gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681614 Posts in 27646 Topics by 4085 Members - Latest Member: RZLSommer June 20, 2024, 12:02:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Billboard ariticle on Mike and song writing w/ Brian issues from last album  (Read 43972 times)
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2013, 01:56:19 PM »

Haven't some of the worst Beach Boys lyrics in the last 30++ years been written solely by Brian???

Worst as in: I still love them, just like I adore Mike's bad lyrics too.
Like, 'Well oh my, oh gosh, oh gee, she really send chills inside of me"? Funny, but not worthy of being called great lyrical content. Smiley

nothing beats "we'll make sweet love till the sun goes down. we'll even do MORE when her momma's not around"!!!!!!!!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2013, 01:59:16 PM »

Terrific! I'm sure he'll have lots of solo albums ready for you to purchase soon, then. Free of that terrible burden of Brian Wilson weighing things down with melancholy gloom and doom... and that damn troublemaker Al Jardine! Always goin' on about Cottonfields. Yeah yeah yeah, it was a hit overseas, Al, we know.

As for brilliant lyricist, again you are judging before the work is put before you. You can't call the guy out when there are no 2013 lyrics to discuss.

I don't need to discuss hypothetical lyrics, I already dislike everything he's written since the late 70s with the exception of Male Ego. That's enough for me to judge his "current output," I should think. I'm willing to give him another 10 years to impress me, I guess. BUT NO MORE, Mike Love! Cool head, warm heart, empty wallet!
Then stop being a fan then. Buy Brian solo albums to feed your habit. You really sound more like a Brian Wilson fan than a Beach Boys fan and no amount of discussion will change that. Funny, I have always disliked Mike, but I never reviled the guy like some you guys do. I always wind up defending him, because some of you are so irrational with always wanting to bury the guy. Mike is no saint, but this band is so dysfunctional it's a wonder any of them get along with each other.
Brian's new album would sound a whole lot better with Mike and Bruce on it. Sell a heck of a lot better too! You Mike advocates seem to forget the utter disaster of "Summer in Paradise". What he BB need is a good producer who knows when and how to use autotune and steer Brian in thhe right direction, plus songwriting collaborators that make Brian excited and productive.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2013, 02:03:31 PM »

Terrific! I'm sure he'll have lots of solo albums ready for you to purchase soon, then. Free of that terrible burden of Brian Wilson weighing things down with melancholy gloom and doom... and that damn troublemaker Al Jardine! Always goin' on about Cottonfields. Yeah yeah yeah, it was a hit overseas, Al, we know.

As for brilliant lyricist, again you are judging before the work is put before you. You can't call the guy out when there are no 2013 lyrics to discuss.

I don't need to discuss hypothetical lyrics, I already dislike everything he's written since the late 70s with the exception of Male Ego. That's enough for me to judge his "current output," I should think. I'm willing to give him another 10 years to impress me, I guess. BUT NO MORE, Mike Love! Cool head, warm heart, empty wallet!
Then stop being a fan then. Buy Brian solo albums to feed your habit. You really sound more like a Brian Wilson fan than a Beach Boys fan and no amount of discussion will change that. Funny, I have always disliked Mike, but I never reviled the guy like some you guys do. I always wind up defending him, because some of you are so irrational with always wanting to bury the guy. Mike is no saint, but this band is so dysfunctional it's a wonder any of them get along with each other.
Brian's new album would sound a whole lot better with Mike and Bruce on it. Sell a heck of a lot better too! You Mike advocates seem to forget the utter disaster of "Summer in Paradise". What he BB need is a good producer who knows when and how to use autotune and steer Brian in thhe right direction, plus songwriting collaborators that make Brian excited and productive.

Summer In Paradise?

We don't forget it: we just realize it's not all that bad.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2013, 02:07:26 PM »

Easy money, ain't life funny is the only good part of the song! Still makes me laugh. Typical Brian!
Funny, typical, but not a great lyric. If you're gonna rip Mike, then Brian's has to bear a little too.
Exactly. I dig that line, too. But if Mike Love had authored that fans like us would probably put it in the same category as the "Spring Vacation" lyrics.

I like it too. It has a very "Haters gonna hate" vibe.  LOL
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2013, 02:07:30 PM »

Summer In Paradise?

We don't forget it: we just realize it's not all that bad.
Wait . . . what?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2013, 02:10:29 PM »

Where have you been?

The merits/non-merits, where it sucks/where it's good regarding Summer In Paradise has been discussed to death for years on end.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2013, 02:13:18 PM »

I just don't like this Mike's 2013 lyrics are terrible when there are no 2013 lyrics. It's one thing to berate something actual, but to pre-judge just isn't fair. Like Sheriff.. said, the 3 Mike co-written songs are still fun and catchy and more Beach Boy-ish than anything else on TWGMTR. I always found The Beach Boys better together than individually. Also, I'm with Pinder.., while SIP is no Pet Sounds, it certainly isn't "all that bad", either.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 14, 2013, 02:15:04 PM »

Where have you been?

The merits/non-merits, where it sucks/where it's good regarding Summer In Paradise has been discussed to death for years on end.

Aside from the half-decent title track, I'd say it's pretty much unlistenable.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 14, 2013, 02:16:08 PM »

Where have you been?

Aside from the half-decent title track, I'd say it's pretty much unlistenable.
No it's not! Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: August 14, 2013, 02:25:29 PM »

Hitting The Hollywood Reporter: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/earshot/mike-love-upset-direction-beach-606461

Al Jardine response by... Friday, say?

Shitty Cut and Paste Journalism, Vol 63436: "Wilson says he'd still like to pursue some more writing with Wilson"

"We really would."
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 02:27:20 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 14, 2013, 02:27:01 PM »

Shitty Cut and Paste Journalism, Vol 63436: "Wilson says he'd still like to pursue some more writing with Wilson"
. . that could be a 100% accurate Brian Wilson quote, though. Smiley
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: August 14, 2013, 02:29:22 PM »

Wilson plans rock n' roll album with Wilson!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 14, 2013, 02:32:33 PM »

"We really would."
LOL LOL LOL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 14, 2013, 02:42:12 PM »

"I was pretty involved in the sequencing and the song selection and the overall concept," says Love"

a good percentage of folk who are just head over heels in love with TWGMDT suddenly don't like it anymore  Evil Evil
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: August 14, 2013, 02:44:54 PM »

He's talking about Made in California there. Otherwise his complaint would be a tad schizoid, eh?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 14, 2013, 02:45:59 PM »

Nothing new but a radio interview with Mike on the topic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcywqyC-f3Q
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 14, 2013, 02:46:24 PM »

He's talking about Made in California there. Otherwise his complaint would be a tad schizoid, eh?

Doh!!! Got me!

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: August 14, 2013, 02:48:19 PM »

Why do people think shoving those 2 in a room in the 21st century would result in 60s-style greatness? Huh

Does anyone??? Personally, I think it would be interesting to see what they could do together. Of course Brian would have to be open minded about Mike being able to write other stuff than just about surf and sand and actually challenge him to do so, and Mike would have to be open minded about writing not just about surf and sand.

That said, I'd like to write them a surf song called "I've got sand in my crack" Grin

When it comes to the TWGMTR album the proof is in the pudding. The Brian stuff is good to great, the Mike stuff is dire to crap ... Spring Vacation, Beaches in Mind and Daybreak Over the Ocean are, if they weren't so bad, forgettable.

Man, the worst song the BBs ever put out is The Private Life Of Bill And Sue, and that's all Brian, no Mike! (The second worst is Summer Of Love which is no Brian and mostly Mike.)

Daybreak Over The Ocean is good because the production is good, regardless of Brian not being involved, and the song in itself is decent. (Mike's first version is terrible even though it's the same song.)

Equally, the bad thing about Beaches In Mind isn't the lyrics, it's the production. The song is too slow and would need a more rocking arrangement. Or at least some kind of arrangement.

The best tracks on TWGMTR are Isn't It Time and Summer's Gone, which have just little respectively no Mike input.

So what proof is in what pudding?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: August 14, 2013, 03:01:06 PM »

Nothing new but a radio interview with Mike on the topic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcywqyC-f3Q

All their problems are "invented by other people" apparently. It's just a coincidence he's trying to drive a very public wedge between Brian and those "other people" and he doesn't have a problem with Brian at all.

What's with the not naming these shadowy forces anyway?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 03:09:47 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 14, 2013, 03:12:03 PM »

I have some sympathy for his position, but where was this full partnership stipulation when they recorded Pet Sounds? Smile? Friends? Sunflower? Surf's Up? Carl and the Passions? Holland? Love You? Even back in the Mike/Brian early 60's glory days, Mike was only just one of Brian's partners (although the most important one, granted).

Ssssssshhhhhh. We're not supposed to know that you know!  Grin
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 14, 2013, 03:12:26 PM »

What's with the not naming these shadowy forces anyway?
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 14, 2013, 03:32:43 PM »

We should have one thread for Mike's ongoing weekly, controversial interview.

I guess all Mike's postive interviews plugging Radio were complete BS and lies?

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 14, 2013, 03:33:20 PM »

I'm going to assume Melinda Wilson, Joe Thomas, and Jeffrey Foskett are at least a few of the people Mike has a problem with.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 14, 2013, 03:55:19 PM »

I'm going to assume Melinda Wilson, Joe Thomas, and Jeffrey Foskett are at least a few of the people Mike has a problem with.
Al Jardine big time from what I hear. You always hear Mike mentioning working with Brian again, never Al.

Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 14, 2013, 03:56:45 PM »

Haven't some of the worst Beach Boys lyrics in the last 30++ years been written solely by Brian???

Worst as in: I still love them, just like I adore Mike's bad lyrics too.
Like, 'Well oh my, oh gosh, oh gee, she really send chills inside of me"? Funny, but not worthy of being called great lyrical content. Smiley

nothing beats "we'll make sweet love till the sun goes down. we'll even do MORE when her momma's not around"!!!!!!!!

"They're doin' it all over the world....."

(sorry)   Evil

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx