gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681508 Posts in 27639 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 09, 2024, 04:22:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 [79] 80 81 82 83 84 ... 112 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MiC up for order on Amazon, August release  (Read 445376 times)
Daniel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1950 on: July 16, 2013, 04:31:53 PM »

Some initial thoughts....
Holy smokes. SO much cool stuff.

This set is a massive treasure trove of unreleased stuff.
Alternate Meant for You is almost 2 mins long with a verse with lyrics about a pony (not kidding).
Where Is She is a Friends-style waltz with a Lucy in the Sky vibe w/ Brian's 68 voice. VERY cool song.
California Feelin' on Disc 4 (not the demo) is the link between old Brian and 70s. The arrangement is fantastic. It's so nice to hear this stuff in pristine shape.

Brilliant news  Smiley
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: July 16, 2013, 04:36:48 PM »

Alternate Meant for You is almost 2 mins long with a verse with lyrics about a pony (not kidding).
Where Is She is a Friends-style waltz with a Lucy in the Sky vibe w/ Brian's 68 voice. VERY cool song.
California Feelin' on Disc 4 (not the demo) is the link between old Brian and 70s. The arrangement is fantastic. It's so nice to hear this stuff in pristine shape.

Oh boy…! This already sounds too good to be true. Dare hardly read more posts in case the element of surprise is lost.

… and apologies for my earlier glib, disingenuous response to your post. Just high on the excitement of a good day, a fine curry and a close escape at the dentist!

“We live in divisive times.”
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: July 16, 2013, 04:40:28 PM »

I can't shake the feeling that I'm being had.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Jason
« Reply #1953 on: July 16, 2013, 04:41:16 PM »

Now we know where Rockin' the Man in the Boat came from.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: July 16, 2013, 05:17:00 PM »

I have a feelin'  Roll Eyes that the disc 4 California Feelin' features  fly-in vocal from Brian's demo. Anyone else get that feelin' besides me?
Jason
« Reply #1955 on: July 16, 2013, 05:18:06 PM »

Assuming Brian's vocal on the piano/vocal recording was overdubbed, I don't see why not...but who knows?
zachrwolfe
« Reply #1956 on: July 16, 2013, 05:35:02 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:56:18 PM by zatch » Logged
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: July 16, 2013, 05:48:55 PM »

Assuming Brian's vocal on the piano/vocal recording was overdubbed, I don't see why not...but who knows?

Maybe he meant the transition between his song writing style?
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: July 16, 2013, 05:51:21 PM »

What does this mean? Is there actually a Brian lead on "California Feelin'"? Is it a flown in '74 vocal? Or is it something different?

"Where Is She?" sounds amazing. I'm so excited to be getting a totally brand new unreleased Brian Wilson song and vocal from the Sunflower era!

And I hate to be lame, but any info on what "I Believe In Miracles" and "Why" are?

And lastly, anything about whether the '67 version of "Surf's Up" is different from the one on The SMiLE Sessions?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 05:53:59 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: July 16, 2013, 05:52:45 PM »

I would be ok with the possible fly-in. My " Roll Eyes" was for my lame use of "feelin'".
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: July 16, 2013, 05:55:58 PM »

What does this mean? Is there actually a Brian lead on "California Feelin'"? Is it a flown in '74 vocal?

The press release mentioned it featured vocals by Brian, Carl, and Bruce.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 05:57:09 PM by pixletwin » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: July 16, 2013, 05:59:22 PM »

What does this mean? Is there actually a Brian lead on "California Feelin'"? Is it a flown in '74 vocal?

The press release mentioned it featured vocals by Brian, Carl, and... A third person whose name I can't remember.

Yeah I remember that. Adam Marsland has mentioned on here that there was a lead vocal recorded during the L.A. (Light Album) sessions and that it was not too great. So I figure it's probably not those vocals. Maybe something from a version we know nothing of? Whatever it is sounds cool though. And Brian okayed it, so I'm cool with it, whatever it is.
Nicko1234
« Reply #1962 on: July 16, 2013, 06:01:53 PM »

I`m interested as to why Where is She? is on the vaults disc and whether it`s because it sounds incomplete or like a demo at all.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: July 16, 2013, 06:38:03 PM »

I`m interested as to why Where is She? is on the vaults disc and whether it`s because it sounds incomplete or like a demo at all.

Obviously I've never heard it, but I remember AGD saying it was rough back in the day. So it might be pretty, and it might have good singing or whatever, but it probably also was only worked on once in the studio and then forgotten amongst all of the other Sunflower-era things going on. But it is odd that this brand new song would be placed on the vault disc while a vocal section of "Ol' Man River" and an a cappella of "Can't Wait Too Long" are in the "regular" portion of the set. Or even more weird, an alternate mix of "Brian's Back" which isn't even a Beach Boys song, but rather a Mike Love solo recording. Unless of course this "alternate mix" is The Beach Boys version. Which wouldn't make it an alternate mix. Blah whatever.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: July 16, 2013, 06:39:26 PM »

Thanks so much.

Sounds fantastic

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1965 on: July 16, 2013, 07:06:58 PM »

What's "My Love Lives On" like?

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: July 16, 2013, 08:21:17 PM »

And lastly, anything about whether the '67 version of "Surf's Up" is different from the one on The SMiLE Sessions?

THIS PLEASE. <3

leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: July 16, 2013, 08:49:14 PM »

Sounds Super! August cant get here soon enough. thanks for the insight.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: July 16, 2013, 10:09:25 PM »

I want to hear little bits about this package before it's released that make me want to buy it.  The initial leak is encouraging and I want to hear more!
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: July 17, 2013, 01:04:46 AM »

August cant get here soon enough.

Er - I think I'll stick with July in the UK, currently 90degree F sunshine all month.
In fact what am I doing in front of a screen.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: July 17, 2013, 01:40:13 AM »

Thanks so much!

Please post your review of it here for us to read! So great when a fan of music can write something about the music he loves in a professional setting.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: July 17, 2013, 02:09:47 AM »

Alternate "Meant for You" should be released as the single. There's an audience segment the band's repeatedly failed to capture over the years and now, they have the perfect opportunity to appeal to that target market... bring on the Bronies!

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: July 17, 2013, 02:28:19 AM »

I'm slightly confused. Are we getting the infamous 1974 demo of Brian doing California Feeling? Or an unknown demo of it?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: July 17, 2013, 02:32:29 AM »

From what I can parse, there is a track in the main boxset sequence (which seems to be a version of the track that we have booted?) and also a demo on disc 6, which could be BW's 1974 demo with infamous bad delivery. I think the confusion is that BW also cut a lead on the aforementioned track which is apparently crap?

Or am I the one confused here?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: July 17, 2013, 02:48:31 AM »

I have highlighted the part of the original post that caused my confusion. At first I thought RONDEMON wrote Disc 6, but looking closer this time, I think RONDEMON was making mention of an unknown studio take. I took it to mean that we weren't getting the 1974 solo Brian demo.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 [79] 80 81 82 83 84 ... 112 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx