gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:35:26 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 77 ... 112 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MiC up for order on Amazon, August release  (Read 437951 times)
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: July 01, 2013, 02:35:59 PM »

So, I've been toying with buying the Good Vibrations box recently. With this set on the horizon, does it make buying the Good Vibrations set irrelevant?

Yes, Buy it -- you even get real jewel cases in th GV set.

I love jewel cases, so much easier to take care of than Digipaks, and easily replacable!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: July 01, 2013, 03:46:21 PM »

So is Canada Amazon still the cheapest source to date?

just keep posting the best prices, thats what matters.  Grin

The price on amazon.ca suddenly shot up by $30 the other day which is a bitch, cheapest I've seen it anywhere is Sainsburys at £80.99, I posted a link 2 pages ago but it got ignored in the sitcom debate meltdown. Here it is again:

http://www.sainsburysentertainment.co.uk/en/Music/CD/The-Beach-Boys/Made-In-California/product.html?product=E11250584

I posted a link about 30 pages ago

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,15760.msg376260.html#msg376260  Violin

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: July 01, 2013, 03:48:53 PM »

My thoughts on MIC have actually gone up since the announcement.

Disappointment was inevitable but now that I'm over some of the omissions I'm excited to hear a bunch of songs on this box set

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: July 01, 2013, 04:34:17 PM »

Brian's changed his tune re God in recent years.

The Guardian Q&A: Do you believe in God?

Brian: No.

Fair play. And some people still have the nerve to say he's crazy...?

Strange!  Brian has never been known to contradict himself in interviews!  (Yes that's sarcasm  LOL)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1779 on: July 01, 2013, 04:58:07 PM »

So, I've been toying with buying the Good Vibrations box recently. With this set on the horizon, does it make buying the Good Vibrations set irrelevant?

Buy it for all the great tracks that won't be on MIC or available on any other BB comp that's still easily obtainable...I'm thinking specifically of San Miguel, Fourth Of July, Games Two Can Play, H.E.L.P. Is On The Way and I Just Got My Pay, but there are others.
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: July 01, 2013, 05:19:31 PM »

Buy it for all the great tracks that won't be on MIC or available on any other BB comp that's still easily obtainable...I'm thinking specifically of San Miguel, Fourth Of July, Games Two Can Play, H.E.L.P. Is On The Way and I Just Got My Pay, but there are others.

I would listen to these songs first.  Most are available on youtube, for example.

While I agree that the GV box set is a good value, I strongly disagree that tracks like Games Two Can Play, H.E.L.P. Is On The Way and I Just Got My Pay are "great."  While it's probably the majority view on this board that they are in fact great, most non-obsessives probably would not think so.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: July 01, 2013, 05:20:06 PM »

My thoughts on MIC have actually gone up since the announcement.

Disappointment was inevitable but now that I'm over some of the omissions I'm excited to hear a bunch of songs on this box set

That's really great to hear, Shady.  

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Tilt Araiza
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: July 01, 2013, 06:15:42 PM »

Brian's changed his tune re God in recent years.

The Guardian Q&A: Do you believe in God?

Brian: No.

Fair play. And some people still have the nerve to say he's crazy...?

The same questionnaire format interview where he said his favourite book was The Bible and he had sex "twice a day, everyday".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: July 01, 2013, 09:20:37 PM »

In my opinion the GV box set is worth if for Fairy Tale Music alone.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1784 on: July 01, 2013, 11:16:32 PM »

Disc three and Four were my favorites upon purchase in 1995.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1785 on: July 01, 2013, 11:19:53 PM »

Me too.  Grin I always thought I was kind of weird for liking Still I Dream Of It more than the early stuff.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 11:22:37 PM by Jay » Logged

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: July 02, 2013, 04:09:46 AM »

In my opinion the GV box set is worth if for Fairy Tale Music alone.
A big "Hell yeah" +1 to that.  Would be great to hear that sequence paired with a cleaned-up mix of Brian's Mt V "walkthrough" boot.

A pity Sea Cruise never popped up on GV
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 04:56:46 PM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: July 02, 2013, 04:46:04 AM »

On Amazon they changed back the release date. UK is now the 26th of August and US the 27th.

Just saw that the biggest online seller in Holland has put it at September 30. Also, my trusted city retailer has taken off MiC (previously set at Aug 27) of his release schedules altogether.

My guess: it'll be Sept 30 over here.

You mean bol.com right? I was hoping they had the date wrong.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: July 02, 2013, 05:05:36 AM »

On Amazon they changed back the release date. UK is now the 26th of August and US the 27th.

Just saw that the biggest online seller in Holland has put it at September 30. Also, my trusted city retailer has taken off MiC (previously set at Aug 27) of his release schedules altogether.

My guess: it'll be Sept 30 over here.

You mean bol.com right? I was hoping they had the date wrong.

Yep. I thought that too at first, but then I saw my city retailer had taken it off altogether. Made me curious.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: July 02, 2013, 08:16:20 AM »

+2 for Fairytale music!!  I wish there was an entire album of just this type of thing.

I wish they could have convinced Brian, "rather than Mt Vernon story thing... let's just do a whole album of fragments (yes, but not SMiLE. No, no, no...)  Just the 'feels' man.  Just the feeels.  Don't worry about connecting them."

Fairytale music is like Picasso.  A little window into what it must have been like at Brian's house everyday, after he finished eating 3 steaks.

Paulos
« Reply #1790 on: July 02, 2013, 11:33:24 AM »

So is Canada Amazon still the cheapest source to date?

just keep posting the best prices, thats what matters.  Grin

The price on amazon.ca suddenly shot up by $30 the other day which is a bitch, cheapest I've seen it anywhere is Sainsburys at £80.99, I posted a link 2 pages ago but it got ignored in the sitcom debate meltdown. Here it is again:

http://www.sainsburysentertainment.co.uk/en/Music/CD/The-Beach-Boys/Made-In-California/product.html?product=E11250584

I posted a link about 30 pages ago

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,15760.msg376260.html#msg376260  Violin

No real need to be a dick about it though eh?
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: July 02, 2013, 01:53:25 PM »

Wasn't trying to be a dick about it matey! Smiley
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 01:54:29 PM by Sam_BFC » Logged

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
FUN³
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: July 02, 2013, 03:28:15 PM »

god this thread is dumb
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: July 02, 2013, 09:13:57 PM »

+2 for Fairytale music!!  I wish there was an entire album of just this type of thing.

I wish they could have convinced Brian, "rather than Mt Vernon story thing... let's just do a whole album of fragments (yes, but not SMiLE. No, no, no...)  Just the 'feels' man.  Just the feeels.  Don't worry about connecting them."

Fairytale music is like Picasso.  A little window into what it must have been like at Brian's house everyday, after he finished eating 3 steaks.
I wonder if there are any outtakes from Mt Vernon and Fairway? I'd love to hear if there were other sections not used.

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #1794 on: July 02, 2013, 11:34:12 PM »

I wonder if there are any outtakes from Mt Vernon and Fairway? I'd love to hear if there were other sections not used.

Gosh, I've just realised Mt Vernon isn't represented on MIC at all. Ooh, now there's a glaring omission if ever there was one... I'd love to hear Brian's Pied Piper-voice speech in isolation.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: July 03, 2013, 12:07:31 AM »

A vinyl reproduction, complete with any and all original artwork and writing would have been a nice little bonus in the set.

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1796 on: July 03, 2013, 12:48:06 AM »

I always thought I was kind of weird for liking Still I Dream Of It more than the early stuff.

That entirely depends on who is in the room with you. Wink 2

On Brian's birthday I told some friends it was Brian Wilson's birthday. They looked at me blandly, then looked at each other and one said, "Must be one of the Beach Boys." Cheesy

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: July 03, 2013, 07:27:06 AM »

Gosh, I've just realised Mt Vernon isn't represented on MIC at all. Ooh, now there's a glaring omission if ever there was one... I'd love to hear Brian's Pied Piper-voice speech in isolation.
I can't tell if you're being serious or sarcastic!   LOL

Brian's Pied-Piper voice on MV&F scares the crap out of me for some reason!  For me... it is, without a doubt, the weirdest thing in all of Beach Boy-land.

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: July 03, 2013, 07:43:24 AM »

More than anything... I want stuff like that.  The other stuff is fine... a stereo mix here/backing track there... a half-decent abandoned track this/different lead vocal that -- all that stuff is fine, but often no more than a "ahh, neat" type of moment.

But the big kahuna for me is anything of Brian in the 70s (but not limited to the 70s) just sitting at the piano, working on feels.  Little vocal snippets, maybe Mike or Carl joins in on a harmony... but this is what I want.  Basically what "Meant For You" and "Fairytale Music" are.  Feels.  1 minute masterpieces.  This is why Adult Child is so awesome... why Love You is so loved.  The piano demos to Love You... even better!!

This is the holy grail of Brian Wilson/Beach Boy fandom for this fan.  And it was the easiest thing to do -- just flick the "record" switch on the ol' real-to-real doo-hickey while Brian was plunking away on the piano, probably with his shirt off and a cigarette dangling out of his mouth.  I want 10 cds of that.

How likely does anything like that exist?  And if not, why the f-ck not?  If I had a genius leading my band, reluctant (too disturbed to leave his house) to record, I would have gone to his house and done this -- all day, every day.  Didn't Sail On, Sailor exist as something like this?  Rescued from some tape by Van Dyke?

TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: July 03, 2013, 08:29:26 AM »

I would listen to these songs first.  Most are available on youtube, for example.

A song being available on Youtube is not the same as a song being in your collection.
Youtube videos may come and go.. We shouldn't rely on anything like that.

What about "Our Team"?   LOL
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 08:30:29 AM by TV Forces » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 77 ... 112 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx