gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681222 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 29, 2024, 08:50:05 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I found the tracklist for the live album!!!  (Read 43599 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 11, 2013, 06:36:00 PM »

Well I mean if you think about it, The Beach Boys haven't really had a proper live album since 1973, which is surprising considering how popular they are as a touring entity.  Bascally, Beach Boys live albums are not common practice.

Knebworth.
Also Songs From Here & Back.
And while the Beach Boys haven't released any more live albums until now other than those, remember that for much of that time the touring Beach Boys haven't had a license to record under that name. Brian's released two live albums and four live DVDs in the last fifteen years, and Al had his Live In Las Vegas album.

Neither Knebworth or the Songs from Here and Back album are considered part of the official Beach Boys canon.  Songs from Here and Back was an exclusive for Hallmark stores while Knebworth was pretty much nothing more than a soundtrack from the Eagle Rock's video release.  Not to mention both were released long after the actual shows were recorded.

I'm with you on the latter, but not the former. Knebworth was produced by Bruce Johnston at the time and was overdubbed extensively for a release soon after the performance. Didn't happen, but the Boys still clearly worked it up as a potential album.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 11, 2013, 07:02:01 PM »

Brian recording today at Ocean Way Recording in Hollywood CA

http://www.brianwilson.com/instagram

Sweetening vocals for the live album?  New R&R album? Finishing The Suite? Finishing Radio rejects for MIC? New BAD album?

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 11, 2013, 07:08:03 PM »

Brian recording today at Ocean Way Recording in Hollywood CA

http://www.brianwilson.com/instagram

New R&R album?

!!!!!!

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 11, 2013, 07:11:51 PM »

They post photos of Brian recording vocals like once every couple weeks. We'll see, I s'pose.

Also, I can't believe calling them "BAD" is catching on. Cry

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 11, 2013, 07:26:06 PM »

They post photos of Brian recording vocals like once every couple weeks. We'll see, I s'pose.

Yeah, obviously curious as to what's up.

BAD not good? How bout DAB? DBA? That works, DBA,  "Doing Business As"
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 07:39:51 PM by OregonRiverRider » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 11, 2013, 07:39:39 PM »

New BAD album?

Even recording his own solo album would make me ecstatic!

I think it's more than vocals over a live album - as the other pictures have shown Brian at a piano - captions saying he's "laying down tracks"

Could be for the 'Life Suite' - but I was under the impression he finished that during the recording for TWGMTR and they only allowed the 3 songs in for the record.

So my bet is on a new solo album Grin

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 11, 2013, 09:49:20 PM »

Very excited to hear new material from Brian.

He's been on fire since TLOS.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 11, 2013, 10:14:31 PM »

While BW is doing these tracks, where are the Beach Boys? This is the time. I do not at all care about a BW solo record and would barely pay attention to it. I want the BB together, and that's it. I have no more to say on the subject.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 11, 2013, 10:25:47 PM »

The Professor has spoken.

Class adjourned.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 11, 2013, 10:56:58 PM »

While BW is doing these tracks, where are the Beach Boys? This is the time. I do not at all care about a BW solo record and would barely pay attention to it. I want the BB together, and that's it. I have no more to say on the subject.

No offense professor, but may I ask how long you've been a Beach Boys fan? And what is your favorite album? Cuz I don't see how someone could love The Beach Boys, and thus most likely Brian's songs, and not be at all interested in new solo material from the man. I personally would prefer the guys work together, but it's not up to me. Anyways,  I know you like TWGMTR and he wrote every song on the album besides one. I mean, everybody is allowed to have their own opinion, but to me it seems like it's kinda more about who is working on the music rather than the actual music. It also seems you would rather these guys work together against their will rather than having Mike on the road doing his thing, and then Brian doing some recording and a few shows on his own or with Al and Dave. I wouldn't doubt that if asked he would probably love to do a "rock 'n roll" Beach Boys album. But it seems very likely that Mike isn't interested in that right now.  And that's his right, even though I wish it was otherwise.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 11, 2013, 11:06:20 PM »

Yeah, obviously curious as to what's up.

BAD not good? How bout DAB? DBA? That works, DBA,  "Doing Business As"

It's BAD Beach, dudes!

“We live in divisive times.”
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 11, 2013, 11:07:06 PM »

While BW is doing these tracks, where are the Beach Boys?

Same place they were when he was laying down tracks for "Pet Sounds".  :-)

Cheers,
Jon Blum
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 11, 2013, 11:51:54 PM »

Coming to this a bit late but it looks like a good track listing. My only disappointment is that there is no Summer's Gone, but the rest of the selection looks excellent.

Just a couple of comments, it looks like the two CDs will be pretty full. There may in fact be no space for one more song.

The average attention span of an adult human being is 40-48 minutes, which may be why many people find the LP format to be of pleasing length and lose attention after about 20 single-length tracks.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: April 12, 2013, 12:45:29 AM »

No offense professor, but may I ask how long you've been a Beach Boys fan? And what is your favorite album? Cuz I don't see how someone could love The Beach Boys, and thus most likely Brian's songs, and not be at all interested in new solo material from the man. I personally would prefer the guys work together, but it's not up to me. Anyways,  I know you like TWGMTR and he wrote every song on the album besides one. I mean, everybody is allowed to have their own opinion, but to me it seems like it's kinda more about who is working on the music rather than the actual music. It also seems you would rather these guys work together against their will rather than having Mike on the road doing his thing, and then Brian doing some recording and a few shows on his own or with Al and Dave. I wouldn't doubt that if asked he would probably love to do a "rock 'n roll" Beach Boys album. But it seems very likely that Mike isn't interested in that right now.  And that's his right, even though I wish it was otherwise.

Well, he has the right to have his own opinions. Do not consider this as an attack, sweetdudejim, but as a reflection: What you wrote seems to me like you are trying to tell him what he should be wanting.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 12, 2013, 01:22:36 AM »

Coming to this a bit late but it looks like a good track listing. My only disappointment is that there is no Summer's Gone, but the rest of the selection looks excellent.

Just a couple of comments, it looks like the two CDs will be pretty full. There may in fact be no space for one more song.

The average attention span of an adult human being is 40-48 minutes, which may be why many people find the LP format to be of pleasing length and lose attention after about 20 single-length tracks.

Nice addition. I wrote something to this effect earlier in the thread, and agree. It's not for nothing that Uni lectures last 45 mins. (standard in Holland, at any rate) and then there's a 15 minute break). IIRC the initial maximum length of a CD was 78 minutes - at the request of the then Sony CEO, that company collaborated with Dutch Philips to develop the CD. He wanted that because their previous plan was a 60 minutes length, which could not accomodate the full 5th symphony of Beethoven.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: April 12, 2013, 01:33:26 AM »

IIRC the initial maximum length of a CD was 78 minutes

74 minutes actually, but then I'm a nitpicker. Roll Eyes

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 12, 2013, 01:58:03 AM »

IIRC the initial maximum length of a CD was 78 minutes

74 minutes actually, but then I'm a nitpicker. Roll Eyes

Klugscheißer! Hast mir den janzen Tag versaut!

Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 12, 2013, 02:18:00 AM »

Huh

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 12, 2013, 02:45:36 AM »

"Smartass! I have messed up the whole day!"  according to Google Translator. But that's assuming the Don's talking German…  it could be Martian!

“We live in divisive times.”
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 12, 2013, 03:39:17 AM »

"Smartass! I have messed up the whole day!"  according to Google Translator. But that's assuming the Don's talking German…  it could be Martian!

Nearly there, John! Only the 'I' should've been: 'You', and that's because I wrote everyday conversational German, so I left out the 2nd person address that would have to be there in officially. Yes: it's real German, by the way...  LOL

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: April 12, 2013, 06:29:38 AM »

I think a lot would be dependent on who much non-music stage banter is included. But at this 20-21 songs per disc, I would tend to doubt that both discs are filled to the max. Some of the surf/car songs are pretty short, sometimes clocking in around or under two minutes. If each CD can hold 80 minutes, that would allow 3 ½ to 4 minutes per track.

My guess is that time constraints are probably not why we specifically got 41 tracks on this set. They clearly couldn’t have fit all 61 songs. Something probably more in the 50-55 songs would have been the max I’m guessing, again depending on how much “chit chat” would be included.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 12, 2013, 07:28:03 AM »

I think a lot would be dependent on who much non-music stage banter is included. But at this 20-21 songs per disc, I would tend to doubt that both discs are filled to the max. Some of the surf/car songs are pretty short, sometimes clocking in around or under two minutes. If each CD can hold 80 minutes, that would allow 3 ½ to 4 minutes per track.

My guess is that time constraints are probably not why we specifically got 41 tracks on this set. They clearly couldn’t have fit all 61 songs. Something probably more in the 50-55 songs would have been the max I’m guessing, again depending on how much “chit chat” would be included.

I just put together a playlist of this setlist from the Albert Hall show (which had minimal chatter). The first CD comes to fifty-nine minutes, the second to seventy (assuming they keep the band intros in, which I imagine they will).
Given that they were playing to clicks (I've not seen any confirmation of that, but I don't see how else they'd have stayed in sync for the video stuff) I'd imagine that would be pretty much dead on the final CD lengths.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: April 12, 2013, 07:30:10 AM »

Nearly there, John! Only the 'I' should've been: 'You', and that's because I wrote everyday conversational German, so I left out the 2nd person address that would have to be there in officially. Yes: it's real German, by the way...  LOL

Yeah, but interestingly with a Berlin accent! Smiley No kidding!

Wat bistn jetzte am Berlinern, Don? Grin

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 12, 2013, 09:22:59 AM »

Yeah, but interestingly with a Berlin accent! Smiley No kidding!

Wat bistn jetzte am Berlinern, Don? Grin

Don't know the verb 'Berlinern', Micha, does it have a special connotation? At any rate, I watch way too much Krimis, from Tatort via SOKO via Ein Fall Für Zwei, via Die Chefin, via Der Staatsanwalt, via Rosenheim Cops, via Polizeiruf 110, back to the repeats of old Tatorts.

So it is entirely an accidental matter which dialect I happen to use on any given day.

Might be Schwäbisch tomorrow, God Only Knows, to quote some entirely uninteresting music combo the name of which I seem to forget all of the time.

Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 12, 2013, 10:35:31 AM »

No love for "Betsy".  Tongue
Betsy wasn't performed at the two Chicago shows I saw.  But I did see it in Milwaukee and it was easily one of the standouts of the night for the amazing lead vocals and that it was another deep track that I wasn't expecting!  I would love to see it appear on this live album (if there are some bonus tracks somehow).  But I do understand that the band might want to highlight the songs sung by themselves first.  But that doesn't explain the absence of Cottonfields - a big moment for Al every night.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx