-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:45:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Just got laid off
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Just got laid off  (Read 15140 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« on: January 21, 2013, 03:31:33 PM »

Can someone PLEASE put me out of my misery?!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 06:55:02 PM »

That sucks, man. I'll send good thoughts your way.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 07:06:05 PM »

Thanks Ian. The past two years have been terrible. At times I wonder why I even bother to continue.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 07:24:31 PM »

All the best, man. Keep going at the very least for your kids. They need you more than you know.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 07:48:36 PM »

My wife and daughter are the only things keeping me going at this point. As I was telling a dear friend earlier, im 34 years old and have done jack sh*t. The one time I was making good money, I up and had a minor stroke so they decided they didn't need me any more. The only thing im good at really can't make me money. I Guarandamntee I have probably the best musical ear of anyone not named Wilson, but because I didn't finish college, it's not like I  can get a job in a studio, especially now that most people are DIY these says. I mean, the best shot I have of leaving any kind of positive legacy is after im gone if someone were to go through my old tapes and realize I was doing dubstep 15 years ago before anyone ever heard of Skrillex. Realizing I will never be financially stable depresses me as much as knowing I could have amounted to something had I not been too chickenshit earlier. Every place in town that is hiring is just minimum wage and part time. Wife is on disability and that is our only income. I am stuck like this, and the hopelessness probably is the most depressing part of all.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 06:33:47 AM »

sh*t, billy. I'm sorry, and you are in my thoughts.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 09:24:29 AM »

Thanks dude. I must have been a real sh*t during my past life. At this point I hope my next go round is better.

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 09:42:44 AM »

Billy, you seem like a great guy and I always enjoy reading your posts. I am not really familiar with your situation beyond this thread, but I do wish you the best of luck and hope you get over this rough patch. The dubstep thing you mentioned sounds pretty cool and if you're as talented as you said, then I'm sure there's gotta be something you can do with it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 09:44:52 AM by Sail On, Brian » Logged
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 09:50:11 AM »

Sorry man.  Do not get too depressed.  Get drunk have a good cry... but get it out of your system tonight.  This is transition, that's all.  An opportunity to do something better, which will be the case.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 11:37:17 AM »

Eh... Can't drink as im not in the best of health. Couldn't afford it anyways. Just came back from job hunting with no luck. All the previous experience I have means sh*t. Im about a good 30k or so in debt. Foreclosure proceedings are coming. I have been struggling to keep my emotions under control for two years, since those bastardly Douche Network assholes decided to fire me while in hospital. Don't worry though... Not gonna top myself. I have a family. Besides, knowing my luck I'd probably f*** that up too and end up a vegetable.

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 11:59:27 AM »

Sorry to hear about your problems Billy. The economy sucks for just about everyone right now in one way or another. Just barrel through it and hope we all come out in one piece on the other side.  Wink
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 02:04:59 PM »

Hold on, Billy; we all care for you here. Turn to family and friends; you may be surprised who is there for you.

The Professor sends his best
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 04:25:37 PM »

Thank you guys.  I really don't have too many people to turn to. My family disowned me years ago (at least the ones who are still living; oh no, the folks who actually gave a sh*t about me are the ones who get sick and die smh).

I know one thing, though...auditions for The Voice are gonna be here in Houston on 9 Feb.  Can't hurt.

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 07:17:26 PM »

Get your resume together and let's get it out -- post it on here some way, PM if you prefer.  There's folks all over the damn planet on this forum.  Quite often, the shite we really care about doesn't pay... but the stuff we can do does.

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 08:46:40 PM »

Have you tried temp agencies Billy?

Also, I don't want to get all sentimental or anything, but,  Hug

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 08:53:32 PM »

Thanks Fish. I actually hit up temp agencies today with no luck. I can't do a lot of real physical work, and nothing was available at this time.

And hell, maybe things are happening like this for a reason. My dream since I was a kid has been to have a music career. I ended up concentrating on writing and (especially) producing and engineering rather than singing, but it sure can't hurt to try . Ten years ago, I was starting to make some moves. I had done some freelance work, and was contracted to do the soundtrack for a freeware space shooter. It didn't pan out due to legal issues (not mine!) but that led to a couple of potential label deals the following year. Didn't happen, as a series of personal tragedies ended up taking most of my attention. Then, a few years later when my daughter was born, my focus became on trying to support my family and I put the dream aside. I went from writing and recording an average of about 10-15 songs per month to not completing more than a handful of songs for a few years. No sh*t...not only do I have close to 300 tracks online, I have a suitcase full of cassette tapes that I've never uploaded (and that's not including stuff I did while I was in college from 1997-2001). No exaggeration, I must have done probably about 450-500 songs since 2001. But...I couldn't bring myself to do something with it. I have album-length works all sequenced, mixed, mastered, everything. Yet...I couldn't bring myself to actually start selling them or submitting demos. Hell, even when I got some radio play I couldn't do anything. Sure, it was college-radio (KTRU), but still. I mean, I never submitted a demo or nothing; unbeknownst to me. the station manager was on my mailing list at Soundclick and had done some downloading apparently. Yet, that wasn't enough. Now, I look back at all the time I wasted and I get pissed off. I had plenty of opportunities, but fear of rejection and doing what others expected me to do (i.e.,' real' work as opposed to a 'silly dream') ended up costing me big. I think that's what's got me down, because now that I'm ready, i feel like time passed me by. Long-time posters know I'm actually very defensive when it comes to modern music. Thing is, as alluded to before, I'd been doing much of this ten to fifteen years ago, but figured nobody would get it. Now, I hear NES samples being used as the basis for pop songs, or I hear hip hop with techno-influenced beats, and I shake my head because I've done it already .

Didn't mean for that to be so long, although I have started to feel a little better over the past couple of hours. All this is a roundabout way of saying it's these missed opportunities that are what is killing me from the inside out. Because of a combination of fear and also people telling me that I was wasting my time and should 'man up' and get a 'real' job, I missed out on too many opportunities. Now, anything I write is going to be compared to something that's already been done, unless I somehow stumble on a new sound by accident (and really, a lot of the earlier work I did I was just trying to experiment... I thought I was making noise LOL). So, to make an epic story just merely long, I'm not going to make the same mistake again. I'm gonna go ahead and do this audition. If I make it to the callback auditions, I'd consider that to be a huge success. I'm not expecting to (and really, I have a decent voice, but my true talent is in my ear as opposed to my throat), but at least I'll be doing something towards accomplishing my dream.

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 08:59:40 PM »

Good luck. Hope something comes along soon.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
halblaineisgood
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 09:12:00 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 08:32:21 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 09:25:07 PM »

Hell, I was just foolin' around too ! Usually I'd do karaoke when..um... "buzzed", so it's been s while since I've actually tried. Gotta start practicing!.

halblaineisgood
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2013, 09:42:58 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 02:18:15 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2013, 09:54:54 PM »

Yeah, I think with me I am looser. Wife says my best vocals come when im not really trying, just singing around the house while cleaning or something

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2013, 10:41:07 PM »

I've heard some of your stuff Billy. You've got talent coming out the wazoo.  Grin Keep it up. Get those songs uploaded and/or finished. Eventually somebody has to notice you and reach out in some way. Send your version of Still I Dream Of It to Brian's people. They might like it enough to pass it on to somebody in the business who could find some kind of work for you. I'm an occasional poet/writer. It's mostly as a hobby, but everybody whose seen my writing has told me to try to get published. Send me an instrumental track or two, and we'll see if we can turn it into a hit. Wink

A lot of people here really care about you. Hell, you're one of us now. We aren't letting you get away easily. You're basically stuck with us now.  LOL

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2013, 12:08:47 AM »

Thanks Jay. Hell bro, I'd love to work with you. I'll try to work on some tracks specifically to leave room for vocals.

Thanks to everyone in this thread for being there for me. I've had a fuckton of ups and downs lately, with more downs than ups, and I'm glad I have some people in my corner. While I hunt for a job, I'm gonna work like hell on music and try to get something to happen.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2013, 01:30:44 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xefp25PDYG4&feature=youtu.be

Did this earlier. Posted it in the karaoke thread too but what the hell.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2013, 05:34:27 AM »

Good Luck Billy!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: