gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680748 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 02:58:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 65 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unpopular Beach Boys opinions  (Read 350124 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #600 on: January 09, 2014, 02:03:02 AM »

All Summer Long on the other hand I find to be the most overrated album, hands down. There's a few great songs, but after listening to the whole album, I just didn't understand why it's so highly rated!
You're only the 2nd poster who says so, from what I gather. We all think it's great.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #601 on: January 09, 2014, 02:12:35 AM »

All Summer Long on the other hand I find to be the most overrated album, hands down. There's a few great songs, but after listening to the whole album, I just didn't understand why it's so highly rated!
You're only the 2nd poster who says so, from what I gather. We all think it's great.
Who's the first?
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #602 on: January 09, 2014, 02:19:09 AM »

I do not get into The Beach Boys when other people are listening with me.

Can't explain it, but their songs sound very sub-par when I am not listening alone.

I know what you mean. They don't seem to mix in sadly.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #603 on: January 09, 2014, 02:33:43 AM »

Who's the first?

Aegir.

Please delete my account
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #604 on: January 09, 2014, 03:37:13 AM »

Can't explain it, but their songs sound very sub-par when I am not listening alone.

I have experienced the same thing too. I thought I was the only one! I wonder why we feel that way though?
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #605 on: January 09, 2014, 03:49:57 AM »

SMiLE, had it come out in '67 as intended, would most certainly have been known as THE textbook definition of a summer of love psychedelic album, IMO. I don't think many people would dispute this (so this is actually probably a popular BB opinion).

I dispute this. In all friendship, of course. Smiley

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #606 on: January 09, 2014, 03:54:56 AM »

I Went To Sleep and Time To Get Alone from 20/20 I find overrated as well. Always found them to be the most boring tracks off that album.

Ha! Finally someone who agrees with me on this! I never dared to admit that before.

Do It Again IMHO is a horrible track, and is the worst song off 20/20.

Couldn't disagree more! Cheesy

Gohi
« Reply #607 on: January 09, 2014, 04:07:43 AM »

The way the C50 ended and Mike continued touring his version of the Beach Boys is embarrassing and indefensible, despite what many around here have conditioned themselves to believe.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #608 on: January 09, 2014, 05:00:11 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:30:53 PM by zatch » Logged
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #609 on: January 09, 2014, 05:06:41 AM »

My guess is that there is concern that whoever else is listening is only going to hear the music at face value. You have to listen to Surf's Up more than once to really get it, and I think that goes for a lot of their music.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #610 on: January 09, 2014, 05:17:57 AM »

The way the C50 ended and Mike continued touring his version of the Beach Boys is embarrassing and indefensible, despite what many around here have conditioned themselves to believe.
I take it you took the red pill to escape the Mike-trix....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #611 on: January 09, 2014, 05:35:39 AM »

My guess is that there is concern that whoever else is listening is only going to hear the music at face value. You have to listen to Surf's Up more than once to really get it, and I think that goes for a lot of their music.

I think that is spot on, albeit that it may not be the only reason.

But I had that indeed with 'Surf's Up'. I myself got its utter brilliance, its being pure art, only after repeated listening. And when I introduced newbies to it, they response almost uniformly was: hm, not much of a melody, is it? And it's so slow, and it has no beat...

For the as-yet-unknowing, even Pet Sounds will be pretty inaccessible at first, I bet. It is so atypical a pop/rock record, and its gazillion details only reveal themselves after numerous attentive listens...

Throw in Today, Smiley Smile, Friends, Wild Honey, Holland, CATP, Love You,,, same characteristics. And there you go: their best is way more complex than we hardcore fans may believe. Which is great praise, as for me.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #612 on: January 09, 2014, 08:49:03 AM »

But I had that indeed with 'Surf's Up'. I myself got its utter brilliance, its being pure art, only after repeated listening. And when I introduced newbies to it, they response almost uniformly was: hm, not much of a melody, is it? And it's so slow, and it has no beat...

I personally know someone who thinks Surf's Up is great! Grin

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #613 on: January 09, 2014, 09:01:47 AM »

I personally know someone who thinks Surf's Up is great! Grin

It may sound surprising, but I think I know whom you mean.

BTW: Surf's Up is, should I have to make a choice, my all time favourite pop song.

Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #614 on: January 09, 2014, 09:36:26 AM »

No offense, but I don't get this. The Beach Boys become sub-par because of what? The fact that your friends aren't fans? None of my friends "get" Mozart, but that doesn't make his music sub-par. It makes them clueless.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #615 on: January 09, 2014, 09:41:49 AM »

No offense, but I don't get this. The Beach Boys become sub-par because of what? The fact that your friends aren't fans? None of my friends "get" Mozart, but that doesn't make his music sub-par. It makes them clueless.

I apologise for throwing in my two cents' worth (= interpretation of 'sub-par'):

I did not take that literally. I took it to mean what I experience: I myself have a tendency to explain to others what is so great about the BBs. But this thought process, and my being wary of the other(s) not getting what I mean to say at all, makes the music itself become 'unravelled' in my own perception/brain/other. And then I think: gosh, they might find it very mediocre...

...I know all of this sounds very bizarre. But I love to hear my BBs alone, or in the company of fellow fans; preferably not with total newbies (after the experiences I described somewhere above).

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #616 on: January 09, 2014, 11:17:49 AM »

I apologise for throwing in my two cents' worth (= interpretation of 'sub-par'):

I did not take that literally. I took it to mean what I experience: I myself have a tendency to explain to others what is so great about the BBs. But this thought process, and my being wary of the other(s) not getting what I mean to say at all, makes the music itself become 'unravelled' in my own perception/brain/other. And then I think: gosh, they might find it very mediocre...

...I know all of this sounds very bizarre. But I love to hear my BBs alone, or in the company of fellow fans; preferably not with total newbies (after the experiences I described somewhere above).

Every time I tell some one I am a big beach boys fanI get the impression that they are thinking of Barbara Ann or Fun Fun Fun and may think I'm a simpleton who only likes catchy oldies.  But on occasion someone takes the opportunity to ask about Brian Wilson, Dennis, or the reunion tour.  Sometimes I just get a blank stare or forced smile.  The older I get the less I give a sh*t.
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #617 on: January 09, 2014, 11:55:28 AM »

I'm sure some people here know the exact feeling of that. I wouldn't say at all that the music is "sub par" with others, but I'm definitely more insecure with others when I put on something Beach Boys (or really anything) that they're not familiar with or I'm not sure there even gonna like. Or if they're even gonna laugh at me or be confused or give me some kind of weird reaction like that. It's like you're listening closely than usual and trying to hear it in their ears. A lot of times it can makes you think negatively like "Oh that main melody isn't that great, they're not gonna like this" or something like that.

That is why I too prefer to listen to the BBs alone. Then again I listen to all music I love the most alone anyways. I find it's pretty rare to find people with really close musical tastes to me, but that's because I listen to anything and I don't judge so harshly. It's almost like people who have no clue about anything to do with music (or films or whatever) are the people to most bitch about it or criticize it.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: January 09, 2014, 12:04:53 PM »

Most of the songs on 85 and KTSA are fantastic

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #619 on: January 09, 2014, 12:05:56 PM »

The Beach Boys are pretty corny -- maybe admitting that is my unpopular opinion? -- so I can totally understand why most people my age (early-to-mid-20s) don't really like them, whether or not they're aware of their more "artistic" material like Pet Sounds or Smile, and whether or not their favourite band is influenced by this group and makes mention of this. (To say nothing of even more obscure albums like Friends, Surf's Up, Wild Honey and so on.) At the same time though, I obviously like them a lot and can at times appreciate, tolerate, or even share in that corniness. Smiley Smile and Love You are two of my favourite albums, ones which I will sometimes think are better than their aforementioned artistic high watermarks. (Another unpopular opinion, surely...) Some people can't, which is fine too. I've tried to get people into them before and more often than not it hasn't worked out so I've pretty much stopped trying. I like them and if I can get people into a couple of their lesser-known songs, as I've have with "Celebrate The News", great! I don't really mind though if this never happens. I mean, really, as much as I like songs about birds flying around windows with lovely but rather fey arrangements... I'm not really surprised many people think otherwise!
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #620 on: January 09, 2014, 12:18:02 PM »

They can be very corny, I agree, which is maybe the difficulty they've always had finding success after Smile. Even when they tried to be a "serious" group, they can be corny at times still. CATP and Holland are probably the most "hip" and least corny albums I guess.

Still, I'm looking forward to show the next person I meet Smiley Smile and see what they're reaction is to that. I never listened to that with anyone else before. That one at least is pretty scary and disturbing at times, and it outweighs the corniness.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #621 on: January 09, 2014, 07:33:54 PM »

I don't like most of the Smiley Smile and Wild Honey albums. 1970s Beach Boys > late 1960s.

I also only really like Heroes and Villains, Cabin Essence, Wonderful, Surf's Up and Good Vibrations from Smile. A lot of Smile seems like repetitive filler.

I think Carl Wilson was a really underrated song writer for The Beach Boys. Long Promised Road, Feel Flows, The Trader and Leaving This Town are all standout tracks.

I also love everything Ricky and Blondie wrote for The Beach Boys. Hold On Dear Brother is a fantastic song.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #622 on: January 09, 2014, 07:53:21 PM »

Here's an apparent big one:

I never understood all the hate for Bruce Johnston around here.
People seem to criticize a lot of his music and I seem to notice there's a lot of people who doesn't like him.

People around here also make Bruce the most ridiculed member.

Anyway, why? Why the lack of love for Bruce?
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #623 on: January 09, 2014, 09:44:13 PM »

Here's an apparent big one:

I never understood all the hate for Bruce Johnston around here.
People seem to criticize a lot of his music and I seem to notice there's a lot of people who doesn't like him.

People around here also make Bruce the most ridiculed member.

Anyway, why? Why the lack of love for Bruce?

for me, if Bruce wasn't a member of a rock group and was a solo artist on his own his stuff isn't that bad.  people like Barry Manilow and David Cassidy whom he's worked with seem to fit more in his category.  The BB are a rock group and there's nothing really "rock" about Bruce you know what I mean? I mean this was the same guy that suggested that "Here Comes the Night" should be a disco song and by 1979 disco was dying out thanks to angry rock fans  Undecided.  Maybe if they had done that two years earlier with the rise of Saturday Night Fever they would've gotten away with it, who knows?  Afro

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #624 on: January 09, 2014, 10:12:35 PM »

I think the Beach Boys over-used the falsetto sound in their music as they moved the early to mid 60's sound.  A little less of it would have done them some good.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 65 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx