gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681509 Posts in 27639 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 09, 2024, 10:53:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 ... 112 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MiC up for order on Amazon, August release  (Read 445496 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: June 22, 2013, 10:46:57 PM »

Ok, let's see if I can try to steer the direction of this topic back to something constructive. A few days ago, AGD mentioned that there is a Brian led studio version of California Feeling that will never be released, even on an archival box set. The fact that he put a smiley at the end of his post makes me think that it's probably hilariously bad. I wonder if Andrew could possibly elaborate.  Grin

Yes, I could.
Would you be willing to share anything about it?

Not sure if you saw what I posted upthread, by check out my post to see what Adam Marsland (adamghost) had to say.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: June 22, 2013, 11:54:07 PM »

Ok, let's see if I can try to steer the direction of this topic back to something constructive. A few days ago, AGD mentioned that there is a Brian led studio version of California Feeling that will never be released, even on an archival box set. The fact that he put a smiley at the end of his post makes me think that it's probably hilariously bad. I wonder if Andrew could possibly elaborate.  Grin

Yes, I could.
Would you be willing to share anything about it?

Not sure if you saw what I posted upthread, by check out my post to see what Adam Marsland (adamghost) had to say.
I did see it, thanks. I wonder if Andrew could provide any other details, of if what Adam posted about is the only "interesting" point of note.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1552 on: June 23, 2013, 01:03:12 AM »

So, are the stereo wild honey tracks on this box the only ones for which true stereo mixes are possible? I remember Alan or Mark said that a stereo version of the entire album was impossible, but I've heard pretty good fanmixes of some of the other songs.

A stereo remix of "Let The Wind Blow" appeared on Hawthorne CA.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: June 23, 2013, 02:03:10 AM »

And it sucked royally.  Razz The stereo mix of Country Air is pretty awesome though.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: June 23, 2013, 02:13:36 AM »

So, are the stereo wild honey tracks on this box the only ones for which true stereo mixes are possible? I remember Alan or Mark said that a stereo version of the entire album was impossible, but I've heard pretty good fanmixes of some of the other songs.

Huh?

1. Wild Honey
2. Aren't You Glad?
3. I Was Made To Love Her
4. Country Air
5. A Thing Or Two

6. Darlin'
7. I'd Love Just Once To See You
8. Here Comes The Night
9. Let The Wind Blow
10. How She Boogalooed It
11. Mama Says

These four tracks (the yellow ones) are being presented in stereo. Leading up to this release, a comment made by either Mark or Alan indicated that a true stereo mix of the entire album was impossible. Does the fact that these four, and only these four tracks are being released on MIC in stereo mean that stereo mixes of the excluded ones are impossible (the teal ones)?

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #1555 on: June 23, 2013, 02:34:05 AM »

Guys, i'm feeling pretty pleased with myself. I just realized Becker is really Fishmonk who is really Ghost. What this has to do with John Q. Public or Dorian Gray or John Quincy Adams surfing in the Potomac, and whether any of them would like the Beach Boys, i still haven't figured out.   

Is this true Becker, were you Ghost?

I thought Heartical Don was Ghost
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: June 23, 2013, 02:38:33 AM »

Guys, i'm feeling pretty pleased with myself. I just realized Becker is really Fishmonk who is really Ghost. What this has to do with John Q. Public or Dorian Gray or John Quincy Adams surfing in the Potomac, and whether any of them would like the Beach Boys, i still haven't figured out.   

Naw, monicker just has his panties in a twist about something or other.

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #1557 on: June 23, 2013, 03:17:46 AM »

Didn't think so, but see you were Fishmonk. Had wondered where you'd gone. My views may run counter to yours with the boxed set, but I'm in total agreement with you that you can post what the hell you like about it. Phil also. Have never got my head round how someone who posted horrific pictures of murdered children was allowed to continue posting here, and someone whose only crime was a pessimistic outlook is still banned.

I have nothing against anyone on here (apart from the dead children guy), and I normally find the people who think differently to me are the most enlightening, (on many levels.)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 03:19:14 AM by (Stephen Newcombe) » Logged
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: June 23, 2013, 03:25:15 AM »

Huh?

1. Wild Honey
2. Aren't You Glad?
4. Country Air
5. A Thing Or Two

6. Darlin'
8. Here Comes The Night
9. Let The Wind Blow
11. Mama Says

These four tracks (the yellow ones) are being presented in stereo. Leading up to this release, a comment made by either Mark or Alan indicated that a true stereo mix of the entire album was impossible. Does the fact that these four, and only these four tracks are being released on MIC in stereo mean that stereo mixes of the excluded ones are impossible (the teal ones)?

A Thing Or Two, Here Comes The Night, I Was Made To Love Her could all be done in stereo as far as we know. The others perhaps not, but who knows, maybe one or two more if they find something? I think all possible stereo mixes from one of their strongest albums should be released in some form in the future.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: June 23, 2013, 03:28:41 AM »

Huh?

1. Wild Honey
2. Aren't You Glad?
4. Country Air
5. A Thing Or Two

6. Darlin'
8. Here Comes The Night
9. Let The Wind Blow
11. Mama Says

A Thing Or Two, Here Comes The Night, I Was Made To Love Her could all be done in stereo as far as we know. The others perhaps not, but who knows, maybe one or two more if they find something? I think all possible stereo mixes from one of their strongest albums should be released in some form in the future.

Thanks. That's what I meant, I've heard better than passable fan mixes of A Thing Or Two and was curious whether or not an official mix was possible.

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1560 on: June 23, 2013, 03:33:31 AM »

Didn't think so, but see you were Fishmonk. Had wondered where you'd gone. My views may run counter to yours with the boxed set, but I'm in total agreement with you that you can post what the hell you like about it. Phil also. Have never got my head round how someone who posted horrific pictures of murdered children was allowed to continue posting here, and someone whose only crime was a pessimistic outlook is still banned.

I have nothing against anyone on here (apart from the dead children guy), and I normally find the people who think differently to me are the most enlightening, (on many levels.)

It just gets really silly here sometimes.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: June 23, 2013, 05:30:36 AM »

It just gets really silly here sometimes.

This should go straight into Webster's to illustrate the word: understatement.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: June 23, 2013, 06:03:58 AM »

Huh?

1. Wild Honey
2. Aren't You Glad?
4. Country Air
5. A Thing Or Two

6. Darlin'
8. Here Comes The Night
9. Let The Wind Blow
11. Mama Says

I think you're a bit off, there - I specifically remember "Here Comes The Night" as being one of the songs that could not be mixed into stereo due to how Brian recorded and mixed the album. Basically, if it was recorded in modular form (ala Smile, Smiley Smile etc.), the guys would do vocals over the verse, Brian would mix it down, and then the guys would re-record over the first verse vocals for additional vocals, mix those down, and then Brian would later edit all this together.

Based on this knowledge, I would say "How She Boogalooed It" and "Mama Says" can definitely be mixed in stereo while "Aren't You Glad", "I Was Made To Love Her", "I'd Love Just Once To See You" might be possible. "A Thing Or Two" doesn't seem likely to me at all, and I feel like it was specifically said "Here Comes The Night" was not possible.

Actually, forget everything I just said, if you have a certain bootleg that chronicles these sessions, you can apparently tell which songs this affects just by listening. If a song starts with the 2nd verse, no stereo for you.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: June 23, 2013, 06:32:37 AM »

Aren't You Glad is missing a few things, but otherwise a pretty darn good stereo remix is possible.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: June 23, 2013, 06:41:22 AM »

Aren't You Glad is missing a few things, but otherwise a pretty darn good stereo remix is possible.

Yes sir, I'll take it.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: June 23, 2013, 07:43:50 AM »

So now we're talking Here Comes the Night, A Thing or Two, I Was Made to Love Her, and Aren't You Glad.  That makes 8 out of 11 tracks - with "stereo extraction" on the other three, you've got a mono/stereo Wild Honey reissue!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: June 23, 2013, 07:59:00 AM »

THANKS FOR NOT READING MY POST AT ALL. are you people even LISTENING. is what i WONDER someTIMES.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: June 23, 2013, 09:11:03 AM »

So now we're talking Here Comes the Night, A Thing or Two, I Was Made to Love Her, and Aren't You Glad.  That makes 8 out of 11 tracks - with "stereo extraction" on the other three, you've got a mono/stereo Wild Honey reissue!

YES!  THIS!!!  And stick the extended version of I Was Made to Love Her (with the vocal bridge) on as a bonus track, and I'll pre-order 10 copies right out of the gate!
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1568 on: June 23, 2013, 10:15:39 AM »

I've actually moved on from this, but I come back now & then to see if there is any news
just to see the same old folks bitching because some people don't think a handful of new
songs is worth $130-145. 

You didn't move far enough:

http://www.ccmusic.com/music/cd/2617315/the-beach-boys-made-in-california

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: June 23, 2013, 11:41:52 AM »

I've actually moved on from this, but I come back now & then to see if there is any news
just to see the same old folks bitching because some people don't think a handful of new
songs is worth $130-145. 

You didn't move far enough:

http://www.ccmusic.com/music/cd/2617315/the-beach-boys-made-in-california

You didn't read my three posts with this, Daubs:

http://www.importcds.com/music/2617315/the-beach-boys-made-in-california

:D

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: June 23, 2013, 11:44:12 AM »

the price is just wayyyyyyyyyyy out of my league.  I paid 60 bucks for a Doors boxset when I was a kid and I still cry about it at night every once in a while. 
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: June 23, 2013, 11:45:04 AM »

The price does not bother me since I am rich.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 11:46:38 AM by Swedish Fog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Nicko1234
« Reply #1572 on: June 23, 2013, 11:55:26 AM »

Yep. Genocide in Rwanda has never bothered me because I don't live there. Wink
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: June 23, 2013, 11:57:04 AM »

Grin

The price would bother me even if I were rich. Retail price of $150 for 6 CDs and a book? I won't be getting it until the price drops under $100.

Sorry to beat a dead horse. I'll let everyone get back to debating the origin of the name John Q Public.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: June 23, 2013, 12:04:16 PM »

Current UK Amazon price converts to about $155.  Not complaining.

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 ... 112 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx