gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:37:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MIKE LOVE WANTS BRIAN WILSON BACK IN THE BEACH BOYS  (Read 33760 times)
MBE
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2013, 04:57:45 AM »

If I may slightly amend Mr. Hickey's timeline...
"Februaryish (can't remember the exact dates, but call it that) -- initial fifty date tour announced
Aprilish -- Tour starts. Brian's not having a wonderful time, with his bad back and so on, but there are all these other places -- Japan, Australia, the UK -- that want dates.  Brian also knows that his band members have other commitments. Maybe he knows that his own health won't hold up for much longer if he plays many more shows. So when the idea of more dates comes up, Brian says "OK, but that's *it*, then. The tour has to end by the end of September". He might not mean to be ruling out any *future* tours -- but *that* tour has to end by the end of September.
Mike, hearing this as the final end date for the reunion, says "OK" and starts booking dates for the Mike & Bruce band.
late June -- Mike states in Rolling Stone he's booked post-C50 dates with his band. Brian expresses surprise (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/mike-love-books-beach-boys-shows-without-brian-wilson-20120626)
Septemberish -- offers start coming in for even more shows. Brian's having a great time, and wants to book some more shows, maybe a winter tour or shows in the new year or something. Mike says "What? I've got all these shows booked with my own band now! We agreed the end of September was the end!", while Brian says "Hang on, six months ago *you* were trying to persuade *me* to do more shows! Now you're going to tour without me again?!" (evidently having forgotten what he'd said three months previously)
End result -- both men think the other one was the reason the tour ended, and both are right.

Note, I'm *NOT* saying this is what happened -- I see no reason to believe a single word of anything in the Star -- but it seems consistent to me, and doesn't require any assumptions of malice or bad faith on anyone's part, just bad communication."

This sounds plausible. And it's more than likely that all the things said in the above scenario were said through managers (and the press),  so it's telephone. Words twisted, tones misinterpreted, and you end up with Brian thinking Mike is to blame and Mike thinking Brian is to blame.
Exactly. I have been told so many times than when it is just Brian and Mike without (ahem) others around they do get along. They just don't know how to talk after all these years and it really is sad. I see it all the time in family situations where people are dysfunctional and don't need to be. Families are like that sometimes and at the core this is a family rift going back before Mike and Brian were born-see Mike's comments in Endless Harmony.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2013, 05:41:25 AM »

"Februaryish (can't remember the exact dates, but call it that) -- initial fifty date tour announced
Aprilish -- Tour starts. Brian's not having a wonderful time, with his bad back and so on, but there are all these other places -- Japan, Australia, the UK -- that want dates.  Brian also knows that his band members have other commitments. Maybe he knows that his own health won't hold up for much longer if he plays many more shows. So when the idea of more dates comes up, Brian says "OK, but that's *it*, then. The tour has to end by the end of September". He might not mean to be ruling out any *future* tours -- but *that* tour has to end by the end of September.
Mike, hearing this as the final end date for the reunion, says "OK" and starts booking dates for the Mike & Bruce band.
late June -- Mike states in Rolling Stone he's booked post-C50 dates with his band. Brian expresses surprise (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/mike-love-books-beach-boys-shows-without-brian-wilson-20120626)
Septemberish -- offers start coming in for even more shows. Brian's having a great time, and wants to book some more shows, maybe a winter tour or shows in the new year or something. Mike says "What? I've got all these shows booked with my own band now! We agreed the end of September was the end!", while Brian says "Hang on, six months ago *you* were trying to persuade *me* to do more shows! Now you're going to tour without me again?!" (evidently having forgotten what he'd said three months previously)
End result -- both men think the other one was the reason the tour ended, and both are right.

Note, I'm *NOT* saying this is what happened -- I see no reason to believe a single word of anything in the Star -- but it seems consistent to me, and doesn't require any assumptions of malice or bad faith on anyone's part, just bad communication."

This sounds plausible. And it's more than likely that all the things said in the above scenario were said through managers (and the press),  so it's telephone. Words twisted, tones misinterpreted, and you end up with Brian thinking Mike is to blame and Mike thinking Brian is to blame.

IF the quote turns out to be accurate, I agree with everyone who agrees.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2013, 10:56:35 AM »

May I also add that late in the C50 Brian had his back procedure/ surgery. This could have been a show-stopper and alarm bells must have rung when that was announced to the band.
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2013, 11:23:46 AM »

Neither is actually inconsistent. I suspect this interview isn't accurate -- the Daily Star is the worst kind of tabloid -- but assume it is. Assume Stebbins' account is also correct. Then it's entirely possible that the situation was something like this:

Februaryish (can't remember the exact dates, but call it that) -- initial fifty date tour announced
Septemberish -- offers start coming in for even more shows. Brian's having a great time, and wants to book some more shows, maybe a winter tour or shows in the new year or something. Mike says "What? I've got all these shows booked with my own band now! We agreed the end of September was the end!", while Brian says "Hang on, six months ago *you* were trying to persuade *me* to do more shows! Now you're going to tour without me again?!"

Note, I'm *NOT* saying this is what happened -- I see no reason to believe a single word of anything in the Star -- but it seems consistent to me, and doesn't require any assumptions of malice or bad faith on anyone's part, just bad communication.
Assuming that the Daily Star, along with the quotes from Michael, Brian and Al's respective 'camps' are all accurate, then this scenario of yours, Andrew, seems entirely plausible to me, too.
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2013, 11:29:49 AM »

But then why did Love wait until now to say anything about it? 

"Jeff, you care." --BW
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2013, 11:40:23 AM »

Because he's a Beethoven-grade egomaniac, to use the parlance of our times.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2013, 12:19:04 PM »

Because he's a Beethoven-grade egomaniac, to use the parlance of our times.

Don't diss Louie Van B you....you.... tractor
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2013, 01:11:30 PM »

MIKE LOVE SPILLS THE BEANS ON LATEST BEACH BOYS SPLIT

http://www.wmmr.com/music/news/story.aspx?ID=2001279

A more fleshed out story. But someone's PR machine has not been honest through this. Have Brian and Al duped us or is Mike spinning the facts around?

Mike Love spoke to England's Daily Star and took Brian Wilson to task for his piece in The Los Angles Times, which insinuated that he, Jardine, and Marks felt as though Love fired them from being Beach Boys when Love chose his road band to represent the living legends on tour: "I don't know how that (firing) controversy started. I'd love to work with Brian again. The anniversary tour was originally 50 dates, and got extended to 73. At that point, Brian said: 'No more dates for us, please.' So once we finished those 73 shows we went back to the line-up of the band before he rejoined.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Jason
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2013, 01:13:45 PM »

Well, sounds like the Brian Wilson wifeandmanagers promotional team has some 'splainin to do.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2013, 01:21:38 PM »

Well, sounds like the Brian Wilson wifeandmanagers promotional team has some 'splainin to do.
Yeah. This is getting traction in the news feeds. I have criticized Mike over the C50 split. If it was Brian, I owe the Luvster a big apology.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2013, 01:22:11 PM »

Well... here's my take, simplistic as it may be: if Mike's statement is questionable, then Brian's camp will rightly question it, publicly... and if it's accurate, they won't. There may be a third option but for the life of me I can't think of one.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2013, 01:25:15 PM »

Wouldn't the group be together if Brian ended the tour? Brian wanted to make a new BBs album before C50 ended. All of Mike's complaints the last few months add up to a man not happy with C50. Even Jon Stebbins said Mike rejected further C50 offers.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 01:28:22 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2013, 01:25:26 PM »

Jeeeezus! These guys just need to shut the f*** up! I'm sure a lot of fans including myself are sick and tired of this he said this, he said that crap. Either stay together as a group (that's all 5 of them) and do what you do best which is make great f***ing music. Or don't. There pissing all over there great legacy.. Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Alan Jardine, Bruce Johnston & David Marks ARE the beach boys. And if you wanna get technical so are Blondie Chaplin and Ricky Fataar.
Jason
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2013, 01:34:25 PM »

Wouldn't the group be together if Brian ended the tour? Brian wanted to make a new BBs album before C50 ended. All of Mike's complaints the last few months add up to a man not happy with C50. Even Jon Stebbins said Mike rejected further C50 offers.

Nope. Just like Smile, Brian killed the 50th Anniversary Tour.
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2013, 01:48:47 PM »

LOL  You really know how to hurt a guy.

"Jeff, you care." --BW
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2013, 01:55:54 PM »

I would say that if this quote has any accuracy in it, Mike would have mentioned it before now, rather than go with the explanation he has otherwise consistently given (the tour ran its course, etc., etc.). This puts him in a much more positive light.

Regardless, I'm sure all of the principals will be asked to elaborate on this in interview after interview in the months and years to come. We'll all learn more than we care to know (Al was probably having a secret affair with some backing band member -- but which one???).

----------

The other thing we should note -- Melinda has said repeatedly that Brian changes his mind often about touring. One day he'll tell her that he's retired, that he doesn't want to go out anymore. Then the next day, he'll ask when the band is playing next. Just a bit of context.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 01:59:45 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2013, 02:34:29 PM »

Everyone's lying

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2013, 02:53:44 PM »

(Al was probably having a secret affair with some backing band member -- but which one???).

LOL

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2013, 02:55:11 PM »

Love is going senile? As usual with the Beach Boys its SNAFU.  LOL

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2013, 02:55:28 PM »

And Mike killed any future band activity.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2013, 03:15:57 PM »

There might've been, as was posted on this board, an offer for a new album on the table. But before such an album would come to fruition, I have a feeling a lot of negotiating would've had to take place before the deal was finalized. We now know that Mike had/has some serious - repeat serious - issues that he wanted worked out. I don't have to tell you, SMiLE Brian (but I will anyway Grin), that Brian could say something one day and say something totally different the next. Yes, there were probably some more potential Beach Boys' songs on the infamous Wilson/Thomas tapes, and Brian might've blurted out in an interview that he was up for another BB album...There's just too much that would have to be worked out; it could never be a slam dunk, just because Brian Wilson was open to it one particular day.

As far as Mike's recent quote stating that Brian was also agreeable in ending the reunion tour...I know it's difficult because of people's biases, but try to look at it with some common sense (I know that's a dangerous practice when dealing with The Beach Boys police). You have to ask yourself if you think Mike was lying and Brian didn't intimate to him that he was ready to pack it in. I have posted several times that all of the Beach Boys are full of sh*t, but I not only believe that Brian said those things to Mike, I EXPECTED Brian to want to wrap up the tour - much earlier than they actually did. A little more common sense...Brian was a 70 year old man with an aching back. He hasn't done a 70 date tour since, when, 1964? He was probably mentally and physically exhausted. Do you think Brian wanted to continue the hour long soundchecks? I couldn't tell if he was awake or asleep at the soundcheck I attended. Do you think he wanted to sit and pose and smile for 200 fans for an hour BEFORE the show? Do you think he enjoyed forcing himself to play the piano and singing "oohs, ahs, doo-doos, and dit-dits" to 30+ songs a night? Do you think Brian got along with Mike, so much so that he wanted to spend MORE time with him?  

Brian was the good soldier and he did do all of those above things. He didn't miss a show. I'm not sure he missed a song. But, there were some things posted about the impact of Brian and Mike's wives. There is probably some truth to that - whatever their impact was. Do you ever get the feeling that Melinda might've been the one (on Brian's side) behind the tour being extended, or expressing disappointment when it ended. Do you really believe that Brian wanted to go past 70 shows, maybe up to 100, maybe have to spend a few more months with Mike Love, maybe more time recording with him? Or, do you believe Brian was relieved when the tour ended, mentally and physically relieved, so he could go home to be with his kids, in the comforts of his home, with his daily trips to his favorite deli, so he could lay on his couch and listen to his oldies radio station, so he could record a solo album on his own terms? Don't you really think that Brian was relieved, I guess you'd have to say secretly relieved, when the reunion tour ended after 70 shows?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 03:19:38 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2013, 03:26:58 PM »

And Mike killed any future band activity.

and Michael killed his credibility a long long time ago.  Brian is still just "not right" so he gets a pass.  Grin

You have to admit there is never a dull moment in BB's land.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2013, 03:27:28 PM »

Brian was really into some of the shows. Some of them, he wasn't. There were big breaks between blocks of shows, so it's not like he was overly taxed. Ray Lawlor, who is a close personal friend of Brian's, talked about how much fun Brian was having. I'm also sure that wasn't true 100 percent of the time.

Regardless, the question has never been whether Brian would take on a Mike-style touring load. I think most people knew that wasn't in the cards. The question was whether or not the five principals would keep working as a unit in some capacity. And there was abundant precedent for that, too -- basically for all of the 1980s, Brian was stll part of the band and played various shows with them, but also did stuff on his own for extended periods. The total dismantling of the C50 edifice -- no future album, no future tours, no more promo of the full group -- that was the issue.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2013, 03:28:31 PM »

Great post Sheriff, BW did have some more wear and tear by the end of the tour. But the man at the UK shows was no worn out figure, he was happy and performing at 100%. BW measures his career and life by success, why would he walk away from the momentum of a number 3 album and offers for more BBs albums? He was in a groove by the end of C50 and wanted more in my opinion.

Brian wanted to right the BBs ship and almost complety did before M&B wanted their way....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2013, 03:38:18 PM »

Great post Sheriff, BW did have some more wear and tear by the end of the tour. But the man at the UK shows was no worn out figure, he was happy and performing at 100%. BW measures his career and life by success, why would he walk away from the momentum of a number 3 album and offers for more BBs albums? He was in a groove by the end of C50 and wanted more in my opinion.

Brian wanted to right the BBs ship and almost complety did before M&B wanted their way....

Reason for that could very well have been the three week break between the last Australian date (9/2) and the London shows (9/27 & 9/28), not to mention knowing it would be the final dates.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx