gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 10:26:36 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Durrie Parks Smile acetates up for sale for $10,000  (Read 129390 times)
mistermono
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2013, 08:53:00 AM »

http://recordmecca.com/store/museum-quality-collectibles/beach-boys-8-original-smile-acetates-from-the-collection-of-van-dyke-parks/

Beach Boys – 8 Original “Smile” Acetates from the collection of Van Dyke Parks
A collection of eight original acetates from the Beach Boys' unfinished album Smile; from the collection of Van Dyke Parks, Brian Wilson's collaborator on the project.  We acquired these unique discs from Durrie Parks, Van Dyke's ex wife (Van Dyke and Durrie lived at Brian Wilson's house during the recording of Smile.)  Smile is the most legendary unreleased album of all time.  Intended as the follow up to the Beach Boys classic Pet Sounds, Wilson worked on Smile throughout 1966 and '67, finally abandoning it in favor of the much less ambitious Smiley Smile.
These discs are truly fascinating pieces of the Smile puzzle.  Each contains a part or multiple parts of a song; together they illustrate how Wilson recorded each of the songs for Smile in pieces, and planned to fit the individual elements together--like puzzle pieces--after the fact.  You can hear this in finished songs like "Heroes and Villians."
Much has been written about why Smile was abandoned--but from discs like these and the recently released Smile box set, it's easy to see how Wilson could have lost the plot.  He recorded endless amounts of material, which could have been fit together in countless ways. At some point it probably just became overwhelming, and easier to start over.
Some but not all of the material on these discs was eventually released as part of the Smile box set.  Below is a fairly detailed explanation of what is contained on each; upon request we'll forward a more detailed breakdown.  None have labels, most have grease pencil markings and/or a scrap of paper with a partial title taped on with clear tape.  All are in G condition, and play through with surface noise but no skips.  A digital transfer of the music is included, as is a letter of authenticity for each disc from Durrie Parks.  A truly unique and museum-quality collection.
(All titles as on Smile box set; all 10" discs unless noted)
Disc 1/Side A/  1.  0:42-1:10 portion of “Cabin Essence” (20/20 version.)/ 2. “Heroes & Villains Verse (Master Take)” (with two more seconds of count-off  than box set .)  3.“Heroes & Villains Barnyard (Master Take)” (with four fewer seconds of count-off and a 10 second earlier fade fade than box set.)  // Side B: 1.  Same as A Side with the “one” included in the count off. 2. Same as A Side. 3. Blank. (side 2 scored but playable; edge is bent/chipped before grooves begin, not affecting play.)
 Disc 2/ 1. 0:42-1:10 portion of “Cabin Essence” (20/20 version.) 2. Two versions of “Do You Like Worms (Bicycle Rider)” with alternate vocals to box set. 3. First 45 seconds of “Heroes and Villains”. Vocal sounds  different than commercial release.
 Disc 3/1. Alternate version of “Cabin Essence Verse“ (different from box set.) 2.  0:42-1:10 portion of “Cabinessence” (20/20 version.)  3.  Alternate version of final minute of Cabin Essence (different from box set.)
 Disc 4/ 1. Alternate version of “Do You Like Worms” that jumps back and forth from the “Roll Plymouth Rock” part and “Bicycle Rider” part.  (Different sequence/medly than on box set.)
 Disc 5/ 1. Alternate version of “Heroes And Villains Verse: Master Take” (different from box set)
Disc 6/ 1.  Final 40 seconds of “Heroes & Villians: Prelude to Fade” from the boxset.  (7")
Disc 7/ 1.  Alternate version of “Wind Chimes” (different from box set.)  (7")
 Disc 8/ 1.  Backing track “Time To Get Alone” (unreleased instrumental version, cut by Brian Wilson in 1967 for Redwood, who became Three Dog Night.  Brian was producing them for Brother Records, but the other Beach Boys wanted the track for themselves and insisted Brian save it.  Appeared later on 20/20, but this version has no vocals and an extra 20 seconds at end.)
- See more at: http://recordmecca.com/store/museum-quality-collectibles/beach-boys-8-original-smile-acetates-from-the-collection-of-van-dyke-parks/#sthash.eiEfU2Ey.dpuf
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 08:58:54 AM »

Wow.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 09:02:12 AM »

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Holy crap. That collection is one of the undisputed "Holy Grails" of the entire Smile saga.

I hope someone transferred these to a digital format or archive before they get sold.

Question...It's been speculated for years what exactly is on those discs, so after looking over the descriptions is there anything there which either does not appear on the Smile box set or has not appeared elsewhere up to this point?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 09:08:46 AM »

It's hard for me to believe this is real. It isn't April 1 yet! So these are supposedly the actual acetates that for years were rumored to be in Durrie Parks' possession?  This was/is the one of the holy grails of Beach Boys record collecting! And these acetates are surfacing and available to the public for the first time? Hard to believe.

Only around the time of the Smile release in 2011 did we know these indeed exisited. Someone (Alan Boyd?) verified that the compilers for the Smile box set had listened to these Durrie acetates and determined that they did not contain material that hasn't been heard before (albeit in better sound quality).

But still. To have these in the collection.......zowee!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 09:14:28 AM »

It's hard for me to believe this is real. It isn't April 1 yet! So these are supposedly the actual acetates that for years were rumored to be in Durrie Parks' possession?  This was/is the one of the holy grails of Beach Boys record collecting! And these acetates are surfacing and available to the public for the first time? Hard to believe.

Only around the time of the Smile release in 2011 did we know these indeed exisited. Someone (Alan Boyd?) verified that the compilers for the Smile box set had listened to these Durrie acetates and determined that they did not contain material that hasn't been heard before (albeit in better sound quality).

But still. To have these in the collection.......zowee!

Thanks for confirming that, Mikie! I wondered since I first heard about them exactly what was on the discs, and whether there may be missing vocals, lyrics, "unbooted" stuff, etc.

What a collectable, considering what these were and the descriptions of Brian hosting listening parties where he'd play acetates like this for guests, just an amazing lot of items. I'm amazed they survived, considering how fragile acetates were.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 09:29:36 AM »

WOW is RIGHT!!!

These have me especially curious:

Disc 2/ 2. Two versions of “Do You Like Worms (Bicycle Rider)” with alternate vocals to box set.
Disc 2/ 3. First 45 seconds of “Heroes and Villains”. Vocal sounds different than commercial release.

Disc 3/ 1. Alternate version of “Cabin Essence Verse“ (different from box set.)
Disc 3/ 3. Alternate version of final minute of Cabin Essence (different from box set.)

Disc 4/ 1. Alternate version of “Do You Like Worms” that jumps back and forth from the “Roll Plymouth Rock” part
              and “Bicycle Rider” part.  (Different sequence/medly than on box set.)

Disc 5/ 1. Alternate version of “Heroes And Villains Verse: Master Take” (different from box set)

Disc 7/ 1. Alternate version of “Wind Chimes” (different from box set.)  (7")

Again, WOW!  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 09:48:00 AM by Tricycle Rider » Logged

Some of our forum members suffer from an acute form of cynicism resulting in a complete lack of patience and manners in the face of anything joyful or optimistic. Try to humor them as best you can for the time being, and one day, with your help, we will find a cure for this devastating disease. This has been a public service announcement.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 09:30:45 AM »

Do you like worms with alternate vocals. Yes.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 09:40:12 AM »

Real interesting. Somebody with deep pockets will get great chunk of history that is sure
to appreciate in value. $$$$$

I love listening to all the bits and pieces of BB archives but no doubt there is nothing here
that I wouldn't already have...and if I want to listen to a couple of seconds of  One, two, One two
three, FOUR -- well I have plenty of material that will fit that need.  LOL

Sea of Tunes discs have puh-l-enty of stuff to keep me entertained. Thats is a real gold mine there, pard.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 09:56:49 AM »

If Alan Boyd did, indeed, audition these acetates, then I feel pretty sure that the "alternate" stuff isn't radically different from what we've already heard.

"Do You Like Worms" vocals probably have some slightly different chanting; I seriously doubt any lost verse vocals are present.

The alternate "Wind Chimes" could well be the track as presented on the Good Vibrations Box Set (but not the SMiLE box set).

I admit that alternate editing of the "Do You Like Worms" segments sounds interesting and I'd be happy to hear any slight variations in "H&V" and "Cabinessence"...but not for 10, 000!

One final note: Referring to the excerpt of "Cabinessence" as coming from the "20/20" version makes the discs seem like fakes since neither Van Dyke nor Durrie would have had access to acetates in 1968 when that version of the song was completed.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 10:00:47 AM by Roger Ryan » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 09:57:14 AM »

"A digital transfer of the music is included…"

Even more enticing!

As for the track listing, these have me going (if this is a prank, it's good!):

Disc 2)      2. Two versions of “Do You Like Worms (Bicycle Rider)” with alternate vocals to box set.
                3. First 45 seconds of “Heroes and Villains”. Vocal sounds  different than commercial release.

Disc 3)      1. Alternate version of “Cabin Essence Verse“ (different from box set.)
                3. Alternate version of final minute of Cabin Essence (different from box set.)

Disc 4)      1. Alternate version of “Do You Like Worms” that jumps back and forth from the “Roll Plymouth Rock” part and “Bicycle Rider” part.  (Different sequence/medly than on box set.)

Disc 5)      1. Alternate version of “Heroes And Villains Verse: Master Take” (different from box set)

Disc 7)      1.  Alternate version of  “Wind Chimes” (different from box set.)  (7")

Disc Cool      1.  Backing track “Time To Get Alone” (unreleased instrumental version (… this version has no vocals and an extra 20 seconds at end.)

“We live in divisive times.”
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 10:04:26 AM »

Man, i am getting a really heavy emotional response when looking at the pictures of those acetates.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
andy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 10:10:00 AM »

I've listened to them. I hope to have a detailed write-up of them later.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 10:17:19 AM »

I must 'come out' here ... I am the one the started the 'rumor' back in the '90s.

It was not a rumor; I knew Durrie personally during this time, and she told me casually about the acetates on a few occasions. A year or two later, I innocently mentioned it on a forum. I lost touch with her for awhile, and I think some people probably contacted her about it ... so I felt kind of weird.

In any case, this may be a happy ending -- I hope she got some decent $$$ for these things, and hopefully someone will buy them & archive them for all to hear!

Personally, I think these are very important because they represent some of the only original BW mixes of the era. I lost my chance to hear 'em many years ago!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 10:19:51 AM by DonnyL » Logged

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 10:20:06 AM »

If Alan Boyd did, indeed, audition these acetates, then I feel pretty sure that the "alternate" stuff isn't radically different from what we've already heard.

Notice I said "(Alan Boyd?)" with a question mark. That is an assumption on my part. AGD said on this board that "they" (assuming Boyd, Linett, Wolfe) had listened to the acetates and came up with nothing of value. I'm paraphrasing here.

Before that, it was rumored that Durrie had found the acetates in storage.  

There have been pranks about stuff like this in the past.  If it is a prank, like John said, it's a good one!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 10:45:06 AM »

This is a rhetorical question; I already know the answer. And my intent is NOT to hammer Brian or Melinda. But, why don't they - Brian & Melinda - just write a check for $10,000 or whatever and buy the acetates?

Yes, I come from the perspective of a Brian Wilson fan and BB diehard who never wrote or performed a note of music. I can't relate to Brian Wilson or any other genius or any other great musician. But, I still have a wish.

SMiLE is always going to be one of the great myths, unreleased albums, mysteries, "what if's", etc. Its spectacle was slightly diluted by the 1993 boxed set, and even more with the 2011 SMiLE Sessions boxed set. But, if I wrote it or produced it, or was married to that guy, I'd want to own EVERYTHING there is related to SMiLE. I'd want to accumulate it, document it, and preserve it for future generations. I realize Brian and Melinda have other pressing issues in their lives, and accumulating SMiLE pieces ain't one of them. But, I always wished they would've hired somebody to do the job. That person would be responsible for tracking down all SMiLE-related material. They would've investigated the 1967 David Oppenheim tapes, all bootlegs, all radio programs, all studio tapes, all photos, all magazines, all interviews, all album cover slicks - and all acetates.

Brian said in more than one interview that SMiLE was the best work he'd ever done. Of course most of us on this board agree. But, now, parts of it are all over the place. Yeah, we have most of the music on the boxed set, but you know what I mean. Does anybody feel the same way. Do you ever wish more effort would('ve) been made to investigate, track down, and accumulate ALL things SMiLE, to be put in one place, into one home if you will? We're talking about Brian's art here, something that mattered a lot to him, and probably still does. Money should not be a factor...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 10:48:59 AM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2013, 10:51:39 AM »

Regardless of money, doubt Brian cares.
Melinda would if there was exclusive stuff on these...

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2013, 10:54:45 AM »

http://recordmecca.com/rmsite/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Durrie-Parks-2.jpeg

Is this her signature? Looks like it's signed by a Jon something. Also weird is that you can put them in your cart forc $10000. One would think these are auction quality.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 10:57:56 AM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2013, 10:57:30 AM »

Got to head out for some lottery tickets!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2013, 11:01:37 AM »

And, of course, you are correct. That would be the answer to the rhetorical question.

But, why DON'T they care? You care. many people care. I care. Actually, I would make it a priority. If I was married to Brian Wilson, I would make it a MISSION to accumulate ALL things SMiLE. And, that's not a criticism of Melinda. It's something I wondered about for years.

A semi-related question, and not to be critical of Brian. Would McCartney care, or Paul Simon, or Dylan? Care about preserving their greatest work? Just thinking out loud...
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2013, 11:05:55 AM »

Is this her signature? Looks like it's signed by a Jon something.

It says "January 2013".

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2013, 11:12:50 AM »

As usual, I should not be writing online before I've had my coffee.

Thanks   Cry

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2013, 11:14:23 AM »

And, of course, you are correct. That would be the answer to the rhetorical question.

But, why DON'T they care? You care. many people care. I care. Actually, I would make it a priority. If I was married to Brian Wilson, I would make it a MISSION to accumulate ALL things SMiLE. And, that's not a criticism of Melinda. It's something I wondered about for years.

A semi-related question, and not to be critical of Brian. Would McCartney care, or Paul Simon, or Dylan? Care about preserving their greatest work? Just thinking out loud...

I understand your viewpoint here. We speak as pedantic fans, the feelings of someone who actually was there (and his manager wife) are certainly different and I don't think it's a bad thing, necessarily. As fans/collectors, we have our place, but I don't think we should expect Melinda and Brian to be creating a SMiLE tome just because it's a legendary and hugely important part of the story. As far as SMiLE goes for Brian - he's had self-gratification on more than one level - 2004, 2011, now 2013 with the Grammy. I actually don't think he should care, it probably wouldn't be healthy for him to care. WE care, that's the position we have put ourselves in.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2013, 11:21:15 AM »

C'mon Smiley Smilers, let's buy them!  All we need is 10,000 people to put up one dollar each.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2013, 11:22:00 AM »

Is this her signature? Looks like it's signed by a Jon something. Also weird is that you can put them in your cart forc $10000. One would think these are auction quality.

Yeah why aren't these on ebay??  LOL

A couple of years ago due to a windfall insurance claim I had that kind of money -- whether I would have lived long enough
to play them for my wife is another question.  Tip Toe
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 11:24:54 AM by leggo of my ego » Logged

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2013, 11:40:46 AM »

Something to keep in mind: The temporary nature of acetates in general, where they were made at this time specifically for the client to take home and listen to the day's work in the studio (not made for repeat plays), creates a situation where the average Joe with 10,000 who may want to buy these runs the risk of destroying them, or at least degrading the sound quality to the point of them being unlistenable over time. They are museum pieces, in a way, and I'm guessing someone already has transferred them using the proper equipment.

Various archives like the Library of Congress get acetates and store/catalog acetates which have literally fallen apart when they've attempted to transfer them, again depending on how they were made originally.

All I'm saying is you wouldn't want to put one of these on a Technics turntable and have a listening party for friends if you owned them. I still cringe at that scene in some Beatles or Buddy Holly documentary when McCartney puts the original "That'll Be The Day" Quarrymen acetate on some cheap portable record player... Smiley

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx