gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:31:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rank The Tracks #27: Summer In Paradise  (Read 45303 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2013, 04:33:02 PM »

Most of the tracks are just rank. Grin
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2013, 04:39:03 PM »

Most of the tracks are just rank. Grin

Excellent point.  It would be redundant to rank what is itself already rank.
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2013, 05:04:09 PM »

1. Lahaina Aloha
2. Forever
3. Summer in Paradise
4. Strange Things Happen 
5. Slow Summer Dancin' (One Summer Night)
6. Hot Fun in the Summertime
7. Still Surfin'
8. Island Fever
9.  Under the Boardwalk
10. Remember Walking in the Sand
11. Surfin'
12. Summer of Love

Lahaina Aloha is the only song I would go out of my way to revisit, but most of it is more uninspired and poorly produced than it is downright awful.  The singing from Carl in particular is a bright spot.   I'd still probably take this over much of the top 40 today, but that has more to do with my real distaste of that stuff.  I think the bottom two of my list can be both categorized as an irredeemable atrocity of a song, however.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 10:58:15 PM by TimeToGetAlone » Logged
MBE
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2013, 05:24:33 PM »

Better on the rare vinyl mix wise but still cold, dull, and rank. This was hard because crap is crap but I think I ranked them OK.
1 Hot Fun
2 Summer In Paradise
3 Strange Things Happen
4 Lahaina Aloha
5 Island Fever
6 Slow Summer
7 Forever
8 Summer of Love
9 Still Surfin'
10 Under The Boardwalk
11 Remember
12 Surfin
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2013, 09:03:23 PM »

1) Strange Things Happen, because it's kind of tolerable (and may have been okay with better production) and because hearing Al Jardine confess to being a 50 year old virgin going through his first sexual experiences is pretty intense and soul-baring. Good for you, Al.
2) The song where Mike goes "ME-MUH-ME-MUH-ME-MUH-ME-MUH-ME-MUH-ME-MUH-ME-MUH-ME-MUH-ME-MUH-ME-MUH-ME-MUH-ME-MUH-ME-MUH", although to be fair, I'm not rating the rest of the song when I say that, just that part. I don't even know what song it is, I just think that part is hilarious/terrible.
3) Summer Of Love, because of how hilariously awful it is. A bit of entertainment value puts it above the rest. Anyone placing it near the bottom is a God damn liar.
4) everything else on the album in no order
5) the Surfin' re-recording, because it is the worst thing ever
6) Forever, because while I'd normally rank a dismal re-recording above the worst thing ever, it goes the extra mile by shitting all over a beautiful Dennis Wilson song with a Full House cast member singing it, thereby becoming the true worst thing ever.

oh god Billy don't do it

This may be the best post ever.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Nicko1234
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2013, 01:27:34 AM »

1, Lahaina Aloha - A shame about the drum-heavy production as otherwise this is a strong song.

2, Summer in Paradise - Some weak lyrics but a fairly enjoyable song.
3, Strange Things Happen - Ditto and the U.K. version is preferable due to being shorter.
4, Under the Boardwalk - An inoffensive cover.

5, Island Fever - The U.K. version is preferable imo as the lyrics aren't quite so bad.
6, Slow Summer Dancing - More terrible drums. What was Terry Melcher thinking?
7, Forever - I know a lot of people who became fans of the group due to this one so not all bad.
8, Still Surfin' - Horrible drums again.
9, Hot Fun in the Summertime - An empty cover.

10, Surfin' - Remaking the song wasn't a bad idea but not like this...
11, Remember Walkin in the Sand - Pointless.

12, Summer of Love - Abysmal.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2013, 08:25:33 AM »

It's worth noting that as bad as this album is, its quite possible that even if Brian had participated and offered up a few of his songs, the album still woulda be utter sh*t, since the Brian material likely woulda been crap from Sweet Insanity. Although Summer In Paradise definitely coulda used something like "Love Ya" or "Water Builds Up", two of the few good songs on what would have been Sweet Insanity.

They wanted to remake Surfin? In what style from 2000? EMO?  Wink

Good to see Island Fever high up there, not too many favor that one, but I do.

Bruce said around 2002 that they had asked the people who made the Macarena to do a remix of the SIP version of Surfin' "In a Britney Spears style", for possible use as a fortieth-anniversary release. I presume that's what Eric was referring to.

Maybe that'll see the light on Made In California Wink

He really said that? Sometimes I think that Mike and Bruce are out of touch, but stuff like this, it's just......wow. This man has sung on "God Only Knows" and "Surf's Up", yet he wants a Beach Boys song "in a Britney Spears style". Then we had Mike, when early in preparations for the 50th anniversary celebration mentioned that he'd apparently like to do another Stars & Stripes type deal and have Kenny Chesney and Snoop Dogg do versions of Beach Boys songs. These guys just don't get it. And they apparently don't think that their work alone is worth anything. That they need today's stars to help drag them along.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 08:33:11 AM by sweetdudejim » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2013, 08:35:52 AM »

Mike and Bruce are insane....

These two know nothing about the BBs legacy.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2013, 09:20:22 AM »

It's worth noting that as bad as this album is, its quite possible that even if Brian had participated and offered up a few of his songs, the album still woulda be utter sh*t, since the Brian material likely woulda been crap from Sweet Insanity. Although Summer In Paradise definitely coulda used something like "Love Ya" or "Water Builds Up", two of the few good songs on what would have been Sweet Insanity.

I have to admit that I like most of Sweet Insanity and have never understood why it has such a bad reputation.  Sure, "Smart Girls" is embarrassing, "Thank You" is awful and "I Do" is mediocre, but I like all of the other songs on the album.  Many of them are deliriously giddy, which I consider a good thing.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2013, 09:52:27 AM »

They wanted to remake Surfin? In what style from 2000? EMO?  Wink

Bruce said around 2002 that they had asked the people who made the Macarena to do a remix of the SIP version of Surfin' "In a Britney Spears style", for possible use as a fortieth-anniversary release. I presume that's what Eric was referring to.

He really said that? Sometimes I think that Mike and Bruce are out of touch, but stuff like this, it's just......wow. This man has sung on "God Only Knows" and "Surf's Up", yet he wants a Beach Boys song "in a Britney Spears style". Then we had Mike, when early in preparations for the 50th anniversary celebration mentioned that he'd apparently like to do another Stars & Stripes type deal and have Kenny Chesney and Snoop Dogg do versions of Beach Boys songs. These guys just don't get it. And they apparently don't think that their work alone is worth anything. That they need today's stars to help drag them along.
I would've killed to hear Snoop do a BB song...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2013, 10:21:13 AM »

Transcendental (yo) meditation
Can (yo) emancipate the man(yo)
A get you feeling grand (Yo)
Snoop: The bitches are good, theys good theys good fo' shizel

Fusion of (yo)
The never changing wind (yo)
The ever changing wind (yo)
The never changing world (Yo)
snoop: Pass this refer It's good, it's good, it's good, it's good, it's good

Transcendental meditation (yo)

Snoop: The bitches like...
Transcendental meditation

Can emancipate the ho
And get you feeling high
It's good (word)

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2013, 10:23:39 AM »

I have to admit that I like most of Sweet Insanity and have never understood why it has such a bad reputation.  Sure, "Smart Girls" is embarrassing, "Thank You" is awful and "I Do" is mediocre, but I like all of the other songs on the album.  Many of them are deliriously giddy, which I consider a good thing.

I'm with you, smilethebeachboysloveyou. If you take the best tracks from Summer in Paradise:

- Hot Fun In The Summertime
- Strange Things Happen
- Lahaina Aloha
- Slow Summer Dancin' (One Summer Night)
- Summer In Paradise
- Still Surfin'
- Island Fever
- Under The Boardwalk

And add these five tracks from Sweet Insanity:

- Someone To Love
- Don't Let Her Know She's An Angel
- The Spirit Of Rock And Roll
- Love Ya/Sweetie
- Water Builds Up

You have a drastically and far superior album. Keep in mind you would be ELIMINATING:

- Summer Of Love
- Remember Walkin' In The Sand
- Surfin'
- Forever

Try that NEW lineup; that's a respectable, fun, 13 song, summer-y album.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2013, 10:41:48 AM »

Please keep Mr. Snoop Lion far, far away from The Beach Boys. And this coming from a guy who owns and cherishes the Doggystyle album.
gfac22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2013, 11:30:32 AM »

I think SIP's reputation is a bit overblown, it's not THAT bad.  I've liked it ever since I got it for a (surprisingly) reasonable price on ebay a number of years ago.  In fact, I think a handful of the songs are BB classics.  Yeah, I said it.  Anyway:

1.  Lahaina Aloha - great vocals from both Mike and Carl.  Just a great song.
2.  Strange Things Happen - great (but short) Al vocal, too bad he isn't featured more on the album.
3.  Summer In Paradise - odd lyrics aside, great song.  I really love the chorus.
4.  Still Surfin'
5.  Under The Boardwalk - I actually think this works really nicely, drum machine and all.
6.  Island Fever - OK, not great.  I prefer the US version over the UK one.
7.  Slow Summer Dancin' - Another great Al vocal, but one of Bruce's duller songs.  (And this is Bruce we're talking about here...)  Nice, but forgettable.
8.  Hot Fun In The Summertime
9.  Remember (Walking In The Sand)
10.  Summer of Love - this is so dorky, I can't help but like it.  Definite guilty pleasure.
11.  Forever - yeah, it's stupid and pointless, but I have fond memories of this from Full House (which I loved as a kid, and I still love today, damn it.)  That said, I really like Carl's harmony part during the last verse.
12.  Surfin'

So yeah.  I'll always stick up for Summer In Paradise, even if I'm one of the few out there.  If people could get past the early 90s production and keep an open mind, I think they'd find a lot to like.
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2013, 04:01:40 PM »

I've had many a fart that sound better than this record.
MANY.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2013, 06:22:41 PM »

MANY.
I thought you'd say "and stinks less". Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2013, 06:35:45 PM »

MANY.
I thought you'd say "and stinks less". Wink

LOL
Perfect.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2013, 07:17:47 PM »

I'm with you, smilethebeachboysloveyou. If you take the best tracks from Summer in Paradise:

- Hot Fun In The Summertime
- Strange Things Happen
- Lahaina Aloha
- Slow Summer Dancin' (One Summer Night)
- Summer In Paradise
- Still Surfin'
- Island Fever
- Under The Boardwalk

And add these five tracks from Sweet Insanity:

- Someone To Love
- Don't Let Her Know She's An Angel
- The Spirit Of Rock And Roll
- Love Ya/Sweetie
- Water Builds Up

You have a drastically and far superior album. Keep in mind you would be ELIMINATING:

- Summer Of Love
- Remember Walkin' In The Sand
- Surfin'
- Forever

Try that NEW lineup; that's a respectable, fun, 13 song, summer-y album.

I would prefer an 8-song, 29-minute Sweet Insanity with Someone to Love, Water Builds Up, Don't Let Her Know, Hotter, The Spirit of Rock and Roll, Rainbow Eyes, Love Ya, and Make a Wish.
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2013, 05:14:26 AM »

I don't have this album, but I do like the live version of Summer In Paradise. I really hate the lyrics, though.
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2013, 05:46:43 AM »

D
Lahaina Aloha
Summer of Love
Hot Fun in the Summertime

F
Strange Things Happen
Island Fever
Under the Boardwalk
Still Surfin'
Remember (Walking in the Sand)
Summer in Paradise

Not even an F would do it justice:
Slow Summer Dancin' (One Summer Night)

Lowest ever ring of the Inferno:
Surfin'

Even worse:
Forever

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2013, 06:55:44 AM »

D
Lahaina Aloha
Summer of Love

F
Strange Things Happen
Island Fever
Under the Boardwalk
Still Surfin'
Summer in Paradise

Surfin'

Even worse:
Forever

I only ever heard Forever and Summer of Love.

Forever must be the worst music ever made. Period. What to take a huge dump on somebody else' legacy.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2013, 07:38:58 AM »

D
Lahaina Aloha
Summer of Love

F
Strange Things Happen
Island Fever
Under the Boardwalk
Still Surfin'
Summer in Paradise

Surfin'

Even worse:
Forever

I only ever heard Forever and Summer of Love.

Forever must be the worst music ever made. Period. What to take a huge dump on somebody else' legacy.
I'll bite, why? Basic arrangement- same. Background vocals- same. Background singers- same. Lyrics-- same. Oh, you mean because someone other than Dennis had the nerve to pay homage to him and his song? Is this like The Beach Boys taking a dump on Dick Dale, Frankie Lyman & The Teenagers and The Regents, because they decided to cover their biggest songs?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2013, 07:42:48 AM »

Its because the song is looked at as Mike trying to make Stamos the "new" Dennis and disrespecting the song of a greatly missed member of the group.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2013, 08:29:07 AM »

Its because the song is looked at as Mike trying to make Stamos the "new" Dennis and disrespecting the song of a greatly missed member of the group.
He did the song for a TV show, then it was decided to include it on the new album. Kind of like adding Wipeout to Still Cruisin'. Also, it is one thing to not like the cover, but how is it "disrespecting" Dennis or the song? Do you really think the full band would have participated if this was the object of covering it? Does the green room video that we all have been watching show Carl, Al, Bruce and Stamos disrespecting the song while rehearsing?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2013, 09:27:34 AM »

Dude, the arrangement and backing vocals are not the same as the original one. If you think that, you're deaf. They sound bloody terrible, to boot. Like the rest of this godforsaken record. This is like saying you prefer the re-recorded versions of 60's hits on cheap compilation CDs to the originals because they're recorded with modern technology or something.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 09:29:03 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx