gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:52:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 65 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unpopular Beach Boys opinions  (Read 348071 times)
beacharg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #750 on: January 31, 2014, 06:20:14 PM »

I've said it once, I've said it 100 times

I hate Surfer Girl

Shocked

Well THIS is unpopular.
I almost cried when i read it. Surfer Girl is probably one the most beautiful song EVER recorded, it is perfect vocally, melodicaly, structurally,...
And hey... it's Brian's favourite BBs song!
bluesno1fann
« Reply #751 on: January 31, 2014, 06:29:05 PM »

I've said it once, I've said it 100 times

I hate Surfer Girl

Shocked

Well THIS is unpopular.
I almost cried when i read it. Surfer Girl is probably one the most beautiful song EVER recorded, it is perfect vocally, melodicaly, structurally,...
And hey... it's Brian's favourite BBs song!

Agreed 100%. Give Me Surfer Girl over In My Room anyday!
zachrwolfe
« Reply #752 on: January 31, 2014, 06:50:18 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:27:15 PM by zatch » Logged
Blue2013
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #753 on: February 01, 2014, 06:16:54 PM »

Here is a doozy, I think 15 Big Ones was a good album
But not a great one,
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 06:18:45 PM by Blue2013 » Logged
Blue2013
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #754 on: February 01, 2014, 06:20:05 PM »

While Surfer Girl isn't by any means a bad song, it is probably their most overrated among both the fans and the band.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #755 on: February 01, 2014, 07:52:44 PM »

Here is a doozy, I think 15 Big Ones was a good album
But not a great one,

Let's see, in terms of decent songs, It's got Palisades Park, Just Once In My Life.....................................

You're right, that is an unpopular opinion  Grin

While Surfer Girl isn't by any means a bad song, it is probably their most overrated among both the fans and the band.

Going to have to disagree. I don't think it's overrated at all.
Fun, Fun, Fun is the Beach Boy's most overrated song, hands down!  Bow Bow Bow Bow Bow Bow Bow Bow Bow Bow Bow Bow Bow Bow Bow
Runner-ups include 409, Shut Down, Little Deuce Coupe, Catch A Wave (oh ESPECIALLY Catch A Wave), Girls On The Beach, Dance Dance Dance, Barbara Ann (to the General Public, us Hardcore Fans know it sucks), Busy Doin' Nothin', I Went To Sleep, Time To Get Alone (those 3 I just mentioned are insufferably boring), Do It Again, 4th Of July, Marcella, Rock And Roll Music, It's OK, Had To Phone Ya, Come Go With Me, Goin' On, Male Ego, Kokomo (Once again, to the General Public), Isn't It Time, etc.
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #756 on: February 01, 2014, 08:28:23 PM »

Fun, Fun, Fun is the Beach Boy's most overrated song, hands down!  Bow Bow Bow Bow Bow Bow Bow Bow Bow Bow Bow Bow Bow Bow Bow
Runner-ups include 409, Shut Down, Little Deuce Coupe, Catch A Wave (oh ESPECIALLY Catch A Wave), Girls On The Beach, Dance Dance Dance, Busy Doin' Nothin', I Went To Sleep, Time To Get Alone, Do It Again, Marcella, Had To Phone Ya, Goin' On

Roll Eyes You might as well just post "Brian Wilson is overrated" and be done with it.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #757 on: February 01, 2014, 08:36:11 PM »

Runner-ups include 409, Shut Down, Little Deuce Coupe, Catch A Wave (oh ESPECIALLY Catch A Wave), Girls On The Beach, Dance Dance Dance, Busy Doin' Nothin', I Went To Sleep, Time To Get Alone, Do It Again, Marcella, Had To Phone Ya, Goin' On

Roll Eyes You might as well just post "Brian Wilson is overrated" and be done with it.

But he isn't...
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #758 on: February 01, 2014, 08:47:12 PM »

Is that really that much of a stretch for me to say that you prefer the Brother era when Brian was not very involved in the group than to when he was in complete control?
bluesno1fann
« Reply #759 on: February 01, 2014, 09:13:59 PM »

Is that really that much of a stretch for me to say that you prefer the Brother era when Brian was not very involved in the group than to when he was in complete control?

In a way, yes. In a way, no.

Don't forget the Brother era also spawned the horrible 15 Big Ones.
My favourite era of the BB's is the 66-73 era, which includes Brian's masterpieces. And though you may think I find Brian overrated, the truth could not be more different.
Here's some of the songs I really like from him:
Surfin' Safari, Cuckoo Clock, Surfin' USA, Farmer's Daughter, Lonely Sea, Surfer Girl, In My Room, Hawaii, Your Summer Dream, Be True To Your School, The Warmth Of The Sun, Don't Worry Baby, Keep An Eye On Summer, All Summer Long, I Get Around, Wendy, We'll Run Away, Little Saint Nick, Please Let Me Wonder, In The Back Of My Mind, Let Him Run Wild, California Girls, Help Me Rhonda (Though I do much prefer the 70's bluesier live version), Girl Don't Tell Me, Summer Means New Love, The Little Girl I Once Knew, You Still Believe In Me, Don't Talk, Let's Go Away For A While, God Only Knows, I Just Wasn't Made For These Times, Pet Sounds, Caroline No, Good Vibrations, Heroes And Villains, Do You Like Worms?, Cabinessence, Surf's Up, The Elements: Fire, Vegetables, Gettin' Hungry, Wild Honey, Darlin', Here Comes The Night, Friends, Wake The World, Passing By, Break Away, This Whole World, Add Some Music To Your Day, A Day In The Life Of A Tree, 'Til I Die, You Need A Mess Of Help To Stand Alone, Sail On Sailor, Just Once In My Life, Mona, Johnny Carson, Good Time, Honkin' Down The Highway, Ding Dang, Solar System, I'll Bet His Nice, I Want To Pick You Up, Airplane, Pitter Patter, My Diane, Match Point Of Our Love, Good Timin', Getcha Back, Crack At Your Love, I'm So Lonely, Rock And Roll To The Rescue, That's Why God Made The Radio, From There To Back Again, Summer's Gone, etc.
Also, I consider his debut solo album to be the second-best by any BB's member.

I am in no way a Brianista, and am not the Brian fanatic that a lot of people are around here, but In no way do I consider him overrated. He created one of the best albums of all-time and it was him that got me into the BB's. And while I do prefer the post-Pet Sounds pre-15 Big Ones work over the pre-Pet Sounds work, that doesn't mean I think of him as overrated. It's just my own personal taste!
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #760 on: February 01, 2014, 10:01:50 PM »

My favourite era of the BB's is the 66-73 era, which includes Brian's masterpieces. And though you may think I find Brian overrated, the truth could not be more different.
snip
I am in no way a Brianista, and am not the Brian fanatic that a lot of people are around here, but In no way do I consider him overrated. He created one of the best albums of all-time and it was him that got me into the BB's. And while I do prefer the post-Pet Sounds pre-15 Big Ones work over the pre-Pet Sounds work, that doesn't mean I think of him as overrated. It's just my own personal taste!

While it's reassuring that you do like a lot of Brian's songs, I still think your taste is greatly at odds with what the Beach Boys were and are to many people.  I guess it's hard for me to wrap my head around someone who hates Shut Down, Dance Dance Dance, Busy Doin Nothin' AND Marcella simultaneously.

I guess I'm also tired of the word "overrated" used as some sort of criticism.  Overrated by whom, compared to what?  It's such a vague, meaningless term...devoid of any depth.  If you're going to assault the most-well known or acclaimed songs in the BB canon on this board ad nauseam, that's fine...but it would be nice if you could at least provide some insight as to why they're not as good as we think they are.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #761 on: February 01, 2014, 10:20:11 PM »

snip

While it's reassuring that you do like a lot of Brian's songs, I still think your taste is greatly at odds with what the Beach Boys were and are to many people.  I guess it's hard for me to wrap my head around someone who hates Shut Down, Dance Dance Dance, Busy Doin Nothin' AND Marcella simultaneously.

I guess I'm also tired of the word "overrated" used as some sort of criticism.  Overrated by whom, compared to what?  It's such a vague, meaningless term...devoid of any depth.  If you're going to assault the most-well known or acclaimed songs in the BB canon on this board ad nauseam, that's fine...but it would be nice if you could at least provide some insight as to why they're not as good as we think they are.

I don't hate any of those songs you mentioned, I just don't think they're as good as other people say they are.

When I said Fun, Fun, Fun is overrated, it's because it's one of their most famous songs, and that's something I simply never understood as I've literally never liked it. I guess it's a matter of different tastes
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #762 on: February 01, 2014, 10:28:07 PM »

Agree with you here. When you're talking about not so well known songs in the band's back catalouge, how can you say that, for example, Winter Symphony is overrated? Just because I might not like it while other do does not mean it's overrated. It's stupid to think like that. Makes more sense to say things like "Knockin' on Heavens Door" is overrated, cuz its a radio monster that everyone seems to love. Busy Doin' Nothing overrated? Nuh uh. How many non-hardcore BB fans know that song?

Blue2013
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #763 on: February 01, 2014, 10:33:53 PM »

Agree with you here. When you're talking about not so well known songs in the band's back catalouge, how can you say that, for example, Winter Symphony is overrated? Just because I might not like it while other do does not mean it's overrated. It's stupid to think like that. Makes more sense to say things like "Knockin' on Heavens Door" is overrated, cuz its a radio monster that everyone seems to love. Busy Doin' Nothing overrated? Nuh uh. How many non-hardcore BB fans know that song?

Which is why you say the song is overrated by the fans.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #764 on: February 01, 2014, 10:36:18 PM »

But seeing a couple members voicing their opinions on a song does not equate to a song being overrated by the fans. It means that while some fans like the song.
The point is, saying something is overrated just generally doesn't mean much when dealing with songs like these.

Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #765 on: February 01, 2014, 10:58:59 PM »

I don't hate any of those songs you mentioned, I just don't think they're as good as other people say they are.

Why?  

Does the word "overrated" mean that you only sort-of like them?

When I said Fun, Fun, Fun is overrated, it's because it's one of their most famous songs, and that's something I simply never understood as I've literally never liked it. I guess it's a matter of different tastes

Five reasons why I like Fun, Fun, Fun

1. One of the best guitar intros/licks that Carl Wilson ever recorded and IMO expands on the Chuck Berry influence and transforms it into something far greater.  Fender guitar heaven
2. It's a great story song with some clever wordplay and imagery.  Love the change from "she'll have Fun, Fun, Fun" to "we'll have Fun, Fun, Fun".
3. Production-wise one of Brian's best "fast songs" and a clear sign of changing form and sophistication in the wake of expanded wrecking crew involvement.  Like an artist adding more colors to his pallete.  The horns in particular that were always a bit buried in the mix but revealed in the new stereo mix on MIC are great.
4. Brian's wordless falsetto in the tag is one of the best vocals he ever recorded, and the fade itself is one of their best
5. It represents California in the cultural zeitgeist better than perhaps any song they recorded, and that is probably why most people enjoy it.  It's (literally) a fun song that conjures images of sexy girls, convertibles and hamburgers.  What is there not to enjoy about it?

I think if you explained why you didn't like songs in a similar manner it would offer more for others to discuss than just using vague descriptors like "overrated", "slow" or "boring".  Just my opinion.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 11:20:30 PM by Ebb and Flow » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #766 on: February 01, 2014, 11:03:24 PM »

Why?  

Does the word "overrated" mean that you only sort-of like them?

Five reasons why I like Fun, Fun, Fun

1. One of the best guitar intros/licks that Carl Wilson ever recorded and IMO expands on the Chuck Berry influence and transforms it into something far greater.  Fender guitar heaven
1. It's a great story song with some clever wordplay and imagery.  Love the change from "she'll have Fun, Fun, Fun" to "we'll have Fun, Fun, Fun".
3. Production-wise one of Brian's best "fast songs" and a clear sign of changing form and sophistication in the wake of expanded wrecking crew involvement.  Like an artist adding more colors to his pallete.  The horns in particular that were always a bit buried in the mix but revealed in the new stereo mix on MIC are great.
4. Brian's wordless falsetto in the tag is one of the best vocals he ever recorded, and the fade itself is one of their best
5. It represents California in the cultural zeitgeist better than perhaps any song they recorded, and that is probably why most people enjoy it.  It's (literally) a fun song that conjures images of sexy girls, convertibles and hamburgers.  What is there not to enjoy about it?

I think if you explained why you didn't like songs in a similar manner it would offer more for others to discuss than just using vague descriptors like "overrated", "slow" or "boring".  Just my opinion.

I meant I don't hate those songs, but I don't like them. The only BB's songs I really hate would be Sumahama, California Calling and Summer Of Love. All the others I dislike I don't actually hate.

As for Fun, Fun, Fun, I just simply never liked it. There's just something about that song which is unbearable for me. Like I remember the first time I heard that song, which was at a 50's diner. It put me off the BB's for a while. I don't have to like every hit song they had.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 11:04:27 PM by The Fading Rock Group Revival » Logged
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #767 on: February 01, 2014, 11:19:25 PM »

As for Fun, Fun, Fun, I just simply never liked it. There's just something about that song which is unbearable for me. Like I remember the first time I heard that song, which was at a 50's diner. It put me off the BB's for a while. I don't have to like every hit song they had.

You certainly don't, but I don't see what the point of trying to continually convince others it's a bad or "overrated" song, especially if you won't even go into why you don't like it in any greater detail.  In terms of discussion it's a non-starter.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #768 on: February 01, 2014, 11:25:12 PM »

You certainly don't, but I don't see what the point of trying to continually convince others it's a bad or "overrated" song, especially if you won't even go into why you don't like it in any greater detail.  In terms of discussion it's a non-starter.

I wasn't trying to convince anyone. I was just stating my opinion
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #769 on: February 01, 2014, 11:41:05 PM »

The Beach Boys 85 is a good album.  SBILA, The CW Rockers, Brian's  I'm so Lonely , alone make it  their best output from LA until TWGMTR, as a single studio .

I don't listen to POB.     just always find BB material I'd rather hear

Joe Thomas has been a positive for BW and the Beach Boys, all things considered.

I like Jack Rieley songs.

Vocals on the song Wild Honey  leave me cold.  Even CW.

rogerlancelot
« Reply #770 on: February 01, 2014, 11:44:57 PM »

I think that "California Saga" sucks and drags the Holland album down a major notch. The Fairytale sucks too. Everything else is great including "We Got Love" (which should have been on there!) and especially "The Trader". "Only With You" has a beautiful yet understated string arrangement. The middle part of "Leaving This Town" (synth solo) reminds me of early 70's Pink Floyd in a way (and that is a good thing). Actually Holland is kind of a boring album that although is considered one of their finer albums pales in comparison to the previous album (So Tough) where every song is excellent.

How is that for an unpopular opinion?
bluesno1fann
« Reply #771 on: February 01, 2014, 11:51:55 PM »

The Beach Boys 85 is a good album.  SBILA, The CW Rockers, Brian's  I'm so Lonely , alone make it  their best output from LA until TWGMTR, as a single studio.
I like Jack Rieley songs.

Totally agree, especially the first part  Smiley
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #772 on: February 02, 2014, 11:32:12 AM »

I think that "California Saga" sucks and drags the Holland album down a major notch. The Fairytale sucks too. Everything else is great including "We Got Love" (which should have been on there!) and especially "The Trader". "Only With You" has a beautiful yet understated string arrangement. The middle part of "Leaving This Town" (synth solo) reminds me of early 70's Pink Floyd in a way (and that is a good thing). Actually Holland is kind of a boring album that although is considered one of their finer albums pales in comparison to the previous album (So Tough) where every song is excellent.

How is that for an unpopular opinion?

Oddly enough, the Big Sur part of Saga popped up on shuffle today; I hadn't heard it for sometime and was reminded again what a great song I think it is. I love the whole Holland album, including the Fairytale which I consider Brian's last gasp of true genius.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #773 on: February 02, 2014, 12:28:02 PM »

Fun, Fun, Fun and Surfin' USA are two of my least favorite BB songs.
Blue2013
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #774 on: February 02, 2014, 12:51:52 PM »

I wasn't trying to convince anyone. I was just stating my opinion

Hey, here's another unpopular opinion. People can like what they like, it doesn't really matter.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 65 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx