gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:57:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 65 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unpopular Beach Boys opinions  (Read 348153 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: June 22, 2013, 07:13:34 PM »

This is a fun thread to read...here's my likely unpopular opinions (the first is certain to be unpopular)...

-Caroline, No is a very weak track. I skip it every time. Also, the instrumentals on PS are utter crap of an almost embarrassing level.

Lord save us.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #226 on: June 22, 2013, 07:56:12 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:02:02 PM by zatch » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 22, 2013, 08:09:21 PM »

Mike is worlds more talented than Bruce in many ways. Look at the number of songs Mike has his name attached to and the nature of those songs and then look at how many Bruce has his attached to and the nature of those songs. I'm not sayin' Bruce is a bad songwriter and I realize many of Mike's co-write credits are for lyrics (although lyrics take a lot of time and skill, too, and I hate when people try to discredit someone on the grounds of "Doesn't he just write lyrics?"), but many are music credits to one extent or another.

Obviously Bruce's got the pianer chops and had (has?) a pretty nice voice way back when, although I might argue that Mike's is pretty distinct and he's great at what he does, too. Bruce did a lot more in the way of production than Mike ever did, too. Y'know. Y'know. In conclusion, both guys have a lot of skillz and worth in their own way.

Believe me, I'd know.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 08:21:52 PM by Brian Wilson » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jason
« Reply #228 on: June 22, 2013, 08:14:28 PM »

At least we can rest assured that no one from BRI will issue a cease and desist against you, since Brian (thankfully) never talks like that.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 22, 2013, 08:20:36 PM »

cake

Edit: Wait, I just realized you insulted me. You NITWIT.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 08:22:41 PM by Brian Wilson » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jason
« Reply #230 on: June 22, 2013, 08:32:02 PM »

NITWIT? No, no! DRAGONFLY! *hopes people get the reference*
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 22, 2013, 09:02:41 PM »

I hate every Beach Boys album after Love You. I don't care if there are actually a handful of decent songs on them, I still think they by and large suck the big one.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
zachrwolfe
« Reply #232 on: June 22, 2013, 11:05:30 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:01:58 PM by zatch » Logged
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 22, 2013, 11:12:08 PM »

hi mike where's yer pal bruce?  Wink

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
zachrwolfe
« Reply #234 on: June 22, 2013, 11:20:44 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:01:55 PM by zatch » Logged
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 23, 2013, 12:40:43 AM »

If all of BW's post-'91 solo albums actually sounded the same, I would give some credence to your opinion. Given that they don't, I can only infer that you haven't heard them -- and accordingly dismiss your post as the flagrant nonsense it is.

Firstly my post stated that everything after Imagination (98) sounds the same, so learn to read correctly.

Secondly everything from the Wondermints era does sound the same. No twists or turns. The only suprise now is when Brian actually cuts a decent vocal.

Thirdly anyone who drops a doozy such as "I would trade the entire Beach Boys discography for Brian's 4 solo albums", really has no place being dismissive of others opinions.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 12:51:07 AM by Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #236 on: June 23, 2013, 02:40:47 AM »

Flying Tart?
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 23, 2013, 04:45:00 AM »

-Carl Wilson, while a phenomenal singer, producer, arranger, band leader, was a mediocre at best songwriter.

I think this is an important point.  Even Carl's best songs (from Surf's Up and Holland, mainly) are some of the most overrated BB songs in fan circles and do not compare well with the lesser songs of Dennis, let alone Brian.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #238 on: June 23, 2013, 05:12:00 AM »

-Carl Wilson, while a phenomenal singer, producer, arranger, band leader, was a mediocre at best songwriter.

I think this is an important point.  Even Carl's best songs (from Surf's Up and Holland, mainly) are some of the most overrated BB songs in fan circles and do not compare well with the lesser songs of Dennis, let alone Brian.

He can hardly be called a phenomenal  arranger either. Or producer.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 23, 2013, 06:02:48 AM »

To me, there are three Carl Wilson songs that are not overrated in any way: Feel Flows, Long Promised Road, and The Trader. Truly phenomenal stuff, hands down. Other than that, he was a competent songwriter at best with occasional glimpses of something a little more than that (Angel Come Home, Heaven, Where I Belong, Like a Brother). By the late 70s his taste in music had become very stale it seems.

As far as production goes, I'd say the most remarkable things he did were 1.) holding together the Sunflower and Holland albums (making each a cohesive listening experience despite the "many cooks" involved), and 2.) the trademark overall sound and arrangement of Feel Flows. Also, I Can Hear Music, while not particularly inventive, does sound absolutely fantastic.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: June 23, 2013, 06:13:53 AM »

Hey, "I Can hear Music" sounds great. The guy has some good productions to his name. Didn't Carl have a lot to do with the production on Surf's Up, albeit not being sole producer?

Carl wrote about 3-4 songs that are worth more than some bands entire discographies. Even if the guy wasn't churning out album after album of great material like Brian, doesn't that still count/matter?

You write "The Trader", produce "I Can Hear Music" and have dozens upon dozens of absolutely fantastic vocals to your name, you're good in my book. I'm not gonna see a need to slight your work in comparison to two of your peers, one of whom was one of the greatest and most prolific pop songwriters ever (*ahem*), yer doin' fine, Jim.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 06:22:24 AM by Brian Wilson » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 23, 2013, 06:26:51 AM »

I think "Where I Belong" falls into "great" status - the melody, lyrics, Carl's vocal, even the production. And, in my opinion, "Livin' With A Heartache" is a very good, almost great song. With the possible exception of "Goin' On", it might be the best song on Keepin' The Summer Alive.   
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 23, 2013, 07:15:38 AM »

Please try to understand this before one of us dies

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 23, 2013, 07:38:43 AM »

Hey, "I Can hear Music" sounds great. The guy has some good productions to his name. Didn't Carl have a lot to do with the production on Surf's Up, albeit not being sole producer?

Carl wrote about 3-4 songs that are worth more than some bands entire discographies. Even if the guy wasn't churning out album after album of great material like Brian, doesn't that still count/matter?

You write "The Trader", produce "I Can Hear Music" and have dozens upon dozens of absolutely fantastic vocals to your name, you're good in my book. I'm not gonna see a need to slight your work in comparison to two of your peers, one of whom was one of the greatest and most prolific pop songwriters ever (*ahem*), yer doin' fine, Jim.

Since this thread is for unpopular opinions, I might as well put this one out there:  Trader may be the weakest track on Holland - well, next to Beaks of Eagles.  Never really liked it - the overly affected vocal, the lyrics.  Music is solid though.

Carl's production skills were obviously first rate although he only had a brief song writing spurt of any significance.  Feel Flows was definitley a "spurt."  In more ways than one!
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #244 on: June 23, 2013, 07:40:57 AM »

I think "Where I Belong" falls into "great" status - the melody, lyrics, Carl's vocal, even the production. And, in my opinion, "Livin' With A Heartache" is a very good, almost great song. With the possible exception of "Goin' On", it might be the best song on Keepin' The Summer Alive.  

Agree with all points there, although I'd say both of Carl's KTSA songs trump Goin' On.

And there aint nothing over-rated about Long Promised Road, Feel Flows or Trader. All three of those are amazing songs, really brilliantly crafted works.

Whilst highlighting Carl's numerous merits let's also remember his substantial contribution in keeping their live shows on a level few other bands could ever hope to match, at least until Endless Summer derailed his forward-thinking ambitions.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 07:42:34 AM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 23, 2013, 08:01:39 AM »

Since this thread is for unpopular opinions, I might as well put this one out there:  Trader may be the weakest track on Holland - well, next to Beaks of Eagles.  Never really liked it - the overly affected vocal, the lyrics.  Music is solid though.

Carl's production skills were obviously first rate although he only had a brief song writing spurt of any significance.  Feel Flows was definitley a "spurt."  In more ways than one!
I love the everything about song, especially the lyric. A song about Manifest Destiny, or more pre-Manifest Destiny and the toll it took on Native Americans. Second part is more about coming to terms with all happened since and moving forward in a more natural way. I found the song very poetic. Probably Rieley's best work with The Beach Boys.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #246 on: June 23, 2013, 08:23:28 AM »

I find Carl's production sound rather bland.

I've never really found "I Can Hear Music" all that exciting

Regarding his songs, I love Long Promised Road and The Trader, er....that's about it isn't it?

And only a lunatic would say Carl didn't have a beautiful, and powerful voice (with a few exceptions)
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #247 on: June 23, 2013, 08:58:59 AM »

I find Carl's production sound rather bland.

I've never really found "I Can Hear Music" all that exciting

Regarding his songs, I love Long Promised Road and The Trader, er....that's about it isn't it?

And only a lunatic would say Carl didn't have a beautiful, and powerful voice (with a few exceptions)

Er... Feel Flows? (which many (me included) consider his absolute crowning glory, and has many celeb fans - Jarvis Cocker, Super Furry Animals, Cameron Crowe, etc.)
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #248 on: June 23, 2013, 09:00:34 AM »

Also, didn't Carl co-write I Went To Sleep and Good Timin'? Why the instant assumption that Brian provided all the good stuff with these two gems?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 23, 2013, 09:03:31 AM »

Yes to the second. I'm not aware of him helping with the first. That being said, he did cowrite Our Sweet Love with BW, which is a sorely unappreciated track.

Edit: I guess Carl did cowrite IWTS. Blow me down !
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 09:06:31 AM by Wirestone » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 65 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx