gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681427 Posts in 27636 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 06, 2024, 04:04:28 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tell us about your Beach Boys collection  (Read 107847 times)
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 08, 2013, 12:14:14 PM »

I'm gonna stick mine up in a ton of photos this weekend 3:)

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 08, 2013, 03:04:40 PM »

South Africa has been good for me. During our holiday I was able to extend my collection a bit...   (18,5 kilograms of vinyl in my suitcase... I'm surprised my wife let me get away with this ...   Grin )

Almost everything is S.A. vinyl. I'm especially happy with the Surfin' 'Round The World LP. Left row is all Flames reissues or compilations on 16 2/3 (!!) RPM (containing Flames as well). The 20 Golden Greats (2nd row) is a Rhodesian pressing. And the Keef Heartly Band LP cover was reason enough to buy it. Got me some 45 variations I didn't have yet (including Friends / Cherry Cherry Coupe). Unique cover variations of the Shut Down Vol. II and Live In London LP. And the 20/20 variations are quite cool too!

That's a cool haul of vinyl! Hope to see some of those 45s at The Beach Boys on 45.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 08, 2013, 10:49:17 PM »

That's a cool haul of vinyl! Hope to see some of those 45s at The Beach Boys on 45.

Some of those will, yes. There's a few variations (label colour, font variations) we don't show om the website yet. But I also found a few we show on the website, that were still lacking in my collection.
But before I start with these, I need to work on additions that were sent to us during my absence. And there's a new country almost ready to be added.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 09, 2013, 02:06:48 AM »

South Africa has been good for me. During our holiday I was able to extend my collection a bit...   (18,5 kilograms of vinyl in my suitcase... I'm surprised my wife let me get away with this ...   Grin )

Almost everything is S.A. vinyl. I'm especially happy with the Surfin' 'Round The World LP. Left row is all Flames reissues or compilations on 16 2/3 (!!) RPM (containing Flames as well). The 20 Golden Greats (2nd row) is a Rhodesian pressing. And the Keef Heartly Band LP cover was reason enough to buy it. Got me some 45 variations I didn't have yet (including Friends / Cherry Cherry Coupe). Unique cover variations of the Shut Down Vol. II and Live In London LP. And the 20/20 variations are quite cool too!

Was 20/20 issued under the title "Cottonfields"?  Reissued?

“We live in divisive times.”
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 09, 2013, 04:45:47 AM »

Was 20/20 issued under the title "Cottonfields"?  Reissued?

Yep, I have 3 South African variations now.
- 20/20 printed on the sleeve (mirrored on the back)
- Cottonfields stickered over the 20/20 title
- Cottonfields printed on the sleeve (as shown on the picture; mirrored on the back)

I wouldn't call it a "reissue", but a 2nd pressing, as I think these variations were released within a year. My guess is that this was done for better sales, as Cottonfields (the single) had become a sudden #1 hit in South Africa. In all cases the original 20/20 labels were used btw.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 09, 2013, 08:37:34 AM »

Really odd -  I can understand the use of the title "Cottonfields" but not the deletion of the band's name!

“We live in divisive times.”
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 09, 2013, 05:32:53 PM »

very impressive collections you all seem to have.  and I thought my collection was over the top.

I have all of the studio lps on vinyl, most of them original releases.  I have scads of comps and probably six or so odd copies of endless summer.  Can't seem to part with any of it, even the extras.  I have a couple of the old 45 record collector boxes stuffed with a wide variety of both common and rare 45's. Ihave about ten pic sleeve 45's.  I  have CDs upon CDs in that I kept buying new and improved with extra traks releases. got the box sets.  My recent interest has been framing my autographed Vinyl lps.  got Pet sounds signed by everyone but Dennis, have autographed solo lp's by Carl, Mike, Bruce, Have Ten Years of Harmony signed very prominently By Al  with smaller signatures by Carl, Mike and Bruce.
I have a copy of the American Band movie poster signed by several road band members including a much younger Mr. foskett.

And I still have theBBFUN newsletters, badges, and bumper stickers from many years ago.  My book shelf is heavy with books about the band from the early ones to the more recent ones by Jon Stebbins et al.  got a big box of t shirts from over the years, many out of style jerseys, sleeveless t's, and things that no longer fit.  I have an actual Beach Boys brand pair of shorts (anyone else buy these from a retail store in the 80s?).   I have Gary Usher Supstocks, Hal Blaine solo lp, a Cameo Parkway surf music album, and of course the Jan and Dean lps.

question; do any of you still go through, listen, or look at your collections of vinyl with all of the readily accessible digital material that is available today?
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 10, 2013, 12:18:09 PM »

I was listening to 2 different pressings of Pet Sounds last night!  Like you I am lucky and crazy enought to have collected many things over the years.  Mono vinyl, stereo vinyl, original vinyl, new vinyl for all the albums. Multiple versions on CD (just trying to get "All Summer Long" Pastmasters to satisfy my need there!). Compilations, books, hats, t-shirts (like the ones Dennis wore).  Posters, signed stuff etc.  As my wife doesn't appreciate it all I just have to enjoy and look at it every now and again on my own!  Pity we don't all stay close to each other. Cheesy
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 10, 2013, 11:48:17 PM »

Really odd -  I can understand the use of the title "Cottonfields" but not the deletion of the band's name!

Me neither, but from a collector's point of view I don't mind.  Smiley   

question; do any of you still go through, listen, or look at your collections of vinyl with all of the readily accessible digital material that is available today?

Sometimes I do play one of my LP's. But most of my collection (singles, 8-tracks, reels, etc) stays on their shelves.

bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 11, 2013, 12:25:50 AM »

more and more I go back to playing 45's and LP's cos they are fun to play with....and just to get an idea of what people heard the first time round
before we got spoilt with hi-fi and stereo, then remixing and re remixing etc like we get know with the BB catalogue.....

I have a lot of aussie BB 45's, to me sound terrible in terms of fidelity...sound is usually soft, with lo fi sound..... which suck on the songs
with the great instrumentation and arrangements..... i.e  do you wanna dance, god only knows, please let me wonder

OT a bit here:   I wonder whether it was in the stamping or pressing master, and also what generation down the line of the tape master did they use....

actually anyone have knowledge of this kind of thing??

they do a 1/4" 2 track final mix, maybe make a safety copy....... then where do they go from there??

make 20? copies onto other quarter inch machines, and ship a tape to each manufacturing plant..... 3 across America, 1 to UK, 1 to Japan Huh Huh?

how did they do things in the 60's?.........

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 12, 2013, 05:22:59 AM »

Right so I got this far without touching my LPs yet, probably the most grandiose part of my collection. Either way I don't think I've done too bad for a UK collector of what, 3 years, though only 2 years would stand as collecting at most.

8-Tracks:

Cassettes:

Reel-To-Reels:

Captiol Year CDs: [PS is 1990 issue, Christmas Album is MFP stereo]

Other Albums [Not quite complete...]

Various Comps and Other Releases:

CD Singles and Remasters:

Box Sets:

RSD Stuff:

12" Singles:

Captiol Years 7"'s: [UK Originals, Both Black on Orange label Cottonfields and a 3 track Maxi]

Later 7"'s: [UK Originals Again]

Other 7"'s [Inc. 'New' Singles, EPs and Foreign Singles]

Other Stuff: [C50 Tour Book, SE Promo CD, SMiLE CD, Japan Mini LP SOT, Dennis WIison's Cowbell]

And the LPs are a whole separate issue....

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 12, 2013, 06:40:38 AM »

Love it!  Cheesy. I'll need to post mine.  The biggest thing is setting them all out for the photos!  I've never collected the reel-to-reels or singles but they look great.  Wish I hadn't seen them, as I might now feel the urge to go and start collecting them!  Also it's amazing that you acquired all of that in 2 years.  Mine has been built up over 24 years.  Kudos to you!  Can't wait to see the lps!
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 12, 2013, 07:03:59 AM »

I have a bunch of LP's and three setlists, along with:

Used C50 Cowsil sticks, along with a guest pass to the Rugby 7s,

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 12, 2013, 07:13:46 AM »

Right so I got this far without touching my LPs yet, probably the most grandiose part of my collection. Either way I don't think I've done too bad for a UK collector of what, 3 years, though only 2 years would stand as collecting at most.

Nice stuff! 
Have you checked all the labels for your 7"ers at the site to see if you have any variations on what is shown there?    ( http://www.beachboys45.nl/  ) 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 12, 2013, 11:47:48 AM »

Best use of floor space ever! LPs as promised:

Main Albums [All UK originals, Except Pet Sounds which I have but have left up at Uni this weekend so my stereo copy fills in the gaps here]
Surf's Up, Love You and KTSa all have their original inserts, Holland has the EP but no lyric insert [unless this doesn't exist?]

Compilation LPs [Mostly UK except Endless Summer, SOA, US Vol. 2 and GV [not MFP LP]. 10YOH has the insert, Endless Summer has the poster. :

Other LPs:
Mostly UK Copies, except the ones that aren't. Another 20 Golden Greats, but this is blue, Many Vol. 1's, all different issues, Some Mono/Stereo alternatives, Dupes [LDC/Party/SDSN], CATP/PS Two-Fer,  Gatefold US Concert, Interview Disc for KTSA [on my YT channel], French Wild Honey [with a voice saying 'ST2 28, 59 on side 2], Sunflower/Surf's Up caribou, German Surfer Girl, 1999 Stereo Pet Sounds LP [What a beauty!]

SMiLE Selection:
Original First Bootleg with Insert, Vigotone Couloured 3LP + Session Sheets, Stickered Plastic Cover and Poster, Red Vinyl SOT, Smile Sessions LP

I think that's it.... Not including solo of course!

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 12, 2013, 01:55:12 PM »

Awesome!  Grin As I said earlier, all the more remarkable considering it's a two year old collection!  Great to see it.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 12, 2013, 02:49:33 PM »

Very nice collection, sir!  Smiley

Holland has the EP but no lyric insert [unless this doesn't exist?]

It does. I'm pretty sure my UK copy contains the lyric sheet.

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 12, 2013, 03:16:18 PM »

An awesome collection indeed, Freddie! You should be proud of what you've managed to collect in a short amount of time. Thanks for sharing.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 12, 2013, 03:21:12 PM »

Very nice collection, sir!  Smiley

Holland has the EP but no lyric insert [unless this doesn't exist?]

It does. I'm pretty sure my UK copy contains the lyric sheet.

Drat! More cash to spend. It's annoying buying a whole LP just for the insert since my copy is great. Ah well!

Also thanks for the positive comments :D I do treasure my collection, but am always trying to expand. I did order a Mess Of Help 7" with pic sleeve off discord a while ago but it got lost in the post! That left a nasty hole in the 70s singles sadly. Never seen another one Sad

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 12, 2013, 04:03:36 PM »

8 CDs.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #145 on: October 12, 2013, 04:38:04 PM »

Best use of floor space ever! LPs as promised:

Main Albums [All UK originals, Except Pet Sounds which I have but have left up at Uni this weekend so my stereo copy fills in the gaps here]
Surf's Up, Love You and KTSa all have their original inserts, Holland has the EP but no lyric insert [unless this doesn't exist?]

Compilation LPs [Mostly UK except Endless Summer, SOA, US Vol. 2 and GV [not MFP LP]. 10YOH has the insert, Endless Summer has the poster. :

Other LPs:
Mostly UK Copies, except the ones that aren't. Another 20 Golden Greats, but this is blue, Many Vol. 1's, all different issues, Some Mono/Stereo alternatives, Dupes [LDC/Party/SDSN], CATP/PS Two-Fer,  Gatefold US Concert, Interview Disc for KTSA [on my YT channel], French Wild Honey [with a voice saying 'ST2 28, 59 on side 2], Sunflower/Surf's Up caribou, German Surfer Girl, 1999 Stereo Pet Sounds LP [What a beauty!]

SMiLE Selection:
Original First Bootleg with Insert, Vigotone Couloured 3LP + Session Sheets, Stickered Plastic Cover and Poster, Red Vinyl SOT, Smile Sessions LP

I think that's it.... Not including solo of course!
Did you collect by searching online or at places like Record Fairs?
Also, I wouldn't mind seeing your solo collection
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 03:13:57 PM by bluesno1fann » Logged
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 12, 2013, 10:12:53 PM »

I have a lot of aussie BB 45's, to me sound terrible in terms of fidelity...sound is usually soft, with lo fi sound..... which suck on the songs
with the great instrumentation and arrangements..... i.e  do you wanna dance, god only knows, please let me wonder

OT a bit here:   I wonder whether it was in the stamping or pressing master, and also what generation down the line of the tape master did they use....

make 20? copies onto other quarter inch machines, and ship a tape to each manufacturing plant..... 3 across America, 1 to UK, 1 to Japan Huh Huh?

how did they do things in the 60's?.........

Rick - I don't profess to know jack about jack, but from what I've read, UK EMI '45s lacquers were often cut directly from a US Single: in order to get to market asap - so, straight away your sound quality is out the window - by today's wanky standards, that is: probably not that big a deal on a 60s portable 45 player with stylus tip coated with near-diamond, or over the am dial on your old man's radiogram.

Both my OZ and UK pressings of Today suck the big one, especially on Do ya wanna. it's one of the few albums where I favour digital over vinyl.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 12, 2013, 10:22:40 PM »

Freddy - amazing stuff, man  Bow Bow Bow

Delighted to see BW rarities made the line-up   Wink

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 13, 2013, 12:28:52 AM »

Freddie, do you have any background info on Dennis Wilson's cowbell?

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 13, 2013, 01:52:24 AM »

That would be this ebay auction I guess.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beach-Boys-Antique-Gold-painted-Cowbell-1960s-this-thing-has-seen-lots-of-action-/121175926649

A good buy.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx