gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 04:50:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 ... 112 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MiC up for order on Amazon, August release  (Read 441339 times)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: June 20, 2013, 11:27:08 AM »

you NUGGETSHEAD

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: June 20, 2013, 11:41:13 AM »

you NUGGETSHEAD
Chicken Nuggets or just Nuggets?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1452 on: June 20, 2013, 11:53:34 AM »

..sorry, but this mess is (even) older than the cheese in my fridge.

That makes me wonder..how old is the cheese in your fridge?
Got something like this laying around:

http://www.chicagoreader.com/Bleader/archives/2012/10/08/the-oldest-edible-cheese-in-the-world ?

Grin
LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: June 20, 2013, 12:10:26 PM »

Chicken nugget of depression head?

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: June 20, 2013, 12:12:09 PM »

May I offer a thought - does anyone here seriously think that when the "career-spanning" box was announced, it wouldn't include all the major hits ? That's what "career-spanning" means: Capitol didn't announce it as "a career-spanning box comprising purely rarities, deep cuts and archive material, sorry about the hits". More to the point, the initial announcement clearly stated there would be GH releases in tandem with the box... and by crackey, so there were.

Undecided  I just remember when all the swirl started-- a new album!! a career-spanning box set! w/ a cornucopia of super rare stuff!!!  And then 50 Big ones came out... and many thought that was the box... but then we heard it wasn't... so then the other box (in my mind) must be all rare stuff!!   Smokin

Ah well.  The box looks awesome.  But I'm warming to your simple advice.  I'm not buying it because of the asking price.

Hello.  My name is Bean Bag.  And I'm not buying the box set.   group hug

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1455 on: June 20, 2013, 12:33:27 PM »

How do you do, my name is John Q Public, yes that's my real name and a few months ago capitol called me and asked me what I wanted on the box set so I told them and so they did it.. John Q Public.

Post of the month.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Paulos
« Reply #1456 on: June 20, 2013, 01:01:30 PM »

May I offer a thought - does anyone here seriously think that when the "career-spanning" box was announced, it wouldn't include all the major hits ? That's what "career-spanning" means: Capitol didn't announce it as "a career-spanning box comprising purely rarities, deep cuts and archive material, sorry about the hits". More to the point, the initial announcement clearly stated there would be GH releases in tandem with the box... and by crackey, so there were.

Undecided  I just remember when all the swirl started-- a new album!! a career-spanning box set! w/ a cornucopia of super rare stuff!!!  And then 50 Big ones came out... and many thought that was the box... but then we heard it wasn't... so then the other box (in my mind) must be all rare stuff!!   Smokin

Ah well.  The box looks awesome.  But I'm warming to your simple advice.  I'm not buying it because of the asking price.

Hello.  My name is Bean Bag.  And I'm not buying the box set.   group hug

I think you will.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: June 20, 2013, 01:03:09 PM »

Undecided  I just remember when all the swirl started-- a new album!! a career-spanning box set! w/ a cornucopia of super rare stuff!!!  And then 50 Big ones came out... and many thought that was the box... but then we heard it wasn't... so then the other box (in my mind) must be all rare stuff!!   Smokin

Ah well.  The box looks awesome.  But I'm warming to your simple advice.  I'm not buying it because of the asking price.

Hello.  My name is Bean Bag.  And I'm not buying the box set.   group hug

I think you will.
or will illegally download it.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: June 20, 2013, 01:10:39 PM »

...or will wait like me until either the price comes down or Santa puts it under the Christmas tree. I'm sick of bending over without vaseline for this kind of product thaty always goes down in price. I'm a big fan of box sets and the books and such, but I've learned that patience is often rewarded.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: June 20, 2013, 01:14:57 PM »

...or will wait like me until either the price comes down or Santa puts it under the Christmas tree. I'm sick of bending over without vaseline for this kind of product thaty always goes down in price. I'm a big fan of box sets and the books and such, but I've learned that patience is often rewarded.
The price will come down to more reasonable levels and then there is always the used market where they will start popping up in early Autumn.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Paulos
« Reply #1460 on: June 20, 2013, 01:16:24 PM »

Ah, I can see the problem you're having now. You're trying to insert boxed sets into your anus, that's not what they are for. The Smile Sessions must have been incredibly painful for you...
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: June 20, 2013, 01:38:14 PM »

It's a shame no-one asked Joe Public (I'm sure you all know him) what he thought about the box.  He'd probably have wanted "We Got Love" on there.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1462 on: June 20, 2013, 02:01:41 PM »

It's not just for us nutbags who have 48 copies of "Barbara Ann".  It's for the guys who've got one or two.

Oh, and me?  After 15 years of being a Beach Boys fan, I've got two copies each of "Barbara Ann" and "Kokomo":  the random Greatest Hits I first bought them on, and the '93 box set.  (ETA:  plus the live "Barbara Ann" from Knebworth, I missed that.

Well, Kokomo is easier to avoid. I've only got two copies of that, too. But Barbara Ann... if you're a fan, the thing is like a sticky dog turd... once you've got it, it keeps cropping up in unexpected places. Like you, I have the track on a Greatest Hits that kicked off my interest in the group, and also on the GV box. I thought that was it; I'm not wild about live material so I don't have Knebworth.

...but then, I realised the damn thing is on Hawthorne, CA, as well. *Surely* most people here have a copy of that?

And of course, as a fan of the studio backing tracks, I had to have the 1990s Party/Stack of Tracks twofer for Stack Of Tracks (and for what is still, I believe, the only official release of the California Girls backing track)... so I get the original, unexpurgated horror on there in the Party half of the album, too. (Fortunately, apart from Barbara bloody Ann, it turns out I quite like Party in spots, so it wasn't all bad).

And my first EVER album by the Boys, a badly scratched vinyl copy of Live In London which my parents used to own, has the track on it AGAIN. So that's five... and I confess I did upgrade that via a copy of the 1990s Concert/Live In London twofer years later, for old times' sake. So technically I suppose I have six copies of it, if you're counting vinyl and CD copies of the same thing as distinct.

Jeez. Six copies of a track I hate. And I thought I was being careful. It's like nails down a blackboard to me, or that snippet of 'I Got You Babe' to Phil Connors every morning in Groundhog Day. As soon as I hear that little fragment of laughter and the vocal going 'A-Ba, bah-bah, bah-Barbara Ann...' I just want to leap across the room and turn the damn thing off.

And MiC will make seven. Anyone managed to get a lower Barbara Ann count, while still being a fan?

EDIT: Oh no!! I have the damn thing on bootlegs, too!!!! I forgot those!!!!!! So put me down for another TWO renditions on the SOT Live box (in the Michigan 66 Live set), which I got for the Lei'd In Hawaii Wally Heider Sessions... and of course I have the SOT Party sessions too... so that's TEN!

EDIT AGAIN: AAAAArrrGGGHHHH!!!!!! DEATH!!!! DEATH!!!!!! It's in the solo Brian stuff, too!!!! I have a bootleg recording of a solo Brian concert at the Festival Hall in London, and the Live At The Roxy album, of course. And what does he encore with at both...?

That's 12 and counting, once MiC is in my hands... I feel like Barbara Ann is the endo-parasite steadily taking over my Beach Boys collection... [croaks] Vira, kill me! Kill me now!!!!

In all seriousness, I guess the live version on Live in London with the horns isn't THAT bad... Wink

You ARE Barbara Ann! Grin

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: June 20, 2013, 05:03:32 PM »

I can't believe that nothing from this thread was on the recent posts lists! Guess now it's back on with this!
KokoNO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: June 20, 2013, 10:27:17 PM »

To some extent perhaps. But there is still filler on here imo and getting this box would in way give the buyer all of the essential songs.

I think we must be using different definitions of "essential". Obviously I'm the kind of person who can find value in a lot of the less objectively-good stuff, but realistically I'd say that at most there are a hundred or so "essential" Beach Boys records -- things that matter either artistically, for their value to the band's history, or commercially.

If I were to make a list of those hundred, *at least* ninety would be on the box. The only ones I can think of that I'd include on such a list but which aren't on here are Don't Talk, the Smiley Wind Chimes, Still I Dream Of It and Then I Kissed Her, She Knows Me Too Well, and if we're including unreleased tracks Carry Me Home. And most of those would be at the low end of the list, the more debatable ones.

In case you missed it, I did a rundown earlier in this thread of what isn't on this box in any form that was in our Top 100 in the songs poll that I conducted last spring.

Not counting  "Hang On To Your Ego" (which doesn't need to be counted for the sake of this exercise), It appears that 77 of the Top 100 tracks are represented on this box set in some capacity.

Note: Realized just now that "Child Is The Father Of The Man" is included in the 1971 version of "Surf's Up" which is on the box set, so I'm going to adjust the total and consider that track to be included on the boxed set. It ranked 54th on the list in case you were wondering.

Missing Tracks From Pet Sounds (And Where They Ranked):

You Still Believe In Me (#20)
Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder) (#32)
I'm Waiting For The Day (#35)
I Know There's An Answer (#36)
Here Today (#39)
That's Not Me (#40)
Let's Go Away For Awhile (#48)
Pet Sounds (#54)

Missing Tracks From Smile (And Where They Ranked):

Do You Like Worms (Roll Plymouth Rock) (#74)
I Love To Say Da-Da (#77)
Look (Song For Children) (#95, 94th for this exercise)

Other Missing Tracks From The List (And Where They Ranked):

Cool, Cool Water (#38)
All I Wanna Do (#46)
She Knows Me Too Well (#49)
Long Promised Road (#50)
Girl Don't Tell Me (#84)
A Day In The Life Of A Tree (#85)
Cuddle Up (#86)
Wake The World (#87)
Funky Pretty (#90)
Still I Dream Of It (#91)
Good To My Baby (#92)
Here Comes The Night (#100, 99th for this exercise)

Tracks From The List That Are On The Boxed Set In Radically Different Versions:

Can't Wait Too Long (A Capella) (#59)
Hushabye (BBC Recording) (#67)
You're So Good To Me (Live) (#82)
Our Sweet Love (Vocals/Strings version) (#96, 95th for this exercise)
Only With You (Live) (#98, 97th for this exercise)

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?topic=12131

So as far as group consensus goes, you're a little off about 90 of the band's best tracks being on the box as 77 are represented in some capacity, leaving 23 of the Top 100 missing.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 10:34:01 PM by KokoNO » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: June 20, 2013, 11:09:20 PM »

http://www.chicagoreader.com/Bleader/archives/2012/10/08/the-oldest-edible-cheese-in-the-world ?

Grin
LOL
Am I weird for really wanting to try some?  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: June 21, 2013, 03:45:06 AM »

May I offer a thought - does anyone here seriously think that when the "career-spanning" box was announced, it wouldn't include all the major hits ?

Since when does having been warned mean that you're not allowed to be disappointed? Yes, I expected this box to be sort of an updated version of the GV box, but I thought it would be better to wait with complaining until the rumors, the little bits of information and the vague hints turned into official facts. Makes sense, doesn't it?

I know that Capitol and The Beach Boys have every right to offer us whatever they want for whatever price, and that nobody is forcing me to buy anything. But regardless of all that, I'm just seriously bummed about my favorite band (or it's label, whatever) wilfully ripping off it's biggest and most loyal fans. Because that's what they're doing.

MIC was compiled with one single target audience in mind: the hardcore fans. Casual fans do not care about rarities and unreleased material, you don't need a song that was cut from an album if you don't even have that album. And nobody spends $100+ on a few CDs by a band that they just casually like. "John Q. Public" will be perfectly content with '50 Big Ones' and a copy of 'Pet Sounds', and if he's feeling really adventurous he might get 'The Smile Sessions' or a random 2fer on top of that, but that will be more than enough.

Capitol knows very well that 95% of everyone who will buy MIC are people who already have everything but still want more. They also know that The Beach Boys have such a big and messy discography that the serious completists have already spend hundreds or even thousands on their collections. And they know that anyone who has already invested so much won't let his collection become painfully incomplete by not buying a new release that has almost 60 unreleased tracks. So they know that the target group will want - no, wait - NEED these songs regardless of how they're sold and for what price. They might as well have packaged two rarities discs with bronze replicas of John Stamos' bongos.

So our favorite band had something to celebrate. And as a present we, the loyal fans, are getting the two CDs worth or rarities that we were hoping for. A 2 CD set would be around $20, right? But guess what, Capitol found a way to get an additional $100+ out of us. Simply because they can.

But hey, we can't complain because we already knew this a year ago...

(BTW, does anybody know why the people in Syria are making such a fuss about Assad? They already knew for years that the guy was no good, didn't they?).
Nicko1234
« Reply #1467 on: June 21, 2013, 05:57:10 AM »

(BTW, does anybody know why the people in Syria are making such a fuss about Assad? They already knew for years that the guy was no good, didn't they?).

LOL
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: June 21, 2013, 07:35:42 AM »

Grin
LOL
Am I weird for really wanting to try some?  Grin

Not at all! Though.. imagine the smell! :D

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: June 21, 2013, 08:09:01 AM »

Nothing like a sense of proportion, eh?

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1470 on: June 21, 2013, 08:39:50 AM »

Nothing like a sense of proportion, eh?

Or a sense of humor, for that matter.
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: June 21, 2013, 08:51:25 AM »

Or a sense of humor, for that matter.

Notice how that's the part they picked out of your entire post?  We're not allowed to express disappointment.  AGD told us that Capitol reads our forum and if people are not happy with the box it will be pulled.  Or something along those lines.  Smiley  All your points are valid.  The box is not aimed at casual fans, but those who want more rarities.  And those people have already bought everything and then some.  So we are getting 33% new stuff, but most of that is live and other remixes.  Boner?  I know.  AGD takes criticism of the tracklisting so badly, you'd wonder if he personally put it together himself.  And his minions here are suddenly willing to fork over any amount of money and defend everything Capitol does as if they are afraid to hurt Brian's feelings when Brian can't care less.  The message board is no longer discussion, it's leave if you don't like everything.  It's like the old Blueboard 2.0.  I don't remember the thought police descending on those discussing the new live album who were hoping other tracks would have been included.  But this box is a different animal.  The same old stuff with a larger price tag.  Lube up!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1472 on: June 21, 2013, 08:54:29 AM »

MIC was compiled with one single target audience in mind: the hardcore fans.

Were that the case - and it's patently not - then none of the hits would have been included. A shining example of a set aimed squarely at the hardcore fanbase is Hawthorne CA. MiC was compiled to appeal to as many people as possible.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 08:56:29 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1473 on: June 21, 2013, 08:57:35 AM »

Not with that pricetag. Nigel G. Commonman would reach for the smelling salts!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1474 on: June 21, 2013, 09:01:26 AM »

AGD told us that Capitol reads our forum and if people are not happy with the box it will be pulled.  Or something along those lines.  Smiley 

Reading and comprehension not your strong point, is it ?

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 ... 112 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx