gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:26:29 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Made In California set for August 27th!!!!  (Read 127166 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2013, 07:03:44 AM »

Several years ago, adamghost made a few posts about some of the recordings that Alan Boyd had on his Ipod(I believe it was an Ipod). From the little that I can recall, adamghost listed some songs that were a treasure trove of recordings from the KTSA sessions/era. Perhaps if adamghost sees this post he might be willing to share any details or song titles. Or perhaps I may have unwittingly just put Adam and Alan in some hot water...I hope not.   Lips Sealed

MArk Dillon refers to some KTSA tracks in his "50 Shades of Beach Boys" book. Only passing mentions, in the chapter in which Randy Bachman talks about the track KTSA and just how good the Beach Boys woulda been if he'd been allowed to join.  Me too…

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2013, 09:07:02 AM »

Would not surprise me that a band member  or representative made Alan leave the project in the first place.

Not the reason. As with most matters BB-related, the backstory will doubtless emerge in the fullness of time.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2013, 09:35:45 AM »

Several years ago, adamghost made a few posts about some of the recordings that Alan Boyd had on his Ipod(I believe it was an Ipod). From the little that I can recall, adamghost listed some songs that were a treasure trove of recordings from the KTSA sessions/era. Perhaps if adamghost sees this post he might be willing to share any details or song titles. Or perhaps I may have unwittingly just put Adam and Alan in some hot water...I hope not.   Lips Sealed

Was just browsing through the KTSA thread and found this:

One of the privileges of touring with Alan Boyd was I got to listen to his I-Pod one day in the back of the van.  There were several KTSA outtakes on there that were superior to what was on the album.  "Surfer Suzie" is a kickass track but too retro-surfer goofy for my taste (more than "Some of Your Love").  "I Will Always Love You" was a Carl-sung power ballad that, IMHO, they really should have put on there, because it sounds like a huge CHR hit circa 1980.  It would have been out of sync on the album -- but that's why.  And Brian's version of "Smoky Places" was fun a listen, and a good vocal from him.  I did not think that was true of "Oh!  Darling"  Yes, Brian's vocal had more of an edge to it, but the problem is the song just plods; it's dull as dishwater.

My take on KTSA; title track, Santa Ana Winds are great (I disagree that the L.A. version is better though the processing on Al's vocals very nearly ruins the KTSA version); Goin' On and Endless Harmony are good; Sunshine, Oh!  Darling and WGGT are atrocious.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Jason
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2013, 09:39:48 AM »

I'll Always Love You, meaning a cover of the Barry Mann hit.
Nicko1234
« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2013, 10:54:05 AM »

The amazing thing about KTSA is how much effort they put into making such a weak album.

Hopefully there are some originals from that era that might be releasable though. Maybe Goin' to the Beach, Starbaby or How's About a Little Bit...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 11:08:54 AM by Nicko1234 » Logged
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2013, 11:47:03 AM »

...songs that were a treasure trove of recordings from the KTSA sessions/era.

The only unreleased KTSA/1979 tracks I remember from Alan's house were "Why Didn't I Tell You?," and "Little Girl (Sunshine)," which had a note: "rough mix with scratch vocal."
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 11:50:55 AM by PongHit » Logged

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Nicko1234
« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2013, 11:53:57 AM »

The only unreleased KTSA/1979 tracks I remember from Alan's house were "Why Didn't I Tell You?," and "Little Girl (Sunshine)," which had a note: "rough mix with scratch vocal."

Why Didn't I Tell You? became Goin' On? Is that right?
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2013, 12:11:23 PM »

I have no clue, but someone here must know.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
Paulos
« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2013, 12:15:28 PM »

The amazing thing about KTSA is how much effort they put into making such a weak album.

Hopefully there are some originals from that era that might be releasable though. Maybe Goin' to the Beach, Starbaby or How's About a Little Bit...

Please god no, Goin' To The Beach is terrible and does not deserve an official release.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2013, 12:39:03 PM »

I have no clue, but someone here must know.

Did the version of "Why Didn't I Tell You" you listened to have lyrics PongHit?

The booted version of "Why Didn't I Tell You" is practically an instrumental "Goin' On" but instead of the vocal intro/reprise you have CRAZY drum solos, completely out of time and place. I think the bass line is a bit different, but nothing too major, it walks up for 2 bars where "Goin' On" goes down, I recall the synth is a little louder too. If you synced the two tracks you'd probably have a slightly better "Goin' On" (though you'd have to remove those really out of place drum solos, I can't imagine where Brian was going with that, it sounds as if the track is having a seizure)

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2013, 01:57:03 PM »

Did the version of "Why Didn't I Tell You" you listened to have lyrics PongHit?

Sorry, I don't remember. Whatever it was apparently didn't make a big impression on me.

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2013, 01:58:34 PM »

What about that Devo collaboration with Al Jardine lead vocals on "Worried Man Blues" -- oh wait, that's fictitious.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2013, 02:04:06 PM »

What about that Devo collaboration with Al Jardine lead vocals on "Worried Man Blues" -- oh wait, that's fictitious.

After being fired, Murry had to catch a new wave:

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: April 17, 2013, 02:09:03 PM »

OT, but coincidentally, I was editor & interviewer for Devo's only biographical book (http://amazon.com/We-Are-Devo-Not-Men/dp/0946719764/), and I'm currently the Consulting Producer of the forthcoming official DEVO documentary film: DEVOfilm.com

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2013, 02:39:11 PM »

OT, but coincidentally, I was editor & interviewer for Devo's only biographical book (http://amazon.com/We-Are-Devo-Not-Men/dp/0946719764/), and I'm currently the Consulting Producer of the forthcoming official DEVO documentary film: DEVOfilm.com

Cool.  Did you get your very own energy dome hat?

Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 17, 2013, 03:07:53 PM »

http://duck.fm/The+Beach+Boys/Made+In+California

If this is the real track list, it's not quite everything I hoped for.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: April 17, 2013, 03:12:53 PM »

Loved the early days stories in the book. More early b&w videos please!

We now return to our regularly scheduled box set.

Insert Quote

Ooo, the coveted six hour long version of Surfin' Safari. Apparently it makes Sister Ray look like... Sister Ray.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 04:19:08 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2013, 03:14:21 PM »

Actually, I bet one of the public domain CD companies could make a *killing* now if they put out a CD set of the Surfin' Safari sessions and called it Made In California...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: April 17, 2013, 04:06:15 PM »

Cool.  Did you get your very own energy dome hat?

Been a fan since age 9, starting becoming friends with the band at age 18, but oddly have never owned an Energy Dome.

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: April 17, 2013, 04:12:40 PM »

I just stick with the tyvek jumpsuits.
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 25, 2013, 04:17:07 PM »

I wonder if "We Got Love" would make the box set.  Like "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again," it was slated to be on an album and pulled.
I would think Mike's involvement co-writing the track would have pushed its release by now.
Nicko1234
« Reply #96 on: April 25, 2013, 04:23:00 PM »

I wonder if "We Got Love" would make the box set.  Like "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again," it was slated to be on an album and pulled.
I would think Mike's involvement co-writing the track would have pushed its release by now.

I think it should be a contender.

I'm not sure why you think Mike having a writing credit would make any difference? There are dozens and dozens of unreleased Mike Love songs in the vaults (many substandard of course) and he has never pushed for any to be included on a rarities collection as far as I know. There probably should be about 15-20 songs on MIC with a Mike writing credit that weren't on the 1993 box set anyway...
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 25, 2013, 04:24:51 PM »

I'm not sure why you think Mike having a writing credit would make any difference?

Just figured he'd push for his work to be included.  Not a big deal.  Royalties.

Is "Won't You Tell Me" really a Beach Boys recording?  I think it's from 1969.  
Sometimes with the quality of boots, you never know.

There's also the 1976 version of "Sherry She Needs Me."

Man, they can do 6 discs of just rarities.  But they won't.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 04:28:58 PM by TV Forces » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 25, 2013, 04:26:51 PM »

I wonder if "We Got Love" would make the box set.  Like "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again," it was slated to be on an album and pulled.

I think it should be a contender.

I'm not sure why you think Mike having a writing credit would make any difference? There are dozens and dozens of unreleased Mike Love songs in the vaults (many substandard of course) and he has never pushed for any to be included on a rarities collection as far as I know. There probably should be about 15-20 songs on MIC with a Mike writing credit that weren't on the 1993 box set anyway...

Eh, but then they have some weird aversion to Blondie and Ricky, even though they were so cool and looked to have fitted in sweetly with the new era 72 Beach Boys. They were probably the best thing to have happened to them at that point, tbh. But no, you won't hear from them during the C50 thing because they weren't founding members, which I respect, but I'll get back to my petition.

sh*t, what even is Ricky Fataar doing nowadays?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 25, 2013, 04:33:39 PM »

Ricky Fataar is still playing with Bonnie Raitt's band, which he has been doing for a very long time.  The band is phenomenal...Mike Finnigan on keys and Bonnie on Guitar....killer band. Watch their Austin City Limits set if you can find it.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx