gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 03:11:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Mike Examiner interview  (Read 72712 times)
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: March 20, 2013, 03:24:00 PM »

If Brian had fulfilled his obligations with the C50 tour and then said "Well, I had a great time, but enough is enough. Now I want to dedicate 2013 to the recording of Pleasure Island, my next rock'n'roll album', I doubt anyone in this board would complain that Brian was letting the rest of the Beach Boys and the fans down.
Why would anymore care? He's not going around calling himself The Beach Boys
The fact is nobody can deny that Mike took his ball and went home when he felt like it. You can say he "fulfilled his obligations" etc, but the point remains, it's not his band.

It's as much his band as anyone's, arguably more so. Certainly he's the only member who never quit the band at one time or another.
But no, "the Beach Boys" belong to Mike, Al, Brian and Carl's estate -- who have agreed to let Mike do what he's doing.
And whoever owns "the Beach Boys", if Mike doesn't want to tour with the rest of them, why should he?
It's more Mike's band than Brian's? That's pretty crazy logic.
Shady - you might try to find the Larry King interview with Brian and Melinda to gain clarity as to why the band "name" went where it did.  It would put to rest this speculation about the band name.  While Brian crafted his band, on some level, Brian's work was focused in large part on "correcting" history, in my view.  

And Brian renewed and revived an interest in Pet Sounds, but, more importantly, with new "eyes" (his band) Brian was able to get the SMiLE in his band's live context, then, later, tackle the SMiLE Sessions. It might not have been his initial goal, but that is where he ended up, and I'm impressed that it was sort of unprecedented in music.  

Brian took a circuitous route, but got where he needed to go.  And, those sessions which became excavated, with the twenty-something voices of the band, sort of made him and the Band, "whole."  

Had Brian gone back on the road with the Boys, and not found a new path, his and the band's work might not have been realized. It honored his brothers, Dennis and Carl as well.  

It reminds me of Robert Frost's poem about "taking the road less traveled, and that has made all the difference."

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: March 20, 2013, 03:24:46 PM »

Thats been one of my main points for a while. Either they all use it or none at all use it.

Why? They (or a voting majority) are happy with the way things are (or happier as a group than any other alternative would make them). If Mike wasn't touring, they'd all be making less money. Hundreds of thousands of people a year wouldn't get to see a show they enjoy.

Can you name one person who would be better off in any way if Mike's band stopped touring (which is what would happen if he lost the license)? A *lot* of people would be worse off in ways ranging from seeing one less gig this year to losing their jobs. Who would be better off?

And if you can't name anyone who would be better off (not just financially, but in any way) then why on earth do you want something that would make the world just a slightly worse place than it is now?

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: March 20, 2013, 03:25:10 PM »

If Brian had fulfilled his obligations with the C50 tour and then said "Well, I had a great time, but enough is enough. Now I want to dedicate 2013 to the recording of Pleasure Island, my next rock'n'roll album', I doubt anyone in this board would complain that Brian was letting the rest of the Beach Boys and the fans down.

Why would anymore care? He's not going around calling himself The Beach Boys

Oh wait, then if Mike had dropped out and any use of the Beach Boys name discontinued, it would ne alright?
Thats been one of my main points for a while. Either they all use it or none at all use it.
Yeah, your points have become clear thousand times a day. I get it, you're not sorry that there won't be more reunion gigs, what pisses you off is that the bad guy got his way in the end. Mike's touring using the Beach Boys name, like he's been doing for 15 years.

You're just not getting it.

It was fine when the beach boys were gone and there were no signs of a reunion, a M&B show was better than nothing.

The anger now is that Mike actually put an end to the reunion and decided to go out with Bruce. He is actually denying us more shows this summer

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: March 20, 2013, 03:26:20 PM »

Hell, he is still sad he couldn't sing on Kokomo.

Come to think of it: just what WOULD Brian's part on Kokomo have been had he participated???

Oh, and can we please start a Mike/Bruce "groupies" thread. I would love to hear the stories....
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: March 20, 2013, 03:27:15 PM »

It was fine when the beach boys were gone and there were no signs of a reunion, a M&B show was better than nothing.

The anger now is that Mike actually put an end to the reunion and decided to go out with Bruce. He is actually denying us more shows this summer

And now, again, the Beach Boys are gone and there's no sign of a reunion, and a Mike & Bruce show is better than nothing.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: March 20, 2013, 03:29:40 PM »

Come to think of it: just what WOULD Brian's part on Kokomo have been had he participated???

Oh, and can we please start a Mike/Bruce "groupies" thread. I would love to hear the stories....
Do it. LOL LOL LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: March 20, 2013, 03:32:05 PM »

I get it, but all I'm asking is what if Brian had put an end to the reunion? Would he be denying us more shows this summer? Would you post to complain about his decision?

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: March 20, 2013, 03:35:09 PM »

Somebody on this board recently directed to a YouTube video of the Spanish version of "Kokomo". Brian is on there. You can actually hear him, he is near the top of the harmony stack.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: March 20, 2013, 03:36:11 PM »

Since the Beach Boys are now Mike and Bruce, they should make an album this way. Just Mike, his sidekick, and their backup band.
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: March 20, 2013, 03:36:56 PM »

Since the Beach Boys are now Mike and Bruce, they should make an album this way. Just Mike, his sidekick, and their backup band.

Frankly I'd take that over nothing. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: March 20, 2013, 03:38:15 PM »

I don't think the lisence agreement allows them to do that. If Mike released it under "celebration", that would be a different story.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: March 20, 2013, 03:40:16 PM »

Mike seems to hate the recording studio - doesn't he mention in this very interview it was boring or something?

Which, given that the best way to cement the Beach Boys legacy would be studio records, is another painful irony.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: March 20, 2013, 03:42:22 PM »

Mike seems to hate the recording studio - doesn't he mention in this very interview it was boring or something?

Which, given that the best way to cement the Beach Boys legacy would be studio records, is another painful irony.
Didn't one of the TWGMTR videos say he wrote lyrics in five minutes?

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: March 20, 2013, 03:47:08 PM »

Do it. LOL LOL LOL

I'd probably be banned instantly  Evil
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #414 on: March 20, 2013, 03:49:07 PM »

Why? They (or a voting majority) are happy with the way things are (or happier as a group than any other alternative would make them). If Mike wasn't touring, they'd all be making less money. Hundreds of thousands of people a year wouldn't get to see a show they enjoy.

Can you name one person who would be better off in any way if Mike's band stopped touring (which is what would happen if he lost the license)? A *lot* of people would be worse off in ways ranging from seeing one less gig this year to losing their jobs. Who would be better off?

And if you can't name anyone who would be better off (not just financially, but in any way) then why on earth do you want something that would make the world just a slightly worse place than it is now?

Exactly. If they had an issue with M&B using the name, they would have said or done something about it. If they don't have a problem with it, why should we? It'd be foolish to put it to a vote now, when that is a good part of Brian's income. Record sales aren't what they were. Royalties are way down. Brian's not hurting for cash, but why would he want to cut and/or kill his income in this day and age?

Also, do any of you really think Brian can handle the touring schedule M&B have?He did it last year despite having back issues, but to do it again (pardon the pun) immediately after? Notice that Brian only has two shows scheduled this year (so far)?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #415 on: March 20, 2013, 03:50:00 PM »

Do it. LOL LOL LOL

I'd probably be banned instantly  Evil

LOL

Trust me, you DON'T want to hear the stories LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: March 20, 2013, 03:52:41 PM »

Frankly I'd take that over nothing. 

Why not? Bruce is a professional, Grammy winning songwriter, right? I'll bet him and Mike could bang out 10 tunes at least and with that backing band, it would at least sound good! .... Frankly, a Mike/Bruce album with things like "Cool Head, Warm Heart" on it would be pretty dang cool... I'll even bet the other Beach Boys would show up for guest spots and it could be killer.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: March 20, 2013, 03:52:58 PM »

Get Steven Gaines on this!

"Heroes and Villains Part Two: The M&B Years"  LOL

Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: March 20, 2013, 03:54:51 PM »

Do it. LOL LOL LOL

I'd probably be banned instantly  Evil

yes. so please don't do it, k?

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: March 20, 2013, 03:56:13 PM »

Do it. LOL LOL LOL

I'd probably be banned instantly  Evil

yes. so please don't do it, k?

It just might be worth it Wink
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: March 20, 2013, 03:56:34 PM »

Get Steven Gaines on this!

"Heroes and Villains Part Two: The M&B Years"  LOL

HA!!!!!!!!!!!!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: March 20, 2013, 04:09:41 PM »

He could get plenty of women to talk about M&B's womanizing ways.......
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 04:10:36 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: March 20, 2013, 04:12:00 PM »

I don't think the lisence agreement allows them to do that. If Mike released it under "celebration", that would be a different story.
Oh, so now you're worried about violating the agreement. But Mike following the agreement to tour can be overlooked or taken away?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: March 20, 2013, 04:14:04 PM »

Oh, so now you're worried about violating the agreement. But Mike following the agreement to tour can be overlooked or taken away?
I am not worried about, I just know that one of the conditions of the agreement was that the use of the BBs name was for touring only.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: March 20, 2013, 04:19:38 PM »

I am not worried about, I just know that one of the conditions of the agreement was that the use of the BBs name was for touring only.
I am not sure either, but since Mike has rights to use the name to tour, there are probably exceptions in it where the name can't be used to record. Such as a live album and such.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.