gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 10:26:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MIKE LOVE WANTS BRIAN WILSON BACK IN THE BEACH BOYS  (Read 33764 times)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: July 12, 2013, 03:04:15 PM »

What about Pet sounds or smile?
What about them? They're great!

Pet Sounds was a chart failure, and SMiLE failed because the drugged out Wilson's couldn't stand up straight, let alone make music. If you'll remember, Kokomo went to #1 internationally. I think it's pretty obvious what the public wants.

Even if we don't like it, Kokomo is very popular in our generation. I was even once asked to play Kokomo on the guitar after playing other BB tunes at a birthday party. 363 days passed since that happened, but I'll doubt I'll ever be motivated to actually learn it.
I like Kokomo, no problem with it whatsoever. Saying that Pet Sounds was a chart failure is vastly incorrect. Using "Wilson's" in the plural as "drugged out... and couldn't stand up straight" in 1966-1967 has never been proven. If using the term "drugged out" is strictly directed at Brian failing, I would direct this person to California Girls. Considering how that was written, it was far from a failure. For Smile, the failure was modular recording and frankly, too much music to assemble.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 03:09:20 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 12, 2013, 03:10:12 PM »

Kokomo was popular for a few very simple reasons - great song, excellent hook, superb vocals from Carl and Michael, summertime vibe. It's a classic.

I really do love it.  But I tend to favor "South American" as well.  "South American" might actually have a better hook though.  Not sure it's close.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 12, 2013, 03:14:53 PM »

Kokomo was popular for a few very simple reasons - great song, excellent hook, superb vocals from Carl and Michael, summertime vibe. It's a classic.

it was perfect for a cheesy summer in a very cheesy decade, but now, 25 years later, the song sounds really shite. still some people dig it. there is greatness in diversity. I'm glad that at least someone appreciates ML's output, because he's been working at it for quite awhile.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 12, 2013, 03:41:24 PM »

it was perfect for a cheesy summer in a very cheesy decade, but now, 25 years later, the song sounds really shite. still some people dig it. there is greatness in diversity. I'm glad that at least someone appreciates ML's output, because he's been working at it for quite awhile.

"shite" or no sh*t, it still comes off a whole lot better than a lot of shite hits of the era.... It's rather non-dated and is actually very very good once one's temper cools off.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 12, 2013, 03:45:31 PM »

"shite" or no sh*t, it still comes off a whole lot better than a lot of shite hits of the era.... It's rather non-dated and is actually very very good once one's temper cools off.

"Kokomo" is 25 years old! That's hard to believe. A quarter of a century old. I still remember the first time I heard it - on a Disney TV special. Where did the time go... Old Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 12, 2013, 03:50:00 PM »

"Kokomo" is 25 years old! That's hard to believe. A quarter of a century old. I still remember the first time I heard it - on a Disney TV special. Where did the time go... Old Man

Eeek! I can remember back when Pet Sounds was 25 years old!!!!
SIP Mike
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin' To The Beach!

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 12, 2013, 03:52:48 PM »

Thanks for the support guys. 250 years from now, I know people will still be relaxing on sunny beaches listening to Kokomo.

Music, after all, is all about lifting mood.
Juice Bronston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 12, 2013, 03:55:26 PM »

Thanks for the support guys. 250 years from now, I know people will still be relaxing on sunny beaches listening to Kokomo.

You'll be able to relax in the ample shade supplied by the vast number of Mike Love statues that will be erected in the sand.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 03:58:23 PM by Juice Bronston » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 12, 2013, 04:01:00 PM »

What support? Many of us liked Kokomo way before you blessed us with your presence here. As for the remainder of your post, you really don't have a clue regarding your Beach Boys facts.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
SIP Mike
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin' To The Beach!

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 12, 2013, 04:10:14 PM »

What support? Many of us liked Kokomo way before you blessed us with your presence here. As for the remainder of your post, you really don't have a clue regarding your Beach Boys facts.

Glad you like it. Truly a timeless classic.

Music, after all, is all about lifting mood.
Juice Bronston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 12, 2013, 04:12:55 PM »

You know, we should all take a trip down to Kokomo, go to the altar of Mike Love, and sacrifice a Beach Boy fan there.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 12, 2013, 04:23:40 PM »

Can we start with you?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 12, 2013, 04:24:09 PM »

You know, we should all take a trip down to Kokomo, go to the altar of Mike Love, and sacrifice a Beach Boy fan there.
I vote for SIP Mike as the first sacrifice. There is no better person than the biggest Mike fan leading off.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 12, 2013, 04:25:14 PM »

great minds, Doctor...  LOL

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 12, 2013, 04:26:50 PM »

Can we start with you?

Me me me I want to be first...  LOL
Jason
« Reply #240 on: July 12, 2013, 04:38:43 PM »

Why would you sacrifice him? I have a feeling he'll be the source of many great, hilarious posts in the future.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 12, 2013, 04:45:40 PM »

You know, kokomo borders Mordor from "lord of the rings", so it is a very evil place. Brian Wilson's "surf city" was way cooler....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 12, 2013, 04:57:34 PM »

You know, kokomo borders Mordor from "lord of the rings", so it is a very evil place. Brian Wilson's "surf city" was way cooler....

If Mordor was a real place, you can bet Mike/Bruce would have a gig booked!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 12, 2013, 05:00:29 PM »

Someone needs to photoshop the M&B band playing beneath Saurons eye ASAP.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 12, 2013, 05:01:59 PM »

Only if Mordor had a Seaworld Wink

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 12, 2013, 05:16:30 PM »

Christopher Lee guest stars on Heroes & Villains?

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 12, 2013, 05:20:49 PM »

Only if Mordor had a Seaworld Wink

Is has beaches basically around it's sea of molten lava. Or they can just do corporate parties for Sauraman! I would kill to see Christopher Lee guesting on
Kokomo! .... After party in Shelob's lair!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 12, 2013, 05:22:39 PM »

I think one of Mike's rings is Sauron's. He found it in 1968 and hasn't been the same since with the ring making him greedy.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 12, 2013, 05:35:00 PM »

i think you're onto sumthin'......

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 12, 2013, 05:36:09 PM »

i think you're onto sumthin'......

Ah!!!!!

The reason he wears so many is so the ONE won't stand out!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx