gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681220 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 29, 2024, 04:58:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love: 'There are a lot of fallacies about me'  (Read 100310 times)
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2013, 05:38:26 PM »

Mike's comments are heartbreaking. It is now clear that he never have the full emotional and creative Union I should say reunion he longed for with his cousin Brian. We have at best marginal Beach Boys album. And it looks like we are never going to get a true new Beach Boys album because of these circumstances. Mike brought an open n heart and a creative mind back to the band he loves, and he was rebuffed and rejected by all those neo Landy forces.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2013, 06:11:02 PM »

spring vacation is a rocking romp that should have been promoted and should have been a single put out the spring before the album was released. Beaches in mind is under produced and needs to be completely remade to achieve greatness. I do not doubt that the engineer or producer who put it together intentionally encoded failure in it. I believe that Mike was given a few minutes to write those lyrics in some preexisting songs, but never had a full contemplative meditative time alone with Brian to write and to think. He was asked to fill in but not to compose exclusively or in a comfortable setting with Brian. This is what my cuz just now said, and now we all know that it must be true because I had revealed it. How tragic for him to be ddenied this opportunity and look at the result
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2013, 06:12:58 PM »

I think the last album was far from marginal and think the creative process was similar to Pet Sounds.  Mike got three songs on it, rather than the one and "good night" refrain on Pet Sounds.  He also got more lead vocals too, I think.  Mike still brags about Ole Pet Sounds but comparatively, TWGMTR was a more collaborative record.  He should be proud of his contributions to it and not complain that he didn't get to make more. 

We know Al was disappointed that Waves Of Love got blown off and we know that Bruce and David were at least given an inkling that they might get a songwriting credit on the album.  I suspect the circumstances of their songs not making it were similar to what Al went through but we don't hear the other guys complaining about not being able to write more songs on the album.  Sheesh, Mike!  You are the stage (as you've hammered home the point by choosing to not extend the reunion tour for a third leg), Brian is the studio.  Right?  OK then.  Let everyone play their roles.  Be the instrument you were OK being in the "Come Back To LA" footage and be happy that the Beach Boys can continue to make people happy with their CONTINUED music (the way TWGMTR made ME happy).  ...Or don't.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 06:20:25 PM by Phoenix » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2013, 06:16:41 PM »

I have never believed that a Beach Boys album, good or great or otherwise, requires Mike and Brian to co-write songs. Pet Sounds and Smile and Holland and Love You all work without that ingredient, and they are many folks' favorites. TWGMTR is far more than a marginal BB record, and its shortcomings are, in general, Mike's contributions.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2013, 06:16:51 PM »

With Carl [Wilson], he'd been smoking since he was 13 or 14 and contracted lung cancer. That was a bummer.
Mike fancies himself a wordsmith, but the best word he can come up with to describe Carl's death -- his cousin, his bandmate of 37 years --  is "bummer"? Bummer?

Did it ever occur to you that it's probably not something he likes talking about?
Why is calling Carl's death "a bummer" easier on Mike's feelings than calling it, for instance, "heartbreaking"?

I'm not saying that Mike didn't feel Carl's death keenly -- what I am saying is that after 15 years Mike, the Beach Boys word man,  should have come up with a less crass way of discussing what is, arguably, the key event in Mike's professional life.
Do we here put words in your mouth? Do we tell you how to express your feelings? Mike should be allowed to express his feelings within ways that he is comfortable, just like you or any of us.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2013, 06:26:56 PM »

I have never believed that a Beach Boys album, good or great or otherwise, requires Mike and Brian to co-write songs. Pet Sounds and Smile and Holland and Love You all work without that ingredient, and they are many folks' favorites. TWGMTR is far more than a marginal BB record, and its shortcomings are, in general, Mike's contributions.
Though you are correct in many ways, you are still incorrect in so far as the music that they are most known for, and what each faction plays at there concerts, and for what most of the fans go to hear. Also, which albums do you think sell the best? To this day, the pre Pet Sounds era is what most fans want to hear and buy. After 50 years, it is what it is no matter how we think we know better.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 06:28:19 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2013, 06:29:53 PM »

Exactly!  Rock!

Mike is a BIG part of the band and his early co-writes are classics but there's SOOOOO much more to the Beach Boys than that.  Write some, sing some, and enjoy the ride, Mike.  Stop being so negative, Mr. Positivity.   LOL
oldsurferdude
« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2013, 07:53:25 PM »

w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Pacific Coast
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2013, 08:31:49 PM »

For a long while, I was of the opinion that Mike Love was a good reason to be embarrassed to be a Beach Boys fan.
I was much more comfortable identifying as a Brian Wilson fan. And, in recent years, he has made me proud in my loyalty.
But, I've also mellowed toward Mike and now appreciate more his stage-persona and his being in accord with the realities of show-biz.

He's worked diligently over the years to give the masses what they expect from The Beach Boys, and he's played the scapegoat for as many years for all that is wrong with the Beach Boys. He's an easy target, it seems, whether its his fault or not.  But my attitude these days is that he has every right to claim commercial success and artistic integrity. He was a Father of the band's early image of surf, cars, and girls-----a winning formula. He stretched out as a songster in such gems as "Warmth of the Sun" and "Good Vibrations." Those works, written on short order, have endured the test of time. I think now that his antagonism toward SMiLE is exaggerated; he delivered what Brian asked of him in those vocal sessions, and his loss of faith in Brian seems only to take full form after the production collapsed and when Brian retreated from working. And yet, Mike kept on delivering solid lyrics, like "Wild Honey" and "Darlin'" and he kept the band commercially viable (at least) as a touring entity that kept the music alive year after year. He's earned bragging rights about the friendly competition with the Beatles, and the artistic license to make a legend out of suggesting a hook to Paul McCartney. I also think he's an interesting example of "West Coast Seeking" in his trip to India and lifelong practice of meditation; that influence in Beach Boys songs certainly planted seeds in my own spiritual life, which led to my embracing of the ideals of Vedanta and yogic disciplines.

lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2013, 08:55:55 PM »

Losing Carl was a bummer...?
Dennis Wilson's Demise...?

Demise sounds like he was murdered!

So when Mike's demise happens that will be a bummer...   Shocked
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 08:58:30 PM by lostbeachboy » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2013, 09:04:38 PM »

I honestly think Mike treats Brian like poorly even though he owes Brian everything for his current wealth and lifestyle. (IMO)

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2013, 09:13:02 PM »

With Carl [Wilson], he'd been smoking since he was 13 or 14 and contracted lung cancer. That was a bummer.
Mike fancies himself a wordsmith, but the best word he can come up with to describe Carl's death -- his cousin, his bandmate of 37 years --  is "bummer"? Bummer?
Didn't McCartney say it was a bummer when John got murdered and was heavily criticized for it?

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2013, 09:48:05 PM »

Mike fancies himself a wordsmith, but the best word he can come up with to describe Carl's death -- his cousin, his bandmate of 37 years --  is "bummer"? Bummer?
Didn't McCartney say it was a bummer when John got murdered and was heavily criticized for it?

He said it was a "drag".

Honestly, Mike and Brian are both crappy interviews. Mike always says the same thing, Brian hates being interviewed so usually says the same crap too, or he just blames things on drugs. The only one who is even a halfway decent interview is Al, not that he is more accurate than Mike and Brian, but he's just a better interview.

They never had a guy who could talk to and engage the press well, which is probably part of why their profile is lower than it should be.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2013, 09:58:41 PM »

Also, at first glance I thought this thread title was,

Mike Love: 'There are a lot of fellatio about me'

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2013, 09:59:50 PM »

Mike fancies himself a wordsmith, but the best word he can come up with to describe Carl's death -- his cousin, his bandmate of 37 years --  is "bummer"? Bummer?

He said it was a "drag".

Honestly, Mike and Brian are both crappy interviews. Mike always says the same thing, Brian hates being interviewed so usually says the same crap too, or he just blames things on drugs. The only one who is even a halfway decent interview is Al, not that he is more accurate than Mike and Brian, but he's just a better interview.

They never had a guy who could talk to and engage the press well, which is probably part of why their profile is lower than it should be.

Yeah, that was it, A Drag. Guess it was worse because it had just happened.

Mike does seem to always say the same thing. He has the unique talent of positive talking in the most negative way.
Al is a good interview but his memory might be even worse than mine.  Shocked
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 10:01:35 PM by Fake Beard » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 04, 2013, 10:24:23 PM »

I would have liked the reporter to have asked, do you guys really get along, and if not, why.

I think Mike is obsessed with TM and if he was serious about lyrics, they would be TM infused, like Cool Head, Warm Heart.  It didn't do anything for me.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 04, 2013, 10:34:46 PM »

Brian is still bringing great music to the table and Mike is not, that's not Brian's problem.

The world is not missing out on 40 minutes of Spring Vacation.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #67 on: July 04, 2013, 11:45:03 PM »

Did it ever occur to you that it's probably not something he likes talking about?
Why is calling Carl's death "a bummer" easier on Mike's feelings than calling it, for instance, "heartbreaking"?

I'm not saying that Mike didn't feel Carl's death keenly -- what I am saying is that after 15 years Mike, the Beach Boys word man,  should have come up with a less crass way of discussing what is, arguably, the key event in Mike's professional life.
Do we here put words in your mouth? Do we tell you how to express your feelings? Mike should be allowed to express his feelings within ways that he is comfortable, just like you or any of us.

I reckon Mike could've said 'Carl? I'm glad he's dead' and people on here would still be saying 'Hey allow Mike to express his grief his own way' etc. Well sorry, but it really isn't ok to describe the death of your cousin and band-mate of 30+ years as a 'bummer'. A bummer is stubbing your toe in the morning or having your bike stolen. Mike's a grown adult. Most grown-ups have learnt by the age of 70 what language is and isn't appropriate and when.

Anyway, on a positive note it looks from what he says that First Love might be due for release. I certainly hope so, and I hope we get the originals and not new recordings. It's a great album! Viggie is one of his finest ever songs. Hope Glow Crescent Glow will see the light of day too - beautiful track.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #68 on: July 04, 2013, 11:59:14 PM »

Here's a few more comments left beneath Mike's interview. Please note: I am NOT saying I agree and/or disagree with these, I'm just posting them as an example of people's differentiating (and often extreme) opinions of Mike. This first one is pretty shocking (I've never heard anyone ever claim 'Mike popped champagne when Dennis died'). He really does seem to stir very strong reactions in people.

Mike Love:

Popped champagne when cousin Dennis died (Allegedly).
Bullied cousin Brian.
Brother Steve Love physically assaulted cousin Dennis.
Brother Stan Love physically assaulted cousin Dennis, destroying his voice and physically scarring him.
Brother Stan Love physically assaulted cousin Carl (you know the placid one).
Blondie Chaplin left The Beach Boys because brother Stan Love physically assaulted him (noticing a pattern yet?).
Gave his first wife cigarettes to impress her (and later beat the sh*t out of her for smoking).
Beat up other women.
Thumped someone else's child for messing up his house.
Called cousin Dennis “a drugged-out no-talent parasite who we've sacked”.
Keeps suing his cousins and poor Al Jardine.
Sacked cousin Brian, Al & David Marks so he could tour with fairgrounds with his touring band.
Demands songwriting credits for writing one or two lines of a song (or even a few words).
Verbally assaulted & belittled far more talented musicians at the RR Hall of Fame, while his embarrassed bandmates had to stand there like idiots.

Mike Love openly ripping apart the rock/pop canon at the R&RHOF is more 'punk' than not showing up and sending a letter.

The man is comedy gold. Whether it's intentional or not is pretty irrelevant.

A lot of hostility towards Mike here. Each of the Beach Boys had their flaws and the music I know and love would not exist as we know it without Mike.

Mike Love, not war.

You might have asked this clown about giving seed money to found Tipper Gore's music censorship organization the PMRC, and how his supposed "anti-war" beliefs fit in with his strong support of Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush. He still wouldn't understand why people hate him, but everyone else would.

Huge BB fan, I cant see the BB's without Mike Love's trademark "cali whine" sound. I liked Pet Sounds, but I prefer the early 60's stuff. Surfing Safari, Surfing, Surfin' USA, 409, Catch a Wave, etc. these would not be the same without Mike's vocals...and he still looks good with all that plastic surgery...

[Has Mike had surgery?]
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 05, 2013, 12:06:52 AM »

Huge BB fan, I cant see the BB's without Mike Love's trademark "cali whine" sound. I liked Pet Sounds, but I prefer the early 60's stuff. Surfing Safari, Surfing, Surfin' USA, 409, Catch a Wave, etc. these would not be the same without Mike's vocals...and he still looks good with all that plastic surgery...

[Has Mike had surgery?]

I can't find anything on Mike having surgery, but it does seem like something he would try to do to keep up The Beach Boys image.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 12:08:53 AM by BubblyWaves » Logged
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 05, 2013, 12:29:09 AM »

Let's face it, those message-board people who "have more time on their hands than they should" would probably be the only ones truly interested in a Mike Love solo album.

I wouldn't mind more Brian/Mike co-writes but please spare us with stuff like "Beaches in Mind". Just because people still love the early hits doesn't mean they want to hear pale and calculated imitations of what was once youthful, innocent, joyful and brilliant. They should probably go for a love-song approach, I think that might spur some interesting results. Mike's always been very good at these type of lyrics anyway (think 2nd side of Today, Warmth of the Sun, the whole of Wild Honey, All I Wanna Do...).
MBE
« Reply #71 on: July 05, 2013, 12:58:09 AM »

Mike comes off fine here. People saying otherwise are looking to pick at things. No doubt he does say it like he sees it here.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 05, 2013, 01:13:24 AM »

What was to stop Mike writing great lyrics beforehand and bringing them to Brian?

Where were the pre-written lyrics on a par with Mike's excellent Wild Honey songs, lyrics so good Brian was inspired to come up with some crazy beautiful melody to back them up?

If Mike didn't get a chance to co-write new stuff with Brian, then it's Brian's call.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 05, 2013, 01:23:47 AM »

Mike comes off fine here. People saying otherwise are looking to pick at things. No doubt he does say it like he sees it here.

Both these posts seem on the money to me.

He really does seem to stir very strong reactions in people.

Right on the money!

“We live in divisive times.”
MBE
« Reply #74 on: July 05, 2013, 01:36:33 AM »

Ultimately when I feel he's acted like a bonehead I say so, but most times the reaction he gets is odd to me. If (for instance) Smile alone is the crux for most people, listen to Mike's vocals during those sessions. Like his other band mates his singing was brilliant. He has a lot of faults, but when I think of Smile myself I enjoy the performances and forget about any drama. If he didn't end up doing his job so well, maybe I would complain more too.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 25 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx