gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:22:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Made In California set for August 27th!!!!  (Read 127248 times)
Vega-Table Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #550 on: June 11, 2013, 10:58:01 AM »

I wonder what they found to create a 2012 stereo mix of Do It Again?

Extraction mix...?
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: June 11, 2013, 11:08:36 AM »

I wonder why no Surf's Up live 1971-1973....  Cry
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #552 on: June 11, 2013, 11:17:18 AM »

Ooo. I just noticed Back Home coupled with the '63 tracks. goodie goodie goodie.

Good eye! Keep finding new things every time I read this lol.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #553 on: June 11, 2013, 11:20:36 AM »

Extraction mix...?
I doubt it. They have those for Rhonda and GV, but they elected to use the mono mixes of those two songs.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #554 on: June 11, 2013, 11:23:30 AM »

Extraction mix...?
I doubt it. They have those for Rhonda and GV, but they elected to use the mono mixes of those two songs.

But didn't Steve Desper say that the multitracks of Do It Again were lost forever?

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
The Radiant Radish
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #555 on: June 11, 2013, 11:50:10 AM »

Very LARGE (1500 pixels wide) version of cover art! Rather nice.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #556 on: June 11, 2013, 12:59:35 PM »

Extraction mix...?

But didn't Steve Desper say that the multitracks of Do It Again were lost forever?
Yeah, I thought so too. Maybe they found it in somebody's garage. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #557 on: June 11, 2013, 02:01:03 PM »

I'm going to pop in again here and say that this is absolutely fantastic! Whether or not the new stuff is thirty forty or twenty five percent of the new box set...it seems that the Beach Boys are finally serving their long time, dedicated fans.

Having said that, this darn thing comes out two days after I go to college. Wouldn't It Be Nice (To Live Again) better be on iTunes.   LOL

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #558 on: June 11, 2013, 03:07:28 PM »

probably used the version they recorded for the Walmart CD

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #559 on: June 11, 2013, 03:22:46 PM »

Probably won't be able to afford the actual thing, goddammit  Cry Never mind the real estate a boxset takes up. It looks surprisingly good - California Feeling, twice! WIBNTLA! I'm a sucker for acapella tracks! You're Still A Mystery! A Blondie Wild Honey in good quality! Mona Kana! I can't get the mental image that 'I Believe In Miracles' is actually The Beach Boys singing Hot Chocolates 'You Sexy Thing' out of my mind!

Bootleg quality annoys me nowadays. I will say that not releasing Stevie was an act of genuine bedlam, though. If any song needed decent fidelity....

To iTunes on the day of release, I guess. If RCA can put 17 CDs of Nilsson, and with ample amount of fresh unreleased tracks, out for £50.00, why does this have to cost so much? TSS was a similar price and it looked like a real storefront. Is that tidal wave on the cover going to be made of real water?

*grumble grumble poverty grumble*

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #560 on: June 11, 2013, 03:27:35 PM »

To iTunes on the day of release, I guess. If RCA can put 17 CDs of Nilsson, and with ample amount of fresh unreleased tracks, out for £50.00, why does this have to cost so much? TSS was a similar price and it looked like a real storefront. Is that tidal wave on the cover going to be made of real water?

Remember, the Nilsson box cost that much in the US, too. We don't know what the UK charge for this is going to be, yet...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #561 on: June 11, 2013, 03:32:25 PM »

I hope this "3.    Meant For You (Alternate Version) " features a longer tag.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #562 on: June 11, 2013, 03:33:58 PM »

Andrew,

My only doubt on that front is that the price discrepancy between US & UK on BB's product wasn't going that great last time - A Smile box in America goes for $144, and I paid... £120 for mine?

Then again, that Nilsson box is probably going to be a shoebox with 17CDs inside - no-one's mentioned booklets with that, unlike the link here.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/beach-boys-to-cap-50th-anniversary-with-career-spanning-box-set-20130611

So that naturally ramps up the price.... Sigh.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

Paulos
« Reply #563 on: June 11, 2013, 03:48:10 PM »

Andrew,

My only doubt on that front is that the price discrepancy between US & UK on BB's product wasn't going that great last time - A Smile box in America goes for $144, and I paid... £120 for mine?

Then again, that Nilsson box is probably going to be a shoebox with 17CDs inside - no-one's mentioned booklets with that, unlike the link here.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/beach-boys-to-cap-50th-anniversary-with-career-spanning-box-set-20130611

Wait till its on amazon.ca, I got my Smile set from there delivered to the UK for far less than getting it from amazon.co.uk

*EDIT*

It's on amazon.ca - http://www.amazon.ca/Made-California-CD-Box-Set/dp/B008XZKSRY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370990928&sr=8-1&keywords=made+in+california - $112.34 = £70.65 at current exchange rates.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 03:51:09 PM by Paulos » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #564 on: June 11, 2013, 03:54:21 PM »

Don't tempt me, man, I'm supposed to be looking for a new place to live  LOL

lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #565 on: June 11, 2013, 05:01:21 PM »

Chronologically my @$$! The front cover art looks like a kid in elementary school made it. I didn't know waves were yellow...
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #566 on: June 11, 2013, 06:04:46 PM »

probably used the version they recorded for the Walmart CD
Say it ain't so, Joe!

Thankfully, it is situated with the 20/20 songs, so I'm thinking they found stuff.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Jimmie_R
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #567 on: June 12, 2013, 12:44:08 AM »

And.... *pre-ordered*  Grin Grin Grin Cool Guy
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: June 12, 2013, 01:24:26 AM »

Andrew,

Wait till its on amazon.ca, I got my Smile set from there delivered to the UK for far less than getting it from amazon.co.uk

*EDIT*

It's on amazon.ca - http://www.amazon.ca/Made-California-CD-Box-Set/dp/B008XZKSRY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370990928&sr=8-1&keywords=made+in+california - $112.34 = £70.65 at current exchange rates.

Did it arrive on time/early though?

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #569 on: June 12, 2013, 06:50:38 PM »

Been a while since I posted here, but I thought I'd toss in my two cents.

While it looks grand and there IS great stuff on it, there's still so much missing here that merits inclusion and some head scratching that ponders why they are not.

I'm Going Your Way
River Song (group version) (I know the tapes were allegedly wiped for Dennis' version, but something exists of the original)
Santa Ana Winds (alternate)
Looking Down The Coast
Dirty Ding Dang (Rollin' Up To Heaven) - just for humor's sake
Carry Me Home
It's Trying To Say
Big Sur (alternate)
Good Timin' (early version)
Surf's Up ('72 alternate)
Everybody Wants To Live
Go and Get That Girl
Lines
California Dreamin' (early version)
One Kiss Led To Another (Party sessions)
Slip On Through (alternate backing track)
The Letter

Other immediate thoughts:
* There are more bits to Can't Wait Too Long that remain unreleased, I hope they are part of the a cappella version on this set.
* Why on Earth was "Da Doo Ron Ron" from the KTSA era included... it's terrible! Little Girl from the same era would have been a better choice.
* 3 versions of Heroes & Villains on disc 3???
* I'm wondering if Linett is holding onto the Adult Child era material for a potential release of its own.
* Help Me, Rhonda (New Jersey 1972)Huh It's gotta be really good or why would this overplayed song need a live version released?
* Help You, Rhonda (“Lei’d In Hawaii” Studio Version) ... is pretty weak.
* Had To Phone Ya... we needed the released version AND backing track on this set?
* Somewhere Near Japan got snubbed.
* Beach Boys Medley ... what about this one?  Wink

Still ... looking VERY forward to the box in August!
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: June 12, 2013, 10:10:23 PM »

Been a while since I posted here, but I thought I'd toss in my two cents.

While it looks grand and there IS great stuff on it, there's still so much missing here that merits inclusion.....

The Letter

The Letter is on there (Disc 5 - Track 13). Though, I'm curious as to why they refer to it as a "Hawaii Rehearsal" vs. the actual post-concert, 9/67 Heider date that we obviously know and love? That is, unless this box set version truly is from the bona fide, pre-concert rehearsal (which it sounds like it might very well be, considering that it's situated on the live disc). Possibly one of those real soundcheck/rehearsal recordings.

Other immediate thoughts:
* Help Me, Rhonda (New Jersey 1972)Huh It's gotta be really good or why would this overplayed song need a live version released?

Probably because Dennis would most likely be singing it, as he already was by '72. Something unique and different for an old warhorse, that is. Smiley

* Had To Phone Ya... we needed the released version AND backing track on this set?

Assuming that what's being included is what I'm referring to, probably because that "strings-up," backing track version of Had To Phone You truly is incredible (IMHO). A real link to days-gone-by that, frankly, casts Brian's arrangement in a whole new light. One might say light years away from 15 BOs...and more like something from Pet Sounds.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: June 13, 2013, 03:55:00 AM »

* Beach Boys Medley ... what about this one?  Wink

Regardless of our personal feelings towards it, I've always felt that it, and to a lesser extent the 1979 "Here Comes The Night" SHORT version, should be included in a career spanning box set.  The latter almost made the Top 40 and the former went all the way to #12 in the states...in 1981! 

And don't even get me started on "Wipe Out".   Grin
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: June 13, 2013, 07:16:40 AM »

What is the '72 alternate version of Surf's Up?

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #573 on: June 13, 2013, 07:18:12 AM »

Live version, for (IIRC) Dutch radio. A nice version, but not something utterly revelatory or anything.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #574 on: June 13, 2013, 07:31:41 AM »

Live version, for (IIRC) Dutch radio. A nice version, but not something utterly revelatory or anything.

Oh buy…  I have heard that (I think), and found it quite gorgeous.  Nice to know!

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx