gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681420 Posts in 27636 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 06, 2024, 01:27:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tell us about your Beach Boys collection  (Read 107845 times)
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2013, 12:59:27 PM »

I knew I would regret this  Angry
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2013, 01:03:19 PM »

I want a photo of OSD kissing the signed Surf's Up poster from Myke.....

and then all will be well...
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2013, 03:47:12 PM »

I can display my meager collection with a couple of pics

here's one....

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2013, 04:54:27 PM »

Cool thread!!   Grin

Try this one on for size.  I do have a large collection of LPs, but it's the "Brian Wilson Production 45s" that I really dig.

Here's what we have here: Surfin'/Luau on the X label, Kenny and the Cadets 45 (original on the pink label), all the Honeys 45s (including promo and stock copies of He's A Doll), both Sharon Marie singles, Rachel and the Revolvers, Hale and the Hushabyes, Timers "No Go Showboat", Survivors "Pamela Jean", Castells "I Do", The Four Speeds single, "My Buddy Seat" by the Hondells (co-written by Brian, both label variations, red and black), Annette "Monkey's Uncle" with picture sleeve, Glen Campbell "Guess I'm Dumb", Gary Usher "Sacramento" "Sweet Mountain" by Spring, Bob And Bobby "Twelve-Oh-Four", Don't You Just Know It by Jan (and Brian),  Celebration "Almost Summer", and a 1970s issue California Girls single with sleeve and label signed by Carl, Dennis, Mike, and Al.

What I'm Missing: Bob and Sheri, "The Surfer Moon".  I'd love to find that at a yard sale someday. 

leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2013, 05:54:46 PM »

Cool thread!!   Grin

Try this one on for size.  I do have a large collection of LPs, but it's the "Brian Wilson Production 45s" that I really dig.

Here's what we have here: Surfin'/Luau on the X label, Kenny and the Cadets 45 (original on the pink label), all the Honeys 45s (including promo and stock copies of He's A Doll), both Sharon Marie singles, Rachel and the Revolvers, Hale and the Hushabyes, Timers "No Go Showboat", Survivors "Pamela Jean", Castells "I Do", The Four Speeds single, "My Buddy Seat" by the Hondells (co-written by Brian, both label variations, red and black), Annette "Monkey's Uncle" with picture sleeve, Glen Campbell "Guess I'm Dumb", Gary Usher "Sacramento" "Sweet Mountain" by Spring, Bob And Bobby "Twelve-Oh-Four", Don't You Just Know It by Jan (and Brian),  Celebration "Almost Summer", and a 1970s issue California Girls single with sleeve and label signed by Carl, Dennis, Mike, and Al.

What I'm Missing: Bob and Sheri, "The Surfer Moon".  I'd love to find that at a yard sale someday. 

Thats ultra cool.

I cant see the autographs though.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2013, 08:07:56 PM »

Cool thread!!   Grin

Try this one on for size.  I do have a large collection of LPs, but it's the "Brian Wilson Production 45s" that I really dig.

Here's what we have here: Surfin'/Luau on the X label, Kenny and the Cadets 45 (original on the pink label), all the Honeys 45s (including promo and stock copies of He's A Doll), both Sharon Marie singles, Rachel and the Revolvers, Hale and the Hushabyes, Timers "No Go Showboat", Survivors "Pamela Jean", Castells "I Do", The Four Speeds single, "My Buddy Seat" by the Hondells (co-written by Brian, both label variations, red and black), Annette "Monkey's Uncle" with picture sleeve, Glen Campbell "Guess I'm Dumb", Gary Usher "Sacramento" "Sweet Mountain" by Spring, Bob And Bobby "Twelve-Oh-Four", Don't You Just Know It by Jan (and Brian),  Celebration "Almost Summer", and a 1970s issue California Girls single with sleeve and label signed by Carl, Dennis, Mike, and Al.

What I'm Missing: Bob and Sheri, "The Surfer Moon".  I'd love to find that at a yard sale someday.  

You can see my Bob and Sheri ( with the faint sigs of Bob and Shari, and some person named Jan) here: http://www.beachboys45.nl/USA-Regular-BWprod-others.htm

I paid more than garage sale price, but a lot less than it's worth....
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 08:09:00 PM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 03, 2013, 12:30:15 AM »

Wait.

It's morning here. I am wearing my Country Love gents string with leather front. And I have my best camera with me, to take a piccie on the toilet, in secret (I'm not at home, but at the Uni). And I have Stars & Stripes with me for a prop.

And now the thread has turned into 'serious' mode again, overnight.

I feel like a balloon that someone just pushed a needle into.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 03, 2013, 06:39:00 AM »

Wait.

It's morning here. I am wearing my Country Love gents string with leather front. And I have my best camera with me, to take a piccie on the toilet, in secret (I'm not at home, but at the Uni). And I have Stars & Stripes with me for a prop.

And now the thread has turned into 'serious' mode again, overnight.

I feel like a balloon that someone just pushed a needle into.

Lucky for us.  Razz

Necessity knows no law
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2013, 05:39:44 PM »

An essential item in my collection:

Interestingly, on the back it has highest chart placings and number of weeks in the charts for singles released between 1965-1969 in The Netherlands.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2013, 12:26:35 AM »

An essential item in my collection:

Interestingly, on the back it has highest chart placings and number of weeks in the charts for singles released between 1965-1969 in The Netherlands.

And I assume the poster itself is still there as well?

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 05, 2013, 04:39:13 AM »

Sadly, no  Sad

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 05, 2013, 04:55:00 AM »

Sadly, no  Sad

Was there a poster at all? The LP is the by-product of a radio show in the first half of the '70s, called: 'TROS Poster'. It was a very good show, the episodes devoted to the BBs painted a picture that was rare in those days, it featured 'Surf's Up', for instance. And it fired up my already burgeoning BBs obsession.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 05, 2013, 04:56:23 AM »

...although on closer inspection I see a poster behind the DJ, with Bruce prominently in the front - and it has the styling of the LP's cover. So:   Embarrassed

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 05, 2013, 06:31:42 AM »

Probably shouldn't be showing my face around here, but:

Oh my god you are so cute!!!  Grin Grin Grin

You have suffered the consequences...

Being a hetero male, I just wanted to say that Pinder's actually is very, very handsome.

I think he'll be hounded by 'the consequences' for the rest of his life.

Really?  Reminds me of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev

wow

too soon man. too soon....
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 06:33:02 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 05, 2013, 08:07:41 AM »

...although on closer inspection I see a poster behind the DJ, with Bruce prominently in the front - and it has the styling of the LP's cover. So:   Embarrassed

almost correct: the poster you see hanging on the wall behind mister Klaas Vaak is indeed the same picture and layout as the one that was added to the album, only difference being that the text "The Beach Boys Poster" is printed above the picture.

Note on the chart list on the back of the album: the chartlist lacks the first "hit" the Beach Boys had, which was I Get Around. It entered the Dutch charts on Aug. 23 1964 and reached it's highest position 2 weeks later on #38 (after that it disappeared from the charts). For a complete list of BB singles that charted in the Netherlands go here: http://www.beachboys45.nl/Neth-statistics%20charts.htm
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 08:15:56 AM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
beachboys_fr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 13, 2013, 05:32:30 AM »

As you may know if you have read my posts elsewhere on the forum, I’m collecting Beach Boys CDs. I begin to build my collection in June 2001 and I have now 1642 different items representing 1917 different CDs (1 US 1993 Good Vibrations box = 5 CDs).

In my view, when you’re collecting Beach Boys CDs, and more generally when you’re collecting something, you face two main problems.

The first one is to define the perimeter of your collection. For example, regarding Beach Boys CDs, should bootlegs be included or not? Should solo albums be included or not? Should CDs with other artists be included or not? And so on. I began my collection with a quite large definition: Beach Boys official and non official releases + solo official and non official releases + Beach Boys and solo tracks non available on Beach Boys and solo albums. Now, I have adopted a narrow definition and my collection includes now Beach Boys official and non official releases only (albums + singles + promo + compilations + bootlegs). CDRs are moreover excluded.

This problem of definition is not a difficult one. The second is much more complicated to deal with. You have to identify what to search. When you’re collecting US stamps, it’s quite easy. You purchase a catalogue starting with the first stamp ever printed and ending with the last one. For Beach Boys CDs, or more generally for Beach Boys items, this kind of catalogue does not exist. You have to build your own catalogue. My catalogue counts actually 1731 different items representing 2019 different CDs. These figures and the ones above allow me to state that I have 94.1% of the Beach Boys CDs. Of course, it does not mean that I have 94.1% of what exists but 94.1% of what I know to exist. No one really knows how much Beach Boys CDs have been released. And don’t forget, it is contingent to the definition you have retained!

Hope you will appreciate this quite long development… And sorry for the others!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 13, 2013, 05:48:36 AM »

Recently treated myself to a certain Candix 301 (Era) single … definitely a new highlight though I haven't plucked up the guts to put a needle to it yet.

“We live in divisive times.”
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 13, 2013, 09:41:18 AM »

As you may know if you have read my posts elsewhere on the forum, I’m collecting Beach Boys CDs. I begin to build my collection in June 2001 and I have now 1642 different items representing 1917 different CDs (1 US 1993 Good Vibrations box = 5 CDs).

In my view, when you’re collecting Beach Boys CDs, and more generally when you’re collecting something, you face two main problems.

The first one is to define the perimeter of your collection. For example, regarding Beach Boys CDs, should bootlegs be included or not? Should solo albums be included or not? Should CDs with other artists be included or not? And so on. I began my collection with a quite large definition: Beach Boys official and non official releases + solo official and non official releases + Beach Boys and solo tracks non available on Beach Boys and solo albums. Now, I have adopted a narrow definition and my collection includes now Beach Boys official and non official releases only (albums + singles + promo + compilations + bootlegs). CDRs are moreover excluded.

This problem of definition is not a difficult one. The second is much more complicated to deal with. You have to identify what to search. When you’re collecting US stamps, it’s quite easy. You purchase a catalogue starting with the first stamp ever printed and ending with the last one. For Beach Boys CDs, or more generally for Beach Boys items, this kind of catalogue does not exist. You have to build your own catalogue. My catalogue counts actually 1731 different items representing 2019 different CDs. These figures and the ones above allow me to state that I have 94.1% of the Beach Boys CDs. Of course, it does not mean that I have 94.1% of what exists but 94.1% of what I know to exist. No one really knows how much Beach Boys CDs have been released. And don’t forget, it is contingent to the definition you have retained!

I would love to see a full list of what you own, that is a big collection and something to be proud of.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2013, 10:25:20 AM »

Recently treated myself to a certain Candix 301 (Era) single … definitely a new highlight though I haven't plucked up the guts to put a needle to it yet.

Why would you want to do that?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 13, 2013, 11:00:15 AM »

Why would you want to do that?

Cos I wanna feel the same thrill some of you older Smileyboarders felt in '61!    LOL

“We live in divisive times.”
beachboys_fr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 14, 2013, 01:17:51 AM »

I would love to see a full list of what you own, that is a big collection and something to be proud of.

Please send PM with an email address. I will send you the full list in EXCEL format.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #96 on: July 13, 2013, 10:11:16 PM »

i'm not quite sure how to upload a picture of my collection, as the maximum attachment size allowed is 128 KB, and my pic is 1.49 MB
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 14, 2013, 12:34:07 PM »

i'm not quite sure how to upload a picture of my collection, as the maximum attachment size allowed is 128 KB, and my pic is 1.49 MB

Try an upload website like www.tinypic.com, and copy-paste the url link on the board. Works great.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 14, 2013, 12:55:34 PM »

The biggest things I own of note would be my first press Pet Sounds and my first press Brian Wilson.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 15, 2013, 11:01:16 AM »

here's a couple of things from my collection.....
these are old pics.... ive quad-rupled the collection over the 10 years since I took these...
but just to give you an glimpse into my 'fettish'..

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv121/rickenbacker2000/collection_zpsff54825f.jpg?t=1373911062

and a couple of tickets as well and a backstage pass

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv121/rickenbacker2000/tickets_zps3a683db8.jpg?t=1373911096

one day ill put together everything with posters, more promo items, signed stuff etc etc

RickB
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 11:03:03 AM by Rick Bartlett » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx