gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:03:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 116 117 118 [119] 120 121 122 123 124 ... 141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The return of the "What are you listening to now?" thread  (Read 805547 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #2950 on: January 19, 2017, 12:21:34 PM »

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Jarhead ghost
Smiley Smile Associate

"Unfinished Business"

View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: January 20, 2017, 07:42:12 PM »

I think I have a learning disability
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 07:47:38 PM by bigsurdrifter » Logged
Jarhead ghost
Smiley Smile Associate

"Unfinished Business"

View Profile
« Reply #2952 on: January 20, 2017, 07:44:00 PM »

SILENCE
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 07:46:15 PM by bigsurdrifter » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2953 on: January 20, 2017, 07:51:45 PM »

SILENCE

Try listening to some Hal Blaine.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2954 on: January 21, 2017, 01:36:36 AM »

I understand the love for "Paranoid Android" now.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2955 on: January 21, 2017, 07:09:41 AM »

I understand the love for "Paranoid Android" now.

Like Coldplay, Radiohead has never appealed to me, Well you can't win them all, I suppose...

What am I listening to as I make lasagna for nine?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L1EbLb1vXs

http://2350.org/pk163/

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2956 on: January 21, 2017, 12:47:58 PM »

I've tried several times in the past to get into Radiohead because one of my best friends loves that band. It might be her all-time favorite, although Tame Impala might be a close contender.

I had only tried individual songs and not their albums, however, and I think I like that listening experience more. Thom Yorke's voice wasn't instantly appealing to me, either, but I like it a lot more now.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: January 21, 2017, 12:53:07 PM »

Swans - We Rose from Your Bed with the Sun in Our Head

Such beautiful ugly music.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2958 on: January 22, 2017, 01:04:39 PM »

I mostly like this album, but there's just something about it that holds it back. Maybe it's the beginning of "Lament."

but who even cares because FRACTURE
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 01:08:50 PM by Bubs » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2959 on: January 22, 2017, 01:22:17 PM »

I mostly like this album, but there's just something about it that holds it back. Maybe it's the beginning of "Lament."

but who even cares because FRACTURE

Yes indeed, Bubs, it's a good album but oddly it's the only KC studio album I don't have from their debut through to Three of a Perfect Pair. The same hesitation as yours, perhaps?

The solo on "The Night Watch" is one of Fripp's best, in my opinion. And "Trio" is pretty well perfect...

Its successor, Red, boasts one of the best tracks by anyone, anywhere:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfR6_V91fG8

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2960 on: January 26, 2017, 06:10:24 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI1Xe1sAPgY

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2961 on: January 28, 2017, 02:56:46 PM »

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2962 on: February 05, 2017, 01:21:37 AM »

with Bubs.

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2963 on: February 05, 2017, 05:39:13 PM »

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2964 on: February 06, 2017, 03:02:53 AM »

Hey Mari, what are those last two albums? It's easier to ask than to start hunting about...

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2965 on: February 06, 2017, 07:00:43 AM »

I recommend this 1992 album wholeheartedly. On drums: Ginger Baker...

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2966 on: February 06, 2017, 11:59:30 AM »

Hey Mari, what are those last two albums? It's easier to ask than to start hunting about...
I made the last one, Springtime Carnivore's debut self-titled album, linkable. Click on the album to listen.

I forgot to do that with Swans's To Be Kind. however. I revisited some songs last night (the shorter ones, because that's easier). I don't know if Bubs has already convinced you to listen to them.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2967 on: February 06, 2017, 12:32:04 PM »

I made the last one, Springtime Carnivore's debut self-titled album, linkable. Click on the album to listen.

I forgot to do that with Swans's To Be Kind. however. I revisited some songs last night (the shorter ones, because that's easier). I don't know if Bubs has already convinced you to listen to them.

No,  he hasn't pushed Swans at me (yet, lol). Can is very cool so far. Radiohead, I'm sorry to say, is just not my cup of tea.

I'll be sure to check out Springtime Carnivore. Thanks! And regards to the Bubbly man.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: February 08, 2017, 02:19:28 AM »

One track works (and sounds great!) but the rest are blocked. Do you know whether Greta Morgan plays everything on it? I see no other names mentioned anywhere. I see she works with Paul Coady, who also worked on Future Islands' album Singles, a great favourite of mine. And stuff by Beach House, I see. Is that how you found Springtime Carnivore?

Anyway, it led me via Paul C to The Orwells and a cool album called Disgraceland, which I'm listening to now: 

https://youtu.be/g87QQ4RX_KU

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: February 08, 2017, 02:26:50 AM »

I saw the Orwells perform at an all-day summer concert thing a couple years ago. The band got rowdy, and the lead singer mooned the crowd.

So, anyway...
I'm not sure about the tracks. You can also look for her 2016 release, The Midnight Room. I haven't listened to it much myself, but you could try it out.

I think I enjoy this. '60s bliss with an electronic twist.

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2970 on: February 09, 2017, 02:33:28 PM »

I'm gonna have to click on your linkables more often.  I thought it was just a picture.  Springtime Carnivore is very likeable!  Might take me a few listens to get into her vocals, but the music is solid.

Swans... Still looking for a track I like well enough to comment on.  Will keep trying.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: February 09, 2017, 04:05:24 PM »

I'm gonna have to click on your linkables more often.  I thought it was just a picture.  Springtime Carnivore is very likeable!  Might take me a few listens to get into her vocals, but the music is solid.

Swans... Still looking for a track I like well enough to comment on.  Will keep trying.

This one's pretty easy to like: "No Cure for the Lonely" by Swans
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: February 09, 2017, 06:39:28 PM »

David gilmour-raise my rent

Alice in chains-whale and wasp

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: February 10, 2017, 12:40:02 AM »

JK, I'm curious to see what you think of this song.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: February 10, 2017, 02:11:51 AM »

JK, I'm curious to see what you think of this song.

I like it. I see THKOH have been around for at least eight years and I'd never heard of them. A familiar tale these days, I'm afraid, with so incredibly many bands around... 

Your song led into this one from their debut album. More good stuff. Nice to see the guys having fun:

https://youtu.be/TKw7G6n7U9M

As for Can, I'm afraid the inevitable has happened----the brilliant Tago Mago was enough for me. There was some problem with the playing speed of Ege Bamyasi and I just couldn't get into Future Days. I hope Josh will be able to forgive me some day. Grin   

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 116 117 118 [119] 120 121 122 123 124 ... 141 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx