gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:47:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Durrie Parks Smile acetates up for sale for $10,000  (Read 129738 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2013, 04:25:14 PM »

I recall lurking on a couple of Beach Boys' boards a few years ago and there were people arguing over whether Durrie "owed" the fans her acetates. Some even said they were trying to call her or e-mail to pester her to release them. It's pretty clear why those fans weren't successful, because she owed them nothing. Good for her for trying to get some cash out of her treasures.

I wonder if she might not have gotten more $$ by selling them prior to the Sessions release( again, moot point)   wonder why she decided to sell them now. Cash crunch?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2013, 04:26:26 PM »

Just seems weird to me. Don't doubt Andy is on the up and up on this, but it just seems weird that the Smile compilers supposedly didn't hear ALL of the acetates and an unknown amount of discs didn't surface until September. Didn't Durrie have all of the discs stored in one place or were they scattered all over the place and the Smile box compilers only heard a few of them (ones Durrie selected) and not all of them? Why not all of them? After all these years, you would have thought Durrie knew what she had and had helped Capitol and the compilers by letting them audition everything and even make some money from it in the mean time.

And these acetates weren't in a storage facility since 1967. I remember reading that they were stored Durrie's garage or other room for many years. Van Dyke himself said that Durrie had them in her possession - she took them after the divorce from Van.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2013, 04:51:38 PM »

All I'm saying is you wouldn't want to put one of these on a Technics turntable and have a listening party for friends if you owned them. I still cringe at that scene in some Beatles or Buddy Holly documentary when McCartney puts the original "That'll Be The Day" Quarrymen acetate on some cheap portable record player... Smiley

I doubt it was the original, he had at least 5 copies of the acetate made for personal use when he bought it off Duff Lowe (before he put the original in a sealed vault)...

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2013, 05:13:58 PM »

I've known the seller for more than 35 years and can vouch for him without hesitation. I wouldn't be surprised to discover that this acquisition and sale has been a long time in gestating, even though the first inkling of it (to our eyes, at least) occurred recently.

Given the seller's connection with the RRHOF, I'm kind of rooting for someone with deep pockets to be part of a deal that results in these acetates winding up there. The fact that they are up for public sale, however, doesn't make me feel all that confident that such a scenario will occur.

I do think it was an excellent (and ethically exemplary) decision to keep the collection intact. I wish that there would be some way to guarantee that it stays that way once they are purchased.
Blake Alan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2013, 06:16:21 PM »

Ok,
100 of us chip in with 100$ each, we buy the thing, share the digital copy, resell it, share the money.  Who is in?
I'm not even joking.

We can transfer the 100$ to AGD's bank account and he can then buy the acetates.
If we don't make it in time, we can anyway use the money to pay AGD for listening to SIP again.

I'd be up for this.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2013, 06:25:56 PM »

We've been talking about these acetates for as long as I've been here and up until now, it's never been entirely clear if they even existed. This is pretty exciting.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2013, 06:28:18 PM »

I am going to buy these and put them in my SMiLE shrine alongside the Inside Pop reels, a hubcap from Brian's Rolls Royce and an empty carton of chocolate ice cream Brian finished off circa September 1966.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2013, 06:44:33 PM »

Ok,
100 of us chip in with 100$ each, we buy the thing, share the digital copy, resell it, share the money.  Who is in?
I'm not even joking.

We can transfer the 100$ to AGD's bank account and he can then buy the acetates.
If we don't make it in time, we can anyway use the money to pay AGD for listening to SIP again.

I'd be up for this.

Me too! (really)

Some of our forum members suffer from an acute form of cynicism resulting in a complete lack of patience and manners in the face of anything joyful or optimistic. Try to humor them as best you can for the time being, and one day, with your help, we will find a cure for this devastating disease. This has been a public service announcement.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2013, 06:45:51 PM »

Ok,
I'm not even joking.

I'd be up for this.

Me too! (really)

I'd have to know that the contents aren't just going to be lackluster, at least ONE little tidbit would need to be new.

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2013, 07:00:32 PM »

Not to veer off topic (the acetates themselves), but did anyone else know that Van Dyke and Durrie apparently lived with Brian during the Smile era, as stated in the Letter of Authenticity?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2013, 07:47:01 PM »

Not to veer off topic (the acetates themselves), but did anyone else know that Van Dyke and Durrie apparently lived with Brian during the Smile era, as stated in the Letter of Authenticity?

I'd venture that's fairly common knowledge around these parts

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2013, 10:25:41 PM »

If folks on this board bought them, how would they be stored? Anyone got the facilities? Not me… best bet is that Capitol, or BW, or others from the industry buy and preserve them foreever… or some board member(s) buy(s) them and hands them over as an act of benevolence so they don't just end up in another garage (we don't have a garage, it'd have to be one of our mouse-infested sheds or the kids' toy box).

On the First Wave thing, bgas, once out of copyright anyone could release those tapes - doesn't have to be Brad. I'm betting someone, maybe Hoffman and/or the Morgan estate, has copies… wouldn't be surprised if someone on this board has heard them.

“We live in divisive times.”
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2013, 11:19:28 PM »

Is it possible Ms Parks is selling the acetates now because respective parties have done what needs to be done with them and now Durrie has no more use for them.

If that makes sense

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2013, 11:30:43 PM »

"A digital transfer of the music is included…"

Even more enticing!

As for the track listing, these have me going (if this is a prank, it's good!):

Disc 2)      2. Two versions of “Do You Like Worms (Bicycle Rider)” with alternate vocals to box set.
                3. First 45 seconds of “Heroes and Villains”. Vocal sounds  different than commercial release.

Disc 3)      1. Alternate version of “Cabin Essence Verse“ (different from box set.)
                3. Alternate version of final minute of Cabin Essence (different from box set.)

Disc 4)      1. Alternate version of “Do You Like Worms” that jumps back and forth from the “Roll Plymouth Rock” part and “Bicycle Rider” part.  (Different sequence/medly than on box set.)

Disc 5)      1. Alternate version of “Heroes And Villains Verse: Master Take” (different from box set)

Disc 7)      1.  Alternate version of  “Wind Chimes” (different from box set.)  (7")

Disc Cool      1.  Backing track “Time To Get Alone” (unreleased instrumental version (… this version has no vocals and an extra 20 seconds at end.)

I can't but help note the lavish use of "(different from box set.)" as opposed "previously unheard". I would also have to ponder the audio quality after all these decades of questionable storage not to mention (probably) being played to death at the time. Then again, "Teeter-Totter Love" didn't sound too bad...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2013, 12:55:44 AM »

Then again, "Teeter-Totter Love" didn't sound too bad...

You should hear the acetate of "When I Get Mad I Just Kick My Dog" – plays fine despite the teeth marks; it fact, the sound effects of the dog whining and yelping has a deeep beauty…   Grin

“We live in divisive times.”
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2013, 05:39:16 AM »

Is it possible Ms Parks is selling the acetates now because respective parties have done what needs to be done with them and now Durrie has no more use for them.

If that makes sense

It does make sense.  If she discovered these extra acetates in September, perhaps she did make a deal with Capitol so they could add some of the material to the MiC box.  Then, the MiC box gets held up so the compilers could add the material.  So, after already receiving a nice check from Capitol, Durrie sells the things to the dealer before the MiC box is released so she and the dealer can get maximum $$$.  However, if she has other acetates that the compilers of the Smile box did audition prior to it's release, why isn't she selling those?

And who is andy, and how is he hearing these things? 
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 05:46:47 AM by LostArt » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2013, 06:29:04 AM »

In my opinion, I think Durrie Parks rarely, if ever, thought about those acetates.

If I read the details correctly, they were stored in Public Storage, which I believe would be an outdoor facility (though, obviously stored inside the facility). Many of those facilities are not climate controlled. If you really valued these acetates, wouldn't you store them privately, INSIDE (!), maybe in a fireproof safe, certainly not in public place that could be robbed, vandalized, burned down, insect infested, etc.

Also, I wonder how much, if any, emotional attachment Durrie had to those acetates. Forty five years is a long time. Feelings and emotional attachment to collectibles wears off over time. To her, they might've been just a couple of songs, fragments of songs even. Plus, did she ever know the magnitude of what she had in the first place? I mean, they were given to her by the co-composer of the material himself - why didn't HE want them?

There is the chance Durrie had forgotten she even had them until she was approached about them, whether it be from the random collector or the compilers of the SMiLE box set. I can picture Durrie making a phone call or two to somebody who knew something about collecting and SMiLE, and was more than happy to say, "Make me an offer..."
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 06:29:59 AM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2013, 07:22:07 AM »

In my opinion, I think Durrie Parks rarely, if ever, thought about those acetates.

If I read the details correctly, they were stored in Public Storage, which I believe would be an outdoor facility (though, obviously stored inside the facility). Many of those facilities are not climate controlled. If you really valued these acetates, wouldn't you store them privately, INSIDE (!), maybe in a fireproof safe, certainly not in public place that could be robbed, vandalized, burned down, insect infested, etc.

Also, I wonder how much, if any, emotional attachment Durrie had to those acetates. Forty five years is a long time. Feelings and emotional attachment to collectibles wears off over time. To her, they might've been just a couple of songs, fragments of songs even. Plus, did she ever know the magnitude of what she had in the first place? I mean, they were given to her by the co-composer of the material himself - why didn't HE want them?

There is the chance Durrie had forgotten she even had them until she was approached about them, whether it be from the random collector or the compilers of the SMiLE box set. I can picture Durrie making a phone call or two to somebody who knew something about collecting and SMiLE, and was more than happy to say, "Make me an offer..."

In this scenario, you make her seem a complete idiot; " err, they're just some song fragments and even tho hundreds (thousands?)of people have messaged me about them, I'll simply take whatever offer I get, and not get a real opinion on their value before selling"

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2013, 07:48:08 AM »

In this scenario, you make her seem a complete idiot; " err, they're just some song fragments and even tho hundreds (thousands?)of people have messaged me about them, I'll simply take whatever offer I get, and not get a real opinion on their value before selling"

Either you didn't didn't read my post, or you did and you're the complete idiot.

First, it was stated in the description of the acetates that they contained "a part or multiple parts of songs". Sounds like fragments to me.

Second, I wrote, "there is the chance Durrie had forgotten she even had them until she was approached about them". I will repeat the phrase "until she was approached about them". How many years went by before she was contacted about them? The answer is probably several, maybe even decades, certainly enough time to forget what you have, stored away in boxes, in a public storage. Hopefully, she had a life post-Van Dyke and SMiLE.

Third, you wrote, "not get a real opinion on their value before selling". But, I wrote, "I can picture Durrie making a phone call or two TO SOMEBODY WHO KNEW ABOUT COLLECTING AND SMILE". Why don't you consider that getting a real opinion? If the people she called didn't have an answer for her, I'll bet they could easily get it!

Finally, you wrote, "I'll simply take whatever offer I get". I didn't say that. I wrote, "was more than happy to say, "Make me an offer".  You're implying that I said she just wanted to unload them, and would take whatever she could get. What I was really implying, and I thought even you could understand, was that after storing something away for decades, maybe not having an emotional attachment to it, and realizing that there was some demand for it, Durrie was happy, pleased, whatever, to say, "Sure, I have no need for them, they're just sitting in boxes, I see that there is some genuine interest in them, sure, make me an offer..."
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2013, 08:23:19 AM »

^ She mentioned the acetates in the early 2000s, which made the rounds on the internet (i can't find a link right now) and Donny just said in this thread that he talked to her about them in the '90s when he knew her personally. She did not just recently remember that she had them when she was approached for TSS. 

Waiting for Andy to say whatever he's gonna say about these. Is this the Andy from the Smile Shop/the early days of this board?

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2013, 09:18:54 AM »

Waiting for Andy to say whatever he's gonna say about these.

Me too!

(in my best Ant Bee voice) Annndddyyyyyy!  Smiley

Some of our forum members suffer from an acute form of cynicism resulting in a complete lack of patience and manners in the face of anything joyful or optimistic. Try to humor them as best you can for the time being, and one day, with your help, we will find a cure for this devastating disease. This has been a public service announcement.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2013, 09:34:56 AM »

I just hope the person who buys them will let them be heard.

Andy, get back here please, must have more details  Head Spin
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 02, 2013, 09:36:45 AM »

If folks on this board bought them, how would they be stored? Anyone got the facilities? Not me… best bet is that Capitol, or BW, or others from the industry buy and preserve them foreever… or some board member(s) buy(s) them and hands them over as an act of benevolence so they don't just end up in another garage (we don't have a garage, it'd have to be one of our mouse-infested sheds or the kids' toy box).

On the First Wave thing, bgas, once out of copyright anyone could release those tapes - doesn't have to be Brad. I'm betting someone, maybe Hoffman and/or the Morgan estate, has copies… wouldn't be surprised if someone on this board has heard them.

I can afford $100.

I will keep them in my basement along with the full set of 16mm Star Blazers films (Seasons 1 & 2!)

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2013, 09:40:12 AM »

If I put up money, then we should take in it turns to store them. We can post them to each other.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2013, 09:44:02 AM »

She told me casually about them in 1998-99 ... proactively, not prompted by me. She also told me about master tapes. I mentioned it on a board shortly after. Since then, it's become 'lore' or 'rumor', even though the source was quite clear. Lots of people tried to contact her about it, etc. after that, and I felt bad that I had mentioned it at all. The message board I wrote it on is long gone ... I think it was either the original version of the Smile Shop board, or the Cabinessence board.

It's much more complicated than that, but that's basically it. I had a little website, and was trying to do an official 'interview' with her around this time as well, then things got a little weird, possibly related to all of the weirdos coming out of the woodwork (I was 19-20 years old, what did I know?!?). I was more interested in the master tapes that she had. I do remember riding around in her little yellow VW bug though !

Would also like to note that Durrie is a great lady, very kind and personable, and I hope she got a good deal out of this sale !

Looks like my original 'interview' is still up ... it became something more like a couple of emails with some general thoughts, as she didn't want to do a formal interview:

http://troun.tripod.com/durrie.html
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 09:47:34 AM by DonnyL » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx