gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 16, 2024, 03:07:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Mike Examiner interview  (Read 73348 times)
Nicko1234
« Reply #375 on: March 20, 2013, 02:35:27 PM »

Well, either:
She goes and doesn't care what Mike gets up to,
She doesn't go and doesn't care what Mike gets up to,
She doesn't go, does care but doesn't know what he gets up to or
He gets up to nothing because he's an old man and the rumours are just that.

We can probably discount the third option at least, and which of the other three options it is is their concern and not ours.

She obviously knew what she was getting when she married Dr. Love so she obviously isn't too bothered.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: March 20, 2013, 02:37:52 PM »

When I watched you walk with him
Tears filled my eyes
And when I heard you talk with him
I couldn't stand his lies

And now before he tries it
I hope you realize it, girl

Let him run wild, he don't care, baby
(Let him run)
Let him run wild, he'll find out, baby
(Let him run)
Let him run, run, run, run wild, baby
Guess you know I waited for you, girl

He'll do the same to other girls
That he did to you
Then one day he'll run in to one
That's gonna hurt him too

So before he makes you over
I'm gonna take you over

(Let him run)
(Let him run)
Guess you know I waited for you, girl

All the dreams you shared with him
You might as well forget
I know you need a truer love
And that's what you'll get

And now that you don't need him
Well he can have his freedom

(Let him run)
(Let him run)

(Let him run)
(Let him run)

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: March 20, 2013, 02:39:42 PM »

Chill pills all round?

+1.  Really wish everyone could be cool with everyone else's opinions, regardless of what you may think of them.  It is possible to respectfully disagree with someone without being insulting.  Everybody here would do well to remember that.

Smile Brian is a good friend of mine on this board and yet I completely disagree with his opinion on The Mike and Bruce Show. You can hold a different viewpoint from someone and still respect what they have to say. Some just can't view a Brianless BB's as anything less than sub par. I'm not bothered because Brian is by far the worst live performer out of the bunch. I think as long as M&B put on a good show then they are doing no harm to the legacy. How many 50+ year old bands are still out there in any configuration? Let Mike continue to fly the flag as he has done. Anytime the they can all put their collective baggage aside as they did for the C50 then let's just treat it for what it was - gravy.

But how do you feel about Mike putting an end to the C50 tour and deciding to return to his version of The Beach Boys.

I can't see how anyone feels that was an ok thing to do.

If this had happened say, only 10 years ago I would have been rather vocal that a permanent reunion would have been worth fighting for, but they're all in their 70's now!!!

Honestly how long do you think they could have possibly kept this thing rolling? Sooner or later I'm certain Brian would have jacked it in. That schedule would have broken him eventually. And then certain camps would have had to face the ugly truth that the world at large doesn't care if The Beach Boys features Al Jardine and David Marks in them or not. As long as it has that guy in the baseball cap up front belting out the classic hits then the Beach Boys brand name will always have market value. Mike knows this.

If in a year or two Brian's serious about getting the guys together for another new album Mike will sign up in a flash, but with the same mindset. An agreed timeframe to work within, a resulting spike in mainstream interest and then back to the day job before the whole thing turns into a chore.

Jeff made it pretty clear that the group had to turn down a bunch of dates because Mike had no interest in them. I don't know how the backstage politics were, maybe the wives got involved, nobody can be certain.

The fact is nobody can deny that Mike took his ball and went home when he felt like it. You can say he "fulfilled his obligations" etc, but the point remains, it's not his band.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 02:40:35 PM by Shady » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: March 20, 2013, 02:41:06 PM »

Thanks for your responses SMiLE Brian, Nicko1234, and AndrewHickey. I admit that I found it curious if Jackie (spelling?) would be concerned what Brian's "people" could do to Mike but wasn't concerned that Mike would be fu--ing every little honey that passed his way.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 20, 2013, 02:51:39 PM »

The fact is nobody can deny that Mike took his ball and went home when he felt like it. You can say he "fulfilled his obligations" etc, but the point remains, it's not his band.

It's as much his band as anyone's, arguably more so. Certainly he's the only member who never quit the band at one time or another.
But no, "the Beach Boys" belong to Mike, Al, Brian and Carl's estate -- who have agreed to let Mike do what he's doing.
And whoever owns "the Beach Boys", if Mike doesn't want to tour with the rest of them, why should he?

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: March 20, 2013, 02:53:50 PM »

Thanks for your responses SMiLE Brian, Nicko1234, and AndrewHickey. I admit that I found it curious if Jackie (spelling?) would be concerned what Brian's "people" could do to Mike but wasn't concerned that Mike would be fu--ing every little honey that passed his way.

Plenty of people have open relationships.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: March 20, 2013, 02:55:40 PM »

If Brian had fulfilled his obligations with the C50 tour and then said "Well, I had a great time, but enough is enough. Now I want to dedicate 2013 to the recording of Pleasure Island, my next rock'n'roll album', I doubt anyone in this board would complain that Brian was letting the rest of the Beach Boys and the fans down.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: March 20, 2013, 02:58:46 PM »

If Brian had fulfilled his obligations with the C50 tour and then said "Well, I had a great time, but enough is enough. Now I want to dedicate 2013 to the recording of Pleasure Island, my next rock'n'roll album', I doubt anyone in this board would complain that Brian was letting the rest of the Beach Boys and the fans down.

Why would anymore care? He's not going around calling himself The Beach Boys

It's as much his band as anyone's, arguably more so. Certainly he's the only member who never quit the band at one time or another.
But no, "the Beach Boys" belong to Mike, Al, Brian and Carl's estate -- who have agreed to let Mike do what he's doing.
And whoever owns "the Beach Boys", if Mike doesn't want to tour with the rest of them, why should he?

It's more Mike's band than Brian's? That's pretty crazy logic.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: March 20, 2013, 03:00:02 PM »

Got to agree with Shady here.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: March 20, 2013, 03:01:07 PM »

Well, Shady, your post and Andrew's response shows that we have probably moved beyond the point/stage of dwelling on what happened and why it happened. We have exhausted - I think - every possible reason and theory why the five Beach Boys are not together at this time. Taking a page from the Professor's (is there a capital p) book, should we now concentrate on where we, or more importantly, where THEY should go from here? Basically, what are Mike, Brian, Al, and Davis going to do now - if anything?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: March 20, 2013, 03:01:14 PM »

Not that I really enjoy talking about Mike unleashing the love....

I know I think Mike is a punk ass bitch but I would have never have suggested that the main reason The BB's did not stay reunited is because he could not bone increasingly insane (let's face it, they'd have to be) women at the shows. You guys must really hate him....

Dancing Bear, you're damn right I'd be annoyed at BW. But I'd also be annoyed at Brian if video was leaked of him proudly showing off his collection of Nazi memorabilia, and we could make up sh*t all day. We're annoyed at Mike for what he has done, not what he could potentially do.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: March 20, 2013, 03:04:39 PM »

Not really. Brian has, at a generous estimate, toured with the band for ten out of the fifty-one years it's been going, in total. For huge chunks of the last thirty years he's said, publicly and repeatedly, that he wanted nothing to do with the band and didn't care what they did. He even said in an interview a few years back "Mike Love is the Beach Boys now, and I'm Brian Wilson".

Other than a brief period around 1977, Brian has shown essentially no interest in being a Beach Boy since about 1968. Whatever else you want to say about Mike, that's not true of him.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: March 20, 2013, 03:07:29 PM »

Mate, he wanted to record a Beach Boys album pretty much the second Dr. Landy was wrenched away from him.

Like, sure, if you want to qualify 'being a Beach Boy' as 'playing live', Brian hasn't been a Beach Boy since 1964. But back then he hated playing live. He's only been into it for a decade and a bit. Now he wants to play live wit The Beach Boys, but oh no, as his mental problems meant he was unable to play live for vast swathes of the bands career, he shouldn't now? You're smarter than this, man.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 03:10:41 PM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: March 20, 2013, 03:08:23 PM »

Hell, he is still sad he couldn't sing on Kokomo.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: March 20, 2013, 03:10:44 PM »

Not really. Brian has, at a generous estimate, toured with the band for ten out of the fifty-one years it's been going, in total. For huge chunks of the last thirty years he's said, publicly and repeatedly, that he wanted nothing to do with the band and didn't care what they did. He even said in an interview a few years back "Mike Love is the Beach Boys now, and I'm Brian Wilson".

Other than a brief period around 1977, Brian has shown essentially no interest in being a Beach Boy since about 1968. Whatever else you want to say about Mike, that's not true of him.
Well, Shady, your post and Andrew's response shows that we have probably moved beyond the point/stage of dwelling on what happened and why it happened. We have exhausted - I think - every possible reason and theory why the five Beach Boys are not together at this time. Taking a page from the Professor's (is there a capital p) book, should we now concentrate on where we, or more importantly, where THEY should go from here? Basically, what are Mike, Brian, Al, and Davis going to do now - if anything?

I'd love that but the future's bleak, even AGD admits that
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 03:14:12 PM by Shady » Logged

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: March 20, 2013, 03:14:10 PM »

Mike is no saint in his reasons in touring the BBs non-stop since the beginning of time either. Man had to pay for divorces/alimony, liked the easy money, got all the sex he wanted, and fed his ego. The C50 tour was the first time it was about the "music" for Mike in a long time.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: March 20, 2013, 03:15:42 PM »

Brian's always been a Beach Boy at heart. If was the people around him who wanted a solo career.

Just look at the interview where he was obviously devastated that he wasn't included in the recording of Kokomo.

Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: March 20, 2013, 03:16:04 PM »

Oh wait, then if Mike had dropped out and any use of the Beach Boys name discontinued, it would ne alright?

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: March 20, 2013, 03:17:24 PM »

Oh wait, then if Mike had dropped out and any use of the Beach Boys name discontinued, it would ne alright?
Thats been one of my main points for a while. Either they all use it or none at all use it.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: March 20, 2013, 03:17:31 PM »

I'd love that but the future's bleak, even AGD admits that

I just mean a new thread that focuses on the future of the group (future recording, one-off benefit concert, tour,) instead of rehashing the past (dissolution of C50). Or not...

EDIT: Or....Brian and Al calling for a new vote. How about that Mr. Fung? Grin
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 03:25:43 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: March 20, 2013, 03:19:10 PM »

I think Mike and Bruce are simply having a whole lot more fun doing their own thing.  It is what it is, whether some of us like it or not.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: March 20, 2013, 03:19:59 PM »

Nobody would have any reason to complain, bring the name back when the time is right.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 03:20:53 PM by Shady » Logged

Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: March 20, 2013, 03:21:57 PM »

Thats been one of my main points for a while. Either they all use it or none at all use it.
Yeah, your points have become clear thousand times a day. I get it, you're not sorry that there won't be more reunion gigs, what pisses you off is that the bad guy got his way in the end. Mike's touring using the Beach Boys name, like he's been doing for 15 years.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: March 20, 2013, 03:23:28 PM »

I think Mike and Bruce are simply having a whole lot more fun doing their own thing.  It is what it is, whether some of us like it or not.
"We're going to have fun,fun, fun until Brian takes the license away"

Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: March 20, 2013, 03:23:39 PM »

Nobody would have any reason to complain, bring the name back when the time is right.
Brian, Al and Carl's state would complain.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx