gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681508 Posts in 27639 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 09, 2024, 03:18:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 ... 112 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MiC up for order on Amazon, August release  (Read 445361 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1500 on: June 21, 2013, 02:43:50 PM »

Didn't the '93 Good Vibrations box go gold?  Don't think it went platinum........

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: June 21, 2013, 02:44:57 PM »

I think that reasoning applies to a bunch of folks these days, too. Yes, I agree with everyone that the price should be lower. But I doubt we've heard the last word on that subject.

The price is the crucial thing isn't it. If the price goes down to something similar to other box sets like £40 or something like that then there is no reason why it couldn't sell very well.

Maybe the high price is an attempt to ensure that it'll be bought by those who are gonna appreciate it rather than those who'll throw it on to a redundant pile of cheap box sets after one listen?

“We live in divisive times.”
Nicko1234
« Reply #1502 on: June 21, 2013, 02:46:22 PM »

Maybe the high price is an attempt to ensure that it'll be bought by those who are gonna appreciate it rather than those who'll throw it on to a redundant pile of cheap box sets after one listen?

Capitol Records thinks like that? Surely not.

And again that seems to rule out John Q Public.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 03:01:17 PM by Nicko1234 » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: June 21, 2013, 03:40:12 PM »

Nah, I don't think so. Folks who really like the BBs are going to buy this box; those that simply want to whine about the price, won't.
Who cares about them? 

That rules out John Q. Public then it seems.

Nah, I don't thnk so. John Q will buy it or not. BUt he won't come on this message baord and constantly complain about the price, because why would he waste his time, and everyone else reading?
The buying public will see the box and make a decision whether to buy, but they don't have time to constantly carp about the price, nor do they care.
3 or 4 whiners on this board are the only ones that feel the need to drag it down

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: June 21, 2013, 03:54:59 PM »

3 or 4 whiners on this board are the only ones that feel the need to drag it down

I disagree- this is a BB's message board named after Smiley Smile- it is a place for refuge and discussion among like minded people. We have a unique taste in music. Speaking on behalf of myself, I feel no need to drag it or anything down, just the need to discuss and vent amongst comrades- whether we agree or not. It's not like my co-workers have any clue what I talk about if I mention anything BB related. Dudes take things waaayyyyy to seriously on a BB message board. If something someone wrote is bothering you, then don't reply!! It's easy!! How many people get worked up for nothing! Need I bring up Phil Cohen?

At least if I complain about the price of MIC, that is something to me- my $$, and my all-time favorite music/art. Purchasing this set Aug 27th or waiting it out is quite the conundrum and it is apparent that feeling is shared among many super fans here.

No one is making anyone respond or even disuss these things. If it bothers someone then don't discuss it. It's simple. Just don't feel upset if people came to the SMILEY SMILE MB to vent about something they care deeply about.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 04:01:25 PM by Mahalo » Logged
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1505 on: June 21, 2013, 04:03:04 PM »

Some examples of the types of Beach Boys Fans this box is targeting:

1.   The Brianista: These fans haven’t really explored past Smile. Some of these fans can probably still be found lurking on the Blue board Smiley The Brianista definitely owns Pet Sounds, Smile and 2004 Smile, one or two, if not all, of Brian’s solo albums, a couple of greatest hits collections, the Today and Summer Days two-fer, and a variety of other early albums. For these fans, discs 3-6 of the new Box set are going to be full of revelations.

2.   The hipster fan: These young fans got into the Beach Boys via the Fleet Foxes or Animal Collective. They read pitchfork, and own Pet Sounds and Smile. They probably jumped straight from Pet Sounds to Sunflower, Surf’s Up, and Holland. This fan almost certainly owns the new Pacific Ocean Blue reissue, but most of the box will be new – especially disc 1!

3.   The Boomer: This baby boomer went to the 50th reunion tour, and has kept good care of the Beach Boys vinyl from their childhood. They own most of the earlier albums, at least seven greatest hits collections, and Pet Sounds. They may or may not own the Good Vibrations Box Set, but if they do, they probably haven’t listened to discs three and four since 1995. This box will be an eye opener, assuming they ever make it past disc 3! The live tracks will be a particular treat for a fan whose only live albums are the 64’ concert album and maybe the 50th anniversary tour album. 

4.   The new fan: self-explanatory. All they own is a Greatest hits and Pet Sounds, but Pet Sounds is growing increasingly captivating by the day. Where to go next? Made in California, duh! Yea it’s pricey, but not compared to the cost of assembling a full set of albums. Note also that the average greatest hits collection only has a bit over half of the Beach Boys 36 top-40 hits.

5.   The straight and narrow fan: This fan owns just about everything the Beach Boys have ever released, but has never listened to a bootleg. They may or may not be opposed to bootlegs, and they may not be super familiar with the internet. The box will be full of treats for these fans.

6.   The Still Building the Collection Fan: The Beach Boys have released a lot of albums. Even with two per disc, it’s easy to miss a few. I considered myself a huge Beach Boys fan for years before I bought Friends and 20/20, Carl and the Passions, Holland, 15 Big Ones, or Love You, let alone the 80s stuff. There’s just so much material to get through! Such a fan might own 15 different Beach Boys albums, and yet still be missing Surfer Girl and Shut Down vol. 2. Things happen. These fans will get a taste of what they’re missing.

7.   The obsessive but non-completist: I fall squarely into this category. I love the Beach Boys. I have tons of bootlegs. I read the Smiley Smile board and watch Stephen Desper’s amazing study videos. I own every released Beach Boys album on both CD and vinyl. I own the Smile Box, and all of Brian’s solo albums, and saw the 50th anniversary tour 4 times. But I’m just not a completist. Which means that I didn’t feel the compulsion to replace my two-fers with new stereo issues, or to buy Summer Love Songs for one rarity and some remixes. I certainly didn’t buy that ridiculous singles box with four songs on each of 28 CDs or whatever. For me, this box is full of stereo mixes that are entirely new to my collection!

Feel free to be disappointed, but I wouldn’t be so quick to attack Capital’s business plan, or to see this box as an attempt to fleece the Beach Boy’s hardcore fans. I think there is a very good market for this kind of set.

You forgot:

8.   The obsessive AND completist.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: June 21, 2013, 04:05:46 PM »

I disagree- this is a BB's message board named after Smiley Smile- it is a place for refuge and discussion among like minded people. We have a unique taste in music. Speaking on behalf of myself, I feel no need to drag it or anything down, just the need to discuss and vent amongst comrades- whether we agree or not. It's not like my co-workers have any clue what I talk about if I mention anything BB related. Dudes take things waaayyyyy to seriously on a BB message board. If something someone wrote is bothering you, then don't reply!! It's easy!! How many people get worked up for nothing! Need I bring up Phil Cohen?

At least if I complain about the price of MIC, that is something to me- my $$, and my all-time favorite music/art. Purchasing this set Aug 27th or waiting it out is quite the conundrum and it is apparent that feeling is shared among many super fans here.

No one is making anyone respond or even disuss these things. If it bothers someone then don't discuss it. It's simple. Just don't feel upset if people came to the SMILEY SMILE MB to vent about something they care deeply about.

Someone comes here, says they don't like the price of the box set, That's cool, your choice.
 Someone posts time and again they don't like the price, that's NOT discussing, that's WHINING

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: June 21, 2013, 04:09:39 PM »

I don't like the price of this boxset

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
james666
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: June 21, 2013, 04:18:01 PM »

For that matter, the Good Vibes box was transformative in how I looked at the band. I only had a hits collection and some BW albums. The attractive packaging and curated contents were appealing to someone who didn't know where to start, and didn't want to buy a bunch of obscure records.

It's worth remembering that in the mid-90s most of the Beach Boys' records were not just obscure but out of print.  In the UK, the only original albums on the shelves were Pet Sounds, Today/Summer Days, Smiley Smile/Wild Honey and Friends/20 20. On the GVBS the proportion of material that was unobtainable elsewhere was therefore about 60%.  We weren't talking ephemera like the backing track to Transcendental Meditation either but some of the Beach Boys' greatest work -  things like Till I Die, Surf's Up, This Whole World, Forever, not to mention about 80% of the Smile material that's worth hearing.  In those pre-Internet days the GVBS was an essential purchase for any new fan.  The case for spending £100 on a 6 CD set today is much, much less compelling.   A newcomer would surely be better advised to buy a few twofers from Amazon for about £5 each.
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: June 21, 2013, 06:16:38 PM »

Why is John Q. Public always a dude?

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: June 21, 2013, 06:24:01 PM »

f*** you for assuming that "John" must be a man, she could just as easily be a glorious, proud, independent womyn who simply doesn't conform to the oppressive naming standards of the straight white male cultural hegemony. Blah blah blah.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: June 21, 2013, 06:59:33 PM »

After the sex change she now is...
Jason
« Reply #1512 on: June 21, 2013, 07:03:14 PM »

f*** you for assuming that "John" must be a man, she could just as easily be a glorious, proud, independent womyn who simply doesn't conform to the oppressive naming standards of the straight white male cultural hegemony. Blah blah blah.

YONY SYSTERS UNYTE AGAYNST PATRYARCHY!
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: June 21, 2013, 07:10:25 PM »

To some extent perhaps. But there is still filler on here imo and getting this box would in way give the buyer all of the essential songs.

I think we must be using different definitions of "essential". Obviously I'm the kind of person who can find value in a lot of the less objectively-good stuff, but realistically I'd say that at most there are a hundred or so "essential" Beach Boys records -- things that matter either artistically, for their value to the band's history, or commercially.

If I were to make a list of those hundred, *at least* ninety would be on the box. The only ones I can think of that I'd include on such a list but which aren't on here are Don't Talk, the Smiley Wind Chimes, Still I Dream Of It and Then I Kissed Her, She Knows Me Too Well, and if we're including unreleased tracks Carry Me Home. And most of those would be at the low end of the list, the more debatable ones.

The GV box was about Smile being released and the fact that some of those 70s songs were unavailable at the time.

Those things *among others*. Certainly I bought it (and apparently Jon Blum did too) because I wanted "to get all the good stuff" after I'd picked up Pet Sounds, Endless Summer, the Smiley/Wild Honey twofer and Brian's first solo album...

Did you mistype this, or did you really mean to say that Then I Kissed Her is essential?  I've never seen or heard anyone say that before.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: June 21, 2013, 07:18:49 PM »

From the August 37 thread, for those who gave up on that thread:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/beach-boys-to-cap-50th-anniversary-with-career-spanning-box-set-20130611

It's up on Amazon US http://www.amazon.com/Made-California-Limited-Beach-Boys/dp/B008XZKSRY/r

Key points from the description

Made In California's previously unreleased and long sought-after recordings include 'Goin' To The Beach,' 'California Feelin',' 'Soul Searchin',' 'You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling,' and 'You're Still A Mystery,' among others. The set also debuts 17 unreleased live recordings, including 'Runaway' (1965), 'Friends' and 'Little Bird' (1968), 'Wild Honey' (1972), 'It's About Time' (1973), 'Wonderful' and 'Vegetables' from The Beach Boys' legendary 1993 acoustic tour, and a 1995 rendition of 'Sail On, Sailor' featuring a soulful lead vocal by the late Carl Wilson. The greatly missed talents of Carl and Dennis Wilson are also celebrated with rare and previously unreleased recordings including Dennis' '(Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again,' 'Barnyard Blues' and 'My Love Lives On,' Carl's lead vocals on 'Da Doo Ron Ron' and 'Soul Searchin',' and Carl's shared lead with Bruce and Brian on 'California Feelin'.'

The set also features a special 'From The Vaults' disc of rarities selected by the band and the producers with longtime Beach Boys fans in mind. Among the disc's highlights are a cappella mixes of standout vocal recordings for songs including 'This Whole World' and 'Slip On Through,' alternate versions of 'Don't Worry Baby' and other Beach Boys classics, session highlights and instrumental tracks, plus newly-discovered BBC Radio live recordings from 1964 of 'Wendy,' 'When I Grow Up (To Be A Man),' and 'Hushabye.'

GAH

I've been on vacation for 2 weeks and this thread has 61 PAGES!!!!!!!!!!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1515 on: June 21, 2013, 07:24:06 PM »

Did you mistype this, or did you really mean to say that Then I Kissed Her is essential?  I've never seen or heard anyone say that before.

In the UK and much of the rest of Europe it was one of their biggest hits, and gets a massive response at concerts. It's as essential on a career-spanning set as, say, Barbara Ann or Kokomo are...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: June 21, 2013, 07:32:06 PM »

The case for spending £100 on a 6 CD set today is much, much less compelling.   A newcomer would surely be better advised to buy a few twofers from Amazon for about £5 each.

All these complaints about a £100 price tag seem to be forgetting that that price will be going way down over the course of a few years.  And the box set will be readily available for years after the out-of-print twofers have fallen into obscurity...

Regards,
Jon Blum
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: June 21, 2013, 07:54:12 PM »

From now on, I'll refer to her as Jane Q. Public.

Nicko1234
« Reply #1518 on: June 21, 2013, 09:06:38 PM »

Nah, I don't thnk so. John Q will buy it or not. BUt he won't come on this message baord and constantly complain about the price, because why would he waste his time, and everyone else reading?
The buying public will see the box and make a decision whether to buy, but they don't have time to constantly carp about the price, nor do they care.

LOL

Customers of any product care about the price. That's pretty much a basic of economics.

The reason why it is mentioned again and again is because it is very relevant. For example, BJL made a very good post about all of the different kinds of people who may well be interested in the box set (and he mentioned price several times too). The problem is that from the definitions that he gave, many of those people will be put off from buying because of the current price.

All these complaints about a £100 price tag seem to be forgetting that that price will be going way down over the course of a few years.  And the box set will be readily available for years after the out-of-print twofers have fallen into obscurity...

Personally I was talking about the £80 price tag when mentioning that all those studio albums could be bought for cheaper than this price but I do agree that the price will/should go down over the coming years. I'm not sure Capitol are issuing this in the hope that people will buy it in 2023 or whatever though.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 12:23:09 AM by Nicko1234 » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: June 21, 2013, 09:27:01 PM »

I swear, if I read the words John Q Public again I'm going to kill something.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Nicko1234
« Reply #1520 on: June 21, 2013, 09:31:06 PM »

I swear, if I read the words John Q Public again I'm going to kill something.

A member of John Q Public presumably...
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: June 22, 2013, 12:20:58 AM »

7.   The obsessive but non-completist: I fall squarely into this category. I love the Beach Boys. I have tons of bootlegs. I read the Smiley Smile board and watch Stephen Desper’s amazing study videos. I own every released Beach Boys album on both CD and vinyl. I own the Smile Box, and all of Brian’s solo albums, and saw the 50th anniversary tour 4 times. But I’m just not a completist. Which means that I didn’t feel the compulsion to replace my two-fers with new stereo issues, or to buy Summer Love Songs for one rarity and some remixes. I certainly didn’t buy that ridiculous singles box with four songs on each of 28 CDs or whatever. For me, this box is full of stereo mixes that are entirely new to my collection!

Hey, this is me too, to a tee.

Right: it's me too.

...uh... except...

...I *did* buy the singles box...!

PS What can I say? I'd just finished a big project, had earned a decent couple of week's fees, and felt like rewarding myself. And the packaging's nice... er...

...but yes, on a 'cooler' day, I probably wouldn't have pressed "Add to your basket". It probably was a bit of a rip-off.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 12:31:06 AM by Matt Bielewicz » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: June 22, 2013, 12:41:12 AM »

Ok, let's see if I can try to steer the direction of this topic back to something constructive. A few days ago, AGD mentioned that there is a Brian led studio version of California Feeling that will never be released, even on an archival box set. The fact that he put a smiley at the end of his post makes me think that it's probably hilariously bad. I wonder if Andrew could possibly elaborate.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: June 22, 2013, 01:32:17 AM »

It's worth remembering that in the mid-90s most of the Beach Boys' records were not just obscure but out of print.  In the UK, the only original albums on the shelves were Pet Sounds, Today/Summer Days, Smiley Smile/Wild Honey and Friends/20 20. On the GVBS the proportion of material that was unobtainable elsewhere was therefore about 60%.  We weren't talking ephemera like the backing track to Transcendental Meditation either but some of the Beach Boys' greatest work -  things like Till I Die, Surf's Up, This Whole World, Forever, not to mention about 80% of the Smile material that's worth hearing.  In those pre-Internet days the GVBS was an essential purchase for any new fan.  The case for spending £100 on a 6 CD set today is much, much less compelling.   A newcomer would surely be better advised to buy a few twofers from Amazon for about £5 each.

A very good point wherever one stands in this discussion. However for any newcomer who buys a few twofers and is hit with the realisation that the band was more than a clutch of surf hits and Pet Sounds, the new box would make a great diving in point (funds prevailing).

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #1524 on: June 22, 2013, 03:50:31 AM »

Hey, I think, like, the people who like, like the boxset should like, have a  war or something with the people who don't. You know like a proper war with guns or something, and whoever wins is the persons who were right and the poeple who loses were wrong.

Just an idea, or somehting.....
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 ... 112 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx