gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:06:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rank The Tracks #27: Summer In Paradise  (Read 45301 times)
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« on: March 14, 2013, 11:45:57 AM »

It seems like no one wants to start this one, so I'll get it started!  Overall, a good attempt by the Boys to continue in the Kokomo-style vein, although probably 3 years too late.

1.  Hot Fun In The Summertime - Always in my top 3 faves of this album, it has stood the test of time more than the others.  Of course, it pales in comparison to the original, but still fun in its own way.
2.  Under The Boardwalk - Nice mellow feel to it...it really does remind me of summer days in Oceanside.
3.  Island Fever - I always thought this would have made a good single if promoted right.  If it had been featured on Baywatch in 1992, instead of Summer Of Love in 1995, it would have had a chance.
4.  Strange Things Happen - This would have had some radio appeal too.  The edited UK version could have been a radio hit.
5.  Summer In Paradise - Yeah the lyrics are a bit corny, but I've always liked this song.  Great live too.
6.  Still Surfin - A former favorite, this one hasn't really stood the test of time as much as the others.
7.  Lahaina Aloha - Great vocals from Carl on this one.
8.  Slow Summer Dancin (One Summer Night) - Nice to have a Bruce lead in the 90's, but he is definitely outshone by Al on his part.
9.  Summer Of Love - So hilariously bad, it actually is more enjoyable than other tracks on the album.  Should not have been on Baywatch though.
10.  Forever - Doesn't hold a candle to Dennis' lead, but the beauty of the song is still there.  Great vocals by Carl toward the end.
11.  Surfin - Kind of lame, I was one of the fans who was shocked that Mike & Bruce & Adrian wanted to remake it again in the early 2000s.
12.  Remember Walkin In The Sand - A pointless vocal exercise for Carl; you can hear the frustration in his voice.  The clobbering bass vocals are truly weird.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 11:47:00 AM by Eric Aniversario » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 11:57:40 AM »

It seems like no one wants to start this one, so I'll get it started!  Overall, a good attempt by the Boys to continue in the Kokomo-style vein, although probably 3 years too late.

1.  Hot Fun In The Summertime - Always in my top 3 faves of this album, it has stood the test of time more than the others.  Of course, it pales in comparison to the original, but still fun in its own way.
2.  Under The Boardwalk - Nice mellow feel to it...it really does remind me of summer days in Oceanside.
3.  Island Fever - I always thought this would have made a good single if promoted right.  If it had been featured on Baywatch in 1992, instead of Summer Of Love in 1995, it would have had a chance.
4.  Strange Things Happen - This would have had some radio appeal too.  The edited UK version could have been a radio hit.
5.  Summer In Paradise - Yeah the lyrics are a bit corny, but I've always liked this song.  Great live too.
6.  Still Surfin - A former favorite, this one hasn't really stood the test of time as much as the others.
7.  Lahaina Aloha - Great vocals from Carl on this one.
8.  Slow Summer Dancin (One Summer Night) - Nice to have a Bruce lead in the 90's, but he is definitely outshone by Al on his part.
9.  Summer Of Love - So hilariously bad, it actually is more enjoyable than other tracks on the album.  Should not have been on Baywatch though.
10.  Forever - Doesn't hold a candle to Dennis' lead, but the beauty of the song is still there.  Great vocals by Carl toward the end.
11.  Surfin - Kind of lame, I was one of the fans who was shocked that Mike & Bruce & Adrian wanted to remake it again in the early 2000s.
12.  Remember Walkin In The Sand - A pointless vocal exercise for Carl; you can hear the frustration in his voice.  The clobbering bass vocals are truly weird.
They wanted to remake Surfin? In what style from 2000? EMO?  Wink

Good to see Island Fever high up there, not too many favor that one, but I do.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 11:58:57 AM »

Used to be my favorite!  Still up there though
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 11:59:11 AM »

Admission time...I've never listened to the album all the way through. I'm going to in a little while, and then do it.

Sigh.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 12:06:08 PM »

Admission time...I've never listened to the album all the way through. I'm going to in a little while, and then do it.

Sigh.
You may be pleasantly surprised.  Listen with a Cool Head and a Warm Heart and you should be ok.  Air Quotes
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 12:07:25 PM »

Bruce said around 2002 that they had asked the people who made the Macarena to do a remix of the SIP version of Surfin' "In a Britney Spears style", for possible use as a fortieth-anniversary release. I presume that's what Eric was referring to.

Maybe that'll see the light on Made In California Wink

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 12:08:45 PM »

Sigh.

Don't. Do something more productive and fun, like reading through every post newguy ever made here, or smashing your own fingers with a mallet.

The only positive thing I could ever say about that album is that it's not Looking Back With Love or Going Public.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 12:09:26 PM »

Bruce said around 2002 that they had asked the people who made the Macarena to do a remix of the SIP version of Surfin' "In a Britney Spears style", for possible use as a fortieth-anniversary release. I presume that's what Eric was referring to.

gag?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Paulos
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 12:09:31 PM »

I kind of like the title track apart from the lyrics. The rest is the audio equivalent of rape.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 12:09:34 PM »

Yeah that's what I was referring to...let's hope it doesn't make it onto MIC though!  LOL
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 12:16:44 PM »

Sigh.

Don't. Do something more productive and fun, like reading through every post newguy ever made here, or smashing your own fingers with a mallet.

The only positive thing I could ever say about that album is that it's not Looking Back With Love or Going Public.

I actually really LIKE LBWL *runs away*

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 12:19:18 PM »

Don't blame Mike for this one. He (and Terry Melcher) contributed a handful of good songs. Brian was a no-show. He was saving his songs for.....What was he saving his songs for?

1. Lahaina Aloha (easily the best song on the album and maybe - maybe - a BB classic)

2. Hot Fun In The Summertime
3. Summer In Paradise (this is a very good song and Mike sings it very well)

4. Strange Things Happen (I like the experimenting they did with this type of song)
5. Slow Summer Dancin' (One Summer Night)
6. Still Surfin'

7. Island Fever 
8. Forever (I like this version; reminds me of Chicago; Carl is magnificent)
9. Under The Boardwalk (one verse too long)

10. Remember Walkin' In The sand

11. Surfin'
12. Summer Of Love (the worst released song in the history of The Beach Boys)
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 12:29:38 PM »

Sigh.

I wouldn't say I really like it, but most of the songs are listenable but inessential.  Apart from the title track.  That cannot, however, be said of Summer in Paradise.

1.) Lahaina Aloha--It says something about the quality of the album that the best song can only reach the average quality of a Still Cruisin' original track.
2.) Strange Things Happen--Terrible lyrics, and the melody isn't too great either, but Al's vocal is actually pretty good here.

I'm not sure how to rank the middling tracks, and many of the songs are pretty indistinguishable anyway.

10.) Surfin'--If this was their attempt to modernize "Surfin'," they clearly didn't have much respect for contemporary music circa 1992.
11.) Summer of Love--At least "Smart Girls" was kind of funny.
12.) Forever--Isn't grave defilement illegal?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 12:38:58 PM »

I see this "essential", "non-essential". This is fine when putting out a greatest hits package for the masses. But, what does it have to do with being listenable or not? If I like something, that means "listenable", not listenable; I don't like it. I like most of SIP. It sounds 90's to me; it's listenable!

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 12:39:03 PM »

01.  Still Surfin' (like the melancholy feel)
02.  Strange Things Happen (like Carl and Al's voices)
03.  Summer in Paradise (like the version released in Europe)

The rest is tiresome at best and shitty at worst.  Glad Brian wasn't involved in this mess. Pity the others were.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2013, 12:57:08 PM »

The order for the two different Editions (I got both at bargain prices!) is different due to the Island Fever remix being far superior, but I'll do the UK version since I'm English.

1) Lahaina Aloha - Carl makes this otherwise cheesy song just beautiful
2) Strange Things Happen - The chorus is brilliant when Al comes in!
3) Remember - okay, controversial I know, but I do enjoy this song. Bar the echo on remember and the robotic remember.
4) Summer In Paradise - Fun, but my dad got angry when he heard Roger McGuinn on this.
5) Summer Of Love - I love it, No matter how god awful it is. My friend and I are the only people who know most of the moves from the video by heart xD
6) Still Surfin' - Lyrics are sooooo mike it's untrue. But i has something there.
7) Island Fever - Doctor Doctor is uber cringe, but the rest is just Kokomo Pt. 2 but almost better!
Cool Slow Summer Dancin' - Okay it's Historical. Okay, it's schmaltzy. But it's Bruce and Al. yay.
9) Under The Boardwalk - The bridge being regained here is crucial, but ti's still quite weak.
10) Forever - Hmmmm... then I remember Dennis. No. Too many babies!!!
11) Hot Fun In the Summertime - never could get this track
12) Surfin' - No. No. No. No. Maybe. It'll do. NOT TRACK 2 THOUGH.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2013, 01:00:05 PM »

oh god Billy don't do it

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2013, 01:10:10 PM »

Let's see:

1 Lahaina Aloha
 2 Strange Things Happen
 3 Hot Fun In The Summertime
 4 Slow Summer Dancin'
 5 Forever
 6 Still Surfin'
 7 Remember (Walkin' In The Sand)
 8 Summer In Paradise
 9 Surfin'
10 Under The Boardwalk
11 Island Fever
12 Summer Of Love

Just the vocal work from Carl & Al alone, saved this album. I find the album OK. Replace the last 4 tracks that I have listed and maybe it would be better than OK.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 01:11:30 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2013, 01:53:03 PM »

oh god Billy don't do it
Repost your review as a warning for all.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
oldsurferdude
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2013, 01:55:51 PM »

Vomit inducing, regurgitated material. A pathetic waste of cardboard and plastic as well. The absolute nadir of their career.  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2013, 02:10:58 PM »

Lahaina Aloha and Strange Things happen rank as two of my all time favorite BB tracks.

Island fever, SIP, and one summer night are all all pretty good too.

The remakes are absolutely god awful, and the rest is harmless background music....

its really not THAT bad.... it's no better or worse overall than MIU, for instance... and actually lahaina aloha and strange things happen blow away anything else on MIU....
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2013, 02:18:26 PM »

What bugs me about SIP is that with a halfway decent production, the removal of the shitty remakes and the odd lyrical rewrite it could have worked. Much of the original new material had potential.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2013, 02:25:34 PM »

1. Lahaina Aloha.  I really like this song. Carl's vocal is, as usual, stellar.
2. Strange Things Happen. Terrible lyrics, but Al and Carl carry it with pretty great vocals.
3. Summer In Paradise.  I really prefer this song with the additional verse  (McGuinn?) that Bruce sang live.

4. Hot Fun In The Summertime. 
5. One Summer Night. Al and Bruce both sound pretty good on this track.

6-8. Island Fever, Boardwalk, Forever and Still Surfin' are all interchangeable and completely forgettable.

The rest is so bad that I consider it completely unlistenable. The Surfin' remake is garbage and Summer Of Love is, to me, without question the worst thing ever written and recorded in the entire Beach Boys cannon, as a band or a solo artists.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2013, 03:02:00 PM »

Sigh.

oh really? *chases after with pitchfork*
Tord
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2013, 03:13:04 PM »

1  Island Fever
 2  Summer of Love
 3  Still Surfin'
 4  Lahaina Aloha
 5  Forever
 6  Summer in Paradise