gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 11:44:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 112 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MiC up for order on Amazon, August release  (Read 440666 times)
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: June 19, 2013, 06:27:19 AM »

Does anyone have an idea what or who wrote I Believe In Miracles ?

my preference:

1. A BB original
2. A cover of Marty Balin's 7-minute song about cunnilingus from Jefferson Starship's 'Red Octopus' jeff
3. That crappy disco song (You Sexy Thing).
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: June 19, 2013, 06:31:05 AM »

Does anyone have an idea what or who wrote I Believe In Miracles ?

my preference:

1. A BB original
2. A cover of Marty Balin's 7-minute song about cunnilingus from Jefferson Starship's 'Red Octopus' jeff
3. That crappy disco song (You Sexy Thing).

It'll almost certainly be a BB original, but I'd actually like it to be a typo for a cover version of Colin Blunstone's magnificent I Don't Believe In Miracles. Chances are several billion to one against, though.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: June 19, 2013, 06:32:21 AM »

Al would do a great version of You Sexy Thing.

Or I might have caught the sun somewhat....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: June 19, 2013, 06:39:12 AM »

People were discussing how they would listen to the MIC box set on another thread...this or that track/ disc first, custome mixes for iPod or new CD burn, etc etc.

To tell the truth I am by no means "burned-out" on any of the early songs/ hits and will enjoy just about any of it at home or in my car "as-is" on the factory CDs.

Its summertime here in the U.S. and BB & J&D tunes reign supreme in our world.  Grin

I would have liked MIC to have had a May release date but I will get by.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: June 19, 2013, 06:41:05 AM »

Will you take a cheque (the darned box had gone up tuppence by the time I ordered it so this is no small offer y'know…)

“We live in divisive times.”
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1305 on: June 19, 2013, 07:48:57 AM »

How many people who bought TSS actually played the vinyl? As someone who is not set up with turntables, I might as well have been buying four pieces of black plastic. Always felt a little ripped off by that myself ...

Actually, I played the vinyl first...starting with the two 45s.

I played the H&V 45, The LP [bar side 4] and the Vega 45. Then the CDs from You're Welcome.

I've played the LP many many mnay MANY mroe times than the CD or digital file.

And Apparently I have 9 Kokomo's and
48 BARBARA-FLIPPIN'-ANN'S

72 here - that includes live- and Brian Wilson releases. 78 if i count covers  Grin

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1306 on: June 19, 2013, 07:52:17 AM »

Since Mike got to finish Goin to the Beach, Brian should have put some vocals on Kokomo - he was always upset that he didn't participate in the recording.

That's a very weird idea that I like a lot. Smiley

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: June 19, 2013, 08:03:43 AM »

Why wait ? Do it now - as has been pointed out here by far more knowledgeable fans than I, it's two-thirds hits anyway, so obviously no need to actually listen to it.
Seriously?

Alright Doe.  I'm tired of this... as probably everyone is.  But.. I compute it's 38% new to fans -- and 62% not new to fans.  Right?  I'm happy to be wrong on that.  It's going off of your latest highlighted list.  Thank you for that by the way.

I never said I was more knowledgeable than you on Beach Boys or MIC-related matters.  If you're "close" to the project or whatever -- that's great.  But, the fact remains, it's over priced for what I want.  It doesn't have some things I did want.  And now... who knows when I, ME, or WE will get those.

Not everyone here (and elsewhere) is towing the line on this.  I'm guessing (just guessing) -- but I, ME, WE are in the majority and you're in the minority since, I assume, most fans don't hang out here, posting their reaction.  The fact that a lot of folks who actually do post here are less than ankle-grabbing over the price-to-new ratio, ought to be cause for reflection -- rather than the snarky insults and insulated calls to "just don't buy it then."

I'm bummed a little, BECAUSE I'm a fan and I want the unreleased stuff on here.  For Pete's sake I've bought all the twofers, remasters -- and the comps, just to get the nuggets therein.  Yes, the nugget ratio is actually good here compared to those comps.  But, I'm not gonna be your punching bag for pointing out that it's still 2/3* of a re-buy for a very elitist price.

*5/8
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 08:05:11 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1308 on: June 19, 2013, 08:06:27 AM »

Anyone else notice that Surf's Up 1967 is noted as a 2012 mix? What does that mean??? Is it another take? Same track different mix? Or just a typo?

IIRC they found two different takes by Brian from the Wild Honey sessions. This might be that other take.

Actually I thought it was THREe runs-through that Alan and Mark found.

No joke...I thought it was four  LOL

I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition! Cheesy

How many people who bought TSS actually played the vinyl? As someone who is not set up with turntables, I might as well have been buying four pieces of black plastic. Always felt a little ripped off by that myself ...

The day I bought TSS, I listened to fresh vinyl copies of Today, Summer Days, and Pet Sounds, and then, the vinyl TSS SMiLE. That was that for the day. I started to listen to the CDs the next day.

Not counting physical releases, I have 62 versions of Barbara Ann on my computer. I hate Barbara Ann.

You're a masochist! Cheesy

I have one Kokomo, on the GV box. I love Barbara Ann.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: June 19, 2013, 08:18:47 AM »

Why wait ? Do it now - as has been pointed out here by far more knowledgeable fans than I, it's two-thirds hits anyway, so obviously no need to actually listen to it.
Seriously?

Alright Doe.  I'm tired of this... as probably everyone is.  But.. I compute it's 38% new to fans -- and 62% not new to fans.  Right?  I'm happy to be wrong on that.  It's going off of your latest highlighted list.  Thank you for that by the way.

I never said I was more knowledgeable than you on Beach Boys or MIC-related matters.  If you're "close" to the project or whatever -- that's great.  But, the fact remains, it's over priced for what I want.  It doesn't have some things I did want.  And now... who knows when I, ME, or WE will get those.

Not everyone here (and elsewhere) is towing the line on this.  I'm guessing (just guessing) -- but I, ME, WE are in the majority and you're in the minority since, I assume, most fans don't hang out here, posting their reaction.  The fact that a lot of folks who actually do post here are less than ankle-grabbing over the price-to-new ratio, ought to be cause for reflection -- rather than the snarky insults and insulated calls to "just don't buy it then."

I'm bummed a little, BECAUSE I'm a fan and I want the unreleased stuff on here.  For Pete's sake I've bought all the twofers, remasters -- and the comps, just to get the nuggets therein.  Yes, the nugget ratio is actually good here compared to those comps.  But, I'm not gonna be your punching bag for pointing out that it's still 2/3* of a re-buy for a very elitist price.

*5/8
Agreed, Bean Bag. Buying the smile box for a big price was one thing since it was the first official release of the album, but MIC has two CDs of stuff the fans already have, so the box is really four cds for $130 for the hardcores.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: June 19, 2013, 08:22:36 AM »

Not counting physical releases, I have 62 versions of Barbara Ann on my computer. I hate Barbara Ann.

You're a masochist! Cheesy

I have one Kokomo, on the GV box. I love Barbara Ann.

I have 85 on the Mac… who knows how many on CD/vinyl/DVD etc etc etc.  The Mac collection includes one by the Regents, which I guess doesn't count, as well as a handful of BW live versions and one by the Endless Summer Beach Band, which perhaps might.

What does one (or two) more matter!

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: June 19, 2013, 08:27:05 AM »

A sizable amount of the Smile set was stuff that fans already had, too. And much of it -- most likely a couple of discs worth -- had been previously released.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: June 19, 2013, 08:29:11 AM »

Look, it's expensive for me too. It's expensive, period! But this is what we were told we were getting, so quit bitching and buck up and buy it (the price should come down), or don't bother. @ Bean Bag & Shady: Are you two grown-ups or kids? If kids, then excuse my little rant.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 08:30:13 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: June 19, 2013, 08:34:53 AM »

Also -- only 17 versions of Barbara Ann for me. I'm clearly a lightweight. Cheesy
Tristero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: June 19, 2013, 08:38:38 AM »

A sizable amount of the Smile set was stuff that fans already had, too. And much of it -- most likely a couple of discs worth -- had been previously released.
Of course, but it was the freakin' official release of the Beach Boys' Smile, decades in the making!  For fans of that era, it had more cachet than another career spanning box with the usual suspects.  Also, in that case, we had the option of the more reasonably priced two disc edition for people who are on a budget.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: June 19, 2013, 08:41:06 AM »

Of course, but it was the freakin' official release of the Beach Boys' Smile, decades in the making!  For fans of that era, it had more cachet than another career spanning box with the usual suspects.  Also, in that case, we had the option of the more reasonably priced two disc edition for people who are on a budget.

Y'r right… I've five copies of the 2CD version (I've given a couple away) as my budget's really tight …   Huh

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: June 19, 2013, 08:42:26 AM »

Of course, but it was the freakin' official release of the Beach Boys' Smile, decades in the making!  For fans of that era, it had more cachet than another career spanning box with the usual suspects.  Also, in that case, we had the option of the more reasonably priced two disc edition for people who are on a budget.

Y'r right… I've five copies of the 2CD version (I've given a couple away) as my budget's really tight …   Huh

You guys also had the single disc CD too, John?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: June 19, 2013, 08:45:19 AM »

What I don't get is people complaining about songs that haven't been included that they've already heard and most likely already own

Easy.  Because improved sound quality is always sought after.  Not to mention the desire that more fans become aware of lost gems.

What I don't get is why do 5-10 new tracks out of 174 give so many people here boners and a willingness to open the wallet?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 08:54:11 AM by TV Forces » Logged
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: June 19, 2013, 08:47:13 AM »

It's currently at number 24 in box sets on Amazon UK, despite the fact that there are two months left until it comes out, and that other than the Complete Works of Benjamin Britten the most expensive thing in the top thirty is £37 cheaper. (In fact there are only five box sets in the top forty that are over thirty pounds).

Clearly there is a *large* number of people who don't take your attitude.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: June 19, 2013, 08:47:38 AM »

27.   Soulful Old Man Sunshine

Andrew, I've been holding out hope that SOMS would either be a new remix, or a heretofore unheard vintage mix by Steve Desper.  Is this a hint?   Smiley

Lee
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1320 on: June 19, 2013, 08:47:58 AM »

Look, it's expensive for me too. It's expensive, period! But this is what we were told we were getting, so quit bitching and buck up and buy it (the price should come down), or don't bother. @ Bean Bag & Shady: Are you two grown-ups or kids? If kids, then excuse my little rant.

Quite.

Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: June 19, 2013, 08:51:44 AM »

Just for yucks, and setting aside for a moment the fact that we're all a bunch of geeks with collections far larger that they legally should be, below please find listed the material on the box which will be new to John Q. Public.

Soulful Old Man Shunshine isn't new, unless it's just the new title.

And neither is the 2009 Fallin in Love.

On the other hand, Susie Cincinatti 2012 mix will be "new."
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: June 19, 2013, 09:01:10 AM »

Maybe not the loftiest perch on the high-ground, but at least it's understandable.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: June 19, 2013, 09:06:35 AM »

You guys also had the single disc CD too, John?

Yes but I only splashed out on one copy; and a vinyl LP; and the big box; and the 2CD set as a download. I have to watch my budget.

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: June 19, 2013, 09:11:53 AM »

It's currently at number 24 in box sets on Amazon UK, despite the fact that there are two months left until it comes out, and that other than the Complete Works of Benjamin Britten the most expensive thing in the top thirty is £37 cheaper. (In fact there are only five box sets in the top forty that are over thirty pounds).

Clearly there is a *large* number of people who don't take your attitude.
Yeah I saw that.  It's regular sales rank was high too.  But that doesn't mean their sentiment or "attitude" is foreign to mine.  I pre-order stuff all the time with their pre-order price guarantee -- hoping and assuming -- the price dips down at some point.  Regardless, another career retrospective is what it is, and they could likely have similar feelings than the many here.  Doesn't make anyone a "cretin."
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 09:16:08 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 112 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx