

Just think about it.

As a musician and attempted songwriter: what's the motivation for going into a project and devoting valuable time/effort if the situation stinks from the get-go? ..... There's no motivation.... Sucking it up because the folks on the smileysmile board will talk crap about you, isn't enough...... And they'll talk crap about you no matter what you do, so.....
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 12:03:51 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2013, 12:04:17 PM »

Would you all much rather love OR HATE a full beach Boys album of Brian/Mike songs rather than some Joe Thomas, Jon Bon Jovi project with a little help from Brian and Mike?

"Radio" was a lot better that I thought it would be. I wouldn't mind more made that way if they gave Al more to sing and eased off the autotune. I'm not that impressed with Mike's lyric-writing these days and prefer the sad stuff that he thinks is uncommercial. Even when it involves Bon Jovi!

Try to tell me that if Bon Jovi was Mike's idea, he wouldn't be crowing about it.

As a musician and attempted songwriter: what's the motivation for going into a project and devoting valuable time/effort if the situation stinks from the get-go? ..... There's no motivation.... Sucking it up because the folks on the smileysmile board will talk crap about you, isn't enough...... And they'll talk crap about you no matter what you do, so.....

Good point, and it all worked out fine in the end so I'm not that bothered about the situation. Works for me! More recordings like "Radio," no Mike Love lyrics, more Al. Bring it on!

The boys from Hawthorne are back on Capitol. The guys who aren't from Hawthorne are at SeaWorld. Unlike the touring situation, in the studio the ball is in Brian's court. If Mike doesn't want to play, his loss.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 12:11:14 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2013, 12:08:06 PM »

Wouldn't you all much rather love OR HATE a full beach Boys album of Brian/Mike songs rather than some Joe Thomas, Jon Bon Jovi project with a little help from Brian and Mike?

By all accounts, Brian was the primary author of the songs on the album.  To call his contribution "a little help" is pushing it.  Brian's best work has always relied on collaboration, whether it be from Mike, Gary Usher, Roger Christian, Van Dyke Parks, Tony Asher, Jack Rieley, Steve Kalinich, Andy Paley, Scott Bennett, etc.  On this particular project, it just happened to be Joe Thomas and I thought the songs for the most part were pretty decent.

And judging from the majority of Mike's songwriting for the last two decades, maybe it's for the best that his creative input was minimal.

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2013, 12:08:53 PM »

Would you all much rather love OR HATE a full beach Boys album of Brian/Mike songs rather than some Joe Thomas, Jon Bon Jovi project with a little help from Brian and Mike?

"Radio" was a lot better that I thought it would be. I wouldn't mind more made that way if they gave Al more to sing and eased off the autotune. I'm not that impressed with Mike's lyric-writing these days and prefer the sad stuff that he thinks is uncommercial. Even when it involves Bon Jovi!

Try to tell me that if Bon Jovi was Mike's idea, he wouldn't be crowing about it.

Good point, and it all worked out fine in the end so I'm not that bothered about the situation. Works for me! More recordings like "Radio," no Mike Love lyrics, more Al. Bring it on!

Jon Bon Stamos?

Has a certain ring to it!

Damnitt! Get Brian and Mike in a room with a piano and then get Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce, Dave in a studio with brian and a trusted engineer!!!! That's all that's necessary!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2013, 12:12:05 PM »

I'm with Mike....

Just think about it.

That's an interesting - and honest - question for many Beach Boys' fans; not all but many. And, I include myself in that group. While I like TWGMTR a lot, and I'm overall pleased with the way it turned out, there is something that isn't quite right, or satisfying, or "pure", or whatever, about the album. I can't quite put my finger on it, and I certainly wasn't expecting something as pure as 15 Big Ones or Love You, but I don't feel the soul of The Beach Boys in the album. There are obviously several reasons for that which could take up 87 pages on this board. And, again, I do have an appreciation for the album... police
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2013, 12:12:52 PM »

He wrote lyrics to 3 songs. We don't even know how much time he had to write for them. You're being judgmental without enough proof.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2013, 12:16:28 PM »

I'm with Mike....

Just think about it.

That's an interesting - and honest - question for many Beach Boys' fans; not all but many. And, I include myself in that group. While I like TWGMTR a lot, and I'm overall pleased with the way it turned out, there is something that isn't quite right, or satisfying, or "pure", or whatever, about the album. I can't quite put my finger on it, and I certainly wasn't expecting something as pure as 15 Big Ones or Love You, but I don't feel the soul of The Beach Boys in the album. There are obviously several reasons for that which could take up 87 pages on this board. And, again, I do have an appreciation for the album... police
While I like everything on the album, I do see your point. Except for the vocals it sounds more like a Brian solo album than a full-blown Beach Boys album.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2013, 12:19:43 PM »

He wrote lyrics to 3 songs. We don't even know how much time he had to write for them. You're being judgmental without enough proof.

There's no bell curve grading where I adjust my opinion to a lyric depending on how quickly it was written. "Do I like it" seems to be the deciding factor there rather than if the lyric is written in 30 minutes or less, the song is free.

It's nice having Mike in the harmony stack and singing a few leads, but he hasn't been up to much lyrically in decades. Does anybody really think he's due for a creative rebirth and bursting with ideas? Eh.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 12:30:08 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2013, 12:23:53 PM »

Grin

Honestly, TWGMTR isn't my favourite BBs LP by a long shot (some songs are cool, overall production is horrendous) but an album penned exclusively by Brian & Mike might have been even worse. Why do people think shoving those 2 in a room in the 21st century would result in 60s-style greatness? Huh
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2013, 12:25:16 PM »

Baywatch Nights, muthafuckas!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2013, 12:29:03 PM »

Anyone who's ever been in a band fully understands the un-funness of some guy sending you a tape with a song title and asking you to write lyrics that your bandmate had some apparent contribution in writing.... Or it's like showing up to work and finding some other guy at your desk and asking you to go do your job out in the hall....somehow.

Thing is, Mike's much more of a "guy in a band" than Brian is or ever was. This is a distinction that should be taken into account. Same with Dennis and Carl, if there were still around.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2013, 12:30:00 PM »

Grin

Honestly, TWGMTR isn't my favourite BBs LP by a long shot (some songs are cool, overall production is horrendous) but an album penned exclusively by Brian & Mike might have been even worse. Why do people think shoving those 2 in a room in the 21st century would result in 60s-style greatness? Huh

Because it would be even worse in a more authentic way..... Sometimes that's enough
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2013, 12:35:34 PM »

When it comes to the TWGMTR album the proof is in the pudding. The Brian stuff is good to great, the Mike stuff is dire to crap ... Spring Vacation, Beaches in Mind and Daybreak Over the Ocean are, if they weren't so bad, forgettable.

Whoever it was - Thomas, Melinda, Kaos, Capitol, Dr Evil, a passive aggressive Brian or the ghost of Dr Landy - they did the right thing by the album and the band's legacy by locking Mike out of the room.

BRAVO! DO IT AGAIN!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 12:40:42 PM by TonyW » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2013, 12:37:05 PM »

There's no bell curve grading where I adjust my opinion to a lyric depending on how quickly it was written. "Do I like it" seems to be the deciding factor there rather than if the lyric is written in 30 minutes or less, the song is free.

It's nice having Mike in the harmony stack and singing a few leads, but he hasn't been up to much lyrically in decades. Does anybody really think he's due for a creative rebirth and bursting with ideas? Eh.

Who knows? Brian has said that he can go years with no inspiration to come up with good compositions. When the inspiration does come, he still writes a pretty damn good tune. You base your opinion on what you think you know, but not on what you actually know. We won't really find out until Brian & Mike actually sit down and write together. As they say, "the proof is in the pudding". Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2013, 12:38:24 PM »

Have we forgotten that the last couple of albums where Brian and Mike co-wrote together extensively were the MIU Album and Keepin' the Summer Alive?  It's not like they're a consistently winning team as songwriters.

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2013, 12:41:12 PM »

We've seen the pudding, eaten the pudding, had the leftovers. I like where Brian (plus support system) is at these days, Mike not so much. I don't think "Beaches in Mind" or "Spring Vacation" would've been improved by having Mike in the room. What, is he gonna suggest a better chord sequence? A middle eight that will blind you with it's celestial beauty? He's just gonna rhyme moon with spoon and clock out.

Who knows? Brian has said that he can go years with no inspiration to come up with good compositions. When the inspiration does come, he still writes a pretty damn good tune.

Who is quibbling about Brian's track record? Speaks for itself. Capitol didn't sign Mike Love for new albums, they've had plenty of pudding.

I'm really glad they are recording more and can't wait to hear the new stuff! Especially the instrumentals. A great direction to go in, especially with Jardine wordless vocals. Woulda been nice to have some bassy dit dit dits in there from Mr Dead Eyes, but I guess not.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 12:43:43 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2013, 12:42:54 PM »

Grin

Because it would be even worse in a more authentic way..... Sometimes that's enough
I like authentic. Love You is my favourite BBs album. But bad is bad. It's all an idle thought anyway since an album solely written by Brian Wilson and Mike Love in 2012 would never have seen the light of day, I fear. At least not via Capitol Records. It would never have met the desired 'standard'.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2013, 12:43:37 PM »

When it comes to the TWGMTR album the proof is in the pudding. The Brian stuff is good to great, the Mike stuff is dire to crap ... Spring Vacation, Beaches in Mind and Daybreak Over the Ocean are, if they weren't so bad, forgettable.

Whoever it was - Thomas, Melinda, Kaos, Capital, Dr Evil, a passive aggressive Brian or the ghost of Dr Landy - they did the right thing by the album and the band's legacy by locking Mike out of the room.

BRAVO! DO IT AGAIN!
I would disagree wholeheartedly with you on this. But again, on the first two, how much time was Mike given to write? Did he like the music given to him? See, we don't know a lot of information about how this all shook out. Shoot, Brian actually wrote the words to the Spring Vacation chorus. Personally, I think a lot of that album was rushed. They had a lot to do considering the tour started in early Spring.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2013, 12:44:24 PM »

Easy money, ain't life funny is the only good part of the song! Still makes me laugh. Typical Brian!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2013, 12:47:20 PM »

Easy money, ain't life funny is the only good part of the song! Still makes me laugh. Typical Brian!
Funny, typical, but not a great lyric. If you're gonna rip Mike, then Brian's has to bear a little too.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2013, 12:47:52 PM »

It may be, in Mike's mind, deep down, about his songwring legacy.  One more Brian/Mike written album to cement them historically as an all time great songwriting duo.

Problem is it would most likely be worse than "Goin to the Beach". Unless they had a Rick Rubin kind of guy overseeing the whole thing. But when was the last time Brian and Mike sat down and wrote an album? Wild Honey.

Mike just won't accept Brian doesn't want to do it. Or just can't do it. Brian doesn't  have it in him, nor does he want to rehash fun in the sun yet again. Mike should not take it personally as, at this point, Brian needs multiple musical collabotators to be productive. Best Mike can hope for is a song he can add lyrics to.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2013, 12:49:40 PM »

Funny, typical, but not a great lyric. If you're gonna rip Mike, then Brian's has to bear a little too.
Exactly. I dig that line, too. But if Mike Love had authored that fans like us would probably put it in the same category as the "Spring Vacation" lyrics.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2013, 12:51:19 PM »

You guys need to admit, if the songs that have Mike's name (buried in the credits) on TWGMTR didn't have his name in there, you'd defend them with your life as great!

My guess is Brian did VERY VERY VERY little work on TWGMTR.....  Sure, he sat at the console for a few pictures and video clips, but Joe Thomas and Jeff, and the guy holding the autotune knob called the shots.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2013, 12:52:40 PM »

It may be, in Mike's mind, deep down, about his songwring legacy.  One more Brian/Mike written album to cement them historically as an all time great songwriting duo.

Problem is it would most likely be worse than "Goin to the Beach". Unless they had a Rick Rubin kind of guy overseeing the whole thing. But when was the last time Brian and Mike sat down and wrote an album? Wild Honey.

Mike just won't accept Brian doesn't want to do it. Or just can't do it. Brian doesn't  have it in him, nor does he want to rehash fun in the sun yet again. Mike should not take it personally as, at this point, Brian needs multiple musical collabotators to be productive. Best Mike can hope for is a song he can add lyrics to.
It's very simple really. If Brian wants to do a another Beach Boys album, then he now knows what he has to do to make it happen. If not, Brian records solo. I'm not sure it's that simple, but if each guy knew this after the tour, then we know where Brian stands now, don't we? Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,