gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:50:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 65 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unpopular Beach Boys opinions  (Read 348111 times)
Jason
« Reply #150 on: June 20, 2013, 01:57:52 PM »

Hey, if it wasn't for that trademark Michael Love sound, the Beach Boys never would have made it out of Labor Day weekend in 1961. See, Murry saw the talent in Michael right away. Smiley
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 20, 2013, 02:36:47 PM »

I think Brian himself said it best.

"Mike Love is the Beach Boys."

Didn't Brian say that about Carl as well? It may have been something like The Beach Boys died when Carl died or something to that extent.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 02:38:19 PM by lee » Logged
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 20, 2013, 03:06:14 PM »

Mike Love is a reptilian shape shifter from another planet who works for the illuminate and he works for the freemasons,, Grin
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 20, 2013, 05:04:20 PM »

The Beach Boys regrouped, had a hit new album, hauled their 70 year old asses around every venue big and small for 5 months and 74 gigs at a reasonable price.
The Rolling Stones invited Wyman for 2 songs only, are playing limited high priced concerts on the back of their greatest hits catalogue.

Maybe Mike Love was right. They are Chickensh!t compared to the Beach Boys? Razz
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 20, 2013, 05:09:35 PM »

Mike Love is a reptilian shape shifter from another planet who works for the illuminate and he works for the freemasons,, Grin

Dude, this is opinions, not facts...

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 20, 2013, 05:18:57 PM »

The Beach Boys regrouped, had a hit new album, hauled their 70 year old asses around every venue big and small for 5 months and 74 gigs at a reasonable price.
The Rolling Stones invited Wyman for 2 songs only, are playing limited high priced concerts on the back of their greatest hits catalogue.

Maybe Mike Love was right. They are Chickensh!t compared to the Beach Boys? Razz

Yes. The Beach Boys' 50th trumps what the Stones have been up to for theirs.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #156 on: June 20, 2013, 06:08:20 PM »

Hey, if it wasn't for that trademark Michael Love sound, the Beach Boys never would have made it out of Labor Day weekend in 1961. See, Murry saw the talent in Michael right away. Smiley
According to myKe luHv, that is. 3D 3D 3D 3D 3D 3D 3D 3D 3D 3D 3D
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 20, 2013, 07:47:15 PM »

Dude, this is opinions, not facts...
opps nevermind  Grin
Jarethon
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 20, 2013, 09:21:27 PM »

Wowie zowie, this is too much fun to resist!

I like Student Demonstration Time.

I pretty much love all of M.I.U. (except the title).

I enjoy Pet Sounds in stereo as much as mono (it almost sounds like a different album).

I actually really like Barbara Ann, but I think it has always sucked live. Especially as an encore.

I love Bruce and all the songs he has contributed.

Speaking of, I will never understand how anyone could dislike Tears in the Morning. It is one of my absolute favorites. The piano coda is gorgeous.

I will also never understand why A Day in the Life of a Tree is so loved. Yeah, the message is important, but the lyrics and metaphor are ridiculous. And in my opinion, to a greater extent than some have said about Don’t Go Near the Water (which I like). And Rieley’s vocal is absolutely horrible. 

Big Sur > Beaks of Eagles > California

I love the album version of Be True to Your School, but I might hate the single version.

I still find very little reason to listen to 15 Big Ones, but I think I am possibly beginning to see the appeal of Love You. I'm not holding my breath.

The last three songs of That’s Why God Made the Radio are good, but not great. I like From There to Back Again and Pacific Coast Highway is decent, but I think Summer’s Gone is totally lame. The lyrics are almost gleefully depressing and too self aware.

Calling these three songs a “suite” is borderline pretentious.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 09:23:53 PM by Jarethon » Logged
zachrwolfe
« Reply #159 on: June 20, 2013, 10:54:26 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:02:40 PM by zatch » Logged
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #160 on: June 21, 2013, 12:00:28 AM »

Controversial...

MIU is a fantastic Beach Boys album

Imagination is Brian's best solo album -- and probably the most accomplished Beach Boys album since Pet Sounds

Surfin' Safari is a fantastic record

76-83 is my favorite era of the band!!!

Denny had the best voice -- in a non-harmonized, good ol' fashioned, out-front rock voice.  It was the coolest.  The other voices often contributed to them being seen as dorky and old fashioned.  

Far less controversial...

Brian Wilson hasn't been himself since the early 80s. He's been either too "correctly" medicated (or lobotomized!) or he's just older.  I can't tell.  Cheesy

The Beach Boys, as an artistic entity are Brian Wilson and Mike Love.  Wilson/Love.  That's it.  All one needs to have a Beach Boy record is those two dinosaurs to shut the fck up and WORK!!!

Without Denny, they ceased to be a "band."  Still artists, yes but not really a "band," man.  Ya know?

And lastly...

After Brian checked out in 1967, the keys should have been handed to Dennis Wilson, the rightful heir.  Egos would not allow it... and Denny probably didn't command the role -- but he's the only one who possessed anything original or close to an artist vision/roadmap for the band.

All the others were vital contributors... but that's all.  Denny could have led them to something really cool.  He had the feel, the head-turning voice and the charisma to be out front in some fashion.  His solo albums are a sad, drunk and weathered -- six pack a day -- reminder of just how fcking brilliant he was.

Well, Bean Bag, I sure agree with you re Dennis, however I imagine the great man himself might have taken issue with your assertion that MIU is a fantastic album (''That album is an embarrassment to my life... It should self-destruct'').
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #161 on: June 21, 2013, 12:04:49 AM »

They messed up the fade to All This Is That.

The way Carl's voice is to the fore and then it suddenly and jarring drops back is a very poor piece of production.

If it had gradually faded into the background perhaps it wouldn't be as bad; personally however I think it should've remained prominent throughout the fade, with the other voices either in the background or alongside it.

It's a beautiful song, however I just cannot listen to it without this bugging me. Anyone else ever thought this?
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 21, 2013, 01:47:44 AM »

Unpopular, you say?

Starting with the obvious ones:  I (really) don't like Smiley Smile or Love You and Friends bores me.  I probably wouldn't mind Friends if it was just a one off excursion into that style but three lo-fi, under-produced records in a row is just too much for me to take.  The fans voted with their wallets and ran away in droves while the band trudged through way too long a series of albums...I don't know...hoping the fans would come around???  It didn't happen and the success of "Darlin'" in that period showed what the fans wanted: Fully fleshed out POP songs with high end production.  The group knew how good the track was and took it away from Redwood, against Brian's wishes...and being the Beach Boys, continued in the opposite direction after it hot the charts.  Finally, Wild Honey is by far the best of their "barely produced" period but only because the songs are actually Pop songs (or R&B songs put through the Pop filter).  The production kills the album...again.

Speaking of production, I think Imagination is WAY closer to Pet Sounds than anything Brian did in the period between those records.  It and BW88 are night and day.  They've both got some great songs on it but BW88 is probably the most dated sounding album in the band's entire catalog.  And that was 1988 (not 1983)!  Those Linn drums were ALREADY dated by then.  Comparatively, Imagination gets knocked for it's "Adult Contemporary" sound.  I must ask if the critics in that camp think "Let's Go Away For A While" is a Rock song?  Clarinets, stacked, on key vocals (albeit produced within an inch of their lives but I don't care).  Classic melodies from the prime of Brian's life like "Sherry She Needs Me", "Let Him Run Wild", "My Solution".  Yeah.  It may have lacked the inventiveness of "Rio Grande" but it didn't have any really dumb lyrics either.  The best stuff on BW88 had more to do with the collaborators than Brian.

Blondie and Ricky's tenure in the group was entirely too short. No surprise that their exit coincided with Mike's camp assuming control as it loaded everyone up on the American Graffiti/Endless Summer/nostalgia wave.  People can knock them for sounding out of place but that's why they were made members of the band.  "Here She Comes" was just as contemporary as "Marcella" (maybe more so, maybe too much ahead of it's time) and certainly WORLDS more commercial than "He Come Down" or "Make It Good"! 

20/20 is a GREAT (tho disjointed) album!  Better a hodgepodge of all good songs than ANOTHER album with a consistent theme of boring, under-produced, demos.

Jeffrey Foskett is the MAN!  With Brian and Sir Paul way past their primes, and Carl and Brad Delp no longer of this earth, Foskett may in fact have the best Pop voice on the planet.  OK.  Maybe his falsetto is a little shrill for you but outside of Brian's, most of them are.  This goes for Scott Totten, Matt Jardine, and most other really great falsetto singers.  (On either side of the greats, you have your really nasal Frankie Vallis and Adrian Bakers on one side, and your really breathy Barry Gibbs on the other.)  The bottom line is Jeff's mid-range voice in UNTOUCHABLE.  Check out his lead on "Surfin' USA" at the end of the Jeff Beck "Surf's Up" clip or his vocals on the 1984 DC encore.  THAT is why he belongs on stage with the greatest singing group of all time!

Dennis was a PALE shadow of his former greatness (which even at his peak could rival Bruce in terms of sheer schlockiness!) by the time of Endless Summer.  It's a shame but that's how it is to me (remember these are all opinions, and unpopular ones, at that).  Worse, his voice practically ruins his contributions to MIU and LA.  The only reason they stand out is that most of the other stuff is rehashed, boring, or both.  I really do wish Mike had gotten the boot at some point and been replaced by Dennis and I wish Dennis would have followed doctors' order and healed his GD voice!  Like David, Dennis went under-appreciated for too long but I feel the pendulum has swung just a bit too far in his favor lately.  Serious talent, seriously wasted by the end.

The band should have DEFINITELY broke up in 1977!  After that, the political scars always loomed over the music.  Everything from then to at least Keepin' The Summer Alive rarely gets a spin from me.  (I don't like the stuff that immediately preceded it either but at least they were still riding the success of Endless Summer and Brian's Back.)  They really needed to take time off, realize how good they could be, let the audience realize how important they were, and play the reunion trump card in 1980 or later.

The only thing wrong with "Kokomo" and "Barbara Ann" is they've been overplayed.  They were both huge hits for a reason.  And there's nothing wrong with the band's take on "California Dreaming". 

The worst thing BY FAR about Summer In Paradise is the production (and lack of Brian).  As above, there's NOTHING (really) wrong with the live version of "Summer In Paradise".  The lyrics are modern day Mike Love but like "Do It Again", they actually work in this case.

That's Why God Made The Radio is definitely one of the group's ten best and consistently good albums.

Joe Thomas should work with Brian ALL the time. ...At least when it comes to producing the vocals (tho I do agree that he needs to dial back the auto-tune a bit).

« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 02:23:43 AM by Phoenix » Logged
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #163 on: June 21, 2013, 03:49:20 AM »

Pheonix, you and I are night and day.

Shine on you crazy, Freinds hating, Joe Thomas loving diamond!
MBE
« Reply #164 on: June 21, 2013, 06:00:34 AM »

I won't even see the Stones and I saw the Beach Boys twice. Why? Well I haven't liked how they present themselves live since 1981. Basically it is venue and price
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 21, 2013, 06:26:11 AM »

After Brian checked out in 1967, the keys should have been handed to Dennis Wilson, the rightful heir.  Egos would not allow it... and Denny probably didn't command the role -- but he's the only one who possessed anything original or close to an artist vision/roadmap for the band.

All the others were vital contributors... but that's all.  Denny could have led them to something really cool.  He had the feel, the head-turning voice and the charisma to be out front in some fashion.  His solo albums are a sad, drunk and weathered -- six pack a day -- reminder of just how fcking brilliant he was.

Totally agree with this.  If Dennis could have been a more reliable, less crazy  alcholol and drug fueled wild man (of course that's one of the reasons we love him), he could have definitely taken over the reins from Brian rather than Carl.  I think in the 1968-70 period there was a little leadership tug of war going on between Carl and Dennis, an undercurrent that never erupted into a fight, but was affecting the group dynamic. Well it did eventually erupt over the sequencing of Surf's Up . . . Dennis was writing and producing his own stuff separate from Carl on 20/20 and Sunflower and his last minute additions to Add Some Music, which was rejected by Warner Brothers, "saved" the album.  If only Slip on Through had been a hit single, things may have developed very differently from how they did.
B-Rex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 21, 2013, 06:45:56 AM »

Bruce wrote only two good songs-Dierdre and She believes in Love Again

Guess I'm Dumb beats every song on Today!

Al should have had nearly half of Mike's leads

He Come Down is beyond horrible.  It makes me claw my eyes out.  The rest of this list will be typed blindly.

Dennis' love songs are often sappy, lifeless mush, with some exceptions

Brian Wilson is a clunky album.  The versions that appear on IJWMFTT are vastly superior

Never Learn Not to Love is one of Dennis' finest moments, despite Chuck Manson

Daybreak Over the Ocean should have opened TWGMTR

Lyrics matter as much as the music--thus Love You is half a heaping pile of elephant dung...the other half is quite good

Aside from the toothpaste and soap line, Don't Go Near the water is excellent

Time to Get Alone just begs for the Hawthorne outro

Pet Sounds in stereo is leaps and bounds above mono

Almost every BB tune is superior in stereo (real stereo)

Al is a solid songwriter who should have more represetation on MiC

Imagination is Brian's best solo album

Here Comes the Night disco single is fantastic.  Why wasn't this on LA?

LA is a snooze fest

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #167 on: June 21, 2013, 07:04:23 AM »

What a great thread this is.

What it shows is, without all the rows and snide remarks that usually get chucked about, what a rich and varied catalogue this band has if they can elicit such polar opinions about their work.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 21, 2013, 07:15:41 AM »

Wowie zowie, this is too much fun to resist!

I like Student Demonstration Time.

I pretty much love all of M.I.U. (except the title).

I enjoy Pet Sounds in stereo as much as mono (it almost sounds like a different album).

I actually really like Barbara Ann, but I think it has always sucked live. Especially as an encore.

I love Bruce and all the songs he has contributed.

Speaking of, I will never understand how anyone could dislike Tears in the Morning. It is one of my absolute favorites. The piano coda is gorgeous.

I will also never understand why A Day in the Life of a Tree is so loved. Yeah, the message is important, but the lyrics and metaphor are ridiculous. And in my opinion, to a greater extent than some have said about Don’t Go Near the Water (which I like). And Rieley’s vocal is absolutely horrible. 

Big Sur > Beaks of Eagles > California

I love the album version of Be True to Your School, but I might hate the single version.

I still find very little reason to listen to 15 Big Ones, but I think I am possibly beginning to see the appeal of Love You. I'm not holding my breath.

The last three songs of That’s Why God Made the Radio are good, but not great. I like From There to Back Again and Pacific Coast Highway is decent, but I think Summer’s Gone is totally lame. The lyrics are almost gleefully depressing and too self aware.

Calling these three songs a “suite” is borderline pretentious.

you sir, have a load of unpopular opinions!  Grin
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 21, 2013, 07:16:42 AM »

They messed up the fade to All This Is That.

The way Carl's voice is to the fore and then it suddenly and jarring drops back is a very poor piece of production.

If it had gradually faded into the background perhaps it wouldn't be as bad; personally however I think it should've remained prominent throughout the fade, with the other voices either in the background or alongside it.

It's a beautiful song, however I just cannot listen to it without this bugging me. Anyone else ever thought this?

live at Nassau 1974 is far, far better in this sense!
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 21, 2013, 07:39:24 AM »

The best thing about The Beach Boys '85 is the production.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #171 on: June 21, 2013, 09:50:36 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:02:32 PM by zatch » Logged
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 21, 2013, 11:06:04 AM »

Pheonix, you and I are night and day.

Shine on you crazy, Freinds hating, Joe Thomas loving diamond!

Right backacha, man.  Grin  Afro  LOL

It takes all kinds. Smiley
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 11:15:28 AM by Phoenix » Logged
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 21, 2013, 11:14:51 AM »

Bruce wrote only two good songs-Dierdre and She believes in Love Again

Guess I'm Dumb beats every song on Today!

Al should have had nearly half of Mike's leads

He Come Down is beyond horrible.  It makes me claw my eyes out.  The rest of this list will be typed blindly. (Well I wouldn't go THAT far.)  Smiley

Dennis' love songs are often sappy, lifeless mush, with some exceptions

Brian Wilson is a clunky album.  The versions that appear on IJWMFTT are vastly superior

Never Learn Not to Love is one of Dennis' finest moments, despite Chuck Manson

Daybreak Over the Ocean should have opened TWGMTR

Lyrics matter as much as the music--thus Love You is half a heaping pile of elephant dung...the other half is quite good

Aside from the toothpaste and soap line, Don't Go Near the water is excellent  ...Or that far, either. Smiley

Time to Get Alone just begs for the Hawthorne outro

Pet Sounds in stereo is leaps and bounds above mono

Almost every BB tune is superior in stereo (real stereo)

Al is a solid songwriter who should have more represetation on MiC

Imagination is Brian's best solo album

Here Comes the Night disco single is fantastic.  Why wasn't this on LA?  ...Again, a bit extreme stance in my opinion.

LA is a snooze fest

I'm with you on almost all of those. 

Oh, and tho I forgot to mention it in my post, I don't like Love You either.  And believe me, I've TRIED....MANY times.
1-1-wonderful
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 21, 2013, 11:32:45 AM »

I don't get why people who didn't know Dennis Wilson insist on calling him Denny.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 65 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx