gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:12:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Brian Wilson" to be reissued on vinyl.  (Read 25546 times)
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2013, 11:53:11 AM »

Thanks, "ace."
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2013, 11:56:41 AM »

Grin

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2013, 01:21:08 PM »

This is the thread I was thinking of ( there may be more than 1):  http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,9597.0.html

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2013, 01:36:43 PM »

6. When the CD was reissued in 2000, it was immediately obvious that at least two tracks were slightly, but notably, different mixes. Mark's (Linett) explanation was that as no assembled master for the album existed, but rather the songs on individual tapes, he pulled what he thought was the 1988 master for each one from the racks.

Some of these issues are confusing to me, so if this question is ignorant, please straighten me out.

OK, so Mark pulled what he thought was the 1988 master for each of the tracks. It's hard to believe that could happen with someone of the magnitude of Brian Wilson, but so be it. I guess because IT IS Brian Wilson that I can believe it. But here's what I don't understand. COULDN'T MARK IMMEDIATELY HEAR THE DIFFERENCES IN THE TRACKS,  PUT THE BRAKES ON, GO "Whoa, wait a minute", AND USE THE CORRECT MIXES?

It's almost like he - or anybody - wasn't aware that incorrect mixes were used UNTIL THE FANS BROUGHT IT UP!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 01:41:25 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2013, 01:47:45 PM »

Weren't the "Sweet Insanity" master tapes stolen?  Maybe whoever has those has the master tape set for "Brian Wilson."

Getting back to the argument about whether digitizing master tapes renders vinyl reissues a moot point, wasn't "Brian Wilson" recorded and mastered in a digital format (not to mention being almost entirely recorded with programmed  digital synths)? It was issued as a CD at the same time it was issued as a vinyl record (and cassette tape). So, therefore, it always had a digital element to it.
adloc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2013, 03:39:26 PM »

There are a few interesting comments about the 2000 reissue and the 'CD exchange' in :

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups#!topic/rec.music.artists.beach-boys/n_WrcrJoRAM

Also mikie, was it just a coincidence that you referred to 'Thank God for the Radio' or were you thinking of this:

http://www.musicstack.com/album/carl+wilson/thank+god+for+the+radio

Shocked
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 04:04:59 PM by adloc » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2013, 06:49:27 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 08:51:50 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2013, 07:14:00 PM »

Also mikie, was it just a coincidence that you referred to 'Thank God for the Radio' or were you thinking of this:

Shocked

Nah, that's a different Carl Wilson.  Man, did you see what that Carl Wilson "Long Promised Road" CD is going for on that website?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2013, 08:39:25 PM »

Shocked

Nah, that's a different Carl Wilson.  Man, did you see what that Carl Wilson "Long Promised Road" CD is going for on that website?

Oh my god that other Carl Wilson I can't stop laughing

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2013, 08:40:03 PM »

I dunno. Whenever I get a piece of vinyl these days I just look at it, take the shrink wrap off (so it doesn't warp), and store it away in the collectione with the rest of the vinyl. Don't even have my turntable hooked up to my stereo anymore. It has cob webs on it. Takes up too much space and it's not worth the effort pull it out and to fire it up. Guess my audiophile ears from 20 years ago no longer fully appreciate the warm, rich, lossless analog sound that virgin vinyl produces...

After 21 years in boxes due to four moves, no, six, the first thing I did when we moved back into our house in Texas last month after 6 long years in Las Vegas was unpack my albums and into a built-in cabinet.  Maybe about 150, a quarter of those Beach Boys (including the aforementioned original Brian Wilson solo LP and counting the framed ones on the wall above the piano), some of it in the "why on earth do I have this?" category.  They look great behind those glass doors.  Next to a little stereo that only plays CDs.  Wow, if I only had a turntable.  Or a cassette player. Lots of those, too.
adloc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2013, 01:09:36 AM »

Shocked

LOL  Was just amazed that something did exist with the title from your earlier post and that not only was the title spookily prescient (being pre TWGMTR)) but was recorded by a 'Carl Wilson' -  who, had I actually been in any doubt, was clearly a very 'different' Carl! But then there's also a track called 'Darlin'' on the album and that's a different Darlin'. An alternative universe?
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2013, 10:51:26 AM »

Replace all the damn bell sounds with farty snyths and the album would be fixed. Like imagine "There's So Many" with a bunch of farty snyths in the background instead of tinkling bells when Brian sings the "planets are spinning around" bit. Much better.

Farty synths.  I love farty synths.  Best post of the day.

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2013, 11:07:27 AM »

There was an offer to send in the 2000 re-issued Brian Wilson CD to Rhino in exchange for a corrected copy. I never returned mine for an exchange. I heard that a couple of others sent their copies of the CD in and received a different copy of the same thing! Did anyone here send their original 2000 copy in and get a "corrected" copy?

Notes to self (from other posters) when I started a thread years ago about the differences between the original 1988 and 2000 resissue mixes. The 2000 Rhino version:

1, A part right after the bridge on "Love And Mercy" is different. And, the remastered CD is a lot louder than the original.

2. On "Love & Mercy" there seems to be a part missing right near the beginning, the instrumental part before the vocals start, kind of an echoing of each instrumental line, mixed a little lower volumewise. The high "ahhh ahhhs" in the closing fading are missing.

3. Love & Mercy - during the bridge, when it's supposed to be quiet, there are a few stray synth notes on the Rhino Version.

4. "Melt Away" - the high "ahhh ahhhs" in the closing fade are missing.

5. Let It Shine" - another track that is somewhat different on the 2000 remaster, but I couldn't tell you off the top of my head how.

6. When the CD was reissued in 2000, it was immediately obvious that at least two tracks were slightly, but notably, different mixes. Mark's (Linett) explanation was that as no assembled master for the album existed, but rather the songs on individual tapes, he pulled what he thought was the 1988 master for each one from the racks.

Awesome... never knew this.  I always thought it sounded off -- those little "stray synth notes" during the silent part of Love & Mercy.  "bink. bink. bink."
You're referring to the part before the big finale, right?

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2013, 01:32:32 PM »

i'd take the outtakes of the album on vinyl any day...escpecially Rio Grande and Melt Away

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2013, 01:39:50 PM »

... The 180 gram thing is a total scam, it has nothing to do with quality sound, it is only because the vinyl is so thick there is less chance of warpage ...

True dat, Spacer. That's the advantage of the 160G/180G warpage - an advantage by itself. Japanese standard vinyl is 160G. Thick vinyl will preserve better in the long run and when pressed properly, will track fantastically. Other than that, I think 180 gram vinyl is nothing but a marketing ploy. There are alot of bad 180G pressings out there, and there are plenty of great 160G pressings. It's all about the mastering and quality control at the pressing plant. If you don't market your album to audiophiles, who will buy a damn 180G record over a 160G record? So just stay with a 160G release. It's not gonna make any difference sonically.

Gotta agree that 180 gram vinyl is a marketing ploy more than an quality improvement.  Yes, it is less susceptible to warpage, but because of its thickness 180 gram vinyl is far more susceptible to noisy, scratchy sounding bursts of "non-fill" distortion than standard 120 gram vinyl.  This non-fill distortion occurs far more frequently when pressing thick 180 to 200 gram vinyl because the molten vinyl in a thicker pressing is more likely to harden too soon, before completely filling the grooves in the stamper.  

Personally, I much prefer a 120 to 140 gram pressing to a 180 to 200 gram pressing.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2013, 01:50:40 PM »

... The 180 gram thing is a total scam, it has nothing to do with quality sound, it is only because the vinyl is so thick there is less chance of warpage ...

True dat, Spacer. That's the advantage of the 160G/180G warpage - an advantage by itself. Japanese standard vinyl is 160G. Thick vinyl will preserve better in the long run and when pressed properly, will track fantastically. Other than that, I think 180 gram vinyl is nothing but a marketing ploy. There are alot of bad 180G pressings out there, and there are plenty of great 160G pressings. It's all about the mastering and quality control at the pressing plant. If you don't market your album to audiophiles, who will buy a damn 180G record over a 160G record? So just stay with a 160G release. It's not gonna make any difference sonically.

Gotta agree that 180 gram vinyl is a marketing ploy more than an quality improvement.  Yes, it is less susceptible to warpage, but because of its thickness 180 gram vinyl is far more susceptible to noisy, scratchy sounding bursts of "non-fill" distortion than standard 120 gram vinyl.  This non-fill distortion occurs far more frequently when pressing thick 180 to 200 gram vinyl because the molten vinyl in a thicker pressing is more likely to harden too soon, before completely filling the grooves in the stamper.  

Personally, I much prefer a 120 to 140 gram pressing to a 180 to 200 gram pressing.

What's your average weight of a 60s UK LP (e.g. all the Beach boys ones) - they are what I class as perfect, although a tiny bit thinner isn't a bad thing. 180G always leaves Ring Wear on the sleeve/inners too.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2013, 01:51:57 PM »

i'd take the outtakes of the album on vinyl any day...escpecially Rio Grande and Melt Away

But.............there aren't any outtakes on vinyl.  They're on CD and bootlegs.  Plus, most of the outtakes are in demo and rough mix form anyway, so how can you improve them sonically with vinyl? Doubt you'd notice much difference.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2013, 01:55:35 PM »

But.............there aren't any outtakes on vinyl.  They're on CD and bootlegs.  Plus, most of the outtakes are in demo and rough mix form anyway, so how can you improve them sonically with vinyl? Doubt you'd notice much difference.

idk...art for the sake of art

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2013, 01:56:15 PM »

Awesome... never knew this.  I always thought it sounded off -- those little "stray synth notes" during the silent part of Love & Mercy.  "bink. bink. bink."You're referring to the part before the big finale, right?

During the bridge. No big deal - if you hadn't heard the original release so many times, you probably wouldn't notice it.

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2013, 01:58:21 PM »

That's probably the same thing I'm guilty of with vinyl. Screw sonic improvement, that's how I play my music! Hell, I put up with the original UK Pet Sounds for 2 years, I can out up with anything! (Flippin' DuoPhonic Fold down!)

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2013, 03:17:06 PM »

That's probably the same thing I'm guilty of with vinyl. Screw sonic improvement, that's how I play my music! Hell, I put up with the original UK Pet Sounds for 2 years, I can out up with anything! (Flippin' DuoPhonic Fold down!)

thank you!

BTW, what's different about UK PS?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2013, 03:19:36 PM »

Yikes, you are a brave soul.... Cheesy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2013, 03:36:58 PM »

thank you!

He noted the difference in his post.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2013, 03:38:03 PM »

thank you!

He noted the difference in his post.
oops, I'm a moron, I misread that.,  thanks!

~post of the century~
-Mikie

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2013, 03:46:55 PM »

Already got a decent sounding second hand copy....

Dismissing vinyl reissues as an industry out right is dim.

I'm not dim, I'm Alex. Watch it. Personally, I have been burned by bad pressings from all the majors, Capitol, Sony, etc., as well as Sundazed, Norton and all the others. Several times each, in fact. Whereas I can count on about three fingers the times I bought a factory-damaged bad pressing in the 70's and 80's. There is always at least one digital step in the vinyl process these days, and to me, that negates the purpose of the thing to a large degree.

Whereas I've had a mixed bag - some bad, some not. Maybe you've had bad luck (and why would we beef over vinyl reissues, for gods sake) but I'm just basing this off what I've bought.

And I don't know what you're buying, but I've had plenty of problems with old vinyl too!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx