gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680874 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 02:25:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MIC Price Discussion Thread.  (Read 47319 times)
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: August 29, 2013, 09:30:53 AM »

LOL  Yeah, those CD inserts for the GV box were questionable!

I hear you about the quality of the physical product, once in your hands, being much nicer -- and not confuse-able with the Sounds of Summer CD.  But, I think MiC is clearly "on brand" (a little marketing lingo) with the SoS release.  Orange.  Simple.  Beachy.  It wasn't an accident, or artistic choice.  It's marketing, branding 101.  And since this set isn't really being sold in stores (?!?!?!) and almost exclusively online, the distinction between the two, isn't really all that distinct.

By the way... not being in stores, like Best Buy... is very strange.  I'm shocked.  Shocked!  Especially after being lectured by many that this set is not just for us... but rather, John Q. Pubic.

I mean Public.

I got my SMiLE Sessions box at Best Buy.  Strange, huh?  I don't know what to think.  Was this grossly over-priced and largely redundant box for the fleecing of the hardcore fans?  Well, yes... but why the camouflage of a greatest hits "career retrospective?"  Why not capitol-ize on the success and interest of the SMiLE box, and go artsy-fartsy?  Resurrect the Beach Boys as the overlooked artistic institution that they are.  Que es un dealios? (what is the deal?)

In the end, who cares.  I just find the whole thing a strange, wasted opportunity.  More the byproduct of a mechanical marketing team running on auto-pilot, rather than a brilliant, dedicated public relations and image revival effort.

Marcella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 29, 2013, 09:41:02 AM »

By the way... not being in stores, like Best Buy... is very strange.  I'm shocked.  Shocked!  Especially after being lectured by many that this set is not just for us... but rather, John Q. Pubic.

It's a microcosm of the new economic reality. Most CDs/Books I want to purchase these days aren't carried by Best Buy/B& N/Target, I have to order the item online. Stores like Best Buy & Barnes and Noble exist only to have us "kick the tires" on some products (especially major purchases like appliances) and maybe get an idea of something we wanted that we didn't know we wanted....then when we find it we order the item for a much cheaper price online and wait for it to arrive from our favorite online retailer who doesn't have to worry about overhead costs like retail space rental, customer service employees, etc.
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 29, 2013, 09:48:23 AM »

Interesting points, Mr Bag. I initially thought I too might be cheesed off at having to wade through all the tracks I know to get to the unreleased stuff. This was never going to annoy me to the point where I didn't shell for the set, mind, but it was something I thought might bother me.

However, playing the whole shebang through earlier (as I did today) was a really involving and joyous musical experience, and I think that must have been at least in part one of the aims of the compilation process. Sure, there must have been some marketing wazz in all this (what new record release *doesn't* have that these days?), but it didn't annoy me.

I know there are already complaints about the track selection, mixes, and mastering — but speaking personally, none of that bothered me as I waded through the six discs. I thought it sounded terrific. I listened, I was impressed at the vast body of excellent music the Boys have created over the last 50 years, and I even found myself thrilled anew at hearing some of these (in some cases, all-TOO-familiar) tracks. For someone who has heard this stuff as much as I have over the last 18 years, that's an achievement on the part of this set.

I am, in short, a satisfied customer. And I've decided the whole thing is going on my iPod, whereas at first I was just going to cherry-pick the new tracks and remixes I don't already have. But now, I think MiC is a good enough listen through as a whole to justify being ripped in its entirety. Again, points to the set's compilers in that respect. To return to topic, the price I paid wasn't excessive in the end, IMHO, for a great set of music like this. I paid £74.40 (84.48 Euros and just over US$113) for six CDs of great-sounding stuff in a terrific-looking, nicely designed package. For all the griping and moaning that there was about the price of MiC when it was first announced, I can absolutely live with that.

I still hate Barbara furshenliggen Ann though. That track is getting replaced with the Live in London version with the horns, godammit.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 09:58:29 AM by Matt Bielewicz » Logged
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 29, 2013, 10:04:20 AM »

It's a microcosm of the new economic reality. Most CDs/Books I want to purchase these days aren't carried by Best Buy/B& N/Target, I have to order the item online. Stores like Best Buy & Barnes and Noble exist only to have us "kick the tires" on some products (especially major purchases like appliances) and maybe get an idea of something we wanted that we didn't know we wanted....then when we find it we order the item for a much cheaper price online and wait for it to arrive from our favorite online retailer who doesn't have to worry about overhead costs like retail space rental, customer service employees, etc.

I would agree, in general.  Different market, different times.  But the SMiLE box was in Best Buys.  That was a 5 CD, two lp, 130 dollar multi-deluxe set spanning just ONE unreleased album (albeit the most famous reindeer of all).

But MiC screams greatest hits... yet its MORE expensive than the SMiLE box and NOT in stores.

Huh

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 29, 2013, 10:08:24 AM »

I still hate Barbara furshenliggen Ann though. That track is getting replaced with the Live in London version with the horns, godammit.

LOL

It does look like they made an effort to keep the redundant stuff, fresh.  So I can understand it being a nice listening experience.  I'm stuck having to wait for a more earthly price, which may never come.   Cry

Marcella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 29, 2013, 10:08:36 AM »

Not trying to be flip Bean but the economic landscape HAS changed that much since November 2011 IMHO.

I give Best Buy only a few more years and it'll be gone. Barnes & Noble survives thanks to The Nook but for how long? It is a depressing reality. I may have been able to special order MiC from my favorite local used record/cd store but it would have been $150, no doubt. As it stands I spent $108 tax included but am stuck waiting for a package that has been sitting in a box 3,000 miles away from me for 7 days. I hate what has happened to this economy and I wonder if people outside America have this same issue. It sounds like most of the UK posters do have the same issues we have with finding MiC in stores so I suppose so.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 29, 2013, 10:14:35 AM »

Good point.  You could be right about the peril that awaits our brick n' retailers retailers... things may have gotten worse since 2011.  We did, after all, chose to stay the course of economic cancer in 2012.  Despite what we're told... there is no economic recovery.  It's just the opposite.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 10:18:52 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #232 on: August 29, 2013, 11:35:55 AM »

I haven't seen this set in ANY STORE. ANYWHERE. And its not because it's a stong seller. They aren't stocking it.

These are horrible times we live in.
Marcella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 29, 2013, 11:54:15 AM »

I remember when there was a long line to wait for one of 6-8 Best Buy lanes ready to take your cash. Now its in-and-out and they have 1 or 2 people ready to take your cash. The newer Best Buys only have 2 or 3 registers now, the older ones had numbered registers that went up to 10 and are largely sitting unused collecting dust. I used to love a trip to Best Buy where I would invariably buy something I didn't know I *needed*. Now I go there seeking something I desperately want and leave disappointed. Brick-and-mortars can't compete with their finite resources (manpower, space) against the amazon's of the world. Sad but true.

This board's old friend Phil A. Cohen enlightened me: Amazon is now concentrating their efforts on having warehouses close to every major metropolitan area with the goal of having next day shipping standard and same day delivery an upgrade. In exchange for this effort and great expense to build these warehouses they are no longer concerned with being the lowest price on items they sell. It's a good strategy, I never thought to look around for cheaper prices online because for years amazon.com WAS the cheaper price. The MiC buying experience, together with Phil (yes Phil) have opened my eyes and I will look around next time I buy something online.

All that said I love buying stuff used off of Amazon marketplace--great deals can be had there on everything except shipping costs, but they have mortgages to pay too I suppose.
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 29, 2013, 01:34:31 PM »

I am really hoping for a hefty price drop during the holidays. I want this box pretty bad.
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 30, 2013, 05:02:40 AM »

Sorry for the cross-posting, but this really shouldn't be missed by anyone who hasn't seen it already... MiC for under eight UK pounds! Yes, EIGHT. That's, like, less than twelve dollars fifty...

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,16169.msg396941.html#msg396941
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 30, 2013, 01:08:45 PM »

Price is down to $125.15 at Amazon USA.....still waiting.....

My local independent store, Zia Records, DOES have MIC on the shelf.
Full retail price.
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 30, 2013, 04:07:55 PM »

Down to US $117 at Amazon
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 30, 2013, 08:54:23 PM »

I remember when there was a long line to wait for one of 6-8 Best Buy lanes ready to take your cash. Now its in-and-out and they have 1 or 2 people ready to take your cash. The newer Best Buys only have 2 or 3 registers now, the older ones had numbered registers that went up to 10 and are largely sitting unused collecting dust. I used to love a trip to Best Buy where I would invariably buy something I didn't know I *needed*. Now I go there seeking something I desperately want and leave disappointed. Brick-and-mortars can't compete with their finite resources (manpower, space) against the amazon's of the world. Sad but true.

This board's old friend Phil A. Cohen enlightened me: Amazon is now concentrating their efforts on having warehouses close to every major metropolitan area with the goal of having next day shipping standard and same day delivery an upgrade. In exchange for this effort and great expense to build these warehouses they are no longer concerned with being the lowest price on items they sell. It's a good strategy, I never thought to look around for cheaper prices online because for years amazon.com WAS the cheaper price. The MiC buying experience, together with Phil (yes Phil) have opened my eyes and I will look around next time I buy something online.

All that said I love buying stuff used off of Amazon marketplace--great deals can be had there on everything except shipping costs, but they have mortgages to pay too I suppose.

I think Phil is mistaken. There is a giant Amazon warehouse about 15 miles from us. The orders we get come from other States sometimes 1000's of miles away. This leads me to believe that every distribution warehouse carries only particular goods. I havent spoken with anyone who is employeed there though so I could be wrong but if the local bldg has the whole product line why do our goods come from elsewhere?

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 30, 2013, 09:09:47 PM »

I think Phil is mistaken. There is a giant Amazon warehouse about 15 miles from us. The orders we get come from other States sometimes 1000's of miles away. This leads me to believe that every distribution warehouse carries only particular goods. I havent spoken with anyone who is employeed there though so I could be wrong but if the local bldg has the whole product line why do our goods come from elsewhere?

I don't think it would even be possible for one distribution center to carry the entirety of Amazon's products.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: September 01, 2013, 06:41:32 AM »

Down to US $117 at Amazon

Back up to $133 lol.

Ugh. You know the economy is bad here right Amazon?  Tongue
sparkydog1725
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 01, 2013, 07:21:24 AM »

At fye.com through 9/2/13: $127.98, minus 25% off $40 order with code "SLABORDAY", free standard shipping, = $95.98. Sales tax may be applicable.

http://www.fye.com/s/product/3177919/The-Beach-Boys-Made-in-California-Box#.UiNMxT-wW9I
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 01, 2013, 07:37:46 AM »

At fye.com through 9/2/13: $127.98, minus 25% off $40 order with code "SLABORDAY", free standard shipping, = $95.98. Sales tax may be applicable.

http://www.fye.com/s/product/3177919/The-Beach-Boys-Made-in-California-Box#.UiNMxT-wW9I

Beautiful! Just ordered mine.

Even in NY, only a little over $100 with sales tax
sparkydog1725
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 01, 2013, 08:07:12 AM »

I couldn't resist either, Wrightfan. I know it'll be cheaper eventually but after listening on Spotify I had to get it.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 01, 2013, 08:09:12 AM »

I couldn't resist either, Wrightfan. I know it'll be cheaper eventually but after listening on Spotify I had to get it.

Oh no doubt.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 03, 2013, 12:16:58 AM »

SCORE!!!

Greetings from Amazon.co.uk.

You saved £0.01 with Amazon.co.uk's Pre-order Price Guarantee!

The price of the item(s) decreased after you ordered them, and we gave you our lowest price.

The following title(s) decreased in price:

Made In California
                          Price on order date: £66.11
                    Price charged at dispatch: £66.10
Lowest price up to and including release date: £66.10
                                      Quantity: 1
                                Total Savings: £0.01         

£0.01 is your total savings under our Pre-order Price Guarantee

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 03, 2013, 12:22:51 AM »

Phil Cohen mistaken? What whacky weed are you smokin Bro?  Cool Guy

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 03, 2013, 05:33:42 AM »

SCORE!!!

The price of the item(s) decreased after you ordered them, and we gave you our lowest price.

Made In California

LOL

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 03, 2013, 06:23:28 AM »

SCORE!!!

Made In California

You should buy another copy of the box with your savings, to celebrate!

“We live in divisive times.”
sparkydog1725
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 04, 2013, 03:42:13 PM »

Oh no doubt.

And I'm glad I went for it - listening now. Fast shipping for a holiday weekend. Yay.  Transcendental Meditation
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx