gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:17:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The return of the "What are you listening to now?" thread  (Read 806101 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1200 on: July 18, 2012, 12:23:08 PM »

Jerry Lee Lewis - Live at the Star Club

I lend my CD to a friend about six years ago and she finally gave it back yesterday. Although I also have the album on L (minus "Down the line") I hadn't heard it in a very long time...
Impressive live LP, it is.  3D

When it cmes to Rock'n'Roll it is high on the list of the best. Probably right behind Elvis' "In person" album

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Danimalist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: July 18, 2012, 12:33:09 PM »

Bang Goes the Knighthood - The Divine Comedy

Not Neil's best, but he's got the type of mad melody/lyric/arrangement/production skills for which I am a sucker.
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: July 18, 2012, 01:08:04 PM »

Neil Young. Can't get enough of the guy recently. Bought his debut album through "Harvest" one week; the next "On the Beach" and "Tonight's the Night" and just yesterday bought "Zuma" and "Rust Never Sleeps". It may be a little bit of oversaturation and jumping in the deep end way too quick but there's something about the guy that just makes me want to constantly listen more.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: July 18, 2012, 01:09:51 PM »

The Who-"Relax" off of The Who Sell Out.

A discipline daddy.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: July 18, 2012, 01:32:31 PM »

The Who-"Relax" off of The Who Sell Out.
one of my favorites Smiley good taste
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: July 18, 2012, 04:08:11 PM »

NEU! 1 & 75 (can't seem to find my copy of 2.... bugger)

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: July 18, 2012, 04:39:22 PM »

Neil Young. Can't get enough of the guy recently. Bought his debut album through "Harvest" one week; the next "On the Beach" and "Tonight's the Night" and just yesterday bought "Zuma" and "Rust Never Sleeps". It may be a little bit of oversaturation and jumping in the deep end way too quick but there's something about the guy that just makes me want to constantly listen more.

Me too. I got lots of his stuff and would be happy to talk about it with ya.
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: July 19, 2012, 03:42:25 AM »

Me too. I got lots of his stuff and would be happy to talk about it with ya.

I'm up for that. Be nice to share thoughts on such a varied artist with another human being instead of just reading reviews on rateyourmusic Cheesy
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: July 19, 2012, 05:54:26 AM »

Albert King - The Definitive Albert King on Stax

2 CDs of that and a cup of hot coffee and I'm feeling alive again after a night of reading bleak Swedish thrillers.  Grin
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1209 on: July 19, 2012, 07:26:38 AM »

I like Albert King although I haven't heard that much stuff of him. His guitar playing is very nice

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Sie W
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: August 20, 2012, 02:47:53 PM »

American Spring - Spring not visited it for so long!!!
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: August 22, 2012, 08:39:57 AM »

I picked up a good LP of Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours"  at a yard sale this past weekend for $1. I'm finally getting around to giving it a spin. I've heard it on Spotify and from my dad's old LP collection which has seen a few too many parties, but this is the first time I've listened to a decent LP copy. Not bad.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: August 23, 2012, 01:02:32 PM »

The Free Design. The chillest band to ever walk the earth.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: August 29, 2012, 10:49:08 AM »

And ever since then, it's been the Since I Left You album by The Avalanches on repeat. OH MY GOD, IT'S AMAZING.

Sie W
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: September 06, 2012, 03:42:51 PM »

It's All Over Now Baby Blue - Them, how have I missed this gem after all thes years!!! Got the 7" of it few years back, hooked on it now.
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: September 07, 2012, 03:22:53 AM »

Still delving further into Neil Young. Right this second I'm listening to "Sleeps with Angels" which took me a while to get into. Definitely a night-time album like "Tonight's the Night" and "On the Beach". Also I think "Weld" has changed my views on life as we know it. Very much looking forward to "Psychedelic Pill".

Also a lot of krautrock, mainly Popol Vuh thanks to the Herzog connection, but a few dabblings into Amon Duul & Amon Duul II territory (Amon Duul's "Psychedelic Underground" is certainly ... something Tongue interesting backstory though)

And assorted other things, but I won't bore people with a super long post on all my musings Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 03:25:34 AM by Nuttin' Atol » Logged
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: September 07, 2012, 06:40:17 AM »

Beach Boys/Brian Wilson Rarities - just came across a "new" copy, checkin' it for pops and scratches

"Lady" on vinyl, mmmmm

My old copy may soon be up for grabs on the facebook sexchange - for those interested

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: September 07, 2012, 11:57:34 AM »

The Marit Larsen compilation If a Song Could Get Me You, taking tracks from her debut and sophomore solo albums (Under the Surface and The Chase). It's very sprightly, mainstream pop music! I really like "Only a Fool" and maybe you will too~
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: September 08, 2012, 06:45:58 PM »

D-D-Double post!

Now I'm listening to The Cat's Miaow compilation A Kiss and a Cuddle because I'm getting into twee pop. "Make a Wish" excerpts the famous bit of studio chatter where Brian asks Chuck if they can get a horse into the studio, and they even recorded an EP titled Pet Sounds. How anyone can think The Beach Boys aren't loved by so-called hipsters is beyond me!

Before this I was listening to ...And Don't the Kids Just Love It by Television Personalities, for the same reason. That album is wicked too!

edit: Now I'm listening to A Certain Smile, A Certain Sadness by Rocketship, on the third track now ("Heather, Tell Me Why") and though it's obviously more produced than the last two albums (not that this'd be hard...) it's already very good!

edit 2: I then listened to Backwash by Telulah Gosh -- the first, also apparently incredibly influential band Amelia Fletcher was in before she formed Heavenly (guess I listened in the wrong order because before that I was listening to Heavenly Versus Satan!) -- and while Heavenly certainly has a hell of a lot of hookiness, they're definitely "artier" compared to TG, though not by a crazy amount.

Now I'm finished up listening to Fun Trick Noisemaker by The Apples in Stereo. I don't find anything on here nearly as memorable as the albums I've heard by The Olivia Tremor Control (Dusk at Cubist Castle) or of Montreal (Cherry Peel, The Gay Parade) but it's not a horrible album by any means -- it just doesn't stick with me very long after it's done like those others did/do. Think I'll try Her Wallpaper Reverie next though as I've not heard that one yet...

edit 3: After listening to Her Wallpaper Reverie for the first time I think I feel the same way about this album as I do about their earlier one. I think the wrong Elephant 6 groups get the praise; Neutral Milk Hotel isn't that fantastic either!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 10:58:04 PM by Dr. Voldelabra » Logged
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: September 08, 2012, 07:45:18 PM »

Gene Pitney.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnSnyhu9TpU

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: September 13, 2012, 10:40:04 AM »

Dan Deacon - America.

BEST PLAYED VERY LOUDLY

halblaineisgood
« Reply #1221 on: September 14, 2012, 09:05:10 PM »

Holy sh*t! I forgot how good the Elvis Presley version of Promised Land is. Smokin I just picked up a reissue 45.

Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1222 on: September 15, 2012, 03:26:39 AM »

all the early Miracles albums (61-66)

People always say early motown stuff was about the single, well yeah BUT.. there is very little filler on those Miracles albums IMO

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: September 16, 2012, 08:49:31 AM »

Music From Big Pink.  Grin

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: September 16, 2012, 08:55:24 AM »

Music From Big Pink.  Grin
Great album that I have on vinyl, Bob just needs to release the full basement tapes of him and the band.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 141 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx