gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680823 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 04:14:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tell us about your Beach Boys collection  (Read 107120 times)
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #100 on: July 15, 2013, 11:25:52 AM »

Recently treated myself to a certain Candix 301 (Era) single … definitely a new highlight though I haven't plucked up the guts to put a needle to it yet.

I found an "Audition Copy' at my local Salvation Army store a few years ago. Best 10 cents I've ever spent.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 15, 2013, 12:00:52 PM »

here's a couple of things from my collection.....
these are old pics.... ive quad-rupled the collection over the 10 years since I took these...
but just to give you an glimpse into my 'fettish'..

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv121/rickenbacker2000/collection_zpsff54825f.jpg?t=1373911062

and a couple of tickets as well and a backstage pass

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv121/rickenbacker2000/tickets_zps3a683db8.jpg?t=1373911096

one day ill put together everything with posters, more promo items, signed stuff etc etc

RickB

Rick, a couple of things. What's the deal with the Shut Down II album cover? Did you paste over a "Shut Down" label or is that the way you got it? Also, you know that Dillon Stadium poster is fake with that erroneous date, right? Just an FYI.......nice collection!

Also, I'm wondering if you're the same Rick from Australia who mailed me a BWPS 'box' to California back in '04....I don't see it in your collection so I wasn't sure if you're the guy or if you have one too.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 15, 2013, 12:41:14 PM »

Hello Mikie!

Thanks for checking out the links, sorry im not the same Rick who sent you BWPS box...... must mean there's another freak like me 'down under'...

Glad you noticed the poster, I do have a few 'questionable' items in the collection..... and I checked out the Shut Down Vol.2 cover......

and had no idea all this time I've had it, it is a different cover to the standard US version...... it's the original Australian copy without acknowledging 'Vol.2'

I dug the record out of the collection, check out these pics for a closer look.......... Thanks for pointing out something I didn't know I had!

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv121/rickenbacker2000/sdv2front_zps2bc1cff8.jpg

and here is the back cover..

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv121/rickenbacker2000/sdv2back_zpsa65a7c25.jpg

Cheers Mate.

RickB
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 15, 2013, 12:43:51 PM »

and another pic for vinyl lovers...... I posted this on bw.com some time back, but for those interested in the 'TWGMTR' single 45....

here are 3 different label copies:
http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv121/rickenbacker2000/Photo0015_zps003983db.jpg

if I get inspired and anyone wants to see anymore 'oddities', i'll upload some more links...

Cheerio,

Rick Bartlett
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 15, 2013, 12:56:46 PM »

Hello Mikie!

Thanks for checking out the links, sorry im not the same Rick who sent you BWPS box...... must mean there's another freak like me 'down under'...

Glad you noticed the poster, I do have a few 'questionable' items in the collection..... and I checked out the Shut Down Vol.2 cover......

and had no idea all this time I've had it, it is a different cover to the standard US version...... it's the original Australian copy without acknowledging 'Vol.2'

I dug the record out of the collection, check out these pics for a closer look.......... Thanks for pointing out something I didn't know I had!

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv121/rickenbacker2000/sdv2front_zps2bc1cff8.jpg

and here is the back cover..

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv121/rickenbacker2000/sdv2back_zpsa65a7c25.jpg

Cheers Mate.

RickB

Rick, I'm assuming your Shut Down II album is original? Or is it a reissue? Were the Australian Capitol labels green (like the one pictured)  or black with the rainbow border like in America? It's weird that there's a "paste over" of the Shut Down II title. I assume that was done by Capitol(?) or the distributor in Australia? Haven't seen that before. Unless someone did it after the fact.....

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 15, 2013, 01:14:48 PM »

HI Mikie.....

Yes, our early Capitol Lp's were Green like in the picture, and Yes, an original pressing....

we were a bit slow at getting the black/rainbow label, but we did end up using them here also....

I am not sure when the crossover changed as I do not have 'all' of the Australian pressings, as they are difficult to find, let alone in excellent condition....

Our aussie 45's were a purple label until the mid/late 60's when we started using the orange/yellow swirl label.

Our Ep's however, were also Green like the Lp's..... I have a few of those....

as for the reason why with SDVol.2 cover? I have no idea!!  just a thought, we probably didn't get the  'shut down' compilation LP

here so maybe, the record company re adjusted the graphics just to read 'shut down'..... but it is not a 'paste over'. It's pressed 'as is'...

here's another Aussie Lp: All Summer Long.....  notice the misprint on the cover 'don't 'Break' down' hehehe

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv121/rickenbacker2000/000_0124_zpsffe0bccf.jpg

and back cover...

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv121/rickenbacker2000/000_0126_zps05b86652.jpg

RickB
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 15, 2013, 01:40:16 PM »

Wow! That's surprising that Capitol (EMI?) in Australia made the same mistake on their 'All Summer Long" covers as they did on some of the U.S. covers. I have one of those "Don't Break Down" misprinted covers too (U.S. Capitol black/rainbow). Was not aware that some "foreign" pressings got out that way too. Ironic, since Brian had his first breakdown later that year.....

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 15, 2013, 02:15:52 PM »

Seems that Taiwan was also Shut Down compilation LP poor:

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 16, 2013, 04:19:05 AM »

HI Mikie.....

Yes, our early Capitol Lp's were Green like in the picture, and Yes, an original pressing....

we were a bit slow at getting the black/rainbow label, but we did end up using them here also....

I am not sure when the crossover changed as I do not have 'all' of the Australian pressings, as they are difficult to find, let alone in excellent condition....

Our aussie 45's were a purple label until the mid/late 60's when we started using the orange/yellow swirl label.

Great photos. Rick,thanks for sharing them!  What an enviable collection (as desirable as Metal Flake Paint's T-shirt stash) & it's great to see the Aussie Music For Pleasure editions in there, nice one

Just to add to the label info from Rick; Australian LP reissues circa the early 80s reverted to the Capitol Purple label, and there was a run of reissues with a pretty bland orange label for a while (although not sure if this is '70s or '80s vintage).  By California Dreamin'/Made in the USA things were back on the Capitol black/rainbow.

Not sure why this is, I can only assume something to do with the licensing arrangements between EMI and Capitol re colonial distributions.

And for pure nerd kicks, Aus pressings tend to use thinner card for the album covers;  You can usually sus out a US pressing based on the card, before having to check the label.  It can be a bit easier to tear, but isn't as prone to flaking/crumbling/drying out, like some neglected US prints that have come my way.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 16, 2013, 05:07:19 AM »

Pity that I can't fit into any of those t-shirts anymore  Shocked

Great pics, Rick! I'll continue the Aussie theme with these World Record Club editions of Friends. Interestingly, Diamond Head was replaced with Good Vibrations in each case. Collect them all!

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 16, 2013, 09:50:17 AM »

I'm probably in minority here, but I've never been much of a completist. I only own the studio and live albums and two or three bootlegs. When it comes to unreleased songs, I'd love to hear as many as possible (I've made several home-made compilations including that kind of stuff). But things like the Pet Sounds Sessions or The Smile Sessions - which include alternate versions/ demos - don't really interest me (nevermind  4-hour Party! SOT and such). I wish they would, but I'd rather just listen to the finished product as it is, then move on to another band.
ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 16, 2013, 11:04:30 AM »

My "collection" barely counts as a collection lol, but I'll throw it up here anyways:

-Most albums on CD
-A few albums/compilations on vinyl (a couple vintage, a couple reissues)
-A handshake from Brian Wilson  Psyche!

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 16, 2013, 03:34:18 PM »

My "collection" barely counts as a collection lol, but I'll throw it up here anyway

That's a very cool thing to have - be sure to keep your hand in plastic in a temperature controlled room away from sunlight.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 16, 2013, 04:02:22 PM »

Mine's about as modest as can be for someone who wants most/all of the material.  But what can I say, I'm a poor, frugal student.

Surfin' Safari/Surfin' USA
Surfer Girl/Shut Down Volume 2
Little Deuce Coupe/All Summer Long
Today!/Summer Days (And Summer Nights)
Pet Sounds
Smiley Smile/Wild Honey
Friends/20/20
Sunflower/Surf's Up
Carls and the Passions - "So Tough"/Holland
15 Big Ones/Love You
M.I.U. Album/L.A. (Light Album)
Keepin' the Summer Alive/The Beach Boys
The Smile Sessions
That's Why God Made the Radio

Endless Summer (original vinyl)

Fifty Sides of the Beach Boys (book)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 04:04:59 PM by TimeToGetAlone » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 16, 2013, 04:04:32 PM »

My "collection" barely counts as a collection lol, but I'll throw it up here anyway

That's a very cool thing to have - be sure to keep your hand in plastic in a temperature controlled room away from sunlight.

From a collector's standpoint, it would probably be better to cut it off and have it preserved, before the hand gets any ( more) damage

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
bluesno1fann
« Reply #115 on: July 23, 2013, 09:16:41 PM »

my small collection of Beach Boys products. Only started collecting very recently, hence the small collection.
The Carl and the Passions CD is a two-disc with Holland and Mount Vernon and Fairway, just so you know.
On the piece of paper is autographs of Al Jardine, Bruce Johnston, and touring drummer John Cowsill. The day after the Melbourne concert I went to, my Dad who works for security at the Airport, was able to get the autographs as they were walking past!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 01:03:36 AM by bluesno1fann » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #116 on: August 12, 2013, 05:18:14 PM »

What I got at the record fair. Plus I got the Endless Harmony DVD.
Other BB's LP's I found, but did not get:
Surfin' Safari
Surfer Girl
Beach Boys Concert
Beach Boys Party
Rare SMiLE bootleg
Smiley Smile
The Beach Boys In Concert
M.I.U Album
bluesno1fann
« Reply #117 on: August 12, 2013, 05:22:22 PM »

For the record, what I got was:
Love You
L.A. Light Album
Keepin' The Summer Alive
Still Cruisin'

I tried to post a photo, but I failed. Lol
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 12, 2013, 09:55:56 PM »

Gotta love coloured vinyl!

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 12, 2013, 10:28:03 PM »

I have on CD the Good Vibrations box set, the Today/Summer Days and Sunflower/Surf's Up twofers, all of the 2012 remastered albums (except for Sunflower and Surf's Up), and the old Endless Summer and Spirit of America compilations.  Also I have The Beach Boys Classics Selected by Brian Wilson, That's Why God Made the Radio, Isn't It Time EP, The Smile Sessions 2-CD version, and the 50th Anniversary Tour live album in my iTunes library but not in physical form.  I also have iTunes downloads of several Brian Wilson solo albums; the 1988 album, Orange Crate Art, Smile, Gershwin, That Lucky Old Sun, In the Key of Disney, and the What Love Can Do single.

I have on DVD The Beach Boys: An American Band, I Just Wasn't Made for These Times, Brian Wilson: Imagination, Brian Wilson Presents Smile, Brian Wilson On Tour, Good Vibrations Tour, Live in Knebworth, Pet Sounds DVD-Audio, Pet Sounds Live in London, The Beach Boys 50 Live in Concert, The TAMI Show, and That Lucky Old Sun.

And then I have my 50th Anniversary tour T-shirt. Smiley

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 12, 2013, 10:48:57 PM »

Gotta love coloured vinyl!

Whoah!  The BB Boogie Collection - they should've airbrushed a white 3 piece with black shirt and Dancin' soles onto the Caribou (the fog machine is already turned on)

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 12, 2013, 11:03:12 PM »

I've got all the usual stuff (all the BB albums and all the bw m, cw and de albums), some vinyl LP:s and singles + 8 BW autographs, 1 ML autograph, 1 AL autograph, 1 BJ autograph and 1 DM autograph.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 11:51:32 PM by Swedish Frog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 12, 2013, 11:19:56 PM »

Everything is on CD. I don't own a record player.

Compilations:
Endless Harmony
Sounds of Summer
The Warmth Of The Sun
The Smile Sessions (2 CD)

Albums:
Today!/Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!)
Pet Sounds (2006 remaster)
Smiley Smile/Wild Honey
Friends/20/20
Sunflower/Surf's Up
15 Big Ones/Love You

Solo albums:
Brian Wilson Presents Smile
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 30, 2013, 11:41:21 PM »

Mine's about as modest as can be for someone who wants most/all of the material.  But what can I say, I'm a poor, frugal student.

Surfin' Safari/Surfin' USA
Surfer Girl/Shut Down Volume 2
Little Deuce Coupe/All Summer Long
Today!/Summer Days (And Summer Nights)
Pet Sounds
Smiley Smile/Wild Honey
Friends/20/20
Sunflower/Surf's Up
Carls and the Passions - "So Tough"/Holland
15 Big Ones/Love You
M.I.U. Album/L.A. (Light Album)
Keepin' the Summer Alive/The Beach Boys
The Smile Sessions
That's Why God Made the Radio

Endless Summer (original vinyl)

Fifty Sides of the Beach Boys (book)

Read this last part as fifty shades of the beach boys  -- shudder
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 08, 2013, 11:59:43 AM »

South Africa has been good for me. During our holiday I was able to extend my collection a bit...   (18,5 kilograms of vinyl in my suitcase... I'm surprised my wife let me get away with this ...   Grin )

Almost everything is S.A. vinyl. I'm especially happy with the Surfin' 'Round The World LP. Left row is all Flames reissues or compilations on 16 2/3 (!!) RPM (containing Flames as well). The 20 Golden Greats (2nd row) is a Rhodesian pressing. And the Keef Heartly Band LP cover was reason enough to buy it. Got me some 45 variations I didn't have yet (including Friends / Cherry Cherry Coupe). Unique cover variations of the Shut Down Vol. II and Live In London LP. And the 20/20 variations are quite cool too!

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx