gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:11:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MIKE LOVE WANTS BRIAN WILSON BACK IN THE BEACH BOYS  (Read 33634 times)
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 11, 2013, 04:28:05 PM »

al said in an interview at the time of the SC lp capitol gave them another chance but wanted "3 hit singles" from that lp. hence the newer songs. i think it was in goldmine but i'm not sure. my magazines burnt up so i can't check that out.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 11, 2013, 09:52:43 PM »

I wasn't referring to the 92% of Brian's writing, arranging, and producing (although I think it was, in truth, significantly less than that); I was referring to what led to that choice of 92% of included Brian Wilson songs, or the types of songs he would record.

Worth remembering that Bruce and Al said at the time that it was Capitol, rather than Brian *or* the band, which selected the final tracklisting of the album from what they'd recorded...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 12, 2013, 06:27:05 AM »

I wasn't referring to the 92% of Brian's writing, arranging, and producing (although I think it was, in truth, significantly less than that); I was referring to what led to that choice of 92% of included Brian Wilson songs, or the types of songs he would record.

Worth remembering that Bruce and Al said at the time that it was Capitol, rather than Brian *or* the band, which selected the final tracklisting of the album from what they'd recorded...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
I remember that. Makes one wonder how many songs were actually submitted. Seems weird Capitol choosing Daybreak and Bill & Sue.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 12, 2013, 07:09:15 AM »

Cheers,
Jon Blum
I remember that. Makes one wonder how many songs were actually submitted. Seems weird Capitol choosing Daybreak and Bill & Sue.

Jon, thanks for reminding me about that Bruce and Al comment. But, that falls in line with what I was intimating. Other "people" are included in making or editing the final decisions now. If Brian was calling the shots, the record company would not be choosing which songs are released - Brian would. And, yes, drbeachboy, it does make you wonder, not only how many songs were actually submitted, but the quality of the ones that weren't chosen. I guess we'll find out a little bit more about them if/when they end up on Brian's new solo album.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: July 12, 2013, 07:16:17 AM »

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Choosing Daybreak seems not nearly as weird for me... Smiley

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 12, 2013, 07:25:37 AM »

Cheers,
Jon Blum

IIRC, it wasn't as simple as that. I believe Joe Thomas outlined it this way.

They recorded two dozen songs (whether they were all completed with vocals and mixed, who knows).

They submitted 15 songs to Capitol.

Capitol picked 12 for the finished album.

In other words, most of the song selection was done before Capitol had any say in the matter.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 12, 2013, 09:46:26 AM »

Cheers,
Jon Blum

They recorded two dozen songs (whether they were all completed with vocals and mixed, who knows).

In other words, most of the song selection was done before Capitol had any say in the matter.
Still, it makes you wonder about the quality of the three songs submitted but not chosen.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 12, 2013, 10:50:27 AM »

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Still, it makes you wonder about the quality of the three songs submitted but not chosen.

It does but not with much hope if they judged Bill and Sue superior.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 12, 2013, 12:43:04 PM »

Cheers,
Jon Blum

This makes more sense than Capitol being given cart blanche in deciding the fate for The Beach Boys' record.  They may have picked the songs but the listing they chose from was actually selected by The Beach Boys.  What would be interesting to know is whether or not the boys dictated to Capitol how many songs they were allowed to choose from the list of fifteen for the record.  Did Capitol have to pick twelve tracks or could've they picked less or even selected all fifteen?  For what it's worth twelve to thirteen tracks is still generally considered to be the industry standard for a single LP.  Anything more than that and from what I've understood artists usually get told to trim their album a bit.

The additional three tracks would be interesting to hear.  If they are in a completed state you have to wonder why they aren't on coming out on MIC unless Brian Wilson once he realized the C50 wasn't going forward wouldn't allow those tracks to be released under "The Beach Boys" monicker.  Maybe he's planning on recutting them for his solo LP?  Allegedly (from what I've read on this forum) one of the unreleased tracks has been given the speculative title of "I'd Go Anywhere" and is apparently part of more youthful section of the Life Suite.  So that could be one of the three tracks that was submitted although from what we've heard of it sounds basically unfinished which could mean nothing at all obviously.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 12:44:36 PM by JohnMill » Logged

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
SIP Mike
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin' To The Beach!

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 12, 2013, 01:25:31 PM »

But why hold up the whole BBs group and demand from the fans over such a selfish request? Brian picks and choose who he works with since day one of 1961. So be it if he doesn't want to rewrite "do it again" for the 100th time with ML.

But remember Brian, once Wilson realized how important a songwriting partner and lead singer like Mike was, there was no way he could go to anyone else. "Do It Again" is one their best songs, going straight to number one. Sunny beach songs are what the Beach Boys are known for after all.

Music, after all, is all about lifting mood.
Juice Bronston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: July 12, 2013, 01:28:24 PM »

But why hold up the whole BBs group and demand from the fans over such a selfish request? Brian picks and choose who he works with since day one of 1961. So be it if he doesn't want to rewrite "do it again" for the 100th time with ML.

But remember Brian, once Wilson realized how important a songwriting partner and lead singer like Mike was, there was no way he could go to anyone else. "Do It Again" is one their best songs, going straight to number one. Sunny beach songs are what the Beach Boys are known for after all.

I agree.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 12, 2013, 02:08:36 PM »

Welcome SIP Mike, "do it again"  is.what made ML become the evil surf demon of today...

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SIP Mike
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin' To The Beach!

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 12, 2013, 02:16:06 PM »

Welcome SIP Mike, "do it again"  is.what made ML become the evil surf demon of today...

I don't know about evil, but I do know about surfin! We can all thank Mike for that, and 50 years of writing hits.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 12, 2013, 02:18:42 PM »

What about Pet sounds or smile?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Juice Bronston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 12, 2013, 02:18:47 PM »

I don't know about evil, but I do know about surfin! We can all thank Mike for that, and 50 years of writing hits.

I agree.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 12, 2013, 02:21:16 PM »

What about them? They're great!

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
SIP Mike
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin' To The Beach!

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 12, 2013, 02:26:21 PM »

Pet Sounds was a chart failure, and SMiLE failed because the drugged out Wilson's couldn't stand up straight, let alone make music. If you'll remember, Kokomo went to #1 internationally. I think it's pretty obvious what the public wants.

Juice Bronston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 12, 2013, 02:29:21 PM »

Pet Sounds was a chart failure, and SMiLE failed because the drugged out Wilson's couldn't stand up straight, let alone make music. If you'll remember, Kokomo went to #1 internationally. I think it's pretty obvious what the public wants.

The public wants Mike Love. I want Mike Love. #mikeforpresidentofmusic
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 12, 2013, 02:33:34 PM »

my personal feeling is: as amazing as Pet Sounds and SMILE are: they'd mean a whole lot less to us and would be that much less impressive if it weren't for all that came before and after.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 02:50:38 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 12, 2013, 02:34:29 PM »

Okey dokey, then.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Jason
« Reply #220 on: July 12, 2013, 02:41:09 PM »

Funny troll is funny. I approve. Michael's the Greatest!!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 12, 2013, 02:44:00 PM »

Indeed, we attract the trolls and crazies in here, from time to time.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: July 12, 2013, 02:47:16 PM »

Even if we don't like it, Kokomo is very popular in our generation. I was even once asked to play Kokomo on the guitar after playing other BB tunes at a birthday party. 363 days passed since that happened, but I'll doubt I'll ever be motivated to actually learn it.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Jason
« Reply #223 on: July 12, 2013, 02:48:52 PM »

Kokomo was popular for a few very simple reasons - great song, excellent hook, superb vocals from Carl and Michael, summertime vibe. It's a classic.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 12, 2013, 02:59:02 PM »

Indeed, we attract the trolls and crazies in here, from time to time.

True, but the really sobering thought is that it's sometimes not all that easy to tell them apart from...US!!

(Cue the scream from "She's Goin' Bald" here....)
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx