gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:13:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rank The Tracks #27: Summer In Paradise  (Read 45298 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2013, 09:45:06 AM »

Don't forget the video with the babies to top it all off.... Grin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQaf6Dhh8Zk

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2013, 09:52:30 AM »

Just (barely) got through the video, and so many problems:

1. the vocal blend was rank at that point.
2. Stamo's "Dennis-lite" voice is horrible
3. Outdated 1980s power-ballad sound
4. Video is plain bizzare
5. The BBs slapped their name on this crap

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2013, 09:53:05 AM »

My name is not Dude. When I sing along with either version, I sing it the same way. When I hear or sing the background  vocals I sing the same My My My's etc. Like I said, you can dislike it for lots of reasons, but those reasons are not "Disrespecting" reasons. The whole album was made that way, not just Forever. How come I don't hear the same fervent clamor about Surfin'. It has all the same production values, etc. as Forever, but I don't hear same "Disrespecting" rhetoric. As far as I can tell from what I read here, is that it has more to do with Stamos envy, than anything else. Forever was not placed on SIP to disrespect the song or Dennis, for that matter.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2013, 10:05:04 AM »

Well, don't presume to tell me the reasons I hate this album are somehow wrong. I never said it's disrespectful, but I think it sounds absolutely terrifying and crap.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2013, 10:09:39 AM »

It wasn't meant to disrespect in the warped BBs world of 1992, but it is disrespectful in the eyes of the public due to its really poor execution.

Nicko1234
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2013, 10:10:49 AM »

The idea that this version of Forever is 'taking a dump on Dennis's legacy' is laughable. I've known plenty of people who have told me that Forever is one of their favourite BB songs after first hearing this version. It was Stamos that turned them onto the group and onto Dennis. Carl was right behind this cover and there is no doubt that the whole thing was done with utmost respect.
Nicko1234
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2013, 10:12:01 AM »

It wasn't meant to disrespect in the warped BBs world of 1992, but it is disrespectful in the eyes of the public due to its really poor execution.

Really? Would that be the same section of the public who like Stamos and who have even gone to watch M&B shows because they know he will be there?
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2013, 10:37:16 AM »

Nicko1234 and drbeachboy are right. I can never understand the hate for Stamos when it comes to "Forever" and Dennis.

If you wanna hate Stamos for his participation with the Beach Boys - his stage antics, subpar musicianship, posturing, the Kokomo video, inviting them to his wedding, etc, -  OK, I get. I don't share the hate, but I get it.

But "Forever" and Dennis is an entirely different issue. Stamos could've latched onto Mike Love like Bruce did and preached the gospel about the great lyrics that Mike contributed to rock & roll history - but he didn't. Stamos could've bowed at the feet of "the great" Brian Wilson like everybody else did - but he didn't. And, Stamos could've easily sang the praises of the recognizable surf & turf classics, or, been the hip disciple of Pet Sounds and SMiLE. But he didn't.

Stamos chose Dennis Wilson. And, Stamos chose "Forever". A song from Sunflower. Keep in mind that around that time, most people knew the Beach Boys through the early hits and "Kokomo". Most fans (many who were younger) couldn't pick Dennis Wilson out of a lineup. Is it safe to say none of them owned Sunflower? This was before the boxed set. Do you think they ever heard "Forever"? I doubt it.

John Stamos invited the Beach Boys onto his TV shows. He might've even had to persuade some executives to do so. They wrote some scripts AROUND the group. The TV shows featured songs like "California Dreamin", "Kokomo", and"Forever". I'll bet the Beach Boys' record sales spiked at least a little bit after the shows aired. People got to know the song "Forever". People got to know about a Dennis Wilson song. Not just a Beach Boys' song but A Dennis Wilson song. Maybe that led to being a Dennis Wilson fan. Maybe that led to being a Pacific Ocean Blue fan. That would not have happened without John Stamos.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2013, 10:57:06 AM »

1) Lahaina Aloha

2) Still Surfin' (Solely for the Spector-like intro and reprises. The rest is weak. I'd probably trim it down in length and put a de-nasal filter on Mike)

idk about the rest. I'm not too familiar with the record so I may give it another spin sometime today and work out the rest. Also, I've got to admit with Runners that "Summer of Love" is so bad that it's hilarious/ever so slightly redeemable.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2013, 11:09:12 AM »

Nicko1234 and drbeachboy are right. I can never understand the hate for Stamos when it comes to "Forever" and Dennis.

If you wanna hate Stamos for his participation with the Beach Boys - his stage antics, subpar musicianship, posturing, the Kokomo video, inviting them to his wedding, etc, -  OK, I get. I don't share the hate, but I get it.

But "Forever" and Dennis is an entirely different issue. Stamos could've latched onto Mike Love like Bruce did and preached the gospel about the great lyrics that Mike contributed to rock & roll history - but he didn't. Stamos could've bowed at the feet of "the great" Brian Wilson like everybody else did - but he didn't. And, Stamos could've easily sang the praises of the recognizable surf & turf classics, or, been the hip disciple of Pet Sounds and SMiLE. But he didn't.

Stamos chose Dennis Wilson. And, Stamos chose "Forever". A song from Sunflower. Keep in mind that around that time, most people knew the Beach Boys through the early hits and "Kokomo". Most fans (many who were younger) couldn't pick Dennis Wilson out of a lineup. Is it safe to say none of them owned Sunflower? This was before the boxed set. Do you think they ever heard "Forever"? I doubt it.

John Stamos invited the Beach Boys onto his TV shows. He might've even had to persuade some executives to do so. They wrote some scripts AROUND the group. The TV shows featured songs like "California Dreamin", "Kokomo", and"Forever". I'll bet the Beach Boys' record sales spiked at least a little bit after the shows aired. People got to know the song "Forever". People got to know about a Dennis Wilson song. Not just a Beach Boys' song but A Dennis Wilson song. Maybe that led to being a Dennis Wilson fan. Maybe that led to being a Pacific Ocean Blue fan. That would not have happened without John Stamos.

I wouldn't call it disrespectful, Stamos was a big Dennis fan and I'm sure had nothing but the best of intentions in covering "Forever". Still it's impossible to rate the end result as anything other than a steaming turd. It's like the bastard offspring of Guns n Roses "November Rain" meets Michael Bolton.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2013, 11:16:15 AM »

Well, don't presume to tell me the reasons I hate this album are somehow wrong. I never said it's disrespectful, but I think it sounds absolutely terrifying and crap.
First off, don't get pissy with me. I didn't post to get in a fight. I was responding to Smile Brian's use of "disrepecting", and you jumped into the conversation, which is fine, but what I posted was not directed toward you. As I said, I understand if you hate it for any number of reasons, but saying that adding it to SIP was disrespectful, when it is very doubtful that that was the intent, seemed a bit over the top.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2013, 11:18:49 AM »

First off, don't get pissy with me. I didn't post to get in a fight. I was responding to Smile Brian's use of "disrepecting", and you jumped into the conversation, which is fine, but what I posted was not directed toward you. As I said, I understand if you hate it for any number of reasons, but saying that adding it to SIP was disrespectful, when it is very doubtful that that was the intent, seemed a bit over the top.

Sorry mate, you seemed to be talking to me! You responded directly with that 'my name is not dude' stuff - what was I supposed to think?

Mike's Beard on thee money. Good intentions are nice, but the result is absolutely awful.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2013, 11:28:38 AM »

Sorry mate, you seemed to be talking to me! You responded directly with that 'my name is not dude' stuff - what was I supposed to think?

Mike's Beard on thee money. Good intentions are nice, but the result is absolutely awful.
I'm good, if you're good. Plus, how can I stay mad with the person who penned "The Brianista's Prayer".   Cool Guy

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2013, 11:31:59 AM »

+1 - I don't get the hate, either.  Some YouTube version of Forever has over a million hits. Stamos did promote Dennis' work, and likely worked with the networks to have the cameos happen for the band.  Cameos which get slammed again and again, but kept the band name out there.  And, created goodwill that benefited all the band.  It gave another generation (now, more than one) an intro to BB music.  

Thanks for adding balance to the discussion.  
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2013, 11:36:01 AM »

Ok..To me SIP is like 15 Big ones in the sense that it has a lot of cover tunes (Which I tend not to like), a couple good songs and the rest filler...

1.Lahaina Aloha (This is easily the best song on here, I call this the "Somewhere near japan" of SIP, a song that sticks out like a sore thumb,it also would not have been out of place if Brian and Van Dyke placed in on OCA because it has that similar sound to my ears)
2.Strange things happen (ok I admit the lyrics are goofy but the melody is one of the better ones from the cd and one of the few songs from it that stays in my head after listening to it and yes Als vocals rule on it)
3.Island Fever (Ok this song is not great but not bad, just average but I like the bass line and the chord changes and the vocals/harmonies)
4.Forever (Average, but I can see why they did it. it was what it was and nothing more, it was simply meant to bring the younger kids to their music, of course it didn't help the sells of the cd any. and let's face it it's a great Dennis Wilson song so I put it this high on the list mostly because of that fact)
the rest is the same with "Surfin" dead last, the first thing I thought when hearing "Surfin" and seeing that Brian wasn't anywhere on the cd was that they wanted their mandatory "Brian Wilson" song on it so since they didn't have one (a new one) they decided to take an old one and redo it that way Brian Wilsons name was somewhere on the cd, of course there were better BW songs they could have remade. Plus, why Rap? Rap sucks..lol...of course, like John Stamos, they recorded it to
reach the younger kids..
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 11:38:00 AM by joshferrell » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2013, 11:41:56 AM »

Ok..To me SIP is like 15 Big ones in the sense that it has a lot of cover tunes (Which I tend not to like), a couple good songs and the rest filler...

1.Lahaina Aloha (This is easily the best song on here, I call this the "Somewhere near japan" of SIP, a song that sticks out like a sore thumb,it also would not have been out of place if Brian and Van Dyke placed in on OCA because it has that similar sound to my ears)
2.Strange things happen (ok I admit the lyrics are goofy but the melody is one of the better ones from the cd and one of the few songs from it that stays in my head after listening to it and yes Als vocals rule on it)
3.Island Fever (Ok this song is not great but not bad, just average but I like the bass line and the chord changes and the vocals/harmonies)
4.Forever (Average, but I can see why they did it. it was what it was and nothing more, it was simply meant to bring the younger kids to their music, of course it didn't help the sells of the cd any. and let's face it it's a great Dennis Wilson song so I put it this high on the list mostly because of that fact)
the rest is the same with "Surfin" dead last, the first thing I thought when hearing "Surfin" and seeing that Brian wasn't anywhere on the cd was that they wanted their mandatory "Brian Wilson" song on it so since they didn't have one (a new one) they decided to take an old one and redo it that way Brian Wilsons name was somewhere on the cd, of course there were better BW songs they could have remade. Plus, why Rap? Rap sucks..lol...of course, like John Stamos, they recorded it to
reach the younger kids..
If my recall is fairly accurate, I saw the band within days after the release of SIP. While I wasn't real thrilled with the Surfin' redo, it did sound pretty cool when done at the show with that arrangement.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2013, 12:39:25 PM »

I wouldn't call it disrespectful, Stamos was a big Dennis fan and I'm sure had nothing but the best of intentions in covering "Forever". Still it's impossible to rate the end result as anything other than a steaming turd. It's like the bastard offspring of Guns n Roses "November Rain" meets Michael Bolton.

I'm not saying this to be contrarian or argumentative, but I actually like the SIP version of "Forever". I mean, it's not great, and I don't seek it out, but I get some enjoyment out of it. Admittedly, Carl saves the track. His part, though short, is among his finest and most emotional work. I never understood how people could say that Stamos is imitating Dennis; that's just how Stamos sings. And, I accept the arrangement. It kind of reminds me of that Chicago power ballad era (with Jason Scheff and Bill Champlin). They (The Beach Boys) could've played it safe and really channeled Dennis but they didn't. I think Dennis would've accepted it and been honored by the tribute. Look, you know I always repeat myself  Grin but how many people were covering friggin Dennis Wilson songs anyway!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2013, 03:27:20 PM »

To me this is very close to KTSA, both in terms of ambition and overall quality. Weak and cheesy but for some reason it still has its moments.

Great:
Lahaina Aloha

Enjoyable:
Strange Things Happen
Still Surfin'
Slow Summer Dancin'
Island Fever
Forever
Summer in Paradise

Forgettable:
Hot Fun in the Summertime
Remember (Walkin' in the Sand)
Under the Boardwalk

Utter junk:
Surfin'
Summer of Love
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2013, 07:09:20 AM »

I don't own this album, and I never want to. I have heard it a few times, enough to generate a clear opinion of it. Here it is:

THIS ALBUM SUCKS SOOOO BAD THAT IT WOULD BE AN INSULT TO THIS FINE DISCUSSION FORUM TO EVEN WASTE SPACE RANKING THE #%$!&@ TRACKS. ALL OF THEM ARE SO BAD I CAN FEEL MY STOMACH GETTING QUEASY JUST THINKING ABOUT 'EM.

Thank you and have a nice, Summer in Paradise-free day.

(I'm off to vomit and then listen to MIU, which is dogcrap, but hell, it's practically Sunflower compared to this stinkbomb.....)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 07:10:47 AM by Summer_Days » Logged

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2013, 02:30:56 PM »

I hope people don't peg me as being deliberately contrarian but I enjoy this album (most of it). Yeah it's far from artistic and sounds sterile as all hell in places but there's some good songs in there.

"Lahaina Aloha", "Strange Things Happen" and "Still Surfin" are my favourites. They conjure up nice images on top of being catchy.

"Island Fever"'s a pretty good song, ditto the title track. "Slow Summer Dancin'" (typical BJ) and "Under the Boardwalk" are nice part cover, part original songs (the latter channelling a Kokomo vibe like "Island Fever"). The other two covers are OK; "Remember..." is a little bit hilarious and "Hot Fun in the Summertime" is an odd choice for an album opener, let alone cover. I see why they included "Forever" ... I just wish they hadn't. It's not bad it's just ... I dunno, I'm conflicted. On paper I should hate the very idea of it but ... I just don't know. It's not the first BB's album to have a perverse closing track.

The "Surfin'" remake was totally misguided. Underneath the heinous new treatment it's still the fun, little "Surfin'", which is about the only redeeming quality to me. "Summer of Love" exists and we have to live with that.
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2013, 06:17:46 AM »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-BEACH-BOYS-SUMMER-IN-PARADISE-WORLD-TOUR-WHITE-T-SHIRT-XL-X-LARGE-NEW-/370799745691?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5655631a9b

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2013, 03:59:56 PM »

I can hear mike now calling Snoop: Snoop John B

Wink

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 21, 2013, 07:10:00 PM »

LOL

Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2013, 06:00:08 PM »

Summer in Love and Surfin' are my favorites for the lols. It's fun to fist pump to the second "GOT UP THIS MORNING TURNED ON MY RADIIIIIO" its fun
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2013, 12:27:24 PM »

I have agree with your assessment of the album as a whole. It really is not as bad as most make it out to be. As I either said here on another thread, the songs that were done live for the 92 Tour sounded great. It is definitely an album of it's times.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,