gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 12:59:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tell us about your Beach Boys collection  (Read 106951 times)
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 09, 2014, 12:02:14 PM »

Love it! Grin. Do you normally have it all out on display?
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 09, 2014, 12:33:01 PM »

No, I just pulled it out for the video. I keep all my vinyls in crates, and the other things have their own places too. Thanks for watching Afro

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 10, 2014, 02:52:03 PM »

I also like the SMiLE mug!  I'll need to get one of those.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 21, 2014, 03:17:16 AM »

I have all the official albums (except the live double), the 30 Years and PSS box sets and the one-CD edition of TSS----plus a modest consignment of unofficial stuff. Solo things? The two Carl albums, POB and BWPS. A few LPs: original mono pressings (more or less permanently on loan from my brother) of Surfin' Safari, Surfer Girl and All Summer Long plus Surf's Up! (had to have that full-size cover!) and LA.

All these were acquired since 2002 (Brian's Palace performance, to be precise). After a white-hot period of adulation, Beach Boys Burnout set in (a familiar story, I'm told) but now they are back as my joint favourite artists (with other long-time favourites Captain Beefheart and Gary Numan and recent discovery U2).

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Carl Forever
Smiley Smile Associate

yabba dabba do

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 26, 2014, 06:40:42 PM »

So cool,brian WIlsons Business Cards. even has his home phone # from back when he was at home in Hawthorne
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=201060514345&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 26, 2014, 08:22:55 PM »

So cool,brian WIlsons Business Cards. even has his home phone # from back when he was at home in Hawthorne
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=201060514345&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

OH         MY                 GOD    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   
The same seller also has the impossible to find  super desirable John Stamos/ Beach Boys guitar pick......

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 27, 2014, 05:29:14 PM »

Got Two neat new additions for my Programme collection today, Both from November!!  
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 07:19:49 AM by bgas » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 28, 2014, 01:49:15 AM »

Got Two neat new additions for my Programme collection today, Both from November!! 
First, from November 3 1966  is the  Falkoner Centret, Torsdagm, Denmark. This one includes a handwritten recap of their 10 song setlist, by whomever originally owned it: 
1 HMR, 2 YSGTM,  3 It has either/both? SS or GV( something odd here), 4 WIBN, 5 FFF, 6 SUSA, 7 IGA, 8 DYWD ( Dennis), 9 BA, 10 JBG. 
Torsdag (no m) is Danish for Thursday. The Falconer Centre (Falkoner Centret) is in Frederiksberg (de facto a district of Copenhagen, formally a separate town). (AGD makes the same mistake in his "Shows & Sessions".)

Found this set list for that gig, if it's any help. The uploader wasn't there----he hadn't been born yet:

http://beachyard.blogspot.nl/2012/05/beach-boys-live-1966-11-03-copenhagen.html

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 28, 2014, 05:34:21 AM »

First, from November 3 1966  is the  Falkoner Centret, Torsdagm, Denmark. This one includes a handwritten recap of their 10 song setlist, by whomever originally owned it: 
1 HMR, 2 YSGTM,  3 It has either/both? SS or GV( something odd here), 4 WIBN, 5 FFF, 6 SUSA, 7 IGA, 8 DYWD ( Dennis), 9 BA, 10 JBG. 
Torsdag (no m) is Danish for Thursday. The Falconer Centre (Falkoner Centret) is in Frederiksberg (de facto a district of Copenhagen, formally a separate town). (AGD makes the same mistake in his "Shows & Sessions".)

Found this set list for that gig, if it's any help. The uploader wasn't there----he hadn't been born yet:

http://beachyard.blogspot.nl/2012/05/beach-boys-live-1966-11-03-copenhagen.html

Interesting. Have to check with him and see where he got his list

VanDykeParksAndRec
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 28, 2014, 11:27:10 AM »

As a kid, my parents were given a stereo cabinet to listen to some of their old LP's on.  The one I remember playing most was my dad's Endless Summer.

Now I'm 22, and around Christmas, I stumbled on a couple BB Vinyl, including an "I Get Around" Picture sleeve.  I got  pretty good deal on it (well my girlfriend bought it for me.) I told the guy I wasn't really a collector and he said "Well you should be" and I immediately thought "Yea, I should"

About a week later, when visiting home (Michigan)  I came across a copy of "Brian Loves You"  when doing some research I realised it was a pretty cool piece to have, and I would say that took it to the next level.  I also got my Smile Sessions LP at the same time, that changed my life.

I don't like to buy Beach Boys online, it's one of those I really like to come across which usually has a nice story behind it, and I really only collect their vinyl.  My modest  list is:

LP's:
Party!
Christmas Album
Beach Boys Deluxe Box Set (Today, ASL, Pet Sounds)
Pet Sounds (Green Label Mono Reissue)
SMiLE Sessions
SMiLE Sea of Tunes Green LP
Friends
Friends/Smiley Smile 2fer
Wild Honey/20/20 2fer
Sunflower- Promo White Label
Surf's Up- Promo White Label
Holland+7"
Endless Summer
Brian Loves You
Love You
3 Good Vibrations Compilations

7"
I get Around/Don't Worry Baby w/ PS
California Girls/LHRW w/ PS
Sloop John B/YSGtM w/ PS
Wouldn't it be Nice/God Only Knows
Fun, Fun, Fun/WDFFiL
Wild Honey/Wind Chimes

BW 7"s

Good Vibrations/GV Live
Wonderful/Windchimes- Blue vinyl
Cabinessence/Wonderful- MoJo release

Not bad for 5 months of collecting

Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: March 29, 2014, 02:00:41 PM »

About a week later, when visiting home (Michigan)  I came across a copy of "Brian Loves You"  when doing some research I realised it was a pretty cool piece to have, and I would say that took it to the next level. 

Do you mind me asking how much you paid for that? There's a local dealer here that's been trying to sell me a copy for $100 and I just can't see paying anywhere close to that for it. I've never paid more than $35 for any of my other vinyl boots, but they're usually so rare that they're hard to valuate.

I don't like to buy Beach Boys online, it's one of those I really like to come across which usually has a nice story behind it, and I really only collect their vinyl.

I'm with you here. Buying online feels like cheating - the thrill of the hunt is a lot of the fun. If you're patient and know what to look for, you'll be surprised at the things you'll just stumble upon and for way better value then you'd buy online usually.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 29, 2014, 02:13:21 PM »

About a week later, when visiting home (Michigan)  I came across a copy of "Brian Loves You"  when doing some research I realised it was a pretty cool piece to have, and I would say that took it to the next level. 

Do you mind me asking how much you paid for that? There's a local dealer here that's been trying to sell me a copy for $100 and I just can't see paying anywhere close to that for it. I've never paid more than $35 for any of my other vinyl boots, but they're usually so rare that they're hard to valuate.

I don't like to buy Beach Boys online, it's one of those I really like to come across which usually has a nice story behind it, and I really only collect their vinyl.

I'm with you here. Buying online feels like cheating - the thrill of the hunt is a lot of the fun. If you're patient and know what to look for, you'll be surprised at the things you'll just stumble upon and for way better value then you'd buy online usually.

On the first, I think you'd have to be crazy....   

for the second:  everybody has their own way out....  I'm VERY happy to buy online.  Whatever it takes to get the "things" I want is the way that works for me! 
Now if I can just find out when Jim M. won't be home....

Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 29, 2014, 02:32:25 PM »

On the first, I think you'd have to be crazy....   

for the second:  everybody has their own way out....  I'm VERY happy to buy online.  Whatever it takes to get the "things" I want is the way that works for me! 
Now if I can just find out when Jim M. won't be home....

I would be really surprised if he sold it to anyone at that price, so maybe he'll come around when he realizes it's not worth that much to anyone.

Maybe someday when I'm all grown up and my collection is only missing 2 acetates and a bag of potato chips, I'll start cruising eBay more often.  Grin
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 29, 2014, 02:39:07 PM »

most of my 'goodies' are because of eBay and being online........... being in Australia too....... we don't have a lot to pick from....

so I love 'online' shopping and buying no matter what it costs..... just to get it..

RickB
MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 29, 2014, 02:46:03 PM »

Hi all,

The next time I go to FYE at my local mall I will have to look at the Beach Boys CDs again.  Also, I will ask the manager to order a Brian Wilson CD from the FYE in NYC. 
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 29, 2014, 03:18:59 PM »

Hi all,

The next time I go to FYE at my local mall I will have to look at the Beach Boys CDs again.  Also, I will ask the manager to order a Brian Wilson CD from the FYE in NYC. 

probably be cheaper to get the cds online...

VanDykeParksAndRec
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 29, 2014, 06:44:34 PM »

Amanda,

I paid $25.  There are a couple online for sale here and there.  I think 2 I have seen. 

I also buy online, but usually only when I have found it in person and know I can get it for less  Razz
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 30, 2014, 02:30:05 PM »

Amanda,

I paid $25.  There are a couple online for sale here and there.  I think 2 I have seen. 

I also buy online, but usually only when I have found it in person and know I can get it for less  Razz

Thanks! That seems more reasonable, I'll probably try to talk that guy down if I see him again.
WesB8302
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm thinkin' bout this whole world...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: March 30, 2014, 09:01:23 PM »

So here is my collection, though since this picture was taken I have added the 2 CD version of The Smile Sessions and the Made In California box.  I still scour antique stores, thrift stores, etc. trying to find BB vinyl.  My copy of the Surfer Girl LP is in pretty nice shape, and the Endless Summer still has the poster as well.   This does not include the Brian Wilson CDs that I have.  Started with the BB'85 album, the two-fers (1990) and the cassettes.  The cassette without a case is Still Cruisin'.

HELP!  I can't find the "Any" key....
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 22, 2014, 01:01:52 PM »

I admit I don't care too much about tour programs... except for the Dutch ones! They only toured here 4 times, so anything I can find from those tours I'd like to obtain, As far as I know, there's not a Dutch program of the 1972 Europe tour, so I end up looking for the 3 that I know of, 2 of which are hyper rare. The 1980 is the more common one with the KTSA cover. The June 1969 and December 1970 are the tough ones to get. So how big's the chance:
1. to find both of them within a month?
2. to find them totally by coincidence?
3. to get one of them autographed by 4 out 5 BB members?
4. they cost you 20 Euro in total (including the LP's)?

My guess is once in a life time. Found the 1970 one last month tucked inside a Live In London LP. And earlier today the 1969 one added with a Concert album, signed by DW, BJ, AJ and ML (only Carl's sig is missing)

1969 is on the left (or top), 1970 is on the right (or below)

O, and don't worry, bgas, next one of these I find, is for you.  Smiley

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: April 26, 2014, 02:19:33 AM »

Currently my collection consists of:

1 - the CDs

2 - the DVDs

3 - the books.

Everything else - vinyl, magazines, memorabilia and general "stuff" - was lost two years ago.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 26, 2014, 05:02:07 AM »

1 - the CDs

2 - the DVDs

3 - the books.

Everything else - vinyl, magazines, memorabilia and general "stuff" - was lost two years ago.
Lost----oh man, that's awful.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 26, 2014, 05:34:35 AM »

1 - the CDs

2 - the DVDs

3 - the books.

How do you lose that much stuff?  Moving? an ex takes off with it?  Storm damage?

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 26, 2014, 06:12:54 AM »

1 - the CDs

2 - the DVDs

3 - the books.

How do you lose that much stuff?  Moving? an ex takes off with it?  Storm damage?

Freak Worm hole?

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 26, 2014, 06:26:48 AM »

1 - the CDs

2 - the DVDs

3 - the books.

Freak Worm hole?
Or donated to the british museum? Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx