gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681508 Posts in 27639 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 09, 2024, 06:00:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 78 ... 112 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MiC up for order on Amazon, August release  (Read 445437 times)
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1800 on: July 03, 2013, 05:04:26 PM »

I would listen to these songs first.  Most are available on youtube, for example.

A song being available on Youtube is not the same as a song being in your collection.
Youtube videos may come and go.. We shouldn't rely on anything like that.

Yes.  My point was that anyone thinking of buying the GV box set can listen to many of the songs on Youtube before deciding whether to buy it.  Otherwise, if someone buys the set expecting Games Two Can Play, H.E.L.P. Is On The Way and I Just Got My Pay to be "great," they're likely to be in for a rude surprise.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: July 03, 2013, 05:40:10 PM »

Just because it's not in print doesn't mean it's easy to get. I wanted to buy a friend a Beach Boys related gift for his birthday (always looking for converts....),so I snagged a copy of the VG set on Ebay just now for $11.50 (WITH shipping!!).

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: July 03, 2013, 06:40:30 PM »

H.E.L.P. is one of the best songs they ever wrote and recorded. That means H.E.L.P. is one of the best songs of all time.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
RonBaker2003
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: July 03, 2013, 06:58:54 PM »

I actually like H E L P.  That whole bootleg album (except for "When Girls Get Together") was good...well, "Loop De Loop" isn't so good either.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 07:00:00 PM by RonBaker2003 » Logged
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #1804 on: July 04, 2013, 02:09:50 AM »

GV box set is available on Ebay UK right now. I know it is, because I just bought a (second) copy (before the price skyrockets further).
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: July 06, 2013, 08:03:06 PM »

Ugh, Why did Marilyn have to sing on "It's over now". She really can't hold a tune.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: July 06, 2013, 08:09:20 PM »

i dunno.

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: July 06, 2013, 08:22:58 PM »

LOL LOL

I've been waiting to be trolled by you. What an honour 

Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: July 06, 2013, 08:28:53 PM »

i'm not a troll.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: July 06, 2013, 08:42:33 PM »

Yeah, you're too funny to be a troll. Trolls aren't funny.

Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: July 06, 2013, 09:17:07 PM »

nah, 'shady's big chance' - that's what funny.

Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: July 07, 2013, 07:20:08 AM »

Otherwise, if someone buys the set expecting Games Two Can Play, H.E.L.P. Is On The Way and I Just Got My Pay to be "great," they're likely to be in for a rude surprise.

I'd say it's a rude surprise that someone doesn't like 'em.  "Games Two Can Play" is just plain delightful, and HELP is wonderfully off-the-wall!

Cheers,
Jon Blum
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1812 on: July 07, 2013, 07:23:20 AM »

More songs need to include the phrase "mister businessman," I say.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: July 07, 2013, 07:48:41 AM »

Quote from: monicker
H.E.L.P. is one of the best songs they ever wrote and recorded. That means H.E.L.P. is one of the best songs of all time.

Otherwise, if someone buys the set expecting Games Two Can Play, H.E.L.P. Is On The Way and I Just Got My Pay to be "great," they're likely to be in for a rude surprise.

I'd say it's a rude surprise that someone doesn't like 'em.  "Games Two Can Play" is just plain delightful, and HELP is wonderfully off-the-wall!

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Yes and yes. "H.E.L.P." has been one of my favourite BBs songs (definitely in my TOP10 next to "Marcella" and "Please Let Me Wonder") since the early days of my fandom. That tune is just.... !
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: July 07, 2013, 08:14:33 AM »

I'd say it's a rude surprise that someone doesn't like 'em.  "Games Two Can Play" is just plain delightful, and HELP is wonderfully off-the-wall!

Cheers,
Jon Blum

I love 'Games Two Can Play'; the chord progression is great!

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1815 on: July 07, 2013, 08:20:05 AM »

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Those two songs never did anything for me.  I always figured there's a good reason they were previously unreleased.  

It makes me wonder how many of the previously unreleased songs on MiC are going to be worth only one or two listens for me.  I'm hoping there are at least a few that are mind blowers.
MBE
« Reply #1816 on: July 07, 2013, 08:44:53 AM »

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Yeah three great quirky songs. I don't know what is not to like, unless taste dictates everything needs to be very slick and produced.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #1817 on: July 07, 2013, 08:48:41 AM »

Cheers,
Jon Blum

I love 'Games Two Can Play'; the chord progression is great!

A classic BW progression if ever there was one
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: July 07, 2013, 10:36:50 AM »

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Yeah three great quirky songs. I don't know what is not to like, unless taste dictates everything needs to be very slick and produced.

"We ate tonight at Fairfax and Third…"

So I did and it was great!

“We live in divisive times.”
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: July 07, 2013, 12:11:08 PM »

I enjoy Games Two Can Play, I Just Got My Pay and H.E.L.P.  These would have fit the comedic part of the SMiLE concept perfectly had they been written back then.  Then again, others call these type of tunes "novelty songs" which can make them seem somewhat lesser material, which they technically are. 

I don't own the GV box, but amazingly my local library carries it, along with the Pet Sounds Sessions and the 2 disc SMiLE box. Grin
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #1820 on: July 08, 2013, 12:04:30 AM »

Gosh, I've just realised Mt Vernon isn't represented on MIC at all. Ooh, now there's a glaring omission if ever there was one... I'd love to hear Brian's Pied Piper-voice speech in isolation.
I can't tell if you're being serious or sarcastic!   LOL

Brian's Pied-Piper voice on MV&F scares the crap out of me for some reason!  For me... it is, without a doubt, the weirdest thing in all of Beach Boy-land.

Sarcastic? No way. I love Mt Vernon - as does Brian. So it's a surprise that it's not represented at all on the box (a replica of the little vinyl package that came with Holland would've been a nice extra in the box and a groovy little shout-out to all the vinyl junkies). Mt Vernon, Girl Don't Tell Me and All I Wanna Do have been the ''oh, well I sure thought they'd be on there!'' moments for me.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: July 08, 2013, 12:21:27 AM »

Hey, so what did I miss in the last 70 pages?

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: July 08, 2013, 12:38:59 AM »

Nothing much. We all hate AGD again, for some stupid reason.  Roll Eyes

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: July 08, 2013, 01:44:46 AM »

Nothing much. We all hate AGD again, for some stupid reason.  Roll Eyes

I'd vote against a chatroom simply because it's hard enough having to deal with the misfits, trolls and retards here without having to do it in real time. That said, it would have the decided benefit of shutting up those who keep bleating "well just don't read his posts, then".   Grin

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: July 08, 2013, 04:59:09 AM »

I'd vote against a chatroom simply because it's hard enough having to deal with the misfits, trolls and retards here without having to do it in real time. That said, it would have the decided benefit of shutting up those who keep bleating "well just don't read his posts, then".   Grin
[/quote]

Pretty harsh. Not a good feeling for the people who want to learn more, but are too afraid to ask.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 78 ... 112 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx