gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681220 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 29, 2024, 05:12:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79 ... 112 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MiC up for order on Amazon, August release  (Read 444489 times)
scooby1970
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1825 on: July 08, 2013, 06:40:26 AM »

Good to see the Made In California box-set has dropped below £100 here in the UK.

Smiley Mark

Long time Beach Boys fan and collector. Long time forum browser.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: July 08, 2013, 06:40:56 AM »

I'd vote against a chatroom simply because it's hard enough having to deal with the misfits, trolls and retards here without having to do it in real time. That said, it would have the decided benefit of shutting up those who keep bleating "well just don't read his posts, then".   Grin

Pretty harsh. Not a good feeling for the people who want to learn more, but are too afraid to ask.
[/quote]

But that is the official motto of this forum isn't it?  We don't take kindly to "outsiders".  Wink

Only joking of course.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #1827 on: July 08, 2013, 07:00:47 AM »

But that is the official motto of this forum isn't it?  We don't take kindly to "outsiders".  Wink

Absolutley, I don't have time for anyone with under 1840 posts
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 09:56:00 AM by (Stephen Newcombe) » Logged
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: July 08, 2013, 08:20:35 AM »

More songs need to include the phrase "mister businessman," I say.
Classic!!   LOL

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: July 08, 2013, 08:31:40 AM »

I enjoy Games Two Can Play, I Just Got My Pay and H.E.L.P.  These would have fit the comedic part of the SMiLE concept perfectly had they been written back then.  Then again, others call these type of tunes "novelty songs" which can make them seem somewhat lesser material, which they technically are. 

I don't own the GV box, but amazingly my local library carries it, along with the Pet Sounds Sessions and the 2 disc SMiLE box. Grin
I've never understood, what I call, the "Landlocked" era.  Don't these date from around that time?  I don't know what was recorded during that era/what was planned for the album, etc.  Seems like there was a lot of juggling and rejecting of tracks lists.  I need to spend some time getting that straight.

...anyway regarding those 3 tracks, they're a lot of fun.  What I like about them is how much they sound like Love You-type of stuff.  Real honest and raw.  Very laid back.  There's something so awesome about all these types of Beach Boys tracks for me.  The fact that Brian got others to go along and record the stuff they did in the 70s is so charming.  Shorten' Bread.  Johnny Carson. et al.  Fantastic Stuff.

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #1830 on: July 08, 2013, 08:47:26 AM »

Gosh, I've just realised Mt Vernon isn't represented on MIC at all. Ooh, now there's a glaring omission if ever there was one... I'd love to hear Brian's Pied Piper-voice speech in isolation.
I can't tell if you're being serious or sarcastic!   LOL

Brian's Pied-Piper voice on MV&F scares the crap out of me for some reason!  For me... it is, without a doubt, the weirdest thing in all of Beach Boy-land.

Sarcastic? No way. I love Mt Vernon - as does Brian. So it's a surprise that it's not represented at all on the box (a replica of the little vinyl package that came with Holland would've been a nice extra in the box and a groovy little shout-out to all the vinyl junkies). Mt Vernon, Girl Don't Tell Me and All I Wanna Do have been the ''oh, well I sure thought they'd be on there!'' moments for me.
That would have been an awesome bonus feature for the MiC box, I agree.  I rarely listen to the whole thing w/ story and narration.  I much prefer the extracted musical snippets, as found on the GV box.  Some of my favorite BBs music for some reason.  "dom, dom... radio dom!"  or whatever they're singing!  Smiley 

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1831 on: July 08, 2013, 11:15:24 AM »

I've never understood, what I call, the "Landlocked" era.  Don't these date from around that time?  I don't know what was recorded during that era/what was planned for the album, etc.  Seems like there was a lot of juggling and rejecting of tracks lists.  I need to spend some time getting that straight.

http://www.esquarterly.com/bellagio/unreleased.html - then scroll about halfway down.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: July 08, 2013, 12:20:59 PM »

Thanks!

joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: July 08, 2013, 12:43:38 PM »

Classic!!   LOL
You mean like this song ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9897_pHy3mo
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: July 08, 2013, 09:56:09 PM »

Classic!!   LOL
You mean like this song ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9897_pHy3mo
No, like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyGWbpNzH2o  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: July 09, 2013, 04:17:33 AM »

Back to the box set…

Still no samples? Sizzle reels? Video comps?

“We live in divisive times.”
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: July 09, 2013, 07:56:46 AM »

Good to see the Made In California box-set has dropped below £100 here in the UK.

Smiley Mark

Right, yes, certainly, but I have two observations.

First, that sub-100-quid price is just the *Amazon* price, and as others have been pointing out over the last few pages of this thread, you can get it cheaper still from other on-line retailers that serve the UK.

Secondly... Amazon now shows the set being released on... September 2nd. That merits a 'WTF?' from me, at least.

Hey don't take my word for it: check it out yerselves...

EDIT: oh, and in case the stuff at that link should change, here's a grab of what was there when I pasted the link!

« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 08:06:10 AM by Matt Bielewicz » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: July 09, 2013, 08:02:04 AM »

Smiley Mark

Right, yes, certainly, but I have two observations.

First, that sub-100-quid price is just the *Amazon* price, and as others have been pointing out over the last few pages of this thread, you can get it cheaper still from other on-line retailers that serve the UK.

Secondly... Amazon now shows the set being released on... September 2nd. That merits a 'WTF?' from me, at least.

Hey don't take my word for it: check it out yerselves...
Amazon U.S. still has the original August 27th date listed for release. I'll bet the U.K. date will change again.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: July 09, 2013, 08:07:47 AM »

Amazon U.S. still has the original August 27th date listed for release. I'll bet the U.K. date will change again.

Sure... or maybe the US date will change to follow the UK one!  Wink

But let's think positive...
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: July 09, 2013, 09:34:42 AM »

Smiley Mark

Amazing, great price.

Just put my order in

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: July 09, 2013, 09:41:26 AM »

Amazing, great price.

Just put my order in

Woah, Shady! Did you miss *this* a couple of pages back?

If you thought the new, lower Amazon UK price was good, check that out!

Me, I'll be buying from a brick and mortar store, whatever the price - if you don't use 'em, you lose 'em - but that's just my preference. The guys who sold me The SMiLE Sessions box in the West of England ROCKED THE EARTH, and will be getting my cash again, methinks.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: July 09, 2013, 09:50:05 AM »

Amazing, great price.

Just put my order in

Woah, Shady! Did you miss *this* a couple of pages back?

If you thought the new, lower Amazon UK price was good, check that out!

Me, I'll be buying from a brick and mortar store, whatever the price - if you don't use 'em, you lose 'em - but that's just my preference. The guys who sold me The SMiLE Sessions box in the West of England ROCKED THE EARTH, and will be getting my cash again, methinks.

Which store did you use Matt? Lead me by the hand…!

“We live in divisive times.”
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: July 09, 2013, 11:54:48 AM »

Checkez votre PMs, John, innit!
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: July 09, 2013, 03:59:07 PM »

Gosh, I've just realised Mt Vernon isn't represented on MIC at all. Ooh, now there's a glaring omission if ever there was one... I'd love to hear Brian's Pied Piper-voice speech in isolation.

Brian's Pied-Piper voice on MV&F scares the crap out of me for some reason!  For me... it is, without a doubt, the weirdest thing in all of Beach Boy-land.
LOL  Definitely freaky, but kinda fits the MV tone - The Pied Piper's earlier efforts on Child of Winter get my vote for weirdest.

Now if only the Piper had handled the lead vocal on Tide Pool interlude.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: July 09, 2013, 05:41:53 PM »

LOL  Definitely freaky, but kinda fits the MV tone - The Pied Piper's earlier efforts on Child of Winter get my vote for weirdest.

Now if only the Piper had handled the lead vocal on Tide Pool interlude.

LOL Now that would be something.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1845 on: July 09, 2013, 06:57:25 PM »

So I don't know if anybody else has really talked about this, but "Goin' To The Beach" was peformed by the Mike and Bruce band recently, and it sounded pretty much exactly as I expected it to, which is kinda disappointing. It's pretty much a bare bones rock 'n roll tune with beachy lyrics by Mike. I'm not sure if Brian co-wrote it or not, but if he did, it's pretty much one of the simplest sounding things he's done. I'm glad to get any previously unreleased Beach Boys material at all, especially from the '60s or '70s, but I have to imagine there had to have been better outtakes from KTSA. How about "Boys And Girls"?  Or "I'll Always Love You"? Or Dennis' last studio drum performance on "Johnny B. Goode"?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: July 09, 2013, 07:25:28 PM »

So I don't know if anybody else has really talked about this, but "Goin' To The Beach" was peformed by the Mike and Bruce band recently, and it sounded pretty much exactly as I expected it to, which is kinda disappointing. It's pretty much a bare bones rock 'n roll tune with beachy lyrics by Mike. I'm not sure if Brian co-wrote it or not, but if he did, it's pretty much one of the simplest sounding things he's done. I'm glad to get any previously unreleased Beach Boys material at all, especially from the '60s or '70s, but I have to imagine there had to have been better outtakes from KTSA. How about "Boys And Girls"?  Or "I'll Always Love You"? Or Dennis' last studio drum performance on "Johnny B. Goode"?

I think it's pretty much a Mike tune that Brian added some chord changes to.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1847 on: July 09, 2013, 07:50:17 PM »

I'd bet a lot of money it's a Brian tune w/ Mike lyrics. The chords are classic BW.

Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: July 09, 2013, 07:52:46 PM »

So, I posted this in the Hyde Park topic after someone raised the question of "Goin to the Beach" being used as a potential single (and someone else mentioned that they'd be embarrassed to see that happen), but I figure it's really more at home here:

I'm not one who has heard WIBNTLA yet, but if it has any commercial appeal (I know it's supposed to contain one helluva vocal, at least), then maybe a promo film, utilizing vintage era footage, could be assembled into something in the vein of a "through the years" kind of tribute and submitted to the likes of VH1, or something?

Here's food for thought:  Among the unreleased numbers bound for Made in California, what do people think would potentially work as a single?  Something catchy enough, which sells the idea of the box set (and the band's image/legacy) to the public at-large, while still being something you think you could live with as a hardcore fan?
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: July 09, 2013, 07:55:27 PM »

So I don't know if anybody else has really talked about this, but "Goin' To The Beach" was peformed by the Mike and Bruce band recently, and it sounded pretty much exactly as I expected it to, which is kinda disappointing. It's pretty much a bare bones rock 'n roll tune with beachy lyrics by Mike. I'm not sure if Brian co-wrote it or not, but if he did, it's pretty much one of the simplest sounding things he's done. I'm glad to get any previously unreleased Beach Boys material at all, especially from the '60s or '70s, but I have to imagine there had to have been better outtakes from KTSA. How about "Boys And Girls"?  Or "I'll Always Love You"? Or Dennis' last studio drum performance on "Johnny B. Goode"?

I'd bet a lot of money it's a Brian tune w/ Mike lyrics. The chords are classic BW.

Sounds like a Mike tune.  Not sure if Brian is even on it.  Carl is mentioned I believe.

Link from RonBaker2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8er-kxIPhA

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JC6DfsQo1RE&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DJC6DfsQo1RE
Instrumental track with demo vocals

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79 ... 112 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx