gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 05:41:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which album is the Beach Boys' most polarizing release?  (Read 18974 times)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 06, 2013, 09:13:02 AM »

You know you're a Beach Boys fanatic when you - Analyze the cover of "Keepin the summer alive"
Indeed!  LOL

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 06, 2013, 09:16:35 AM »

You know you're a Beach Boys fanatic when you - Analyze the cover of "Keepin the summer alive"
Good point LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 06, 2013, 09:18:24 AM »

I always thought the cover conveyed the message that even at the coldest places on the Earth, you could be warmed up by the music of The Beach Boys. Again, just my opinion.

Kinda what I always thought, too.

As much as I hate their fun-in-the-sun image, I've always loved this album cover.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 06, 2013, 09:37:19 AM »

KTSA is one of my favorite album covers, too.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 06, 2013, 11:02:20 AM »

I always thought the cover conveyed the message that even at the coldest places on the Earth, you could be warmed up by the music of The Beach Boys. Again, just my opinion.

I second that opinion. 
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 06, 2013, 11:10:09 AM »

I always thought it conveyed the message that even on a full-price new Beach Boys album, you could get cheap Taiwanese postcard art.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 06, 2013, 11:14:52 AM »

Yep, just like the cheap Taiwanese cardboard Reprise used for the Love You and MIU LPs.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #107 on: February 07, 2013, 04:53:47 AM »

I second that opinion. 

I think there may be a clue to the meaning of the cover in the title of the album. It's pretty obscure but stick with it, you may get it.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 07, 2013, 05:05:56 AM »

I'm slow Stephen, can you give me a hint?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: February 07, 2013, 05:17:51 AM »

This is the Beach Boys most polar-izing release for an obvious reason:

Thing I always found interesting about that cover is that polar bears only live at the North Pole, while you only find polar penguins at the South Pole, so one or other animal must have been brought by the band.
"Dennis, what have I said? No polar bears!"
"Look, I've told you before, I'm not playing unless there are *at least* two polar bears within ten feet of me at all times. It's in my rider."

Polar bears and penguins on one picture? Aw, that's nothing! Look at this:

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 07, 2013, 06:51:21 AM »

I always thought the second ice age had come and The Beach Boys were trapped in a mysterious dome by the government, tasked with KEEPIN THE SUMMER ALIVE until the scientists find ways to warm the earth. I reckon this should be the plot of any new Beach Boys movie, as the band fight off inaccurate representations of nature from their dome whilst taking time out to play their greatest hits.

Like, there can a The Thing type dynamic where suddenly they look outside and there, crossing the frozen wastes, is David Marks, busting the perfect solo to Shut Down with the Fender that he has used to survive the many miles, and the band must debate whether to let him in and save his life or whether he is somehow contaminated or 'unsafe'. And Al is found to have smuggled a penguin inside and adopted it as a pet called 'Tuxedo', and he must bid it a tearful farewell as a penguin cannot live in the sunny climes of the dome. Hollywood would eat this up.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 07:06:35 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #111 on: February 07, 2013, 07:07:24 AM »

I always thought the second ice age had come and The Beach Boys were trapped in a mysterious dome by the government, tasked with KEEPIN THE SUMMER ALIVE until the scientists find ways to warm the earth. I reckon this should be the plot of any new Beach Boys movie, as the band fight off inaccurate representations of nature from their dome whilst taking time out to play their greatest hits.

Like, there can a The Thing type dynamic where suddenly they look outside and there, crossing the frozen wastes, is David Marks, with a Fender, and the band must debate whether to let him in and save his life or whether he is somehow contaminated or 'unsafe'. And Al is found to have smuggled a penguin inside and adopted it as a pet called 'Tuxedo', and he must bid it a tearful farewell as a penguin cannot live in the sunny climes of the dome. Hollywood would eat this up.

Great!, and in a cameo role Phil Spector could play Helen Mirren
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 07, 2013, 07:20:47 AM »

Like, there can a The Thing type dynamic where suddenly they look outside and there, crossing the frozen wastes, is David Marks, busting the perfect solo to Shut Down with the Fender that he has used to survive the many miles, and the band must debate whether to let him in and save his life or whether he is somehow contaminated or 'unsafe'. And Al is found to have smuggled a penguin inside and adopted it as a pet called 'Tuxedo', and he must bid it a tearful farewell as a penguin cannot live in the sunny climes of the dome. Hollywood would eat this up.
Then Bruce's odd behavior during C50 is explained when he turns out to be " the thing".  Brian has to burn "the thing" while wearing a smile-era firehat and having the BBs play "fire"
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 07:54:02 AM by SMiLE Brianista » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 07, 2013, 07:25:04 AM »

Haha, Brian looks outside and sees, partially obscured by the driving snow, a tiny man building a wall out in the arid land. Signalling him over, the shivering midget with the frost bitten wig identifies himself as Phil Spector, who has spent the post apocalyptic era building The Wall Of Sound.

"You should have got a dome, it's pretty neat." Brian shouts through the glass. Unable to concede that he was mistaken, Phil Spector curses inaudibly, his piercing stare evident even through his shades. Staggering back, Phil suddenly hears a familiar drum beat, muffled but instantly arresting. Turning around, he can make out Brian snapping his fingers along to his own Be My Baby. Looking out, he waves at Phil jovially.

"That bastard!" Phil screams. In the dome, the record ends, and Brian instinctively moves the arm back to the start of the worn 45.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 07, 2013, 07:27:21 AM »

I should get back to work

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 07, 2013, 07:28:54 AM »

I should get back to work
No.... Grin

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 07, 2013, 09:06:14 AM »

Then Bruce's odd behavior during C50 is explained when he turns out to be " the thing".  Brian has to burn "the thing" while wearing a smile-era firehat and having the BBs play "fire"

Bruce needs to be grabbed this instant, tied all winter to a f#cking couch and have a sample of his blood tested with something hot.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 07, 2013, 09:22:47 AM »

Like, there can a The Thing type dynamic where suddenly they look outside and there, crossing the frozen wastes, is David Marks, with a Fender, and the band must debate whether to let him in and save his life or whether he is somehow contaminated or 'unsafe'. And Al is found to have smuggled a penguin inside and adopted it as a pet called 'Tuxedo', and he must bid it a tearful farewell as a penguin cannot live in the sunny climes of the dome. Hollywood would eat this up.

Lay off the Mirren. That is an absolute GILF.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 07, 2013, 09:36:30 AM »

Bruce needs to be grabbed this instant, tied all winter to a f#cking couch and have a sample of his blood tested with something hot.
I think thats what put the reunion on hold...

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #119 on: February 07, 2013, 10:13:38 AM »

Lay off the Mirren. That is an absolute GILF.

Fine, as long as you lay off Brucey, the living embodiment of the term BBILF
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 07, 2013, 12:48:31 PM »

It's the shorts, isn't it?  Grin

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #121 on: February 07, 2013, 02:02:29 PM »

It always comes down to the shorts
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 07, 2013, 04:34:12 PM »

in the grand scheme of things, my vote goes to 'Love You'. Among fans, it really seems to be a love or hate thing (rarely do people seem to think it's just alright, or 'good'). An album considered to be the group's last classic by many critics, yet would also likely cause casual listeners to scratch their heads. 'Smiley' contains 'Good Vibrations' & 'Heroes & Villains' ... universally acclaimed.

I think it's just alright...I like the "drunk" tunes as I call them (Side 1 + Solar System, Love is a Woman) and not so much of the others.

Aren't they ALL "drunk songs" on Love You?

Love You is Brian's Tonight's the Night.

And a wonderful ride it is!!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 07, 2013, 06:13:41 PM »

They're not actually shorts. Bruce is still wearing those stage pants Al Jardine lent him when he debuted with the band back in '65.

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: February 08, 2013, 01:50:54 AM »

They're not actually shorts. Bruce is still wearing those stage pants Al Jardine lent him when he debuted with the band back in '65.

You've convinced me! Grin

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx