gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:13:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Made In California set for August 27th!!!!  (Read 127165 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: May 24, 2013, 01:19:00 PM »

Oh wait, you said 'PHIL was right'....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: May 24, 2013, 02:08:42 PM »

NO alternate takes, mixes, mono mixes, stereo mixes, binaural mixes, instrumental mixes, a cappella mixes. Waste of space. (heresy warning #2) I have a tin ear and I can't tell if I'm listening to mono or stereo and I couldn't care less. I just want the songs. The released album/single version is nearly always the best.

NO live versions unless it's a radically different arrangement from the studio version, or a song that doesn't exist in a decent studio version. I don't understand the obsession with getting live versions. I nearly always prefer the studio version. (Heresy warning #2) I'm not even a fan of "In Concert" or "live in London", though I do like "Concert" for its otherwise unavailable cover versions.

You're crazy.  What kind of fan are you?

Phil Cohen's alternate account  Grin
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: May 25, 2013, 12:31:24 AM »

The new Moody Blues "box set, they are calling it", has had it's release date pushed back to June 25. Guess Phil was right, it's all a plot.

http://www.classichitsandoldies.com/v2/2013/05/24/the-moody-blues-schedule-new-release-date-for-timeless-flight-box-set-announce-fall-us-tour/

"The Moody Blues have announced a new release date for Timeless Flight, a massive box set gathering together the band’s biggest hits, rarities and live performances, as well as archival video footage. The 17-disc collection now is scheduled to be released on June 25.  It includes 11 CDs, six DVDs, pieces of Moody Blues memorabilia and more."

Ok, which is it, box set or boxed set? I am confused.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #453 on: May 28, 2013, 04:51:41 AM »

Well, he's gone off in a strop again now...

Nope, not in the least (i.e. you're wrong - again  Grin): since May 13th I've had my #1 US friends (since 1977) over here and been touring with them for ten days (Herefordshire, Ludlow, Cotswolds, Hay-on-Wye, Cardiff and Chichester, also Brighton to catch Adam Marsland do an excellent set at The Greys - get his new album, it's seriously good) then holing up in a tiny cottage by myself for four days, and all that was far more important - not to say more enjoyable - than reading and posting here. Cleansing, even. Old habits die hard, however, so I got the live album on release, and frankly, not impressed. Maybe I need to listen more, when I'm having less fun, or after a shitty day at work. Just a thought.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
MBE
« Reply #454 on: May 28, 2013, 05:17:17 AM »

Nope, not in the least (i.e. you're wrong - again  Grin): since May 13th I've had my #1 US friends (since 1977) over here and been touring with them for ten days (Herefordshire, Ludlow, Cotswolds, Hay-on-Wye, Cardiff and Chichester, also Brighton to catch Adam Marsland do an excellent set at The Greys - get his new album, it's seriously good) then holing up in a tiny cottage by myself for four days, and all that was far more important - not to say more enjoyable - than reading and posting here. Cleansing, even. Old habits die hard, however, so I got the live album on release, and frankly, not impressed. Maybe I need to listen more, when I'm having less fun, or after a shitty day at work. Just a thought.

I haven't played it yet but if it doesn't come off well I feel bad. Chicago the first night was one of Brian's best post 1970 shows.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #455 on: May 28, 2013, 06:56:51 AM »

Well, you've proved me wrong several times Andrew, in fact every time I've said "deep down he's a nice guy"
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #456 on: May 28, 2013, 07:04:38 AM »

Well, you've proved me wrong several times Andrew, in fact every time I've said "deep down he's a nice guy"

C'mon, pucker up and give us a big kiss.  Grin

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: May 28, 2013, 07:07:08 AM »

Very cool, good sir. Outside perspective can be revelatory for BB fans -- our favorite band has a way of disappearing up its own backside from time to time.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: May 28, 2013, 08:18:17 AM »

Jeez, I didn't think anyone even knew where Brad is, much less touring with him....    Roll Eyes

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #459 on: May 28, 2013, 09:29:17 AM »

Tish-boom ! Drum

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: May 28, 2013, 11:37:00 AM »

Sounds like a fun 10 days.  Will check out the Grey's new album.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
oldsurferdude
« Reply #461 on: May 28, 2013, 12:14:11 PM »

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #462 on: May 28, 2013, 12:24:42 PM »

Aaaaahhh, bless... Grin

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #463 on: May 28, 2013, 08:09:11 PM »

I haven't played it yet but if it doesn't come off well I feel bad. Chicago the first night was one of Brian's best post 1970 shows.

Hmmm...I seem to recall reviews saying Brian was more engaged the second night in Chicago...which made me glad, since that's the one show I made it to!  Smiley
MBE
« Reply #464 on: May 29, 2013, 02:02:25 AM »

He was better the first from what I have heard audio wise since, but as we were both there different nights it is subjective.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #465 on: June 02, 2013, 10:48:45 AM »

I hope that we might get the whole '65 Chicago show on the new boxset. That would be awesome

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: June 02, 2013, 04:43:31 PM »

The 1965 Chicago show is the high point of the original group's live shows.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: June 02, 2013, 10:56:47 PM »

The lack of news about MIC is pretty boring. Where are the news? It's all behind the wall...of secrecy  Tongue
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #468 on: June 03, 2013, 02:00:43 AM »

I hope that we might get the whole '65 Chicago show on the new boxset. That would be awesome

To compare with the latest, 2012, live release - yup, that's really likely, isn't it ?  Grin

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: June 03, 2013, 02:40:44 AM »

I wouldn't mind a few live versions of "rare" songs, like Angel Come Home from Springfield 1979 for example, or Livin' With A Heartache from Philly 1980. I'd like to have Goin' On from the Philly show, but with the lyrics flub, it's unlikely.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: June 03, 2013, 06:20:52 PM »

To compare with the latest, 2012, live release - yup, that's really likely, isn't it ?  Grin
Aw, hell, if that's the issue, then I say grow a pair, cowboy up and include the whole glorious thing - damn the torpedoes!   Rock!
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: June 03, 2013, 07:32:23 PM »

The lack of news about MIC is pretty boring. Where are the news? It's all behind the wall...of secrecy  Tongue

sounds like somebody missed the press release.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: June 06, 2013, 09:23:05 PM »

Despite my hope that we'd get the left over Radio tracks on MIC, Bruce's posts on the BBB board would indicate otherwise.

Question was regarding releasing Bruce's "lost recordings":

"Tim: I have no "Lost Recordings" but I do have a few private instrumental recordings that I'm hoping to release in Japan (there is a possible label offer). I also have a nice vocal re-do demo of "She Believes In Love Again" and Rowie has the only copy of it (I burned a disc for her a few years ago). FYI: We now have a very recent Beach Boys recording of "She Believes In Love Again" about 180 degrees opposite our 1985 released version. It was a possible track for our BB 50 studio album but it now lives in the BB/Capitol Records music vault. The track is completely mixed down to a stereo two track mix. If you wait long enough you can consider that track "lost." Bruce Johnston Montecito June 5, 2013 

Californian: The first version of "She Believes In Love Again" (1985) would have been a perfect song for Hall & Oates 'back in the day.' A few years ago I made a softer approach demo of my song and I also took out the bridge. I was thinking of sort of a Nashville direction for the song. As there was time available for me to record during the the recording of the 'That's Why God Made The Radio' album, I gave "She Believes In Love Again" another shot.It's very close to the more resent demo that I sent to Rowie. It's a sweet recording hearing our Beach Boys voices wrapped around my song but most likely it does not really work for our BB 50th album. Hmmmmmm......Perhaps someone will break into the music vaults as they usually do and create a Beach Boys bootleg version. Bruce Johnston Montecito June 6, 2013"

MBE
« Reply #473 on: June 06, 2013, 09:48:17 PM »

I can't see the TWGMTR version being worse than the 1985 cut, I would be interested to hear it at least once.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: June 06, 2013, 10:06:45 PM »

Despite my hope that we'd get the left over Radio tracks on MIC, Bruce's posts on the BBB board would indicate otherwise.

Question was regarding releasing Bruce's "lost recordings":

"Tim: I have no "Lost Recordings" but I do have a few private instrumental recordings that I'm hoping to release in Japan (there is a possible label offer). I also have a nice vocal re-do demo of "She Believes In Love Again" and Rowie has the only copy of it (I burned a disc for her a few years ago). FYI: We now have a very recent Beach Boys recording of "She Believes In Love Again" about 180 degrees opposite our 1985 released version. It was a possible track for our BB 50 studio album but it now lives in the BB/Capitol Records music vault. The track is completely mixed down to a stereo two track mix. If you wait long enough you can consider that track "lost." Bruce Johnston Montecito June 5, 2013 

Big surprise that the remake goes in a "Nashville" direction according to Bruce. And why do I get the feeling it's more Brad Paisley than Hank Williams Roll Eyes
Californian: The first version of "She Believes In Love Again" (1985) would have been a perfect song for Hall & Oates 'back in the day.' A few years ago I made a softer approach demo of my song and I also took out the bridge. I was thinking of sort of a Nashville direction for the song. As there was time available for me to record during the the recording of the 'That's Why God Made The Radio' album, I gave "She Believes In Love Again" another shot.It's very close to the more resent demo that I sent to Rowie. It's a sweet recording hearing our Beach Boys voices wrapped around my song but most likely it does not really work for our BB 50th album. Hmmmmmm......Perhaps someone will break into the music vaults as they usually do and create a Beach Boys bootleg version. Bruce Johnston Montecito June 6, 2013"

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx