gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 03:07:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love Appreciation thread  (Read 18204 times)
Nicko1234
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2013, 11:19:10 AM »

The differing opinions is what makes the board fun. But the personal attacks are simply childish and don't belong on the board. When words such as idiot, dweeb, pig, dick, etc start to be hurled in attack mode by someone who doesn't like how the debate is going, they have entered the realm of the juvenile mindset. No big deal if it happens once in a while. But certain people make it a regular habit and those we would be better off without.

Agreed but coming on to the board and crying to the admin because somebody called you a dweeb in a PM is surely childish as well.  LOL
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2013, 11:42:28 AM »

The differing opinions is what makes the board fun. But the personal attacks are simply childish and don't belong on the board. When words such as idiot, dweeb, pig, dick, etc start to be hurled in attack mode by someone who doesn't like how the debate is going, they have entered the realm of the juvenile mindset. No big deal if it happens once in a while. But certain people make it a regular habit and those we would be better off without.

Agreed but coming on to the board and crying to the admin because somebody called you a dweeb in a PM is surely childish as well.  LOL
First of all, your kind of comment is exactly what I just posted about. Ss the saying goes, if the shoe fits, ......

Secondly, you are making a wild assumotion with the only purpose being to be combative.

Third, certain people on the board use words liie dweeb as as warm up. When you have to resort to insults all the time, you really show the kind of person you are.

Lastly, as a person who was banned for posting PMs and who has a long history of insulting comments on the board, I guess my post hit home?

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Nicko1234
« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2013, 11:51:20 AM »

First of all, your kind of comment is exactly what I just posted about. Ss the saying goes, if the shoe fits, ......

Secondly, you are making a wild assumotion with the only purpose being to be combative.

Third, certain people on the board use words liie dweeb as as warm up. When you have to resort to insults all the time, you really show the kind of person you are.

Lastly, as a person who was banned for posting PMs and who has a long history of insulting comments on the board, I guess my post hit home?

Not in the least and if you'd like to pick out some of these insulting comments that you believe I have a long history of posting then I'd be interested to see them.

I agree with what you say about personal attacks and childish behaviour being unnecessary on the board. Absolutely. I'm sure everybody posts nonsense at times (myself included) but if you are going to lecture others about their posts then it would make sense to look at what you are posting yourself too.

That's all.

Anyway, let's get back on topic shall we as the board admin have enough to do...
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 22, 2013, 11:59:05 AM »

As far as I'm concerned, it's chucking the word "hater" around every time you encounter an opinion that really brings this board down.

I think this was the first time ever I used the word "hater", and I don't think you're right by claiming it came up "every time you encounter an opinion you don't like". That's just an easy excuse from your side. There's lots of opinions here that aren't mine and I'm fine with that. But this childish way of putting down anybody who dares to see something good in Mike Love has reached an annoying amount of overabundance. Once in a while, ok, it can even be funny then. And I still think it is disrespectful towards Quzi to ruin his thread. If there was a "The Private Life of Bill And Sue appreciation thread", I would leave it alone and not go in there and post how much I hate it.

Yeah, don't feed the troll.

That's cool, I didn't mean you personally. like I said, I just have a knee-jerk reaction to the word. Personally I agree it was distasteful, sorry OSD, but I find this notion of trying to ban people from posting negative opinions on a thread you  started, to be more distasteful. (Again, I don't mean you Micha, I mean "You" in the universal sense)

And I also  agree with you (now I mean you Micha) it's best to ignore threads you have no interest in, but that can't really be made a rule can it?

Well, I'm sorry, I had taken it personally first. Maybe it was in part a language thing, in my native language there is another word for "You in the universal sense", so I was inclined to take it personally. Thank you for clarifying in your post.

What put me so off was mainly OSD's disrespectfulness, not his sheer opinion. Maybe I went over the top with writing "all those Mikehaters", but lately more than just one thread turned into Mikebashing. I'm not paranoid though, thank you. And what also bugs me about OSD is that he doesn't accept differing opinions to an extend that for instance he reproached Cam that he constantly kisses Mike's ass. That's childish and rude.

I like the word "Kokomaoists", even if I don't like the song. Smiley

I'm not offended in the least (most of time) by OSD's approach..... He's like Mike. He is who/what he is and isn't going to change for anyone... I get way more offended by all the academic and pompous "serious and informed" University Of David Leaf School graduates who sit there and pontificate about how evil and awful Mike is... when it's really just the same immature and irrational hatred as OSD spreads. At least OSD just hates Mike with an honest passion and doesn't need to dress up his opinion.
gfac22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 22, 2013, 12:02:13 PM »

...the academic and pompous "serious and informed" University Of David Leaf School graduates ...

Good lord, I hope nobody paid too much to get that diploma.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 22, 2013, 12:16:11 PM »

Not in the least and if you'd like to pick out some of these insulting comments that you believe I have a long history of posting then I'd be interested to see them.

I agree with what you say about personal attacks and childish behaviour being unnecessary on the board. Absolutely. I'm sure everybody posts nonsense at times (myself included) but if you are going to lecture others about their posts then it would make sense to look at what you are posting yourself too.

That's all.

Anyway, let's get back on topic shall we as the board admin have enough to do...

Since my original post was not directed at you, I wonder why you had to respond in such a way?

This is a great example of what I am talking about. In your response, you lecture me. When I respond back, you are unhappy I am lecturing you. Really makes me wonder about........ If you want an example, let's start right now. You insult me by calling me childish. I didn't call you any names. This is a great example of how this stuff escalates.  

Obviously, you didn't learn much during your ban.

The latest matter at hand was exactly this. OSD was called a racist and a pig, among other things. Human beings have the ability to debate and argue using their god given intelligence. When you get personal, like calling them a dick, a dweeb, childish...., that is unnessary and does nothing to further your argument.  I would have PMd you but you have posted you don't do PMs.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Nicko1234
« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2013, 12:35:49 PM »

Since my original post was not directed at you, I wonder why you had to respond in such a way?

This is a great example of what I am talking about. In your response, you lecture me. When I respond back, you are unhappy I am lecturing you. Really makes me wonder about........ If you want an example, let's start right now. You insult me by calling me childish. I didn't call you any names. This is a great example of how this stuff escalates.  

The latest matter at hand was exactly this. OSD was called a racist and a pig, among other things. Human beings have the ability to debate and argue using their god given intelligence. When you get personal, like calling them a dick, a dweeb, childish...., that is unnessary and does nothing to further your argument.  I would have PMd you but you have posted you don't do PMs.

As I said, the admin have better things to do than monitor this stuff so this will be my last post about this and then let's get back on topic. Your above post is exactly what I'm talking about so try to read this as constructive criticism because that's what it is.

Earlier in the thread I stated that the post you made yesterday complaining to the admin that AGD called you a dweeb in a PM was childish. Sorry but that is not an example of me calling you childish. It is me calling that specific piece of behaviour childish. A very different thing and certainly not an example of me, 'calling you names' (jeez!).

You're right that this stuff can escalate but you seem to want to deny that you play a role in that.

Anyway, that's it and thank you for not sending me a PM because I genuinely don't get why anyone on the board would send PMs to people they've never met and don't know unless there was a tangible reason such as sharing the music.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 22, 2013, 01:23:03 PM »

As I said, the admin have better things to do than monitor this stuff so this will be my last post about this and then let's get back on topic. Your above post is exactly what I'm talking about so try to read this as constructive criticism because that's what it is.

Earlier in the thread I stated that the post you made yesterday complaining to the admin that AGD called you a dweeb in a PM was childish. Sorry but that is not an example of me calling you childish. It is me calling that specific piece of behaviour childish. A very different thing and certainly not an example of me, 'calling you names' (jeez!).

You're right that this stuff can escalate but you seem to want to deny that you play a role in that.

Anyway, that's it and thank you for not sending me a PM because I genuinely don't get why anyone on the board would send PMs to people they've never met and don't know unless there was a tangible reason such as sharing the music.

I am still trying to get where you got the idea my post was directed at only the board admin? It's twice you have stated this. I say it to you now and before.

When you direct a derogatory comment to someone in the first person, it's an insult. To speak generally, in the third person, not really. OSD goes off on ML and then people personally attack him, then tit for tat.

If I say, Nickos, your statements are childish, I am insulting you. You are not a child and your opinions are as important as anyone elses.

Nicko1234
« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2013, 01:33:18 PM »

I am still trying to get where you got the idea my post was directed at only the board admin? It's twice you have stated this. I say it to you now and before.

If I say, Nickos, your statements are childish, I am insulting you. You are not a child and your opinions are as important as anyone elses.

Do you mean the 'dweeb' post? You quoted one of the admin's posts and replied to it. You also said the admin should be banning people for things like that.

That's the point isn't it. If I were to say that your statements (plural and implying all of them) are childish then it would be an insult to you. I didn't and haven't though. I'm sure everyone on the board (again myself included) has posted drivel and then they have to expect someone to say, 'that's a stupid comment', 'that's insane', 'that's childish' etc. Not personal insults at all.

Anyway, let's get back on topic shall we...
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2013, 01:44:17 PM »

Do you mean the 'dweeb' post? You quoted one of the admin's posts and replied to it. You also said the admin should be banning people for things like that.

That's the point isn't it. If I were to say that your statements (plural and implying all of them) are childish then it would be an insult to you. I didn't and haven't though. I'm sure everyone on the board (again myself included) has posted drivel and then they have to expect someone to say, 'that's a stupid comment', 'that's insane', 'that's childish' etc. Not personal insults at all.

Where is it, I never said that. I said I went to PM with said individual and that person, instead of responding back via PM, posted insults. Please stop misquoting me and get it correct.

I totally disagree with your definition of insults. Make a comment like that and it's just going to escalate.  If the party feels offended, it's on. My point is you could choose your words more carefully, in my opinion.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2013, 01:46:01 PM »

And if you didn't have this aversion for PMs, we could save the bosrd from this mundane, tedious and probably boring discussion.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 01:52:01 PM by OregonRiverRider » Logged

EthanJames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 22, 2013, 01:51:46 PM »

Wow this is some appreciation thread for Mike love LOL
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 22, 2013, 01:53:38 PM »

I appreciate Mike's bass vocals a lot. He also had some good lead vocals. I don't really care for lyrics, not saying I don't care for his, just lyrics in general. I prefer the music over the words.

Really, that's about all I can say.

Continue your regularly scheduled arguments. Grin
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 22, 2013, 01:57:05 PM »

Despite my one appreciative post about ML, insults against him were bound to happen. As usual, civility was lost and personal attacks have hijacked the thread.

What would you expects to happen on a "Why I dislike Mike Love thread"? Same thing only a lot worse.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 22, 2013, 02:00:03 PM »

Mike is a lengendary front man. Really knows how to work the audience. I think his voice still sounds pretty darn good.

Nicko1234
« Reply #90 on: April 22, 2013, 02:00:23 PM »

Yep, lasted all of about 7 posts.  Smiley

Back on topic...

It will be interesting to see which rare Mike songs if any make the new box set. Obviously I would like plenty of unreleased Dennis stuff and any good Brian songs that are in the vaults but hopefully there might be some interesting Mike and Al tunes too. The early version of Big Sur would be a good inclusion and it will be interesting to see what 70s and 80s rarities can be unearthed. If solo recordings are considered then some from First Love and Unleash the Love (or the Adrian Baker stuff if they are feeling sadistic) might be included. Mike has written some pretty decent stuff when breaking away from the fun in the sun themes.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 22, 2013, 03:48:14 PM »

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
halblaineisgood
« Reply #92 on: April 22, 2013, 05:52:47 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 12:21:00 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 22, 2013, 05:58:11 PM »

And if you didn't have this aversion for PMs, we could save the bosrd from this mundane, tedious and probably boring discussion.

Amen, brother!  Wink

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 22, 2013, 06:26:44 PM »

I think it's pretty fitting for an appreciation thread for any Beach Boy. They more than any other band were the masters of drama, and these threads have plenty of drama.

I've said my share of negative things about ML but man the guy is the best nasal singer I've ever heard and his bass vocals are tops. And he's distinctive, very very distinctive. I also think he has or had some real potential as a songwriter had he got into it more. Everyone's in Love with You is a really pretty song if you ask me, and one of the highlights of 15 BO. I sometimes wonder why Mike and Bruce don't write some new songs together, Bruce is Brian lite and Mike could add more punch and some real soul to his tunes.

I also don't really mind Mike breaking up the C50 Beach Boys because I just don't think him and Brian are good for each other anymore. And I don't care if he tours with the BB name, I'm just not interested in them without new music.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 22, 2013, 10:18:46 PM »

Arguably the hardest working man in show business. Lives on the road. Relentlessly. Brings it every night and works the crowd like a ring master. That road warrior experience manifested itself during C50, when his between song monologues and leads were impeccably delivered - no doubt given gravitas by the assembled wall-of-sound behind him. How sad that he seemingly fails to understand how richly he shined in its reflection. A five-piece 'lets rock' lineup doesn't do him justice, me thinks.

There. I do not come to bury Lovester but to praise him. Sorta.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: April 23, 2013, 12:41:34 AM »

No apology necessary Micha.

I still think it is wrong to say that every time an opinion is posted someone posts "You're a hater".

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #97 on: April 23, 2013, 01:15:48 AM »

No apology necessary Micha.

I still think it is wrong to say that every time an opinion is posted someone posts "You're a hater".

Then I apologize. I didn't literally mean every single time.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 23, 2013, 01:35:08 AM »

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

IT IS NOT THE MIKE LOVE AMERICA WANTS

BUT THE MIKE LOVE AMERICA NEEDS

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 23, 2013, 04:23:31 AM »

LOL, I need to ask Mike Love for fashion tips. Hell, have Mike write a book on the subject "Love to be cool"

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx