gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:22:29 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 95 96 97 [98] 99 100 101 102 103 ... 141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The return of the "What are you listening to now?" thread  (Read 805980 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: August 07, 2015, 09:10:02 AM »

The Shins' 2007 album Wincing the Night Away, for the first time in probably five or six years.

A few things occurred to me. First, it's better than I remember it. I was very disappointed in it upon its release, feeling it was both substantially worse, song-wise, than its excellent predecessor, Chutes Too Narrow, but also an unfortunate sonic departure.

But second (and relevant), it's not really much of a sonic departure. As was the case in the reporting of albums like Kid A and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot upon their releases, history shows them as more in line with their creators' tendencies than was initially thought. Wincing now sounds just like a typical Shins album with a few examples of programmed synth added in. Really, the entire Shins catalog sounds pretty much of a piece.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: August 07, 2015, 12:08:46 PM »

Wincing the Night Away is one of my favorite albums... from the Shins, or from anyone, really.

Yeah, the Shins' early stuff is different than their last two albums. But it's a wonderful album to get into. Mercer's lyrics are top-notch on this album, and I love the way some songs transition into each other. I think I like the A-side better, too, although Turn On Me is such a beautiful song (with a weird music video...). Something about this album cheers me up, no matter what mood I'm in.

Have you heard their first album, when they were called Flake music and not the Shins? You seem pretty music savvy, so maybe you have Grin, but that's a fun album.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: August 07, 2015, 12:32:30 PM »

Have you heard their first album, when they were called Flake music and not the Shins? You seem pretty music savvy, so maybe you have Grin, but that's a fun album.

Yes. I wasn't aware of it in 1997, but I sought it out after getting into the Shins. It's OK. Sounds like what it is: an early album by someone who doesn't quite have it all together yet. Not as well crafted as their later work, to say the least, but you can hear them in there. It's more historical artifact than album for me, though. (That sounds like a shitty thing to say, but I don't mean it as an insult. Just the nature of the thing.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: August 10, 2015, 03:22:24 PM »

Yeah, it's not the greatest album of 1997 or anything, and I totally get what you mean. I mean, the early/demo years of a band tend to be that way. Tongue

I'm currently listening to Angel Olsen's Burn Your Fire for No Witness. My friend is in love with her. Also I must commend her for performing at the show I went to: the wind was knocking everything over and she was still singing through her wind-tossled hair.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: August 10, 2015, 04:36:20 PM »

I'm currently listening to Angel Olsen's Burn Your Fire for No Witness. My friend is in love with her. Also I must commend her for performing at the show I went to: the wind was knocking everything over and she was still singing through her wind-tossled hair.

There were about four songs off that album I really liked. Pretty good album overall.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #2430 on: August 12, 2015, 04:38:51 AM »

Great "music while you work" from a most unusual source:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYpSI0zIDas

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
shangaijoeBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: August 12, 2015, 12:00:32 PM »

THE APPLETREE THEATRE - PLAYBACK (1968)

Any other fan here of this amazing album? John Lennon said it was one of his favorite albums back in 1968.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwdk5C3d97M
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: August 12, 2015, 12:09:44 PM »

Any other fan here of this amazing album? John Lennon said it was one of his favorite albums back in 1968.

H'mm. I must investigate it further. I've linked it for bedtime listening. Thanks for the tip. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: August 12, 2015, 07:21:01 PM »

There were about four songs off that album I really liked. Pretty good album overall.
Yeah, I like Forgiven/Forgotten and Hi-Five.

I've kinda listened to White Denim in the past, but now I'm actually listening to their albums all the way through.

halblaineisgood
« Reply #2434 on: August 13, 2015, 01:37:54 AM »

The vers. of Christian Life w/ the Gram Parsons vocal. Really like that one.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 01:47:27 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: August 14, 2015, 09:12:32 AM »

I'm actually in love with them right now.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: August 14, 2015, 12:46:21 PM »

H'mm. I must investigate it further. I've linked it for bedtime listening. Thanks for the tip. :=)

Great little album, SJBB. Some astonishing musicians in the lineup----and it shows. :=) 

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: August 15, 2015, 07:58:12 AM »

Saint Motel's Voyeur. The same band responsible for "My Type," which is overplayed but still a fantastic single. Seeing them in concert today. I'm stoked.
Sad, though, I bought this LP a year or so ago but there's a scratch on the first song Sad.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 07:59:22 AM by undercover-m » Logged

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: August 15, 2015, 11:49:35 AM »

A great album that shows the guy has spent a lot of time listening to Brian Wilson. There is a 'Sunflower' like vibe on much of this. I know Bruce guested on later albums and I think I hear his vocals on this.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: August 15, 2015, 03:45:49 PM »

"Seasons" is an amazing song, but I just can't really get into anything else I've heard.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: August 17, 2015, 03:56:44 AM »

"Seasons" is an amazing song, but I just can't really get into anything else I've heard.

I've only heard it once all the way through, so I'm still out on it.

The first track of theirs that I heard was the album's closer, at Glastonbury (on TV).

To be continued...

Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: August 17, 2015, 07:59:12 AM »

Well, now I know better than to get tips from John Lennon. I guess it's passable, but ridiculously pretentious and dated, and not in a good way. John Boylan enjoyed a long and successful career as a record producer, most notably being involved with the first Boston album. Brother Terrence had an unsuccessful sporadic solo recording career.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 08:11:02 AM by krabklaw » Logged

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: August 17, 2015, 08:09:04 AM »

A great album that shows the guy has spent a lot of time listening to Brian Wilson. There is a 'Sunflower' like vibe on much of this. I know Bruce guested on later albums and I think I hear his vocals on this.

Oh yeah- the Beach Boys style harmonies are all over this album. Carmen was a really good pop songwriter too. All Beach Boys fans (everybody here I guess?) should check this one out- it's a gem.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: August 18, 2015, 09:43:11 AM »

Particularly "Nancy From Now On." I'm also more familiar with this than his newest.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: August 18, 2015, 04:33:09 PM »

Oh yeah- the Beach Boys style harmonies are all over this album. Carmen was a really good pop songwriter too. All Beach Boys fans (everybody here I guess?) should check this one out- it's a gem.

The follow up Boats Against the Current may be even better, shame the drop off was pretty rapid after that.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2445 on: August 18, 2015, 04:55:50 PM »

I haven't dedicated sufficient time to the albums to say much about them, but I can say that when I heard of the BBs connection on "Hey Deanie" and "She Did It," I bought and was wowed by those tracks. Some Eric Carmen is a bit too sentimental for me, but I am a big fan of some Raspberries stuff and think it's worth revisiting his solo albums to make sure I wasn't blowing them off.

Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: August 18, 2015, 11:40:31 PM »

I haven't dedicated sufficient time to the albums to say much about them, but I can say that when I heard of the BBs connection on "Hey Deanie" and "She Did It," I bought and was wowed by those tracks. Some Eric Carmen is a bit too sentimental for me, but I am a big fan of some Raspberries stuff and think it's worth revisiting his solo albums to make sure I wasn't blowing them off.
The first album is the only worthy thing he did as a solo. Totally jumped the shark after that but for a few stray tracks like Hey Deanie and She Did It. All four Raspberries albums are completely awesome in my book though. Their debut was the first album I ever bought because of Go All the Way. Last time I held it, the album jacket still had a raspberry smell.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: August 25, 2015, 02:33:27 AM »

This album never ceases to astonish
(click on image for details)...

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: August 25, 2015, 08:58:51 AM »

This.

Been spinning this a lot recently. Donald Fagan may be a smug twat but he sure does make brilliant music.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: August 25, 2015, 09:09:27 AM »

One of the few 60s icons not to make a fool of himself in the 1980s. In fact, I think this is one of his best records.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 95 96 97 [98] 99 100 101 102 103 ... 141 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx