gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681011 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 06:43:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 103 104 [105] 106 107 108 109 110 ... 141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The return of the "What are you listening to now?" thread  (Read 819455 times)
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: March 15, 2016, 03:49:47 PM »

Anyway, I'm really digging "Uncle Mother's" by Protomartyr. I don't even know why I like this song. I guess getting into post-punk has opened a lot of new doors for me.

I just discovered this beautiful Tumblr: http://descriptionsofjoecasey.tumblr.com/
(Joe Casey is the singer)
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: March 15, 2016, 04:06:11 PM »

Anyway, I'm really digging "Uncle Mother's" by Protomartyr. I don't even know why I like this song. I guess getting into post-punk has opened a lot of new doors for me.

I just discovered this beautiful Tumblr: http://descriptionsofjoecasey.tumblr.com/
God, I'm just getting into this band but this is hilarious. I dig it.

The inverse Bono one got me. I don't know why but I can totally see that.
I find the English Teacher persona kind of funny. It's interesting since Ezra Koenig of Vampire Weekend (aka my future husband) majored in English and was a high school English teacher for a brief moment. His students thought HE was a student because of that young face. Anyway.... I digress.

I have until Memorial Day weekend to learn everything you know about Protomartyr, so have at it. Smiley

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: March 15, 2016, 04:08:15 PM »

On the subject of electronic music, a Smiley poster linked an Odesza track ("Keep Her Close") that sampled "Prayer" (darned if I can find the post in question). Anyway, it sounded great so I looked for more from them. Turns out they'd made a rather cool album called Summer's Gone. (And one of the duo calls himself Beaches Beaches!) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmdP5U2o-as 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odesza
I'm partial to local. I like Odesza because they, too, share that philosophy. I mean I guess I don't listen to them that often but they feature a small local female-lead group called Cumulus in this song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSYOzrwaSPo

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: March 15, 2016, 04:14:19 PM »

God, I'm just getting into this band but this is hilarious. I dig it.

The inverse Bono one got me. I don't know why but I can totally see that.
I find the English Teacher persona kind of funny. It's interesting since Ezra Koenig of Vampire Weekend (aka my future husband) majored in English and was a high school English teacher for a brief moment. His students thought HE was a student because of that young face. Anyway.... I digress.

I have until Memorial Day weekend to learn everything you know about Protomartyr, so have at it. Smiley

One fact that's particularly touching is the background of their song "Ellen." It's a song of love, written as though it's from his father to his mother. However, his father is deceased, and his mother has Alzheimer's. When he mentions keeping their memories safe for her, it occasionally gives me chills. They played this song live, and he stopped singing at one point and turned his back to the audience.

"Why Does It Shake?" is also about his mother, who saw her hand shaking, and asked the question that appears as the title.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: March 15, 2016, 08:23:43 PM »

One fact that's particularly touching is the background of their song "Ellen." It's a song of love, written as though it's from his father to his mother. However, his father is deceased, and his mother has Alzheimer's. When he mentions keeping their memories safe for her, it occasionally gives me chills. They played this song live, and he stopped singing at one point and turned his back to the audience.

"Why Does It Shake?" is also about his mother, who saw her hand shaking, and asked the question that appears as the title.
I skimmed their wikipedia the other day. Sounds like the lead singer hasn't had the easiest life. I feel a similar feeling with Sufjan's most recent album: going through a really terrible tragedy, yet being able to make gorgeous music out of it.

That's also a heartbreaking story behind "Why Does it Shake?"  Embarrassed

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: March 15, 2016, 09:27:05 PM »

So good.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: March 15, 2016, 10:27:44 PM »

I don't think I'll ever get tired of this album. I can study to it because I'm just so used to it. Second favorite album ever? Probably.
And that marks twice I've listened to the LP today.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: March 16, 2016, 05:03:52 AM »

I do feel slightly guilty about it, as it's still young people's music----usually I wait awhile before investigating the latest stuff.
Don't feel guilty! This is a good thing! I try to get my dad into new-ish music and it's quite satisfying to see him open up to the bands I like.

Thanks for the encouragement, u-m. I'm still on track (after a brief detour down the electronic highway).

Yesterday I listened to Another One----I'd say that was my favourite. The closing track is a stroke of genius!

Got a rock and roll night club to visit right now... 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
halblaineisgood
« Reply #2608 on: March 17, 2016, 08:52:06 AM »

James Brown Star Time
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 08:53:36 AM by Golden Raisins » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #2609 on: March 17, 2016, 09:00:12 AM »

So good.
Crying In The Rain is an incredible song.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2610 on: March 17, 2016, 12:44:02 PM »

So good.

Any advice on what else I should own from them? All I've got is this compilation, and I love it dearly.
I was looking at the Varese Sarabande collection of their Cadence material, and the Warner's comp Walk Right Back: The Everly Brothers on Warner Bros.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #2611 on: March 17, 2016, 03:49:14 PM »

So good.

Any advice on what else I should own from them? All I've got is this compilation, and I love it dearly.
I was looking at the Varese Sarabande collection of their Cadence material, and the Warner's comp Walk Right Back: The Everly Brothers on Warner Bros.
No advice. That looks like a real good comp, though. 

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: March 18, 2016, 06:09:42 PM »

halblaineisgood
« Reply #2613 on: March 18, 2016, 11:22:24 PM »

Pretty interesting stuff. I'll perhaps rip once i I get my good turntable out of hock.
I am convinced the crazy emails I've been sending to the library finally have started to pay off. They would usually never fulfill my strange interlibrary loan requests.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 11:23:28 PM by Golden Raisins » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #2614 on: March 19, 2016, 11:45:53 AM »

I'm listening to sam cooke - another saturday night right now...but could somebody seriously send me an mp3/wav/hit clipz/audio greeting card/flexi disc/loose change/pound notes/ bad checks/anything/gimme some money- of trout mask replica. this is no joke #cursed
( I can do my own mono fold downs. n/m that . it's complicated and uninterrsting as to why i need to do that.)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 11:53:41 AM by Golden Raisins » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: March 20, 2016, 04:09:07 AM »

Got a rock and roll night club to visit right now... 
Mission accomplished.

Great build to this album. Love his guitar sound (probably said that before).

I know Mr D has played Amsterdam in the past but he's not well-known here (I asked around and just got blank stares).

Hopefully this will change over time...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #2616 on: March 20, 2016, 08:23:36 AM »

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: March 21, 2016, 02:17:15 PM »

Arguably the best album by a band whose peaks can rival
anything to have come out of the UK in the late '60s, early '70s.   

KDS
« Reply #2618 on: March 22, 2016, 10:25:01 AM »

Free are a very underrated group.

In the US, they're usually referred to as a one hit wonder, featuring the future singer from Bad Company. 

But, they put out some really good material.  It's a pity Paul Kossoff (whose death inspired Bad Company's Shooting Star) and Andy Fraser are no longer with us.

My personal favorite is Wishing Well, wish is on their Heartbreaker album.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: March 22, 2016, 01:32:56 PM »

Free are a very underrated group.

In the US, they're usually referred to as a one hit wonder, featuring the future singer from Bad Company. 

But, they put out some really good material.  It's a pity Paul Kossoff (whose death inspired Bad Company's Shooting Star) and Andy Fraser are no longer with us.

My personal favorite is Wishing Well, wish is on their Heartbreaker album.

I didn't realize Andy Fraser had died too. His masterstroke of a contribution to "All Right Now" was to stay silent during the verse. Fraser is responsible for some of the most enlightened bass lines in pop.

"Wishing Well" is one fantastic song out of many. Still, my favourite has to be the studio version of "Mr. Big"----ye gods:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai-4zRRnD4k

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: March 22, 2016, 11:38:42 PM »

oh my god. This is so good.

The first song and Tarpeian Rock are so great. Another band to look forward to Memorial Day Weekend.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 11:40:16 PM by undercover-m » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: March 23, 2016, 04:01:19 AM »

oh my god. This is so good.

The first song and Tarpeian Rock are so great. Another band to look forward to Memorial Day Weekend.

Bookmarked for future listening.  This place is my passport to so much new and/or unfamiliar stuff... 

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: March 23, 2016, 11:43:27 AM »

I'm always happy to see another passenger on the Protomartyr train, but I've been raving about this band since September.
Do you now trust undercover-m after listening to Mac DeMarco?
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: March 23, 2016, 11:58:45 AM »

I'm always happy to see another passenger on the Protomartyr train, but I've been raving about this band since September.
Do you now trust undercover-m after listening to Mac DeMarco?

Yes, I now trust undercover-m. At least I think I do. Cool Guy

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: March 23, 2016, 08:54:20 PM »

God, I love Big Star/Alex Chilton (and the photography of William Eggleston).
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 103 104 [105] 106 107 108 109 110 ... 141 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx