gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:15:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 65 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unpopular Beach Boys opinions  (Read 348063 times)
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #450 on: July 13, 2013, 01:10:30 PM »

Love Surrounds Me was long, slow and boring.
I agree with you, only correction it is still long, slow & boring.

Nonsense. Dennis dared to be different. The rest of the group were (terminally) stuck in the past. That's the reality.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: July 13, 2013, 03:08:23 PM »

Nonsense. Dennis dared to be different. The rest of the group were (terminally) stuck in the past. That's the reality.

At least Brian became by the early 70's when he regressed into his oldies music. He didn't approve of the guitar driven hippie period and since his efforts were recieved lukewarmly after PS he slowly gave up and decided what the audience wanted was not something he was prepared to make.

Carl and Dennis tried to stay contemporary and Mike& Al could be contemporary when directed so. Brian however was the real oldies guy. Bruce was a joke. the least hippest dude to live on the west coast.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #452 on: July 13, 2013, 03:12:38 PM »

At least Brian became by the early 70's when he regressed into his oldies music. He didn't approve of the guitar driven hippie period and since his efforts were recieved lukewarmly after PS he slowly gave up and decided what the audience wanted was not something he was prepared to make.

Carl and Dennis tried to stay contemporary and Mike& Al could be contemporary when directed so. Brian however was the real oldies guy. Bruce was a joke. the least hippest dude to live on the west coast.

Where and when did Brian state he didn't approve of the guitar driven hippie period? Would like to read the quote(s). (I ask, because he picked several songs from this period for his 'Brian Wilson presents Beach Boys Classics' album - and in fact he also chose two songs specifically from this period when discussing songs which almost made the cut on the album's inner sleeves! Is this perhaps a case of you personally imagining Brian disapproved of this period and so you're claiming it as fact...?).
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 03:17:44 PM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: July 13, 2013, 06:05:47 PM »

Bruce has always been the hippest Beach Boy.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: July 13, 2013, 06:14:40 PM »

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: July 14, 2013, 09:37:08 AM »

I've only expressed my own unpopular opinion. Not gonna change it in further future. But I respect your devotion to Dennis's music.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #456 on: July 14, 2013, 10:40:58 AM »

The last thing you see before you get pistol-whipped
dwtherealbb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: July 14, 2013, 07:10:36 PM »

Dennis was what is called a "user" or "hanger-on"
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #458 on: July 15, 2013, 01:23:07 AM »

Which begs the question, why isn't your name dwtheuserorhangeron?
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: July 15, 2013, 01:25:27 AM »

don't feed him.

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #460 on: July 15, 2013, 01:29:16 AM »

don't feed him.

Yes, you're probably right. I just felt I needed to point out the incongruity of his remark.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: July 15, 2013, 06:00:04 AM »

Which begs the question, why isn't your name dwtheuserorhangeron?

Haha, a valid point.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: August 07, 2013, 08:09:52 PM »

I'm really digging the Beach Boys '85 album lately.  Particularly the Carl numbers.  "It's Gettin' Late," "Maybe I Don't Know," and "Where I Belong" are real gems.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: August 08, 2013, 09:42:09 AM »

I'm really digging the Beach Boys '85 album lately.  Particularly the Carl numbers.  "It's Gettin' Late," "Maybe I Don't Know," and "Where I Belong" are real gems.
Agreed, Carl stole the show on that album.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: August 08, 2013, 11:34:26 AM »

Cabinessence and Do You Like Worms are my least favorite tracks on Smile.

I like the verses on Cabinessence, they're mellow and kind of spooky, but then the chorus jumps in, very big and kind of ruins the atmosphere. The chorus isn't that impressive to me, either.

I like the drum intro to DYLW a lot, but it kind of falls of for me after that, although I do like the phrasing of "rock, rock, roll, Plymouth rock, roll over."
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: August 13, 2013, 09:40:46 AM »

I wrote somewhere I do not like Evie Sands's version of Wouldn't It Be Nice (To Live Again). I have since then changed my mind, think it is an awesome song! Listened to it a lot the past days.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 09:42:35 AM by Swedish Frog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: August 13, 2013, 09:46:23 AM »

I like the verses on Cabinessence, they're mellow and kind of spooky, but then the chorus jumps in, very big and kind of ruins the atmosphere. The chorus isn't that impressive to me, either.

I like the drum intro to DYLW a lot, but it kind of falls of for me after that, although I do like the phrasing of "rock, rock, roll, Plymouth rock, roll over."

+1
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: August 13, 2013, 10:05:16 AM »

My unpopular BB opinion...'Time to Get Alone' is way overrated. Its an ok song, but not one that lives up to the standards set by Brian before 1967.

Maybe if it was recorded by Redwood, it could have made sense. But with a BB production, nope.

"Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray...it might come true
Baby then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn't do..."
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: August 13, 2013, 10:15:12 AM »

My unpopular BB opinion...'Time to Get Alone' is way overrated. Its an ok song, but not one that lives up to the standards set by Brian before 1967.

Maybe if it was recorded by Redwood, it could have made sense. But with a BB production, nope.
Maybe so, but there is nothing as pretty as "deep and wide" section. Just stunning!

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: August 13, 2013, 10:38:50 AM »

I agree that the chorus isn't nearly as beautiful as the verses. But the music does go very well with the lyrics. First there's the calm and quiet country side, and then this big, steaming iron horse comes rolling by. It's quite brilliant how Brian captured that in the music.
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: August 13, 2013, 12:58:26 PM »

Maybe so, but there is nothing as pretty as "deep and wide" section. Just stunning!

Mmm...since its an personal opinion, I gotta admit it doesnt do it for me: Dont like the break, nor the echo, nor how the voices harmonize there. But I do like how Carl comes after and saves the melody.

But again, its not a song as big as most people in this board put it. That's why its an unpopular point of view  Grin

"Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray...it might come true
Baby then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn't do..."
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: August 13, 2013, 01:04:06 PM »

I love Cabinessence for this particular part alone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dje0M5b_9M

Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: August 13, 2013, 02:27:40 PM »

I too think the bridge of Time To Get Alone is pretty lame compared to the rest of the song... I feel the same way about the bridge of I'll Bet He's Nice. Not every song needs a bridge Brian!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: August 13, 2013, 02:49:01 PM »

Funny you would post that.... I like "Time To Get Alone" a lot, but I could see it as being overrated. However, I NEVER liked the "deep and wide" part. I always found it out of place and annoying. It never made any sense to me how that part "fit" the rest of the song.
Gohi
« Reply #474 on: August 13, 2013, 03:00:27 PM »

I too think the bridge of Time To Get Alone is pretty lame compared to the rest of the song... I feel the same way about the bridge of I'll Bet He's Nice. Not every song needs a bridge Brian!
Those bridges are brill.  Shocked
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 65 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx