gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:05:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 Go Down Print
Author Topic: More studio news  (Read 93594 times)
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: May 03, 2013, 04:47:45 PM »

Rendezvous (In Kokomo)
Kokomo Survivor
Won't Someone Go To Kokomo With Me
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: May 03, 2013, 04:51:16 PM »

Ballad Of OldSurferDude Smiley
He was born in 1932.... Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: May 03, 2013, 05:00:32 PM »

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: May 03, 2013, 05:33:18 PM »

Rendezvous (In Kokomo)
Kokomo Survivor
Won't Someone Go To Kokomo With Me

'LOVE will keep us together'

Sadly Carl told Mike after the MIU Sessions that a certain Neil had already written a song called that (and a Captain and some good looking bird had a big hit with it) already  LOL 
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: May 03, 2013, 05:40:32 PM »

More like "LOVE Will Tear Us Apart"
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: May 03, 2013, 05:49:11 PM »

Leaked track from Brian's new album:

I'd Do Anything for (Mike) Love (But I Won't Do That)

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: May 04, 2013, 12:59:14 AM »

I'm frankly amazed Mike and Bruce don't write together. Isn't Bruce supposed to be a songwriter or something?

A lean and mean "Beach Boys" album from Mike/Bruce and their band could be a very cool thing....... or horrible.

B

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Nicko1234
« Reply #432 on: May 04, 2013, 03:25:17 AM »

Still surprises me that Mike didn't release "Unleash the Love." It's at least on par with Jardine's record, and generally has stronger songwriting. For someone so confident onstage, Mike is oddly reticent when it comes to releasing those 50 or so solo albums he's secretly recorded over the last 30 years.

I would guess that again comes down to an older guy not understanding the record business anymore. It seemed like after that album had been recorded Mike was doing plenty of interviews in order to try to drum up some interest but realistically major record labels were never likely to release an album like that. A shame that he didn't issue it on a small label though as M&B play to so many fans every year that they would have been certain to sell a moderate amount at concerts (as well as selling on the internet).

petzounds29
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: May 04, 2013, 05:26:31 AM »

retro disco hit love to love you baby
modestmaus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: May 04, 2013, 05:31:42 AM »

I keep getting excited and disappointing myself when I see words like "Brian's in the studio with Beck" as opposed to "Brian's in the studio with Jeff Beck". Not that Brian working with a virtuoso like Jeff Beck is a disappointment. Just that Brian working with Beck (as in "the Odelay guy") would be real swell too.

Really though, much like Lindsey Buckingham, Beck is a guy who certainly has pop sensibilities but has a panache for the 'weird' and I rather like it when people like that work with Brian.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 05:34:05 AM by modestmaus » Logged
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: May 24, 2013, 11:55:35 AM »

The latest issue of Mojo has a 3/4 page on the new Brian album focusing on the collaboration with Jeff Beck.

Some choice quotes:

Earlier this year Wilson and Beck spent a week in the studio. "They got along famously and came up with some new things" says Brian's collaborator Joe Thomas. The LP's one non original, he added, is a traditional song familiar to them both from their youths.: " It's actually the first song Brian ever learned to sing from his grandmother," says Thomas. "Jeff Beck blasted off this one version and it knocked Brian out of the ballpark and then Brian came up with an arrangement and within a few hours there was this magical version" The song, whose title they're keeping secret for now " will blow everyone's minds".

« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 12:02:57 PM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: May 24, 2013, 12:01:37 PM »

And ...

Thomas reminded him of their 80 hours of unreleased material from those (1998) sessions. He put them in digital files and Brian referred to some when writing songs for last year's TWGMTR. Others he wanted to save for a solo record. "He was very specific about which were which," says Thomas, " and in a lot of cases, the ones for his own album are a lot edgier." He also wanted to write new songs. "I've known him for 20 years and I've never seen him so prolific." So many, Brian says, he can't remember the titles. There's "no concept" this time, "just music. I love the music."
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 12:04:08 PM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: May 24, 2013, 12:02:08 PM »

...says Brian's collaborator Joe Thomas.

Angry  Angry  Angry  Angry  Angry  Angry  Angry

You know what, this could be good.
"Summer's Gone" has good production values, and he worked on that.

The LP's one non original, he added, is a traditional song familiar to them both from their youths.: " It's actually the first song Brian ever learned to sing from his grandmother," says Thomas. "Jeff Beck blasted off this one version and it knocked Brian out of the ballpark and then Brian came up with an arrangement and within a few hours there was this magical version" The song, whose title they're keeping secret for now " will blow everyone's minds".

"Come Down From Your Ivory Tower" perhaps?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 12:08:11 PM by EgoHanger1966 » Logged

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: May 24, 2013, 12:09:42 PM »

is the song "Love is a woman" about Mike Love?Huh Shocked Shocked Shocked
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: May 24, 2013, 12:11:37 PM »

Thanks for the update Buddhahat!

...says Brian's collaborator Joe Thomas.

Angry  Angry  Angry  Angry  Angry  Angry  Angry

You know what, this could be good.
"Summer's Gone" has good production values, and he worked on that.

Indeed - every one of Brian's heartfelt songs on there were actually pretty well produced. I'm still really psyched for this!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: May 24, 2013, 12:13:15 PM »

I guess BW has to work with JT to use his 1998 material.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: May 24, 2013, 12:13:52 PM »

I can't help thinking that some, if not all, of the 'life suite' songs Thomas described previously must be earmarked for this album if it is almost entirely original material.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 12:52:12 PM by buddhahat » Logged

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: May 24, 2013, 12:53:35 PM »

Joe Thomas didn't hurt TWGMTR, He ruined the live album.

I guess it's a toss up for Brian's solo album.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: May 24, 2013, 12:57:18 PM »

The latest issue of Mojo has a 3/4 page on the new Brian album focusing on the collaboration with Jeff Beck.

Some choice quotes:

Earlier this year Wilson and Beck spent a week in the studio. "They got along famously and came up with some new things" says Brian's collaborator Joe Thomas. The LP's one non original, he added, is a traditional song familiar to them both from their youths.: " It's actually the first song Brian ever learned to sing from his grandmother," says Thomas. "Jeff Beck blasted off this one version and it knocked Brian out of the ballpark and then Brian came up with an arrangement and within a few hours there was this magical version" The song, whose title they're keeping secret for now " will blow everyone's minds".

Thanks, Buddahat. Do you think that song they collaborated on might be "Danny Boy" by chance?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: May 24, 2013, 12:59:18 PM »

I think he did far more harm to That's Why God Made The Radio than to the live album, myself.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: May 24, 2013, 01:21:36 PM »

I think he did far more harm to That's Why God Made The Radio than to the live album myself.

I think he did far more harm to That's Why God Made The Radio than to the live album myself.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 01:22:40 PM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: May 24, 2013, 01:22:39 PM »

I think he did far more harm to That's Why God Made The Radio than to the live album, myself.

Really?

I quite like TWGMTR. Wasn't he heavily involved in the suite at the end

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: May 24, 2013, 01:46:54 PM »

Really?

I quite like TWGMTR. Wasn't he heavily involved in the suite at the end

As Brian's collaborator, he did a fantastic job!

As a producer, mixed bag IMO. Think About The Days, Pacific Ocean Highway, and Summer's Gone feature some really nice production choices. On the other side of the spectrum, much of the album (title track, Isn't It Time, Spring Vacation for example, there are more) sounds terribly over processed. Then there's the things that bring down otherwise good choices - such as the out of place, 80s sounding drum roll that starts of "Shelter" (and the burying of the harpsichord so it's almost inaudible) and the pitch correction/autotune/whatever software that is used on Al Jardine's voice on From There To Back Again.

The mix of "Summer's Gone" is really great, I would have loved to seen the whole album mixed in that style. Without looking it up, I'd assume he was at least involved in the mix....

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: May 24, 2013, 01:52:35 PM »

I'm always straining to hear that harpsichord in Shelter - it's so low in the mix I don't even know why they left it in!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: May 24, 2013, 01:56:36 PM »

..... there's a harpsichord in Shelter?!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx