gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680743 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 07:35:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love: 'There are a lot of fallacies about me'  (Read 99286 times)
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

How can I show you Zen if you do not first empty y

View Profile
« on: July 04, 2013, 08:12:30 AM »

This appeared in The Guardian today:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2013/jul/04/beach-boys-mike-love-interview
Jason
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 08:16:00 AM »

A straight shooter. Gotta love him.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 08:17:20 AM »

Not in my copy of the Guardian it didn't. All I had was an interview with Ellen Page (woof!). Think this maybe an online only piece. Anyway, now to read it...
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 08:21:47 AM »

Fucking hell - not again

''I was at the breakfast table when Paul McCartney came down with his acoustic guitar playing Back in the USSR. I said, "You ought to put something in about all the girls around Russia," and he did''.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 08:29:17 AM »

Fucking hell - not again

''I was at the breakfast table when Paul McCartney came down with his acoustic guitar playing Back in the USSR. I said, "You ought to put something in about all the girls around Russia," and he did''.

This actually had me rolling on the floor with laughter! He must do that intentionally... No-one can really be like that, I'm sure?

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 08:42:47 AM »

"I was hoping to get together with Brian on [2012's] That's Why God Made the Radio, but a guy who was involved in the production of that album engineered it otherwise."

Cat's pretty much out of the bag on that one, then.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 08:47:44 AM »

I found the public comments following the piece more entertaining than the interview.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 08:58:41 AM »

Not in my copy of the Guardian it didn't. All I had was an interview with Ellen Page (woof!). Think this maybe an online only piece. Anyway, now to read it...

It'll be in tomorrows paper.

God, any of us could write this though. Good on Dave Simpson for asking a better set of questions but he STILL GOES ON ABOUT THE BLOODY BEATLES.

He's also writing a book. Mike Love Like A Man. He also refers to himself in the third person here, god love him.

Yeah, the JT dig is... interesting. Tough call - Brian has stockpile of tunes he wants for 'final' Beach Boys album he's been saving for over a decade vs. Mike's interest in writing with Brian. But then, the Don Was quote about how the two worked together in the nineties springs to mind.

'Do you see a lot of Brian?'

'I saw a lot of him on the tour' is a bit lol. '70 dates is enough of Brian, tbh'

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 09:04:28 AM »

I think the people who hate "Kokomo" and blame Mike for it are giving him too much credit.  John Phillips and Scott McKenzie wrote it.  Melcher and Love's writing credits are mostly superfluous.

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 09:22:48 AM »

I found the public comments following the piece more entertaining than the interview.

Agreed. This made me laugh out loud:

''When I was a kid, he [Mike] really scared me in the Good Vibrations video. All the others were cute and chubby and he was there like a Manson tramp that had wandered in off the street. Terrifying''.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 09:25:39 AM »

That one caused a coffee spittake all over my monitor. Thanks, Guardian comments section.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 09:28:56 AM »

Fucking hell - not again

This actually had me rolling on the floor with laughter! He must do that intentionally... No-one can really be like that, I'm sure?

He obviously just genuinely doesn't realise how daft it makes him look saying these same things over and over again. What gets me is here is someone who was in the greatest American band of all time, who co-wrote numerous stone-cold classics - including The Greatest Single Of All Time: Good Vibrations - and yet all he ever bangs on about is how he once vaguely suggested some song lyrics to Paul McCartney 45 years ago... What is wrong with the man?
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 09:33:26 AM »

I don't believe one bit that Mike was sober during the Olympia '69 concert.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 09:40:48 AM »

Fucking hell - not again

He obviously just genuinely doesn't realise how daft it makes him look saying these same things over and over again. What gets me is here is someone who was in the greatest American band of all time, who co-wrote numerous stone-cold classics - including The Greatest Single Of All Time: Good Vibrations - and yet all he ever bangs on about is how he once vaguely suggested some song lyrics to Paul McCartney 45 years ago... What is wrong with the man?
I'll say one thing that he was correct about, and that is, we do have too much time on our hands. If he thinks giving Paul advice on a song is important to him, then so be it. I'm glad he has memories that make him happy and give meaning to his life. None of what he said here is worth going over in here for the 1,000th time. The only new thing was the Joe Thomas stuff. I guess he was really there to run interference between Brian & Mike. And we thought it was just to add autotune to everything. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
oldsurferdude
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2013, 09:47:34 AM »

Based on the comments here and on Facebook, myKe luHv's reputation for being an asshole is vastly widespread and fairly common knowledge. Skip the book, myKe-we already know your story. Transcendental Meditation
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2013, 09:50:11 AM »

Same here.  And they're on the money.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2013, 10:00:55 AM »

I'll say one thing that he was correct about, and that is, we do have too much time on our hands.

Exactly! Mike Love really told the truth with that one. Seriously. I'm not a Pro-Lover by any means, but he told it like it is. Especially concerning some of the people on this board. They have no lives, and have nothing else in the world to do but come on this board and rag on Mike about this and that and the other thing. The guy can't do anything right. Especially on the subject of the end of the C50 tour.  It's really old hat.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Jason
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2013, 10:04:44 AM »

I'll say one thing that he was correct about, and that is, we do have too much time on our hands.

Exactly! Mike Love really told the truth with that one. Seriously. I'm not a Pro-Lover by any means, but he told it like it is. Especially concerning some of the people on this board. They have no lives, and have nothing else in the world to do but come on this board and rag on Mike about this and that and the other thing. The guy can't do anything right. Especially on the subject of the end of the C50 tour.  It's really old hat.

+1
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2013, 10:09:34 AM »

I'll say one thing that he was correct about, and that is, we do have too much time on our hands. If he thinks giving Paul advice on a song is important to him, then so be it. I'm glad he has memories that make him happy and give meaning to his life. None of what he said here is worth going over in here for the 1,000th time. The only new thing was the Joe Thomas stuff. I guess he was really there to run interference between Brian & Mike. And we thought it was just to add autotune to everything. Wink

This is basically how I feel, too, about the interview. I will only add that, yes, we now we have proof (if you believe Mike; most Beach Boys are full of sh*t in their interviews) that Mike was not happy with the recording process of TWGMTR. However, Brian could've overridden Joe Thomas and didn't. Mike didn't say it but I'll bet he was hurt and disappointed, and HE STILL IS. I don't think Mike wants a repeat of that situation, thus, we have another Brian Wilson solo album.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2013, 10:15:47 AM »

"Hey Brian, I just went to the beach and the waves and the girls were great. We've got to do a song called Do It Again."

Pure genius.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2013, 10:20:03 AM »

Nice to see Mike is finally getting a book together. Love him or hate him, the man has got a story to tell.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2013, 10:29:02 AM »

Let's be real here: If you hung out with the Beatles and helped inspire one of their songs that sees a lot of radio play for forty-five years, you'd probably bring it up a lot too.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2013, 10:39:04 AM »

Let's be real here: If you hung out with the Beatles and helped inspire one of their songs that sees a lot of radio play for forty-five years, you'd probably bring it up a lot too.

Paul McCartney said that "God Only Knows" is his favorite song. Paul McCartney said that "God Only Knows" is his favorite song. Paul McCartney said that "God Only Knows" is his favorite song. Paul McCartney said....
Jason
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2013, 10:43:24 AM »

Paul McCartney said that "God Only Knows" is his favorite song. Paul McCartney said that "God Only Knows" is his favorite song. Paul McCartney said that "God Only Knows" is his favorite song. Paul McCartney said....

+1. Way to point out the Brianista double standard.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2013, 11:09:42 AM »

Saying that you wrote Paul's favorite song which Paul would probably agree with is a little bit different than saying that you helped Paul write a song which Paul would probably deny.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 11:38:01 AM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 25 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx